• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Mega Evolutions Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

saPower1000

FLIP ALL THE TABLES
Yeah that was seriously the dumbest thing; even Pokemon that didn't have their secondary STAB before this game *Mega Ampharos w/Dragon* at least got Dragon Pulse via level-up which was perfectly reasonable. I really saw no reason for Crunch to be left out in X/Y, when they full-well knew it was going to be part Dark-typing. I know I ranted about that forever when I saw it only had Bite/Payback. xD

M-Lopunny is really sweet, being able to switch out and potentially completely heal your next switch-is in is awesome. Not to mention that nothing is completely resistant to it either w/Fighting.
I have yet to try out Mega Metagross, it seems like an absolute beast whether you go for Hone-Claws or Agility. Seems nice to have that flexibility because of the nice Defense-boost.
I also still want to try out Metagross and Beedrill. I was excited for Pideotto at first, but its move-pool is so barren it leaves little to work with, I dunno. Might give it a shot later on.

Ooh have fun with Gallade, I bet he's be great in Doubles too, especially on the supportive side of things. ;o

Well you might want to test out M-Metagross quickly, as right now it's being suspect tested.
I dunno about Pidgeot too. Still half in half because it does still have a useable (barely) movepool, and STAB 100% accurate Hurricanes are no joke coming off that Sp.A it has. It's also immune to one one of the most common spam moves, so it has that too.

Mega Beedril I've still been trying to figure out a team for, since you have to keep it away from SR, Priority and Talonflame at all times. Definition of "glass cannon".
I did here about how M-Lop is a big threat, with M-Meta, M-Sableye, and Keldeo being the ring leaders of OU (in terms of viability) right now. I have one ready to train and everything, so I'll have to test it out.

malcolm_n

Pokemon Collector
I haven't tried to raise M-Lopunny just yet, preferring instead my M-Swampert, but then I'm not really a competitive sort. M-Tyranitar is still my favorite overall, but I plan to start focusing more on the ORAS megas again now that I found my games (we recently moved).

M-Beedrill may be a glass cannon, but paired with a good pokemon to clear SR it stands a good chance in doubles, imho.

SoulOfSilver

Gym Leader
I'm using Mega Swampert and Mega Sharpedo for my all-Water OR run, and I'm definitely enjoyng them both! Mega Swampert is a monstrous beast and I love his design. Mega Sharpedo is terrifying, looks like Freddy Kreuger lol. His name is Hades which seems appropriate. ;260; ;319;

cryuel

Yeah that was seriously the dumbest thing; even Pokemon that didn't have their secondary STAB before this game *Mega Ampharos w/Dragon* at least got Dragon Pulse via level-up which was perfectly reasonable. I really saw no reason for Crunch to be left out in X/Y, when they full-well knew it was going to be part Dark-typing. I know I ranted about that forever when I saw it only had Bite/Payback. xD

M-Lopunny is really sweet, being able to switch out and potentially completely heal your next switch-is in is awesome. Not to mention that nothing is completely resistant to it either w/Fighting.
I have yet to try out Mega Metagross, it seems like an absolute beast whether you go for Hone-Claws or Agility. Seems nice to have that flexibility because of the nice Defense-boost.
I also still want to try out Metagross and Beedrill. I was excited for Pideotto at first, but its move-pool is so barren it leaves little to work with, I dunno. Might give it a shot later on.

Ooh have fun with Gallade, I bet he's be great in Doubles too, especially on the supportive side of things. ;o

Isn't Pideot (not Pidgeotto ;) ) not a good supporter in Doubles, in spite of its rather lacklustre offensive move pool?

My favorite of the new MEs for ORAS has got to be Metagross. It's incredibly fast and powerful, it can finally make use of Agility, and it gets plenty of direct-contact moves to take advantage of its amazing ability. Plus, dat shiny form! <3 GLORIOUS!!!

Another ME I'm pleasantly surprised with is Altaria. I was not expecting M-Altaria to be so good, but it is, and it's my new favorite Dragon-type ME. Sorry, Megamence and Rayquayquay, but the Q-tip dragon wins my heart! <3 Also, Lisia's M-Altaria is a beast in contests! Ali kicked the crap outta my Cosplay Pikachu twice, before I upped my appeals game and started taking the fight directly to him.

Last edited:

Reisuke

Apparently i died
My favorite of the new MEs for ORAS has got to be Metagross. It's incredibly fast and powerful, it can finally make use of Agility, and it gets plenty of direct-contact moves to take advantage of its amazing ability. Plus, dat shiny form! <3 GLORIOUS!!!

