1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

New Mega Evolutions Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Pokémon Generation VI Discussion' started by Hydrohs, May 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. magma grunt edu

magma grunt edu casual hardcore fan

So greninja is merging with ash. Hmm, i sense a new thing coming. It's certainly not mega evolution and it might even be only for the anime (which had some stuff exclusive I.E. real life guns) but if not, i would live to see it implemented depending on your hat/hair color and style, which you can change in XY. Even if it's only a special greninja (can you imagine the absurd amount of work for them to apply this to all existing pokemon). I would love it. And speaking of which (and way off topic), give us at least red hair color choice please.

2. I don't understand why mega sceptile has lightning rod. im not saying its bad but i dont know how he got it.

3. ^I'm not entirely sure, but I think it has something to do with how bigger it's tail get's when it Mega evolves.

4. Wulava

Wulava Chuffed to bits Staff Member Moderator

It is definitely the tail.

Other non-Electric type Pokemon that can have Lightning Rod are Cubone, Goldeen, and Rhyhorn lines. The ability is given based on their design.
    Cubone and Marowak's bones act as the rods. While Goldeen, Seaking, Rhyhorn, Rhydon, and Rhyperior's horns act as the rods.

5. Mega Altaria

Mega Altaria Shiny hunter

You know trees and lightning, right? Trees are sometimes tall enough to touch lightning but don't really attract it. You would expect the tree to burn, but in this case, the logic put into it is that when the tree touches lightning. The 'tree' could be used to describe Mega Sceptile's tail because it looks like one.

6. Shine

Shine Psyched Up Staff Member Moderator

The thing I don't understand even more about Mega Sceptile is why they decided to make it a Special Attacker themed after a very specific animation gimmick that rarely shows up anyway.

Based on Sceptile's design and movepool, by all accounts its Mega should have been a Physical Attacker.

7. i just wish they could bring out a mega dragonite

8. magma grunt edu

magma grunt edu casual hardcore fan

That is sad. I wish i could see sceptile's animation of firing his tail in more attacks and his standing pose in general is a little annoying, kinda like RSE mawile's. I like his other attack animations way better though. Also, same as all the lightning rod ground types, mega sceptile's ability, while it makes sense and it gives it a great sp attack boost, it's not beneficial for itself alone, being more useful on a switch (singles-wise) which you have to spend a turn to mega evolve to begin with. Seaking, while having a grass weakness as well, gets all the benefits from lightning rod, removing one weakness entirely. Sure, it's not a great pokemon by all means but that ability is such a godsend to it. Meanwhile, no one is gonna even consider attacking mega sceptile with an electric attack except for maybe volt switch. But hey, at least gyarados has the perfect partner for doubles now (or swanna or pelipper but who uses those?)

9. Rio!

Rio! Composer

I agree with this sentiment wholly; you're pretty much reduced to using one set including a powerful STAB that harshly drops your Special Attack with alongside Focus-Miss and Hidden Power. At least you have a lot more options on the Physical side other than hoping to get hit by a stray Thunderbolt or a partner's attack. I enjoy Mega Sceptile's design, I really do. I just like options and unfortunately, favoring the Special Attack for him did just that. =/

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  10. Ace Of Keys

Ace Of Keys Me and My sketch pad

I feel like Mega Sceptile wasn't too thoroughly thought through compared to some of the other megas introduced in ORAS. You have to bend backwards in order to use Mega Sceptile right and that can turn him off to serious gamers. I just hope they are able to remedy this. Sceptile is a good pokemon and has lots of potential

11. Alexander18

Alexander18 Banned

I am impressed with Primal Groudon. Ground/Fire type with Desolate Land to counter it's water weakness and 770 bst has made it a major powerhouse. The only thing to worry about is Cloud Nine pokemon, Primal Kyogre when it is sent out after it and Mega Rayquaza.

12. Victreebong

Victreebong Gives 'em the slip..

I agree. Sceptile as a whole seems to leave something to be desired. Neither innate ability is useful if you're carrying the Sceptilite, and Lightning Rod's only real application is discouraging Thunder Wave to hinder Mega Sceptile after it mega evolves. It also prevents the occasional Volt Switch. OG Sceptile is a little too underwhelming at this point to handle OU, or even UU. Not obsolete, just a little too much care for something that shouldn't need it. And why doesn't it receive Focus Energy, Poison Jab or Cross Poison?! Those moves would have made it really marvelous, especially since it doesn't carry Growth, or a solid way to detour Fairies outside of Iron Tail -_-'. It has enough accuracy issues with Focus Miss already without Iron Fail.

Still a really cool Mega Pokémon.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  13. WitchRolina

WitchRolina Fulminous Witch

Yeah, it'd be nice if in the next gen, they went in and redid a lot of old movepools to work better with mons. Sceptile got hit hard by the Physical/Special split, so it really can't do its job well anymore. Of course, the opposite is true as well - redistributing stats to make sense for the old movepools. Would be interesting to see MegaSceptile physically viable.

MegaRayquaza was kind of a let down to me. Not from a mechanical standpoint, granted - the thing is horribly OP and who knows what they were thinking when they made it. I mean from the standpoint within the games. I'd love to see what that thing's Primal reversion was. I think having a Green Orb for it to join in with the primal fun would have let it fit in a bit more with the trio. And for that matter, I love the ideas of split evolutionary lines, and the same holds for megas. What would Mega Groudon and Kyogre be like, I wonder? There was a lot of potential there to contrast the two, but... well, nothing came of it.

14. amoebo

amoebo amoeboVGC

except it was a better special attacker from the start in terms of movepool.

only mega i care about is nidoking imo

15. Cutty

Cutty Forever now

I don't play in Uber tier so I actually just found out what Primal Groudon can do recently, and yeah it was great.
    Primal Kyogre is not so bad if played well, and Mega Rayquaza is the true meaning of natural disaster.
    I havent used any of them, but played a lot against them in Multi, and I'm looking forward to seeing VGC 2016. It's gonna be an awesome year :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.