• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Mega Evolutions Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only when there is a Primal? So can't use it any other time? That's not okay imo.

Axelsaurus

Rayquaza mega evolves when a Primal is on the field to counter it, riddle solved!

But that's simply untrue, as official videos already revealed that it can mega evolve whenever you want (we just don't know how). Also, it would be really a terrible solution both in-game and competitively.

DanteKoriyu

It doesn't activate only when used against a Primal. We've seen it battle other Pokemon while Mega Evolved without encountering one.

It likely has something to do with its new Signature Attack, which isn't in its learnset. Though there is probably more to it than just the move.

I Like Pie!

Smile smile smile!
I am honestly very impressed at Mega Beedrill's stat distribution. Especially where the useless SpA was reduced.
Higher Atk and Spe than Mega Salamence, and better damage output too!
Too bad its STABs aren't that good, and it is super weak to priority (especially Brave Bird).

Nonetheless, this was a huge boost for the forgotten early bug. :3

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Yeah, given that the Mega Evolution restriction is connected to the use of the keystone, Mega Rayquaza might not affect this restriction since it appears to be able to Mega Evolve without any of that. We'll just have to wait and see though, and if it can hold other items then the restriction hardly matters.

Aside from Dragon Ascent though, I'm starting to think that the other trigger for being able to Mega Evolve is going to be an in-game plot event. From what we know with the lore, there's a rainbow colored stone involved and I find it hard to believe that this item is the only "Mega Stone" left out of the demo's code when we've got so much of the rest of the game in there. My hypothesis is that this rainbow stone might be a geographical landmark that triggers its ability to Mega Evolve through an event within the game.

DanteKoriyu

Assuming the flag trigger event is story related, I'll chuckle if that means that any Groudon and Kyorge can undergo Primal Reversion by holding the orbs, but only the in-game ORAS Rayquaza can Mega Evolve. Meaning no shiny (presumably since XY Legends were locked) or V-Create Mega Ray-Ray. xD

saPower1000

FLIP ALL THE TABLES
Yeah, given that the Mega Evolution restriction is connected to the use of the keystone, Mega Rayquaza might not affect this restriction since it appears to be able to Mega Evolve without any of that. We'll just have to wait and see though, and if it can hold other items then the restriction hardly matters.

Aside from Dragon Ascent though, I'm starting to think that the other trigger for being able to Mega Evolve is going to be an in-game plot event. From what we know with the lore, there's a rainbow colored stone involved and I find it hard to believe that this item is the only "Mega Stone" left out of the demo's code when we've got so much of the rest of the game in there. My hypothesis is that this rainbow stone might be a geographical landmark that triggers its ability to Mega Evolve through an event within the game.

I'd assume this stone would be located somewhere in Sky Pillar, like maybe in catacomb like area below the tower, or even just being found after catching Rayquaza?
And does it have to have Dragon Ascent to Mega Evolve? That's okay (kinda like Relic Song in a way) but then it loses out on a bit of coverage. Though, if it has DD, E-Speed, Dragon Ascent and some fire type move, the only thing that walls it (somewhat) is Heatran, by virtue of type (which isn't that big a deal anyway, and you can just remove E-Speed for EQ).

Oh and V-Create will be everywhere :p

XXD17

Draco rex
So apparently someone on Pokebeach said that the primals are different from megas in the sense that there are no restrictions...meaning you can have a primal groudon, a primal kyogre AND a mega on the same team...now imagine if that mega was rayquaza and let's say it could, I don't know, hold an item since it was said that it mega evolves differently...how broken would that be?! Even in Ubers...

BurningWhiteKyurem

So apparently someone on Pokebeach said that the primals are different from megas in the sense that there are no restrictions...meaning you can have a primal groudon, a primal kyogre AND a mega on the same team...now imagine if that mega was rayquaza and let's say it could, I don't know, hold an item since it was said that it mega evolves differently...how broken would that be?! Even in Ubers...

Ubers will be very samey now, if it hasn't been already. Probably Dual Weather with some powerhouses and call it a day.

Hidden Power

It won't be broken if your opponent uses them as well. As far as competitive metagame is concerned Uber functions more as a banlist rather than a proper tier, so it won't really matter if a certain Pokemon (or Pokemon core) dominates the usage stats.

Honestly, I'm have no idea what some of you intend to do with some of these overpowered beasts. Most 600+ BST legendaries are banned from official tournament and in-game battle facilities, while the metagame bans those that are actually threatening in single battles. Which leaves us with what, fighting E4 over and over and dueling random strangers who 'don't want to follow Smogon/PO rules' but end up using the same few overpowered pokes as you?

saPower1000

FLIP ALL THE TABLES
It won't be broken if your opponent uses them as well. As far as competitive metagame is concerned Uber functions more as a banlist rather than a proper tier, so it won't really matter if a certain Pokemon (or Pokemon core) dominates the usage stats.

