• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Mega Evolutions Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

[ACE] Zero

Just Sayin..
Just my 2 cents- I dislike Slowbro-M because it's design contradicts Slowking (It's true final stage) with Slowking the Shellder helmet has lessened and become more of apparel but in Mega Slowbro the shellder is consuming it...W.T.F.

Mega Audin looks great.

General Nonsense

Star Glider
Anyone else see mega Slowbro and think, "It's being eaten by the Shellder that bit its tail"?

MDS777

The name's Riley
[ACE] Zero;17350556 said:
Just my 2 cents- I dislike Slowbro-M because it's design contradicts Slowking (It's true final stage) with Slowking the Shellder helmet has lessened and become more of apparel but in Mega Slowbro the shellder is consuming it...W.T.F.

Mega Audin looks great.

Slowking is not the final stage of Slowbro. They're split evolutions, like Gallade and Gardevoir.

Dew Watatsumi

Water Type E-3
i get that, its just that of all the pokemon not in the final stage pikachu is just the one i could see getting it, whether or not he will actually get it remains to be seen, however of all the pokemon he really is the one gamefreak might decide to give one too

Then whats the point of having a Raichu if Pikachu is getting all the special treatment. I know he's the mascot and all, but by that logic, you might as well wipe Raichu out as a pokemon

Torus333

Fakemon Artist
I love the fact that they went albino with Audino's Mega. It makes sense in two ways. First of, I'm pretty sure Rabbits are the animal most well known for having albino. And second, it turns Audino white so that it looks like it's wearing a doctor's coat. And this time, feelers have been added to where stetoscopes should belong, the neck, haha.

I definitely like M-Audino more than regular Audino... feel like they tried a bit harder on this design lol

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
That's just stupid.

Why heavily debuff Mega Evolutions when you can buff crap abilities and Pokémon? That is more helpful. I mean either way it is not likely to happen until the generational shift, so why go for the minimalist route when it actually intensifies inequality and not diminish it?

Edit: I mean sure, I have nothing against replacing certain broken abilities with more balanced(but still, good) ones or rearranging certain stats, but "100 BST is the devil" thing would be a bit weird since almost every Pokémon has some sort of bonus that boosts their stats by around 80 BST(Choice items, Assault Vest, Plus and Minus etc.).

I'm not saying it should go under for every Mega Pokemon, I didn't specify any direction

I'd say it could afford to go under for the more OP Megas and over that for the lesser-used Megas, since stuff like Mawile and Kangaskhan is benefiting from both their Ability and their stat boost with Mega Evolution, whereas other 'mons only work with the 100 BST boost, which results in the discrepancies in usefulness that are clearly evident

- GameFreak
- Caring about balance

Pick one.

I know, I know, I'm shooting the moon asking for them to care about balance as they focus more on multiplayer, aren't I?

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
He sacrifices pivot switching to become a stellar trick room member or an offensive calminder imune to crits. Its a different playstyle, i still prefer normal slowbro if i want a regenerator water mon with a slight offensive precense. Taking less damage from knock off is a plus. Also you can run regenslowpoke without lefties just fine i actually use av,specs and rocky helmet on regen slowbro.

The mega could come handy midgame uf you want to start boosting after regenerator served its purpose. It gave slowbro a rather new niche if you ask me. I kinda have to run a different slowbro for mega purposes; if i ever use my megaslit for him, since his playstile is just a bit different. Not better just slightly different.
Shameless self quote.

Also slowbro and slowking are fully evolved forms of a branched evolution.
Slowpoke evolves into slowbro if it reaches lv37.
Slowpoke evolves into slowking if it is traded with a kings rock attached.

Dew Watatsumi

Water Type E-3
Anyone else see mega Slowbro and think, "It's being eaten by the Shellder that bit its tail"?
They are split evolutions. Trade Slowpoke with a kings rock to get slowking. Level up Slowpoke to get Slowbro
I definitely like M-Audino more than regular Audino... feel like they tried a bit harder on this design lol

The whole Dr. Look is fitting for Mega Audino. Lets hope move tutors are nice to her

LeafeonTheVoid

New changes
U-Turn Scizor could hurt, but I doubt it'll do serious damage considering M-Derrrrrrrr is getting a big Defense boost. Just depends on how much they want to increase Derrrrrrrr's Defenses.

