• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Mega Evolutions Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mega Jumpluff yea. Grass typing is the strongest I have seen it lately. Keep the wagon rolling ...

Yurimin

Snowflake Trainer
Jumpluff and swellow anyone?

Jumpluff would probably be grass and fairy or water

Swellow would probably be flying and fire or electric

Idk dude

Swellow be Flying/Fire or Flying/Electric?? Could you please explain this?

Pilpulp

美的
I kind of just assumed the Primal formes would be their Megas but who knows.

They're shaping up to be pretty much that exact same thing, from what I've gathered.

However, I presume the only difference is that the Blue / Red Orb activates those forms respectively, instead of the typical Mega Stones. It's important to note the Jade Orb is also a thing as well.

Jumpluff and swellow anyone?

Jumpluff would probably be grass and fairy or water

Swellow would probably be flying and fire or electric

Idk dude
I honestly don't see why every Mega needs a retyping. Grass/Flying makes perfect sense for Jumpluff. Nothing about dandelions scream either Water or Fairy.
I also don't see how Fire or Electric would make sense for Swellow without a major change in appearance.

You know, out of the 33 Mega evolutions we know only 7 change typing.

Ti4558

I honestly don't see why every Mega needs a retyping. Grass/Flying makes perfect sense for Jumpluff. Nothing about dandelions scream either Water or Fairy.
I also don't see how Fire or Electric would make sense for Swellow without a major change in appearance.

You know, out of the 33 Mega evolutions we know only 7 change typing.

I agree and so far we only got 1 mega in OR and AS who got a type change.

Hexin' Wishes

Diva Extraordinaire
They're shaping up to be pretty much that exact same thing, from what I've gathered.

However, I presume the only difference is that the Blue / Red Orb activates those forms respectively, instead of the typical Mega Stones. It's important to note the Jade Orb is also a thing as well.

I meant that the Head villains will use the Primals as their "Mega" since apparently every important character needs a Mega now.

I also expect the Red and Blue Orbs would be repurposed to be Groudon and Kyogre's keystones (Omega and Alpha Orbs?) respectively. I also can't wait to see how they shoehorn the Jade (Delta?) Orb in. This is so exciting!!

Keysmash

buys meat
Why do we need so many Megas anyways...? I was hoping it'd be a Kalos-thing, like some of the weird one-night stand features in BW...

Akashin

Why do we need so many Megas anyways...? I was hoping it'd be a Kalos-thing, like some of the weird one-night stand features in BW...

Not sure why you would have expected that, anyway. They wouldn't make new Pokemon a one-time thing and then remove them.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
I hope they dont give us retypings.And megacrobat, megagyara or megahyena instead of this mainstream megapedo or megarupt. Or something that gets inserted into the new hoen dex.

SILVER XD

Momentai, bro.
I hope they dont give us retypings.And megacrobat, megagyara or megahyena instead of this mainstream megapedo or megarupt. Or something that gets inserted into the new hoen dex.

If you're talking about Archie and Maxie they're pretty much going to be using Mega Sharpedo and Mega Camerupt, they reflect their teams and pokemon like Crobat and Mightyena are generic for antagonist teams. That said, I'd li for them to bring on Mega Crobat and Mega Mightyena as well.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I think retypings are all right when they make sense. If the Pokemon already has a close relation with a particular type, it would be appropriate to gain a new type. Charizard was a good example of that, everyone's been wondering for years why it wasn't Fire/Dragon and BOOM! We get Mega Charizard X. Likewise, I think there's some other Pokemon that could benefit from a new type. Huntail and Gorebyss for instance, they have tons of Dark and Psychic moves on their moveset, but they're not actually Water/Dark and Water/Psychic. Mega Evolution would be the perfect opportunity to fix that.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
I think retypings are all right when they make sense. If the Pokemon already has a close relation with a particular type, it would be appropriate to gain a new type. Charizard was a good example of that, everyone's been wondering for years why it wasn't Fire/Dragon and BOOM! We get Mega Charizard X. Likewise, I think there's some other Pokemon that could benefit from a new type. Huntail and Gorebyss for instance, they have tons of Dark and Psychic moves on their moveset, but they're not actually Water/Dark and Water/Psychic. Mega Evolution would be the perfect opportunity to fix that.

Those 2 actually make sense...Its just that some people want to staple fire, electric, dark or its worst offender fairy to everything. I still dont get gyara type to dark i mean it helped me stop BP teams like mad but its hard to see the logic behind it. What im trying to say is that not everything has to become special...if everyone is special then nobody is. I mean some mons could use a statboost and a different skill to spice things up. But there is nothing wrong with keeping its basic ability and just get a stat boost.

SurrealistSmeargle

With regards to retyping Megas, I think they should really be done mostly on two principles. Either a) the pokemon in question is crippled by weaknesses by its given typing and/or doesn't have a wide range of STAB moves, so an alternative typing would improve it. Or, b) the pokemon in question is already a potent competitive pokemon, and the retyping would allow a different strategy with the pokemon in the metagame. That way you've always got a clear purpose for the retyping, rather than just re-typing for retyping's sake.

ilovemyumbreon

Holding a Moon Shard
With regards to retyping Megas, I think they should really be done mostly on two principles. Either a) the pokemon in question is crippled by weaknesses by its given typing and/or doesn't have a wide range of STAB moves, so an alternative typing would improve it. Or, b) the pokemon in question is already a potent competitive pokemon, and the retyping would allow a different strategy with the pokemon in the metagame. That way you've always got a clear purpose for the retyping, rather than just re-typing for retyping's sake.