Honestly, I'm have no idea what some of you intend to do with some of these overpowered beasts. Most 600+ BST legendaries are banned from official tournament and in-game battle facilities, while the metagame bans those that are actually threatening in single battles. Which leaves us with what, fighting E4 over and over and dueling random strangers who 'don't want to follow Smogon/PO rules' but end up using the same few overpowered pokes as you?

You mean in OU and below correct? Since like you said, nothing is banned from Ubers.
Honestly, it could be interesting to see the 2 Primals + Mega Ray on both teams, as then it comes down to support and prediction to win (although the Delta Stream ability is supreme).
Not arguing for the use of all three on a team, but it could be fun. Although, it could also be extremely boring.

XXD17

Draco rex

There's random battle option on battle spot...it's actually pretty fun...not everyone is super competitive and you can use legendaries for the fun...as well as allowing me to play around with random strategies like prankster illumine and harvest tropius...and surprisingly, most people don't bring teams of ubers...but with the advent of the primals, I can see every team on random battles turning into kyogre, groudon, and four megas to choose from depending on what your opponent has...

Hidden Power

You mean in OU and below correct? Since like you said, nothing is banned from Ubers.

Yep, that's what I meant.

There's random battle option on battle spot...it's actually pretty fun...not everyone is super competitive and you can use legendaries for the fun...as well as allowing me to play around with random strategies like prankster illumine and harvest tropius...and surprisingly, most people don't bring teams of ubers...but with the advent of the primals, I can see every team on random battles turning into kyogre, groudon, and four megas to choose from depending on what your opponent has...

For the purpose of testing out gimmick sets I use Smogon's battle simulator, when I was active that is. As for the fun factor, they'll be fun for the first couple of weeks maybe, but once the dust has settled I could hardy imagine how it would be fun to bring a couple of legendary primals and megas to random battles and expect to have a interesting battle. Most likely you'll either 1) sweep unprepared teams, 2) face a similar team, 3) faced a skilled battler with an OU or below team who either wins and makes a Youtube video of the battle or loses and criticizes you for using mainly Ubers. After all, there's a good reason why Ubers isn't the most popular tier despite having the least restriction in Pokemon usage. It's a banlist for OU, and the power gap is too wide for most Pokemon to form part of the team.

Looking at the list of ORAS megas, I think there is a better mix of defensive and offensive pokes compared to XY's, many of which were stupidly offensive, although I have my reservations about how well can those defensive pokes take up their role.

Right off the bat one can expect M-Swampert to be a better tank than before, most likely to OU. Likewise for M-Metagross, who gets a more useful ability in conjunction with its 145 Atk and 110 Speed. These two would be the equivalent of M-Venusaur; hits hard (or harder), and tanks well.

M-Altaria becomes even bulkier than ever, though the 100 points were distributed too widely across Atk, Def, Sp. Atk and Sp, Def, to the point of evening them out to ~110 each. It could hit fairly hard with Pixilate, and can be unpredictable as to whether it runs a physical or special set, but at the same time it suffers from 4MSS and doesn't excel in any particular role, so I think it'll sit on the higher end of UU.

M-Slowbro, I honestly don't think it'll be better than normal Slowbro. Where in the past it would be barely dragged down by paralysis (since it's slow to begin with), burn (special attacker) and toxic (regenerator), the lost of regenerator (and leftovers, now that it's holding a megastone) means that it can't recover lost HP from the latter two statuses while switching out (to reset toxic counter). Can't imagine it staying in and walling the opponent all day with Shell Armour either, unless you have BOTH Calm Mind and Substitute in the set, set up a sub before your opponent uses a status move, and hope that they don't have Roar/Whirlwind.

M-Steelix, eh... I'm mostly a RU and NU battler, and from past experience Steelix and Aggron are like the best buddies of Gen 5 RU; you thought they'll be great, but turns out they aren't (weak to the highly common Fighting type, disabled by burns, no recovery move, can't handle any mildly strong special attack). Aggron gains some adjustments to improve its defenses such that it's decent enough to be used in UU, but Steelix looks like it only gains a chunk of offensive power, which can be easily disabled with a simple burn. Won't be surprised if it goes from it's current Gen 6 NU back to RU (like M-Banette).

Last edited:

shadowF

I remember everyone was saying mega sceptile sucks because of its lighting rod ability but now with the demo leak, does it still suck or do you guys think it is a pretty good mega?