My point exactly. In addition to a crit immunity, this thing will make a nice tank. So long as you can rid of or set up against threats like Volt Switching M-Manetric or Rotom-W, or hard hitting grass types like M-Venusaur. Definitely some good potential. I can't wait for all the numbers on all the new mega mons. :D

Last edited:

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
They are split evolutions. Trade Slowpoke with a kings rock to get slowking. Level up Slowpoke to get Slowbro

The whole Dr. Look is fitting for Mega Audino. Lets hope move tutors are nice to her

Inb4 shinny mega audino get a black or redish coat.

GoldCyndaquil

Shiny Hunter
[ACE] Zero;17350564 said:
Umm never saw it that way...kinda makes sense, same with Bellosom and Politoed then?

Gloom can evolve into Bellosom OR Vileplume. Poliwhirl can evolve into Poliwrath OR Politoed. And Slowpoke can evolve into Slowbro OR Slowking. I'm actually amazed at how many people think Slowking evolves from Slowbro...

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Fairy-types would likely be more common if they had a greater number of regular Pokemon as opposed to Mega Evolutions; the oneMegaLimit can make it difficult to pick a good Fairy-type if your team is already using a Mega Evolution. More viable regular Fairy-types with greater variance in terms of stat and typing distribution would make the typing more formidable as a whole. As such, I think focusing on Fairy-typed Mega Evolutions is a tad misguided.

quoting myself because Game Freak is dumb and Mega Audino would've been way better as a regular evolution

Mega Audino would be plenty viable and seriously considered if it wasn't forced to compete with other Mega Evolutions for the Mega slot

bolter1

Swampert Trainer
While I understand the merits of Shell Armor, I still think Regenerator is more useful. Critical Hits normally have a 6.25% chance of happening, so the ability only comes into play during that 6.25%. Regenerator heals up to 1/3 of Slowbro's max HP everytime. Being able to avoid critical hits is helpful when you start setting up since your defense increases won't get bypassed, but I feel that it's just too situational. Even though Slowbro does have Slack Off for recovery, the massive amount of passive recovery that Slowbro gets when you switch to a pokemon that is better against the opponent's is too good to pass up for an ability that may or may not be useful in the battle especially when there are entry hazards set up. That's not even considering that Slowbro can hold either Leftovers for even more passive recovery or Rocky Helmet to deal passive damage to physical attackers. That being said, I will definitely try out a Calm Mind MegaSlowbro since I've always like the notion of Calm Mind Slowbro but haven't been able to get my hands on a Renegerator Slowpoke to use (and even if I do, I'll still try out MegaSlowbro to see how well it does).

Hexin' Wishes

Diva Extraordinaire
Tell that to the people who came up with the Light Ball, Surfing Pikachu, and Cosplay Pikachu. As much as I dislike the idea of Mega-Pikachu becoming a reality and outclassing Raichu, GameFreak likes to overload their mascot with gimmicks, and while it probably won't happen in ORAS, I think it's only a matter of time before they do the unthinkable. /Shudder

Even though the rumor mill states they won't give stone-based evolution 'mons a Mega forme I still vote "Nahh". Most likely, we'll just see a Pikachu colouring for Mega Raichu.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Mega Slowking should have a second Shellder that it uses as a throne.

Honestly Audino was not the first Unova mon I was expecting a Mega Evo for. I was kinda hoping for Braviary.

My first thought as well..

As for what I expected as the first Unovian Mega.. Mega Musharna... You think Hoopa was going to introduce a new type combination? THINK AGAIN!!! Mega MUSHARNA!! Psychic/Ghost!!!

Truthfully, I would've expected Mega Scolipede or Mega Leavanny.. They love those two apparently.. Those or Mega Ferrothorn/Bisharp..

I'd want a Mega Keldeo, but I don't think they can temper with it or Meloetta because of how they switch forms and stuff.. Mega Ordinary Keldeo? Mega Resolute Keldeo? I know it's just an aesthetic change, but still, they can't simply forgo that can they? Meloetta's Mega? Will it retain aspects of the Normal/Fighting version, or Normal/Psychic? And for the love of god, please don't let her Mega become Normal/Fairy.. -.-

Aside from designs and resembling fan art, I think part of the reason why we're giving Mega Slowbro and Mega Audino so much criticism is that they're more built as defensive pokémon while most of the mega evolutions we have are more offensively built

Who's giving these two criticism? The only legit criticism I can think of is that Mega Audino is yet another Fairy-type cleric. Five was enough, but Mega Slowbro actually looks like a legit pain in the arse.. Funny how both Slowbro and Audino are Heal Pulsers, while Slowbro isn't really known for being a support 'mon.

