• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Mega Evolutions Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_N

Maybe the OP wasn't talking from a competitive perspective just how it would look design-wise, that's what I actually look forward to seeing when a new mega is revealed. Not everyone is into competitive battling you know
He talks about other things being good enough or getting moves to be better so I doubt its just so superficial.
I'm wondering how a Normal/Fairy with pixilate would work. I meant Normal would be one of its STAB types and it would be weird if all of its normal moves would turn fairy

all normal type would do in that situation is make the fighting resistence neutral and give a ghost immunity

Blasting Toise

Flygon does look sort of bug-like to me but that's just opinions and I think its Japanese name has a big reference I think.
No there's no confirmation on if these were the last of the new megas but I'm guessing they won't reveal all the new megas before release
Hard to say but I was not expecting this many megas anyway :p

And isn't Flygon just Flygon in japanese as well? It is probably meant to be kind of combination of bug and dragon and evolution line is based on antlions and dragonflies- yet Flygon looks more reptile than bug IMO, with exception being it's head that looks more buglike I guess.

LOL I didn't think that Delcatty pixelate thing too thoroughly :p- but it already can have normalize that prevents using any supereffective moves which is not good either. Well it adds stab always though. Delcatty is and always will be contest-pokemon with next to no use in battles. But since they can mega-evolve in contests megacatty could be nice while it would no doubt be sub-par mega what comes to competitive.

Last edited:

LordSerperior

He talks about other things being good enough or getting moves to be better so I doubt its just so superficial.

Quite the possibility so my bad

all normal type would do in that situation is make the fighting resistence neutral and give a ghost immunity

No I meant as in they would get the STAB on the move and the 30% boost. Plus isnt STAB move that hits almost everything for neutral damage good, which pixilate would prevent? I don't play competitively so I'm just talking from a game/casual battling perspective

And isn't Flygon just Flygon in japanese as well? It is probably meant to be kind of combination of bug and dragon and evolution line is based on antlions and dragonflies- yet Flygon looks more reptile than bug IMO, with exception being it's head that looks more buglike I guess

Turns out it does, sorry for not checking before posting

Last edited:
I actually like Flygon's original typing. I really appreciate when GF takes an animal and gives it a completely unexpected typing. Like making an antlion part Dragon instead of Bug (Ground makes sense anyway). I wouldn't really mind if they changed its potential Mega Evolution's typing to the more obvious(regarding inspiration) Bug/Dragon either, but I still think the original is nice too.
However keep in mind that no Mega Evolution has changed its primary typing yet.

Xx_BS-TyKi_xX

Se habla español
I don't know but seems to me that new megas are already revealed with these Salamences etc. I may be wrong though...

Let's check numbers XY introduced* 30 Megas (28 if we don't count the Latt Twins) and so far ORAS has only revealed 8 Megas (sorry I just don't think than Primal-Kryogre Primal-Groudon counts as megas:I but if they count there are 10 Megas so far, so I think we will have more megas in upcoming weeks/months.

Why don't we get a Mega-Hydreigon? With some ability to make better against fairies~

red2000

Liger Zero!!!
KS Why indeed, Mega Hydreigon needs to happen same with Mega Volcarona , them Dragonite and Goodra are the only Pseudo Legends Left without Megas

Kakarotkills

TheOnlyPorygon2
I might be the slowpoke here but have you guys noticed the mega ring in Maxie's glasses in the trailer? This leads me to believe Camerupt/Sharpedo might get a mega evolution or...they could've gotten new pokemon... (I would love to have a Mega Glasses.) Sharpedo might get a boost in attack/speed depends on the design. I imagine Mega Camerupt to be more volcano-y looking and more aggressive looking.

XXD17

Draco rex
The only thing I don't like about MSalamence is that its main increase is in defense. I'd rather it be attack and/or speed.

I'm actually very happy with the defense boost...maybe it can be enough to help it live an ice shard after intimidate?

Also, this means completely nothing but does anyone else find it funny that every pokemon from Pokemon Type Wild got a mega besides breloom lol...

Those rants about hydreigon's *4 weakness are annoying it's not not like salamence garchomp and tyranitar fon't have a *4 weakness,!