Hidden Power

I remember everyone was saying mega sceptile sucks because of its lighting rod ability but now with the demo leak, does it still suck or do you guys think it is a pretty good mega?

Speaking for just singles I think it'll most likely end up in UU, where it can check (probably not counter, too frail to even handle a neutral or resisted move) a couple of the top threats there, whereas in OU it's threatened or walled by way too many A-listers. The changes after m-evolving doesn't really revolutionize its original role as a fast but frail hitter. If you run a physical set on m-Sceptile (with its 110 Atk) you're effectively using the equivalent of normal Sceptile (with 105 Sp. Atk) running a special set, which is a waste of mega slot.

Last edited:

XXD17

Draco rex
Yep, that's what I meant.

For the purpose of testing out gimmick sets I use Smogon's battle simulator, when I was active that is. As for the fun factor, they'll be fun for the first couple of weeks maybe, but once the dust has settled I could hardy imagine how it would be fun to bring a couple of legendary primals and megas to random battles and expect to have a interesting battle. Most likely you'll either 1) sweep unprepared teams, 2) face a similar team, 3) faced a skilled battler with an OU or below team who either wins and makes a Youtube video of the battle or loses and criticizes you for using mainly Ubers. After all, there's a good reason why Ubers isn't the most popular tier despite having the least restriction in Pokemon usage. It's a banlist for OU, and the power gap is too wide for most Pokemon to form part of the team.

Looking at the list of ORAS megas, I think there is a better mix of defensive and offensive pokes compared to XY's, many of which were stupidly offensive, although I have my reservations about how well can those defensive pokes take up their role.

Right off the bat one can expect M-Swampert to be a better tank than before, most likely to OU. Likewise for M-Metagross, who gets a more useful ability in conjunction with its 145 Atk and 110 Speed. These two would be the equivalent of M-Venusaur; hits hard (or harder), and tanks well.

M-Altaria becomes even bulkier than ever, though the 100 points were distributed too widely across Atk, Def, Sp. Atk and Sp, Def, to the point of evening them out to ~110 each. It could hit fairly hard with Pixilate, and can be unpredictable as to whether it runs a physical or special set, but at the same time it suffers from 4MSS and doesn't excel in any particular role, so I think it'll sit on the higher end of UU.

M-Slowbro, I honestly don't think it'll be better than normal Slowbro. Where in the past it would be barely dragged down by paralysis (since it's slow to begin with), burn (special attacker) and toxic (regenerator), the lost of regenerator (and leftovers, now that it's holding a megastone) means that it can't recover lost HP from the latter two statuses while switching out (to reset toxic counter). Can't imagine it staying in and walling the opponent all day with Shell Armour either, unless you have BOTH Calm Mind and Substitute in the set, set up a sub before your opponent uses a status move, and hope that they don't have Roar/Whirlwind.

M-Steelix, eh... I'm mostly a RU and NU battler, and from past experience Steelix and Aggron are like the best buddies of Gen 5 RU; you thought they'll be great, but turns out they aren't (weak to the highly common Fighting type, disabled by burns, no recovery move, can't handle any mildly strong special attack). Aggron gains some adjustments to improve its defenses such that it's decent enough to be used in UU, but Steelix looks like it only gains a chunk of offensive power, which can be easily disabled with a simple burn. Won't be surprised if it goes from it's current Gen 6 NU back to RU (like M-Banette).

Personally, I don't bring uber legendaries to random battle spot...never have, never will...the closest I have brought was a status spreader mega gengar and mega kangaskhan when it first came out (when mega khan was first revealed, I immediately fell in love with its ability and considering that khan has always been tied with zangoose, and now heliolisk, as my favorite normal type, it immediately became my favorite mega and I was extremely eager to try it out when everyone was bashing it's design and fawning over mega lucario and megazard X...little did I expect it to go to ubers)...it's just nice to have the option to use Ubers as well as certain nonuber banned legendaries liked meloetta, manaphy and victini, which always find a way on my teams (I use choice scarf victini A LOT)....in addition, I also really enjoy the 3v3 format because it actually allows more pokemon to shine simply because of the luck factor based on choice of pick...I know more luck =/= good, but the fun factor is there and battle spot is more so fun rather than competitive...finally, there's just something satisfying about beating an actual other person with the pokemon you specifically raised rather generated on Showdown (I know they are essentially the same and I do indeed battle competitively on Smogon as well, but being able to battle with the pokes you bred and raised has a different feel to it)...I especially recall one battle where i seed-stalled a megazard X with my tropius (Bananarama)...it was a great battle that couldn't have happened on showdown due to Smogon's competitive nature...

battle spot is a place where you can play competitive but it's more fun because it's faster paced with an extra factor that isn't necessarily all bad...Now on random battles (even though you see whole legend teams at times, chances are, they are just kids having fun and they won't be hard to beat if you have a decent team) MOST PEOPLE bring completely reasonable pokes...I just don't want such an environment to become saturated by these new mega mons because the talonflames, aegislashes, and greninjas have only recently started dying down (the only OU pokes that I still see consistently here are chomp and rotom wash)....however, with the power that these new beasts bring, I see such a change as inevitable...