I don't even think you have to run agility with it's already great speed and with his bulk and it's typing gives it a great recistance against fightning moves so our dear mega bunny can't easely kill it

Cradily17

These are dream megas I would love to see happen in the future:

Mega Meganium
Grass/Fairy
Gets Dazzling Gleam and Moonblast
Ability: Regenerator
Stats:
HP: 80
Attack: 82
Defense: 140 (+40)
Sp. Attack: 103 (+20)
Sp. Defense: 140 (+40)
Speed: 80

Mega Serperior
Grass/Dragon
Ability: Contrary
Stats:
HP: 75
Attack: 75
Defense: 95
Sp. Attack: 155 (+80)
Sp. Defense: 95
Speed: 133 (+20)

Mega Cradily
Rock/Grass
Ability: Poison Heal
Stats:
HP: 86
Attack: 101 (+20)
Defense: 127 (+30)
Sp. Attack: 101 (+20)
Sp. Defense: 137 (+30)
Speed: 43

Mega Torterra
Grass/Ground
Ability: Solid Rock
Stats:
HP: 95
Attack: 109
Defense: 155 (+50)
Sp. Attack: 75
Sp. Defense: 135 (+50)
Speed: 56

I don't even think you have to run agility with it's already great speed and with his bulk and it's typing gives it a great recistance against fightning moves so our dear mega bunny can't easely kill it

M-Metagross is neutral to Fighting, not resistant. And yes, it doesn't NEED Agility, but having it is no longer rendered moot by a crappy base Speed stat. Instead, it adds tremendously to M-Metagross' threat level, to the point that even Hammer Arm, with its nasty Speed drop, becomes a deadly weapon in M-Meta's arsenal. Even at +1 Speed, it's still fast enough to outrun many of the more common 'mons in the VGC metagame.

devilmonkey

ROWROWFightDaPOWAH
Is MegaGross really that big of a deal? I don't think I've ever struggled against one. Sure, if you let it set up it can be a monster, but that's true of any set-up sweeper out there. Thought I suppose I've only had experience battling it in singles format.

PS.
These are dream megas I would love to see happen in the future:
Mega Cradily
Rock/Grass
Ability: Poison Heal
Stats:
HP: 86
Attack: 101 (+20)
Defense: 127 (+30)
Sp. Attack: 101 (+20)
Sp. Defense: 137 (+30)
Speed: 43
I don't even know if the stat boosts are reasonable here, but the idea of 1) A Mega for Cradily and B) Another Poke with Poison Heal made my heart flutter. Now if only there was a reliable way to inflict poison on itself since it's item space is filled with a mega stone...

Reisuke

Apparently i died
M-Metagross is neutral to Fighting, not resistant. And yes, it doesn't NEED Agility, but having it is no longer rendered moot by a crappy base Speed stat. Instead, it adds tremendously to M-Metagross' threat level, to the point that even Hammer Arm, with its nasty Speed drop, becomes a deadly weapon in M-Meta's arsenal. Even at +1 Speed, it's still fast enough to outrun many of the more common 'mons in the VGC metagame.

Yeah sorry about that. But why would you actually run hammer arm and agility because you'll have to boost again or stop using hammer arm in the end. so basicly you're wasting a slot on hammer arm (this is my own opinion) because you'll be wasting turns on it

And divelmonkey to me no and others might also have close to a problem because most teams do have a pokemon that can take care of him if you wanted to do that or not, you most of time have one. But the actual problem with it is switching because if the opponent can predict the switch and set up you will have a problem.

cryuel

Yeah sorry about that. But why would you actually run hammer arm and agility because you'll have to boost again or stop using hammer arm in the end. so basicly you're wasting a slot on hammer arm (this is my own opinion) because you'll be wasting turns on it

And divelmonkey to me no and others might also have close to a problem because most teams do have a pokemon that can take care of him if you wanted to do that or not, you most of time have one. But the actual problem with it is switching because if the opponent can predict the switch and set up you will have a problem.

What's the point of having Fighting coverage on Metagross in the first place? The things its good against, like Rock or Ice could be addressed with Steel moves. As for Dark types, it might not be wise to stick around for many of those that run Sucker Punch. Maybe my experience in this is limited, but I don't see the need for a fighting move on Metagross, let alone Agility and Hammer Arm. :S

NotABeginningTrainer

What's the point of having Fighting coverage on Metagross in the first place? The things its good against, like Rock or Ice could be addressed with Steel moves. As for Dark types, it might not be wise to stick around for many of those that run Sucker Punch. Maybe my experience in this is limited, but I don't see the need for a fighting move on Metagross, let alone Agility and Hammer Arm. :S

Hammer Arm is mostly an alternative to earthquake if you want a contact move. The drawback being decreased coverage. It's still an option though.

cryuel

Hammer Arm is mostly an alternative to earthquake if you want a contact move. The drawback being decreased coverage. It's still an option though.