Having a 4X weakness is completely fine especially if it's a set up sweeper...it's having a 4X weakness to priority moves that proves to be problematic...I mean just look around...salamence was far more inferior to dragonite this gen while it was a monster last gen...it's initially much faster with higher attack...once it sets up, the only way to take it out was and still is ice shard...dragonite has that problem solved because not only does it get multiscale, it also get extreme speed to out prioritize ice shard while salamence doesn't get any of that...that's why I will always pack my scizor when I use mega-mence in the future...

as for t-tar, it's only really scared of mach punch (an maybe the occasional choice scarf infernape) as it can take an unboosted aqua jet or bullet punch if invested...but ghosts are immune to mach punch so you can switch out and take no residual damage...can't say the same thing in regards to ice shard...also, t-tar can run many different sets including defensive and utility sets just like dragonite...something salamence can't do...but even with tyranitar's amazing repertoire, it needs a lot of support since it's pretty slow to begin with and lacks priority of its own..

Garchomp, although it is still scared of ice shard, just has stats that are too amazing to give up (just like the potential mega salamence)...it already hits like a truck and it has amazing speed...however, as amazing as it is, it suffers from predictability and is easy to check...not to say garchomp isn't amazing because it is...it just needs a team member to help out like t-tar...

Hydreigon is a special case...not being 4X weak to any priority is great...but it's not very versatile so the mind games aspect is not there...not only does it have only one set to run, it doesn't get any good boosting moves while having mediocre speed...now if it theoretically got quiver dance, I'd think it would be just as amazing as garchomp...even with the 4X weakness to fairy, it can hit back with a boosted flash cannon...the only true counters would be florges and maybe azumarill..but in its current state, it's going to need a lot of support before you can bring it in

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the current metagame is defined A LOT by priority so pokemon that have potent stats AND resist priority will be the ones that sit at the top...having a 4X weakness means very little as all you really need is support member...just look at scizor, it has great bulk and attack, has an amazing move pool, resists three of the most powerful priorities and has its own priority to alleviate its terrible speed...all it needs is a member to get rid of the fire threat before it can start sweeping...

If hydreigon were to get a dragon/ steel mega...it will give it an upper hand against fairies, but it's going to need a pretty good speed boost since it can't hold scarf anymore...if it get's enough speed to be on par with infernape, it would be golden...the only real threat at that point would be mach punch, which it can take one of...conkeldurr still counters it very well though...but that's just one pokemon...

Last edited:

daljack

Metagross Man
Give mega Hydreigon mega launcher. Dragon pulse and dark pulse with a 50% boost? Yes please.

Tepig2000

Number #1 Tepig Fan
Mega Hydreigon would be amazing. I think it is one of the best gen. 5 Pokémon design-wise along with Volcarona and Cofagrigus, and I believe they are the ones that deserve mega evolutions the most. Just think of the possibilities. *-*

GoldCyndaquil

Shiny Hunter
Let's check numbers XY introduced* 30 Megas (28 if we don't count the Latt Twins) and so far ORAS has only revealed 8 Megas (sorry I just don't think than Primal-Kryogre Primal-Groudon counts as megas:I but if they count there are 10 Megas so far, so I think we will have more megas in upcoming weeks/months.

Why don't we get a Mega-Hydreigon? With some ability to make better against fairies~

I like that idea actually. They could call it Fairyproof or something similar to that that creates an immunity to Fairy attacks. May seem OP but it's Hydreigon's only 4x weakness and he needs a buffer against them. Or they could give him an ability that cuts weaknesses in half (EX: 4x to 2x, 2x to Neutral, Neutral to .5x resist), with -10 Spd, +35 Def and Sp.Def, and +20 to each attack. Make it a bulky tank of a Pokemon that you kind of have to use a Fairy type against...or use Mold Breaker.

Rakurai

I think Sheer Force would be the ideal ability for a Mega Hydreigon. Fire Blast, Earth Power, Flash Cannon, Dark Pulse, and Focus Blast would all benefit from it. On a lesser note, having a stronger Iron Tail and Dragon Rush could be nice, as well.