Also, is it just me or am I the only one who doesn't feel bad about losing to a mewtwo Y, darkrai, and arceus when I had a team of ferrothorn, linoone, and gardevoir? The matchup is definitely not fair so I definitely considered that fact that there would be a greater chance that I lose rather than win...but this is battle spot and I should expect stuff like this by now right? There really is no reason to get mad at my opponent over my loss (especially since I took out his mewtwo and darkrai with my linoone before losing :p)...I just really appreciate the player base for not currently saturating this environment with users even though they are fully entitled to...

Last edited:

Hidden Power

Personally, I don't bring uber legendaries to random battle spot...never have, never will...the closest I have brought was a status spreader mega gengar and mega kangaskhan when it first came out (when mega khan was first revealed, I immediately fell in love with its ability and considering that khan has always been tied with zangoose, and now heliolisk, as my favorite normal type, it immediately became my favorite mega and I was extremely eager to try it out when everyone was bashing it's design and fawning over mega lucario and megazard X...little did I expect it to go to ubers)...it's just nice to have the option to use Ubers as well as certain nonuber banned legendaries liked meloetta, manaphy and victini, which always find a way on my teams (I use choice scarf victini A LOT)....in addition, I also really enjoy the 3v3 format because it actually allows more pokemon to shine simply because of the luck factor based on choice of pick...I know more luck =/= good, but the fun factor is there and battle spot is more so fun rather than competitive...finally, there's just something satisfying about beating an actual other person with the pokemon you specifically raised rather generated on Showdown (I know they are essentially the same and I do indeed battle competitively on Smogon as well, but being able to battle with the pokes you bred and raised has a different feel to it)...I especially recall one battle where i seed-stalled a megazard X with my tropius (Bananarama)...it was a great battle that couldn't have happened on showdown due to Smogon's competitive nature...

battle spot is a place where you can play competitive but it's more fun because it's faster paced with an extra factor that isn't necessarily all bad...Now on random battles (even though you see whole legend teams at times, chances are, they are just kids having fun and they won't be hard to beat if you have a decent team) MOST PEOPLE bring completely reasonable pokes...I just don't want such an environment to become saturated by these new mega mons because the talonflames, aegislashes, and greninjas have only recently started dying down (the only OU pokes that I still see consistently here are chomp and rotom wash)....however, with the power that these new beasts bring, I see such a change as inevitable...

I don't see how 'competitive' environments like Smogon's PS don't allow you to test out fun/gimmicky sets. All you need is a username, get a team together, and start battling. Most people wouldn't even care about what team you use, and for a simulator that allows you to chat while battling I rarely get any bashing or criticism. On the contrary many people are fine with sharing tips or revealing set (near the end of the match), which in the long runs helps people who just start out. As long as you're graceful in defeat (as most PS users are) and aren't bothered by rankings, there's nothing threatening about 'competitive' environment.

XXD17

Draco rex
I don't see how 'competitive' environments like Smogon's PS don't allow you to test out fun/gimmicky sets. All you need is a username, get a team together, and start battling. Most people wouldn't even care about what team you use, and for a simulator that allows you to chat while battling I rarely get any bashing or criticism. On the contrary many people are fine with sharing tips or revealing set (near the end of the match), which in the long runs helps people who just start out. As long as you're graceful in defeat (as most PS users are) and aren't bothered by rankings, there's nothing threatening about 'competitive' environment.

It's not the environment not allowing you but moreso just a personal thing for me...when I'm on Smogon, all of my teams are cut and dry competitive teams that I know that gets the job done...I just personally feel less inclined to experiment on Showdown, but that's just me...when I'm on Showdown, I'm there to win lol...pokemon turns into a numbers game for me since I know my opponent's pokemon's base specs outside of the variables...on battle spot random, you can never even be sure your opponent even IV breeds or EV trains so I generally worry less about the numbers and more about what pokemon I want to use rather than should use...therefore, I feel less inclined to win on battle spot as opposed to Showdown and and generally more concerned about just playing pokemon rather than winning a game...but that's just me lol

Back on topic: Apparently they were able to hack the new hoopa form's cry in the demo as well as find a corresponding item to have it change form...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.