• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Mega Evolutions Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aielyn

You think it's bad? Immunity to Paralysis makes him maintain his speed. And against Electric Types if you have a water or flying type up you can easily switch out into Sceptile.

Mega Sceptile is NOT immune to paralysis. He's immune to the Electric moves that cause it. He can still be hit by Body Slam, Bounce, Dragon Breath, Fling, Force Palm, Freeze Shock, Glare, Lick, Secret Power (which can become Body Slam), and Tri Attack. Notable on this list is Glare, which is a 100% accurate status paralysis move.

AmbipomMaster

#TeamInstinct
Now that Mega Sceptile (omg, this thing is amazing!) is confirmed to be Grass/Dragon, I'm almost positive move tutors will be present in ORAS. Sceptile, in XY, can only know DragonBreath, but from Gen V it's able to know Outrage and Dragon Pulse. Unless GF changes Sceptile's movepool (which is always a possibility), I don't see why they would give MSceptile Dragon typing if it had one Dragon move at its disposal

zhixun

The thing is that you could easily switch into Mega Sceptile against an Electric pokémon anyway. Besides, Limber is a better ability to deal with paralysis.

Totally agree with you. I think there is not much different for being immune to Electric type attacks and double resistance against it.

oarfish

#1 Lanturn Owner
Now that Mega Sceptile (omg, this thing is amazing!) is confirmed to be Grass/Dragon, I'm almost positive move tutors will be present in ORAS. Sceptile, in XY, can only know DragonBreath, but from Gen V it's able to know Outrage and Dragon Pulse. Unless GF changes Sceptile's movepool (which is always a possibility), I don't see why they would give MSceptile Dragon typing if it had one Dragon move at its disposal

Well, they gave Ampharos Dragon Pulse, so I say, why not?
As for move tutors, I sure hope so. That would make some sense to me.

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
On this topic, Sceptile also misses out on the boost from Unburden, and will naturally Mega evolve before Overgrow kicks in. Meaning that it actually won't have an ability before Mega evolving that is even remotely useful. Hope you like Grass/Dragon revenge killers. :/

But, that's not a bad mind game to play against opponents; is it an Acrobatics Sceptile, or a Megatile? Or is it still going old school with Focus Sash and either of the two aforementioned abilities...

Demonsead

Hoenn Challenger
An Imported Secptile can have Dragon Breath, Dragon Claw, and Outrage. Let's hope there are appropriate move tutors in this game.

freezer1

Ice-type Fanatic
So Blaziken with Speed Boost, Swampert with Swift Swim, and Sceptile with Lightningrod. Wow, Sceptile drew a really short straw here. I guess it is all in the typing here, but gaining a Dragon-type isn't necessarily a good thing, though with the Speed it has, it will be able to use those Dragon moves quite effectively.

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
Totally agree with you. I think there is not much different for being immune to Electric type attacks and double resistance against it.

Immunity >>> Resistance. Especially when that Immunity gives you a SpA boost.

Aurath8

Mega Sceptile is NOT immune to paralysis. He's immune to the Electric moves that cause it. He can still be hit by Body Slam, Bounce, Dragon Breath, Fling, Force Palm, Freeze Shock, Glare, Lick, Secret Power (which can become Body Slam), and Tri Attack. Notable on this list is Glare, which is a 100% accurate status paralysis move.

Out of all of those, pretty much none of them are commonly used. The most dangerous one is Glare, which is given to a grand total of 8 fully evolved pokemon, and even less would ever consider using the move, perhaps only paraflinch Dunsparce of all things. Freeze Shock and Bounce are two-turn moves that MegaSceptile should really switch out from, particularly the former and Body Slam is also rare because it has to compete with the more powerful Return.

Simply put Thunder Wave is overwhelmingly the most common way to inflict paralysis, the next most common being other Electric type attacks that MegaSceptile will be immune to.

Gampi

ガンピ
Can anybody tell me the benefits of Mega Sceptile having Lightning Rod over Chlorophyll? I'm too lazy to go back pages to see if anyone's justified it and also it feels random and unfitting with its x4 Electric resistance.