If Flash Cannon was considered an aura move and/or it learned Aura Sphere, then I'd be more for it getting Mega Launcher.

Also, trying make it a defensive Pokemon isn't a good idea unless they change its typing, because having Dragon, Ice, and Fighting weaknesses isn't doing it any favors, either. I'd rather they just boost its speed and attack stats to make it better at what it was good at doing to begin with; namely, being virtually impossible to switch in against safely. Having stronger Steel type moves from Sheer Force would make Fairy types more manageable in that regard.

Last edited:

daljack

Metagross Man
If Flash Cannon was considered an aura move and/or it learned Aura Sphere, then I'd be more for it getting Mega Launcher.
I'm with you there. I still don't know how flash cannon doesn't count.

jonnyc

New Stat predictions
I think Lopunny would have a little more investment in Attack, as they said she gets a "huge" boost, so IMO I think she'd get 146-156, while taking away form Sp.Attack or the defenses.

BurningWhiteKyurem

I think Lopunny would have a little more investment in Attack, as they said she gets a "huge" boost, so IMO I think she'd get 146-156, while taking away form Sp.Attack or the defenses.

There isn't really any indication to believe that Lopunny's stats would be lowered to compensate for another stat. In fact, Garchomp is the only one I can think of where stat reductions were used, and was publicized in the mega-evolutions page in XY's website.

Blazekickblaziken

Snarktastic Ditz
Man I do hope that Flygon gets a mega evolution. I definitely already suspect it because of the secret base guy. (although I suppose that isn't a really solid reason to believe that)

Change it's ability to sand rush, give it a boost to attack and speed and the rest to it's defenses. Maybe:

80/130/100/80/100/130

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
New Stat predictions

Are we the same person? I'm thinking the same thing.
If these are relatively what her stats end up looking like, I'll be extremely pleased! She deserves stats like this.

Mega Salamence is mentioned to get a Defense boost, yet you gave it none.

I'm actually beginning to suspect a double defense drop for Mega Lopunny. At first I had the same idea, but now I think it might go like this:
- Mega Lop: 65/156/74/54/86/135

It's rather premature to assume those boosts are a mistake, especially when we haven't actually seen how they perform yet. Just because Salamence is getting a big boost to its defense instead of attack and speed doesn't mean that it's a bad idea. Same with Altaria getting boosts to gear it towards offense. They could end up being a mistake, but until we see them in-game there's no way to say that for sure. I'm actually optimistic for Salamence since the Intimidate drop before that could make for very easy set-up against physical attackers, but I'm reserving any judgment until we know for sure what its boosts are.

The thing about Malta-Ria and Malta-mence being mistakes it just based on the design.. M-Altaria just looks as if that would be the one with the massive Defensive boost, while M-Mence looks like its even more geared towards offensive then ever before. The design for M-Altaria gives of Filter-style defense vibes, yet: Attack and Special Attack?

I'm thinking Mega Sceptile's ability is as much for the sake of double battle abuse as it is for simply avoiding paralysis. Doubles are what the game makers are pushing for.

And what about the unresisted neutral coverage with just its STABS that Lopunny with Scrappy sports? Surely that is notable.

Course I doubt they are looking at Smogon tiers when designing pokemon...

I'd forgotten that first bit.. Yeah.. I bet they didn't give it Adaptability or Huge Power because it also gets Entraimnent.. Huge Power Garchomp.. SHUDDERS..

As for that third bit.. They kinda are picking ones that are being used most frequently in the tournaments with a few wild choices and mere promotional options.

Just... Calm down man O.O.

Well, lets see some things:
Scrappy, M-Lopunny gets STAB from Fight and Normal type moves. Gonna get a boost in Speed and Attack.

The most famous ghosts in competitive play are Aegislash, Sableye, M-Gengar and Gengar. Against the first two M-Lopunny gets Super-Effective damage with Jump Kick (They are Steel and Dark, both of them are weak against fight), the things that can stop M-Lopunny is King's Shield (which can be easily predicted) and Priority Will-o-Wisp (This one is a problem, but still it has low accuracy, so you may be lucky and not get hit). Nonetheless, thanks to Lopunny being Normal type it is immune to Shadow Sneak, so Aegislash needs to use Iron Head (or any other move physical or special) to go through M-Lopunny, unfortunately for Aegislash it is very slow, which means that M-Lopunny has the upper hand against it, of course, in its Shield-Form it does survive a High Jump Kick from a Scrappy Lopunny.

