• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Mega Evolutions Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

zapto369

Because I'm Worth It
And the Kangaskhanite in Pacifidlog town.

Yes, that too. There are a few that have no real rhyme or reason as to their location or means of acquiring them, that was just the first one that came to mind. On the flipside, there are a good number of them that too have reasons for their locations/acquisition, like the Gardevoirite and Sharpedonite (sp?).

Autobot N

Yes, that too. There are a few that have no real rhyme or reason as to their location or means of acquiring them, that was just the first one that came to mind. On the flipside, there are a good number of them that too have reasons for their locations/acquisition, like the Gardevoirite and Sharpedonite (sp?).

Also, don't forget getting the one of the Charizardites in the Fiery Path, and the Medichamite (I think) at Mt. Pyre.

zapto369

Because I'm Worth It
Also, don't forget getting the one of the Charizardites in the Fiery Path, and the Medichamite (I think) at Mt. Pyre.

The Charizardite (X maybe?) kind of makes sense since it's a fire-related area. Same as I believe the Charizardite Y is in the Scorched Slab, which also makes sense since the lore is that the sun forged that cave and Charizard Y's ability summons sunlight. And the Medichamite at Mt. Pyre also makes sense since you can catch Meditite in that area at the top of Mt. Pyre.

NotABeginningTrainer

And for some reason they decided to put one mewtwonite in the pokemon league and one in littleroot town... The pokemon league kind of makes sense but not littleroot.

And for some reason they decided to put one mewtwonite in the pokemon league and one in littleroot town... The pokemon league kind of makes sense but not littleroot.

I think I figured the significance of these mega stone locations out.

Mewtwonite X - Littleroot town is where you begin the game (your main adventure.
Mewtwonite Y - the Pokemon league is where you end the game (or your main adventure)

In X and Y, Xerneas and Yveltal essentially represent life (beginning) and death (ending)

Couple things to note:
1.) I might just be looking too much in to this
2.) If this was already obvious to others from the get-go, forgive me, I just made this connection now.

HM02gon

Waiting...

Mewtwonite X - Littleroot town is where you begin the game (your main adventure.
Mewtwonite Y - the Pokemon league is where you end the game (or your main adventure)

In X and Y, Xerneas and Yveltal essentially represent life (beginning) and death (ending)

Couple things to note:
2.) If this was already obvious to others from the get-go, forgive me, I just made this connection now.

Woah that actially makes sense. Another idea I just got from reading this would be to have them at The Cave or Origin and Mount Pyre, since you're mentioning the whole beginning and end thing.

There's a guy in Sootopolis ( I'm pretty sure) who says that The cave is the beginning (X) and Mt. Pyre is the end (Y)

Never mind though... just me and my mindless blubbering

zapto369

Because I'm Worth It

Couple things to note:

Mother of Mew... that's genius! I sure didn't make that connection, but it makes a whole lot of sense actually!

I haven't seen this posted here, but it's a translation of an interview, which gives a bit of background about why some Mega Evolutions were made, and why some weren't
A lot of interesting stuff in my opinion. I like that they said that the process of creating a Mega can start in different ways, sometimes the design is the main priority, other times it is the stats.
Onto specific ones, that the main reason that Mega Slowbro was made instead of Mega Slowking was that it wouldn't work that well with the concept of the shell swallowing it, which apparently was the basic idea. Mega Metagross gaining more speed instead of attack, as well as not getting Levitate to make sure it was versatile enough. Mega Pidgeot is also interesting, since it seems to be made because it is the ace of Blue making it "iconic"foreshadowing?.
They also mentioned that they wanted to make more different Mega Evolutions and not too many alike, which is why no other Normal/Flying type has a Mega yet. Mega Salamence was more of a simple case of "it looks strong, so it has to be strong".
It's also a bit relieving that they said that they will reject a Mega Evolution candidate if the basic design feels complete, although I do question that in some situations.