Also, Mega Venusaur and Aggron are also a defensive Megas, it's hardly a new thing. People are just not into Stall anymore..

I guess in way it helps, since he can no longer get those nasty Critical Hits that severely cripple most Pokemon. With the boosted Defense and Sp Att he'll be pretty tough to take out.

Yup, coupled with Slack Off, that thing is going to be hell.. Easily.

Slowbro
Ability: Oblivious -> Shell Armor when Mega Slowbro
Item: Slowbrolite
Nature: Sassy, if you want to spread the bulk a bit more to the Sp.Def, or straight up Relaxed if you want even more Def.

Moveset:
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Shadow Ball/Ice Beam/Fire Blast/Flamethrower/Yawn/T-wave/Toxic

Yeah, Oblivious over Regenerator this time. Regenerator is good if you're going to play with regular Slowbro for a while, but your not. You're going to want to build an impregnable fortress, and you can, with one Calm Mind on the turn you Mega Evolve. It would suck if you get Taunted on that turn. Oblivious denies Taunt. Oblivious is unexpected, so they might as well try the Taunt, and boom.. you might be able to pull off a second Calm Mind and you're officially unstoppable. Have fun Slacking Off while they switch to an appropriate counter and go hit them with what you got. Epicness if you pull this off in doubles/triples within a Trick Room, but the chances of that happening are slim I'd reckon.

I'm not really good in dealing with 4MSS, but I'd reckon that after a Calm Mind, both the Def and SpDef would become of simply horrifying levels, considering the already good HP-stat and overall bulk/good typing. Count in STAB Scald, from the promised boosted Special Attack and the +1 from CM doing great overall damage, and dat burn causing no further physical problems is darn handy.

The last two moves is where it gets tricky.. Slack Off means that you're staying alive a lot longer, while Shadow Ball gives perfect coverage and is giving a lot a run for their money in the current meta, the SpDef drops can come in handy against certain. So personally, I feel that should just be the set. CM, Scald, Shadow Ball, Slack Off. Everything is boosted, but Pseudo Hazing is nice, so there's Yawn. Slowbro gets Ice Beam, Fire Blast/Flamethrower - So I put them in as options.. Also, there's T-Wave for team support. Oh, and Toxic if you go for full Stall.. But if you go Toxic, then running Scald could be detrimental, so in that case I'd run Surf/Hydro Pump.

Tytanium18

Itinerant
quoting myself because Game Freak is dumb and Mega Audino would've been way better as a regular evolution

Mega Audino would be plenty viable and seriously considered if it wasn't forced to compete with other Mega Evolutions for the Mega slot
Tytanium18 said:
I really think Megas should have been given only to Pokemon who already have some sort of competitive viability/decent stats as a way to provide alternate options, strategies, and tradeoffs
Agreed. Having so many Pokemon fight over the Mega slot is a bad move. I hope they don't dig themselves into a hole with gen 7 by making way too many megas vs. new Pokemon and evolutions of previous Pokemon. There's no point in having so many megas, when plenty of them (Audino in particular) could have benefited from a regular evolution, and been able to be used alongside existing megas, rather than getting tossed out the window because "why the heck would you drop Mega Kang from your team?".

Last edited:

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Agreed. Having so many Pokemon fight over the Mega slot is is bad move. I hope they don't dig themselves into a hole with gen 7 by making way too many megas vs. new Pokemon and evolutions of previous Pokemon. There's no point in having so many megas, when plenty of them (Audino in particular) could have benefited from a regular evolution, and been able to be used alongside existing megas, rather than getting tossed out the window because "Mega Kang is OP".

That's assuming they want to continue with Mega Evolutions in Gen7.. They could simply enforce the stupid rule that you can't transfer items again between generations. Hence, you can't transfer the Mega Stones and if GameFreak doesn't want Mega Evolutions in further generations (quite simply because the flaw we are already witnessing and Excitable Boy pointed out so painstakingly clear) then they can simply choose not to.

It's rather scary how such a simple thing can mean that a thing so incredibly defining for one generation can be excluded from the next so easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.