Against M-Gengar and Gengar, M-Lopunny has problems, because she can only hit them with normal type moves (They are poison, so they resist fight), and they learn Focus Blast, which fortunately has pretty bad accuracy, but wait... M-Lopunny learns Quick Attack, yeah, extremly weak, but has priority, good enough

Now, I used a Damage Calculator for this:

A Lopunny using Quick Attack with Scrappy (Jolly natured) with 252 EV's in Atk with no item can easily 4HKO a Gengar (Timid Natured) with 4 EV's in HP.
So, we can assume that M-Lopunny will get at least 30 or 40 points to attack, which is strong enough to 3HKO the same Gengar with only Quick Attack and 4HKO the first gengar M-Evolved.

Anyway, we have to remember that M-Lopunny maybe gets more than 40 points to Atk, but we need to wait to know this and still is pretty unprobable.

And, About Mega-Altaria offensive approach (gaining a boost in both attacks) being a big mistake, well I have to disagree, it will probably become a good Tank, that can be Specially or physically oriented, making it very unpredictable, because it has a good movepool for both categories, and thanks to Pixilate and Fairy type gain even more versatile.
About M-Salamence I do think it is rather weird, it is strong enough to not need a boost in any attack, and is bulky enough to survive many attacks, now it will be even more physically bulky, it will still get a boost in at least one attack and speed, and it will be the same as with M-Altaria with Aerilate and being part Flying, will get an awesome movepool.

Anyway, all of this is just theory, and is probably very cool "in-paper" but we will have to wait for the games to know how good the new Megas are.

Sorry for the extreme long post, and if you read, then a lot of thanks and congratulations :p.

I'm used to commenting on long posts.. But yeah.. Expect this post to be longer considering I reply to multiple posts usually! xD

Sableye:

There's literally no way around Sableye when the bunny gets baked. Even if Lopunny gets a 60BST addition to Attack, it will still not get past Sableye if burned.

This is a Jolly potential M-Lop using Jump Kick. I've used a 135 base stat, because I'm shabby like that. The currently strongest Fighting-type move it has. I've seen people talking about HJK but I haven't seen confirmation yet, could be me.

Damage = ((((2 * 100 / 5 + 2) * 369 * 85 / 249) / 50) + 2) * 1.5 * 2 * 100 / 100
Damage = ((((42) * 369 * 85 / 249) / 50) + 2) * 1.5 * 2
Damage = (((5290.4) / 50) + 2) * 1.5 * 2
Damage = 323.4
Damage = ~323

Calculating the burn: 160HP.. So it will do slightly more then half of Sableye's HP, at which point it will recover and stall you out, until Jump Kick or HJK misses and your Mega is gone. But hey, Lopunny gets access to Magic Coat, which gets +4 priority so it bounces the WoW back at Sableye. So basically the M-Lop set I presume that will be the standard is: Return, HJK/JK/Drain Punch, Quick Attack, Magic Coat. Drain Punch is rather nice, but HJK would do more damage. Don't even know why I listed JK, it pales when to Drain Punch's utility and a mere 10 power difference.

Aegislash:

Another issue. You can switch in freely on Shadow Sneaks, which is great! But then what? Lopunny gets almost nothing truly disrupting and it only has that fourth slot for that, as the former three are pretty much safe bets. Magic Coat has no purpose against Aegislash, so you're stuck. You will attack (or switch out, but that kinda defeats the purpose of a free switch in), and Aegislash will King Shield and you'll need to switch.. Bye-bye momentum. It's easily predicted, but Lopunny doesn't really get anything that would let it get around it, if it also wants to be safe from Prankster WoW. Like, I may be really sucky in having used this move, but I'd hate being on the receiving end of a Charm.. It basically turns Aegislash from a threat into a pathetic Ghost/Steel defensive sucker. But still, a very good defensive sucker..