I think that retyping can lead people to consider Pokémon they wouldn't have used before. I don't think that every Pokémon should get a retyping, but I think a Pokémon like Sceptile deserves a dual type option.

SILVER XD

Momentai, bro.
I think Retyoings add a certain nuance and newness to Pokémon which is apart of the point of Mega Evolutions anyway so I wonder why people would be so opposed to Mega retypings. Let's make the Megas as unique and exciting as possible, not keep the status quo.

devilmonkey

ROWROWFightDaPOWAH
How about the opposite? Turn a dual type into a Mono-Type (like what they did with MAggron). Like if MSalamence was a pure Dragon type, losing quite a few weaknesses and dropping its Ice weakness to x2.

Or, get this, Mega Evos changing type completely from their base Mon. Like Mega Mismagius turns pure Dark instead of Ghost. They would even create theme Megas, where something becomes "armored" and turns into a Steel/Rock type or have things go complete 180 with their Mega. Think Mega Porygon that turns Ghost to stop that incoming Fighting attack cold.

How about the opposite? Turn a dual type into a Mono-Type (like what they did with MAggron). Like if MSalamence was a pure Dragon type, losing quite a few weaknesses and dropping its Ice weakness to x2.

Or, get this, Mega Evos changing type completely from their base Mon. Like Mega Mismagius turns pure Dark instead of Ghost. They would even create theme Megas, where something becomes "armored" and turns into a Steel/Rock type or have things go complete 180 with their Mega. Think Mega Porygon that turns Ghost to stop that incoming Fighting attack cold.
A lot of those wouldn't make sense. Mega Evolution is about letting a pokémon tap into their full potential, and a full 180 isn't exactly that.
Dropping Salamence's Flying type would go against everything the line stands for. The whole deal with the Bagon line is to fulfill the dream about flying.
The same can be said about Porygon, it got a really drastic change with Porygon 2 -> Porygon-Z. If the virus and corruption where to indicate a Ghost typing it would probably have gained it upon evolution. They can still change it to Normal/Ghost as a Mega, but then I wouldn't see why regular Porygon-Z would lack the typing. (Like they made M-Sceptile part Dragon, but I can't figure how it is more draconic than regular Sceptile.)

My main point is that most Mega aren't all that drastic as regular evolution. They are just "better" versions of themselves. Even then, very few regular evolutions are that drastic. Only Onix, Eevee, Azurill, Swablu and Fletchling change their primary typing. Eevee alone is the only one who does a complete 180 and doesn't share a single type with its evolutions.
I think Retyoings add a certain nuance and newness to Pokémon which is apart of the point of Mega Evolutions anyway so I wonder why people would be so opposed to Mega retypings. Let's make the Megas as unique and exciting as possible, not keep the status quo.
At least for me, it is the same reasons that I don't reallly like Mega Evolutions in general. I don't like giving pokémon features that are cool or competitive good just so they can be interesting. If they make sense it's alright but some of them are just too much fan service.

Last edited:

Retro Mew

Mystical Furball
I absolutely hated some of the previous Megas and have yet to come to terms with the concept of them in general, but I do think that the new Sceptile and Swampert Megas are a step in the right direction. The former has the best design of any Pokemon in several years, in my opinion.

I'm a bit concerned about the existence of a Mega Metagross; in-game, Metagross was already basically the toughest thing on Earth, and he was the champion's signature Pokemon. It seems like a Mega could risk becoming overpowered, but I suppose that does balance with the availability of Megas to the player. Either way, I like it!

We don't need a ton of new Megas, though. Creating a hundred of these destroys the special place they hold and makes it just another thing that every trainer and their mom uses. There's a sort of novelty in them that I would like to see preserved.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
(Like they made M-Sceptile part Dragon, but I can't figure how it is more draconic than regular Sceptile.)

This one probably falls into the realm of fanservice to an extent. There's really not much of anything necessarily Dragon-like about Sceptile, just that it's reptilian enough to be in the Dragon egg group. But that's not much. Not that I'm trying to completely criticize it for being Dragon type, many grass types (Sceptile included) are awful in competitive environments so Sceptile could use the boost.

I'm a bit concerned about the existence of a Mega Metagross; in-game, Metagross was already basically the toughest thing on Earth, and he was the champion's signature Pokemon. It seems like a Mega could risk becoming overpowered, but I suppose that does balance with the availability of Megas to the player. Either way, I like it!

Nah, Metagross has been falling out of the spotlight since B/W, to the point of no longer being a top-level threat thanks to gaining weaknesses to Dark and Ghost. The Mega is pretty much necessary to bring him up to speed at this point.

ilovemyumbreon

Holding a Moon Shard
Nah, Metagross has been falling out of the spotlight since B/W, to the point of no longer being a top-level threat thanks to gaining weaknesses to Dark and Ghost. The Mega is pretty much necessary to bring him up to speed at this point.

Of any Pokémon in ORAS that I would guess gets a second Mega, my pick is Metagross.

Status
Not open for further replies.