Options are abound in so many moves though. xD Well, to each their own I suppose, though it seems the disadvantages outweigh the benefits at least on first glance.

Oshakpop

Eeveelution Master
So Mega Flygon was being considered for both X and Y and OmegaRuby and Alpha Sapphire but they couldn't come up with a good design apparently, according to Ken Sugimori in the new Nintendo Dream interview!

mtie123

Johto's Hero
So Mega Flygon was being considered for both X and Y and OmegaRuby and Alpha Sapphire but they couldn't come up with a good design apparently, according to Ken Sugimori in the new Nintendo Dream interview!

I can kinda understand this, I've seen loads of concept art for M-Flygon and they have always looked awkward to me so they may have been struggling with the same problem

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan

You know what, if that's the problem, i don't mind, they wanted it to have a mega since the beginning and i'm happy for that. To be honest, as quite a bunch of pokemon too, flygon for me didn't make a good transition from sprite to model. I always loved RSE's flygon sprite and probably liked most of the following but now with his model he looks worse, i still look at the artwork and i love it so much but then the model and just...i don't really know what it is, if it is the tiny raptor arms or the not long enough "horns" but i just find it bad. It's kinda what happened to druddigon on reverse, as druddigon got amazingly cool with the model, flygon became bad.

So where i'm going with this is i understand it's hard to come up with a good mega flygon design. The fanarts are good but for me, i would like to see him going the dragonfly-esque route instead of just a bulked up version. wider wings, maybe an extra smaller set lower, lankier thighs, make it way faster. Flygon is surprisingly a simple design and sometimes the simple pokemon are the hardest to get a good mega design. Some get very good ones (lopunny, pidgeot) while others are just bad (audino, heracross, glalie and slowbro (god why?)). Not talking about stats or abilities, just the designs.

I would love it if they also asked about milotic and ken replied the same. That would be very cool.

Hero of Truth

Lillie Fan
If they are having trouble with coming with a good design for Mega Flygon, then I can give them all the time in the world. As long it's good, they can work around it for as long it takes, assuming of course they didn't give up on it. And I'm pretty sure that the same thing may happened with Mega Milotic too, since that Pokémon too was requested by many to get a Mega.

mtie123

Johto's Hero
You know what, if that's the problem, i don't mind, they wanted it to have a mega since the beginning and i'm happy for that. To be honest, as quite a bunch of pokemon too, flygon for me didn't make a good transition from sprite to model. I always loved RSE's flygon sprite and probably liked most of the following but now with his model he looks worse, i still look at the artwork and i love it so much but then the model and just...i don't really know what it is, if it is the tiny raptor arms or the not long enough "horns" but i just find it bad. It's kinda what happened to druddigon on reverse, as druddigon got amazingly cool with the model, flygon became bad.

So where i'm going with this is i understand it's hard to come up with a good mega flygon design. The fanarts are good but for me, i would like to see him going the dragonfly-esque route instead of just a bulked up version. wider wings, maybe an extra smaller set lower, lankier thighs, make it way faster. Flygon is surprisingly a simple design and sometimes the simple pokemon are the hardest to get a good mega design. Some get very good ones (lopunny, pidgeot) while others are just bad (audino, heracross, glalie and slowbro (god why?)). Not talking about stats or abilities, just the designs.

I would love it if they also asked about milotic and ken replied the same. That would be very cool.

Milotic is most likely in the same boat as Flygon, both have fairly simple but overall good designs and it must be hard to design a mega without going over the top

Skylander Sylveon

Top Coordinator
How did I not know this thread existed until now?!

Well, I have had quite a few teams on Omega Ruby and the first consisted of the most mega evolutions, it included:

Manetric
Altaria
Camerupt
Blaziken
Latios
Linoone

It was really awkward and I couldn't find a good Water type, so I scrapped it. >=p

A few idiotic and plain boring teams later I discovered the joys of the Safari Zone and bumped into a Buneary! After catching about fifty, I sent them to the daycare and after a few hours of hatching eggs and chucking them in a computer, I found the pearl! (i wasn't even doing it for a perfect nature, just for a female gender)

Melody! A Naive and Slightly Vain feisty Buneary who was pretty darn decent! After a day or three, I had bred a Lopunny! >=D And yes! It was OP! It's moveset even as we speak is: Charm, Return, Jump Kick and Dizzy Punch! BUT WAIT

I mega evolved it, jammed a Lopunnite in it's mouth and now I own one of the most beautiful, over-powered and speedy Pokemon I ever had the pleasure to own! So, very long story short, I'd totally recommend Lopunny to anyone who has an empty space in their Pokeball belt! :p She's a really good sweeper and can basically wipe out anything with her Jump Kick or Return. < Totally unstoppable with Max affection

So um yeah! It's awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.