Gengar, and M-Gengar. I'm expecting M-Lopunny to get at least above the 130 mark with regards to speed. It already sits at 105 and is mentioned getting a speed boost. I'm inclined to believe that mention means a significant boost: 25-35'ish. Hence, it wouldn't need priority to outdo the Gengars. M-Gengar is in Ubers, so it isn't really a factor at all. It wouldn't need Scrappy Quick Attack. Which is a mark towards my argument that it could've done better with Huge Power, Adaptability or a Tough Claws-like ability.

The thing about Malta-Ria and Malta-mence being mistakes it just based on the design.. M-Altaria just looks as if that would be the one with the massive Defensive boost, while M-Mence looks like its even more geared towards offensive then ever before. The design for M-Altaria gives of Filter-style defense vibes, yet: Attack and Special Attack?

I'm pretty sure Klefki, Murkrow, Meowstic and Liepard get Priority T-wave, as well as M-Bannete. Practical on some of them and not on others? Yes.

I also am aware it doesn't take a trained eye to see a T-Wave coming, but remember, you have to be a Mega BEFORE that happens. You could end up switching into a non Priority T-wave from something you wouldn't expect. And I know EVERYONE is going to say "Eww Zygarde" but with the boost to 100% Acc. and the fact it bypasses all Electric absorb abilities, Glare might be seeing more use, besides on mine.

I'm also gonna assume, you don't use lower tier Pokemon in your team, as there is also Dusclops/Noir, Golurk, Gourgeist, Trevenant, Mismagius, Spiritomb, Frosslass, Cofagrius and eventually Hoopa. But come on, you saw what happened to M-Gengar and Aegislash. Both sent to Ubers, both Ghost type, simply because they were quite literally too good (M-Gengar more so).

I've seen a lot of people use M-Aerodactyl as well. And I'm pretty sure most megas sit in the 80-115 area, where Aerodactyl is chilling at a cool base 150, which is ahead of even the M-Mewtwos, being tied only with M-Alakazam. I'm pretty sure M-Aerdactyl is supposed to be a Late Game Sweeper as well, so instead of comparing to just one type, lets give them all a bit of credit, as I think that might be what M-Lopunny would be best at (seeing as how Normal/Fighting + Scrappy gives 100% Perfect neutral coverage). Imagine being slowed down and not being able to wall anymore, getting smashed constantly by STAB Returns and Hi-Jump Kicks. Late game? That's scary. But alas until I see the stats, this is just a theory.

Also, I don't want to see anything else get Huge Power for awhile, we have enough already and frankly, I'm sick of seeing people saying let's make a "Mega, oh just put Huge Power on it". I don't want the meta to start devolving into a "Counter the Huge Power-mon" deal. And yes, I did post about putting Huge Power on a M-Farfetch'd as a joke. We all know M-Mawile would probably have never been used without it, just as Azumarill and Medicham would never have been used.

I'm aware of the other Pranksters. They're just not the big threats in the place where I want to see M-Lopunny. It's just that when I see something I like, like Lopunny (as I said, my girlfriend and I were in the process of capturing a Buneary in Pearl/Platinum when the news hit home) and it suddenly/unexpectedly gets a great boost, but still seems like a pushover. I don't expect to see M-Lop in über.. but if it could reside comfortably in OU, then that would be fine. At the moment, mostly due to missing something like Tough Claws/Adaptability/Huge Power, I see it as a high UU or bottom barrel OU. There simply are better late game sweepers in OU already, with more raw power and without an ability that's necessary for them to make the cut.

I know fully that M-Lop would never be a complete wallbreaker, but even as a sweeper, I'd have loved if they gave it something extra to work with. Like Mega Aerodactyl and Lucario, they gave it Tough Claws/Adaptability to work with - aside from the great boosts they received. I talked about how I don't want Huge Power to become a thing more then it already is, but with the promotional text stating it gets more aggressive, I would have reckoned it a valid possibility. Lets be fair, Azumarill always had Huge Power, the reason why it gets used now is because it got a Fairy-type which means it can get a Belly Drum off a lot easier by switching into Outrages/Choiced Dragon-type moves. Oh and it didn't get to combo BellyJet until this gen either iirc.