Last edited:

zapto369

Because I'm Worth It
I haven't seen this posted here, but it's a translation of an interview, which gives a bit of background about why some Mega Evolutions were made, and why some weren't
A lot of interesting stuff in my opinion. I like that they said that the process of creating a Mega can start in different ways, sometimes the design is the main priority, other times it is the stats.
Onto specific ones, that the main reason that Mega Slowbro was made instead of Mega Slowking was that it wouldn't work that well with the concept of the shell swallowing it, which apparently was the basic idea. Mega Metagross gaining more speed instead of attack, as well as not getting Levitate to make sure it was versatile enough. Mega Pidgeot is also interesting, since it seems to be made because it is the ace of Blue making it "iconic"foreshadowing?.
They also mentioned that they wanted to make more different Mega Evolutions and not too many alike, which is why no other Normal/Flying type has a Mega yet. Mega Salamence was more of a simple case of "it looks strong, so it has to be strong".
It's also a bit relieving that they said that they will reject a Mega Evolution candidate if the basic design feels complete, although I do question that in some situations.

That's an interesting read, actualyl, thank you for sharing. This kind of makes a lot of sense actually, especially when you take it in light of other statements Nintendo has made about things involving Megas such as the exclusion of Mega Flygon because they couldn't come up with a design that did it justice. It also kind of explains why, like we were talking about earlier in this thread, they didn't do "sets" like Beedrill and Butterfree, etc. I actually commend Nintendo/GameFreak on this, good stuff!

Aetius

Thank you for sharing this fantastic info! :)
So they kinda confirmed that not every Pokèmon will get a Mega and their current design could be the reason for that...
Too bad....but I kinda expected that.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Honestly I never figured every fully evolved Pokemon would get a Mega, that's a big thing to expect especially given the role Megas have in the game as being special and unique. Kind of hard to make them all unique if all of them have a Mega. Good to have confirmation that Game Freak is aware of what they're doing though and not just mindlessly overpowering things like some people think they are. Mega Salamence being simply "super strong" makes sense, if any Mega is going fit that then something as ruthless as Salamence is definitely the one for that role. I wonder if this rationale on making Megas is new though, since they did a way better job with stat distributions this time around and already have old Megas to look back on. Certainly it must be more refined.

Also would have been nice to hear the thoughts on some of the other new Megas though. I would have loved to hear why they did Beedrill over anything else, and why they did Audino but no other Gen 5 Megas (flavor-wise giving it Healer makes sense though even if it sucks). And of course I would have liked to hear why they explicitly gave Rayquaza the unique ability to not use a Mega Stone, and if they did indeed purposely set out to make it god tier like the in-game lore suggests. The whole unique aspect is definitely there though, honestly wouldn't be too surprised if it kept the "no item required for Mega Evolution" to itself.

Woah that actially makes sense. Another idea I just got from reading this would be to have them at The Cave or Origin and Mount Pyre, since you're mentioning the whole beginning and end thing.

There's a guy in Sootopolis ( I'm pretty sure) who says that The cave is the beginning (X) and Mt. Pyre is the end (Y)

Never mind though... just me and my mindless blubbering

Mother of Mew... that's genius! I sure didn't make that connection, but it makes a whole lot of sense actually!

Glad people appreciate the connection I made! :)

Thank you for sharing! :)

I have wanted to know how they came up with the design for Mega Slowbro.
Mystery solved!

Miss Meta Mon

I ♥ Poké Dolls
Even though they didn't make a Mega Slowking, I am hoping that they will consider making it in the future! :)

zapto369

Because I'm Worth It
Even though they didn't make a Mega Slowking, I am hoping that they will consider making it in the future! :)

They totally could, it would just require a different sort of design. Like instead of the shell eating it, maybe it could like wear the shell like a suit of armor with a really cool helmet/crown?

Miss Meta Mon

I ♥ Poké Dolls
They totally could, it would just require a different sort of design. Like instead of the shell eating it, maybe it could like wear the shell like a suit of armor with a really cool helmet/crown?

That would be kind of cool, actually! Maybe it would get Analytic (to tie in with Slowking's enhanced intelligence) and get a big buff to its Special Attack and a minor enhancement to its defenses.

zapto369

Because I'm Worth It
That would be kind of cool, actually! Maybe it would get Analytic (to tie in with Slowking's enhanced intelligence) and get a big buff to its Special Attack and a minor enhancement to its defenses.