Also, why are none of you talking about Mega Diancie? It's the most overdesigned thing I've ever seen in any Pokemon game and everybody's just gonna ignore it?

pokemonjeff

interested trader
So Blaziken with Speed Boost, Swampert with Swift Swim, and Sceptile with Lightningrod. Wow, Sceptile drew a really short straw here. I guess it is all in the typing here, but gaining a Dragon-type isn't necessarily a good thing, though with the Speed it has, it will be able to use those Dragon moves quite effectively.

If anything swampert drew the short straw. Lightningrod will be great on mega sceptile. In doubles, you can pair it with a discharger and in singles you can just send it in on a predicted electric attack. A free sp.att boost could turn out to be devastating depending on how they spread out his stats increases.

Swift swim really is the short straw because its only useful in rain, which was nerfed, and even still, its still beyond terrible compared to speed boost. Maybe we'll get lucky and primal kyogre will have a new ability that causes permanent rain again making them great together

Ajduk

Mega Sceptile is x4 resistant to electric(if I am correct).
You wouldn't hit it with an electric move anyway xD
Useless and pointless ability.

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
Can anybody tell me the benefits of Mega Sceptile having Lightning Rod over Chlorophyll? I'm too lazy to go back pages to see if anyone's justified it and also it feels random and unfitting with its x4 Electric resistance.

You can just read the few posts above yours..

Also, why are none of you talking about Mega Diancie? It's the most overdesigned thing I've ever seen in any Pokemon game and everybody's just gonna ignore it?

Maga Diancie aka Neo Queen Serenity is flawless. Clearly people are just stunned by it's beauty.

Bakphoon™

Heated Fury

None of those moves are used much competitively, except Thunder Wave. So I don't see Lightningrod being a bad ability.

Aurath8

Sceptile is already the fastest Grass type apart from Shaymin-S. Its speed will no doubt increase on becoming a Megaevolution, making Chlorophyll all but redundant when MegaSceptile will likely be faster than Crobat, perhaps around 135-145 base speed. There's also the issue of weather having a severe nerf, meaning any effort to double Sceptile's ridiculous speed just not worth it.

I'm not going to oversell Lightningrod, since there are better abilities it could've had. However Lightningrod gives it an immunity, which is always a good thing. Notably it gives it an immunity to Thunder Wave, by far the most common method of causing paralysis, and it can also be used to block Volt Switches(hello Rotom-W) while getting a welcome Spatk boost.

Its a reasonably good ability, that can easily be used to benefit a skilled player. Its certainly not as bad as for example, Damp on Swampert.

Useless and pointless ability

If MegaPelipper got Lightningrod you wouldn't hit with an Electric move anyway, because you know it definitely has an electric immunity as MegaPelipper. Lightningrod is only really useful when switching in in singles, no matter what type match-up you have. It gives an immunity, and a Spatk boost when you capatlize on it. In what way is that pointless?

Last edited:

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
Useless and pointless ability.

That's why you switch it in on a predicted electric move..

I'll admit, Lighting Rod is pretty situational, but if played right it can be useful.

Kuvario

I am who I am...because of them.

It's in competitive. Rotom-W is so annoying, so M-Sceptile is made to be a counter for it judging by it's ability. And Sceptile is already the fastest non-legendary grass type. It's SP. ATK is more important. And thunder rod boosts it's SP.ATK when hit by an electric attack.

It's Mega Lucario/Garchomp that's over-designed.

Schade

Metallic Wonder
As someone mentioned earlier, Lightningrod is also a fitting ability if yo loo at Septile as the 'Foret Pokemon' Whos tail is tee. Tees Draw Lightning, and there you have it~
Though I'm sure the reason for it has to be competetive.

That's why you switch it in on a predicted electric move..

I'll admit, Lighting Rod is pretty situational, but if played right it can be useful.

The problem is that you must already have Mega-evolved Sceptile earlier in the battle to get the Lighting Rod bonus. Which makes it even more situational.

On the topic of Mega Diance, I actually like it a lot. The most overdesigned pokemon in my opinion is Black and White Kyurem, combined with their very asymmetrical designs.

Status
Not open for further replies.