I actually use lower-tier pokemon sometimes. I actually ran a team on showdown with a Butterfree once.. Didn't really get me far though.. It was part of an Ash-tribute team, so hey, I'm all in for hi-jinxes.. You use Zygarde? Good for you! I :D I actually lost interest in playing Y that I haven't even caught it yet.. Isn't M-Gengar in Ubers just because of Shadow Tag? I know 170/130 SpAtt/Spd also pretty much gets you there though, but a big chunk was also Shadow Tag.

I finally concur that if I was sitting late in the game with no walls left that STAB Returns and HJK's would be scary. BUT if I didn't have a Ghost in my team at that point, I would at least find solace and give me comfort that I don't have an ability to worry about at all.. And that's a thing to consider. Which is the only thing my intent is. I'm not bashing it. Just lamenting a bit on the side. I cried (the bad sobbing kind) when Garchomp received a Speed downgrade. That's just the sort of person I am.

I'm actually very happy with the defense boost...maybe it can be enough to help it live an ice shard after intimidate?

Also, this means completely nothing but does anyone else find it funny that every pokemon from Pokemon Type Wild got a mega besides breloom lol...

Hmm.. That could be an idea.. Haven't thought about that, but the design is just so.. focusing on speed it just gives me the weirdest creeps that they actually want to let us see it as a defensive sweeper.. That's simply what my feelings are. They're making it more like Metagross, good across the board.

Mega Breloom? I could see it, easily..

Give mega Hydreigon mega launcher. Dragon pulse and dark pulse with a 50% boost? Yes please.

I like that idea.. Flash Cannon should've been included in that bunch and I'm always frustrated that it isn't.. It would've been the go-to move against Fairies.

Also, with Hydreigon being initially designed to look like a draconic TANK, I'd reckon that Mega Launcher would echo some ideas they had when designing it initially.

I think Sheer Force would be the ideal ability for a Mega Hydreigon. Fire Blast, Earth Power, Flash Cannon, Dark Pulse, and Focus Blast would all benefit from it. On a lesser note, having a stronger Iron Tail and Dragon Rush could be nice, as well.

Also, trying make it a defensive Pokemon isn't a good idea unless they change its typing, because having Dragon, Ice, and Fighting weaknesses isn't doing it any favors, either. I'd rather they just boost its speed and attack stats to make it better at what it was good at doing to begin with; namely, being virtually impossible to switch in against safely. Having stronger Steel type moves from Sheer Force would make Fairy types more manageable in that regard.

Tell that to the bunch that has been forcing defensive Ice-types down our throats for nearly two decades... :p

PokeMaster366

Man I do hope that Flygon gets a mega evolution. I definitely already suspect it because of the secret base guy. (although I suppose that isn't a really solid reason to believe that)

Change it's ability to sand rush, give it a boost to attack and speed and the rest to it's defenses. Maybe:

80/130/100/80/100/130

I want a +50 boost to Sp. Atk, a +20 Speed boost, and Sheer Force as its new ability so it can abuse a Special set with Earth Power and Fire Blast.

mykalriley

@pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
I feel like this thread moves so fast sometimes that mine get overlooked...soooo my thoughts on:

I also think that I like the idea of Horde battles to now include Trainer-Hordes...... I wonder if there will be a difference between the Hordes and the Trainer Hordes? Maybe the Trainers will each have a couple of pokemon that you have to defeat ( If this has already been confirmed...then I feel dumb)

I really like the idea of a Mega Flygon... I would love to see a Mega Rapidash and a Mega Arcanine as well...

I wouldn't mind seeing a Mega Reuniclus either. Or maybe a Mega Sandslash.... ( I don't play competitively, at least not very well... I'm trying to better myself..so I don't know how viable any of these suggestions are in sense of CB...but I think that they have either been overlooked, forgotten, or find them to be weak to begin with)

and the one that would fill my heart with the most joy ( I realize the odds are very...very...slim...but I get to hope and speculate) is Mega Vileplume..... I actually don't have a clue what they could do with the design, maybe give it larger petals and a slimmer stem, and drape it in vines and tiny blooms a la Mega Venasaur....??

Status
Not open for further replies.