I could see that, it would make sense, like you said for the enhanced intelligence. I could totally see the appeal. I don't necessarily see it really happening in light of the above article, but it certainly would be cool.

Miss Meta Mon

I ♥ Poké Dolls
I could see that, it would make sense, like you said for the enhanced intelligence. I could totally see the appeal. I don't necessarily see it really happening in light of the above article, but it certainly would be cool.

Not only that, but it would give Mega Slowking (if it even existed :p) a niche that its better cousin Slowbro has yet to outshine it in.

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan
Honestly I never figured every fully evolved Pokemon would get a Mega, that's a big thing to expect especially given the role Megas have in the game as being special and unique. Kind of hard to make them all unique if all of them have a Mega. Good to have confirmation that Game Freak is aware of what they're doing though and not just mindlessly overpowering things like some people think they are. Mega Salamence being simply "super strong" makes sense, if any Mega is going fit that then something as ruthless as Salamence is definitely the one for that role. I wonder if this rationale on making Megas is new though, since they did a way better job with stat distributions this time around and already have old Megas to look back on. Certainly it must be more refined.

Also would have been nice to hear the thoughts on some of the other new Megas though. I would have loved to hear why they did Beedrill over anything else, and why they did Audino but no other Gen 5 Megas (flavor-wise giving it Healer makes sense though even if it sucks). And of course I would have liked to hear why they explicitly gave Rayquaza the unique ability to not use a Mega Stone, and if they did indeed purposely set out to make it god tier like the in-game lore suggests. The whole unique aspect is definitely there though, honestly wouldn't be too surprised if it kept the "no item required for Mega Evolution" to itself.

I think when they said they wanted to boost some pokemon's stats they were actually talking about beedrill. Audino's ability makes sense but it's so bad in comparison to regenerator.

Now as for complete pokemon in their designs not getting megas, i call BS. When i look at lucario or garchomp, i see complete designs there (although i really don't like garchomp's claws) and i think mega garchomp is a perfect example not to follow. mega lucario turned out pretty good but garchomp's "add more spikes and have scythes for it's hands" was a bad design IMO. Sure, it looks very intimidating but a little silly at the same time. Venusaur is another example. Yeah, it's one of the original starters but it's design felt complete, proof being when you look at mega venusaur, it's just venusaur with a flower on it's head. You could say the same thing about charizard Y but IMO it's just different enough to justify it's existance. Other pokes that i think that have a weak design are aerodactyl, tyranitar, gardevoir, sharpedo (wasted potential) and for some extent pidgeot (although i like it a lot), All of these feel complete (maybe sharpedo doesn't being half a shark and all) but they have either not different enough mega designs or overdesigns (poor tyranitar, what have they done to you?). Of course this is all subjective.

Thanks for sharing endless!

Miss Meta Mon

I ♥ Poké Dolls
I think when they said they wanted to boost some pokemon's stats they were actually talking about beedrill. Audino's ability makes sense but it's so bad in comparison to regenerator.

Now as for complete pokemon in their designs not getting megas, i call BS. When i look at lucario or garchomp, i see complete designs there (although i really don't like garchomp's claws) and i think mega garchomp is a perfect example not to follow. mega lucario turned out pretty good but garchomp's "add more spikes and have scythes for it's hands" was a bad design IMO. Sure, it looks very intimidating but a little silly at the same time. Venusaur is another example. Yeah, it's one of the original starters but it's design felt complete, proof being when you look at mega venusaur, it's just venusaur with a flower on it's head. You could say the same thing about charizard Y but IMO it's just different enough to justify it's existance. Other pokes that i think that have a weak design are aerodactyl, tyranitar, gardevoir, sharpedo (wasted potential) and for some extent pidgeot (although i like it a lot), All of these feel complete (maybe sharpedo doesn't being half a shark and all) but they have either not different enough mega designs or overdesigns (poor tyranitar, what have they done to you?). Of course this is all subjective.

Thanks for sharing endless!

I think I tend to agree with all that, for the most part. I mean, if you compare two Mega Pokémon like Mega Garchomp and Mega Lopunny, it just feels like a Mega like Mega Lopunny got a lot more to justify its existence (like a drastically different design, enhanced playstyle, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.