• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Mega Evolutions Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RzK

Meow
I'd love it if it got a buffed up version of Intimidate, which has something to do with it's glaring, flashing eyes, that lowers two or more stats of the opponent! xD

Also, this is post number 10000! This thread reaches a milestone!

ShadowMaster666

Lord of Darkness
There is no conformation or even anything that hints towards Clemont catching that Luxio only that he befriended it as a Shinx when he was younger. Don't jump the gun quite yet guys, though I agree Mega Luxray would be awesome.

I'd also like to see a Mega Boufallant with Fur Coat since Bouf's dex entries state that its fro absorbs damage. Honestly I think the only reason it didn't get Fur Coat in XY is cause it already had 2 normal abilities and a Hidden Abillity. Though i am surprised they didn't change its HA like they did for Venipede. Soundproof doesn't really make sense unless that afro is so thick it absorbs sound.

Edit. Ignore the top part seen the pic that seems to show Luxio will be captured.

Last edited:

Illusio

No words, only rage
There is no conformation or even anything that hints towards Clemont catching that Luxio only that he befriended it as a Shinx when he was younger. Don't jump the gun quite yet guys, though I agree Mega Luxray would be awesome.

It showed up in an advertisement alongside the main cast while no other Pokémon not caught or owned by them did, which does at least imply it being captured.

Cradily17

I know this may be incredibly unlikely, but I really hope that Sceptile will be able to learn Tail Glow or at least Nasty Plot in the upcoming remakes. It should also get a new signature move based on its tail-being-launched animation.

Conifer Missile:
Type: Grass
Category: Special
85 BP, 100 Acc, 16 PP max
The user launches its tail like a missile. This attack deals damage based off of the target's physical Defense. It's basically a Grass-type Secret Sword.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
I know this may be incredibly unlikely, but I really hope that Sceptile will be able to learn Tail Glow or at least Nasty Plot in the upcoming remakes. It should also get a new signature move based on its tail-being-launched animation.

Conifer Missile:
The user launches its tail like a missile. This attack deals damage based off of the target's physical Defense. It's basically a Grass-type Secret Sword.
Dragon Dance would be very good too, since Mega Sceptile will be unable to use Unburden boost. So would Growth(which actually becomes Swords Dance + Nasty Plot under the sun).

Though as I stated before, I'm more optimistic about Sceptile getting mid-tier Electric moves and more coverage moves like Earth Power then Sceptile getting more boosting moves.

And for the previous topic;
After seeing that Clemont's going to get Luxio in the anime, I'm really starting to think that they'll now either release Mega Luxray in OR/AS or the third Kalos game

Given the pace of Evolutions in the animé and the fact that Luxio is a Friend Safari exclusive and as such will probably appear in the Southern Kalos Dex(as it has been the case for virtually any post-game Pokémon who later appeared in the expanded regional dex)... it is probably going to be latter... assuming that the next Kalos game is announced next year. If we end up having a two year break, then sure, it can happen in OR/AS.

I think I might need to blog about this topic.

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan
I love flygon. He's my second favorite pokemon of all time. But I think people are getting too trigger happy with the fairy type. Not everything in existence will get fairy typed mega evo lol. Fairy barely fits into flygon except that it is based on a myth of a desert spirit. Ground works much better since it is based on the antlion. I can see why people would think bug but its fine as ground. I think it just needs better stats to do something garchomp can't and an ability for a niche that it can use. I always liked the idea of tinted lens for it and it woulda been cool, but oh well. Something worthwhile for an ability pls. Levitate is nice but doesn't help a whole too lot for something like flygon. 100/80/100 are great offensive stats. The only reason it was never great is because garchomp did everything it could do better. Ialways thought it would be a nice specially focused mon to set it apart from garchomp. They would just need to work on its special movepool althought it already gets a fairly decent amount of moves to work on. All the common fire moves, draco meteor dragon pulse, earth power, giga drain, and some other weaker options like air cutter, signal beam, and ominous wind. If they gave it sheer force earth power would be great. Actually, sheer force would be great with a lot of these moves.

Tinted lens would be the more fitting ability, if he keeps his "goggles". Also it's a great idea boosting it's special attack to differentiate it from garchomp.

I'd love it if it got a buffed up version of Intimidate, which has something to do with it's glaring, flashing eyes, that lowers two or more stats of the opponent! xD

It's sad that luxray has no good physical electric move without taking recoil damage. I would like mega luxray to keep intimidate. That means you can -2 attack something when you mega evolve. -1 when luxray comes out and another -1 when it mega evolves. If it would get a stronger intimidate that would be halving the attack and that's a little too much.

I'd also like to see a Mega Boufallant with Fur Coat since Bouf's dex entries state that its fro absorbs damage. Honestly I think the only reason it didn't get Fur Coat in XY is cause it already had 2 normal abilities and a Hidden Abillity. Though i am surprised they didn't change its HA like they did for Venipede. Soundproof doesn't really make sense unless that afro is so thick it absorbs sound.

Once again, fits it perfectly. With that and a boost to it's attack and spec. defense it would become an incredibly dangerous threat since it's HP is also pretty decent. It's speed is irrelevant since it's already horrible. 95/160/95/50/125/65 with double def boost thanks to fur coat is incredible. Sure it's slow but it doesn't care about taking hits. And 160 attack is monstruous. Mega garchomp might be scary but a really stronger attacker and capable of taking hits? Now i'm scared.

Conifer Missile:

Tail glow would be a little too much. It also doesn't fit it too much. Ampharos should have tail glow because it's tail is a freaking lighthouse light! Nasty plot would be ok and i agree, it needs something to boost it's special attack. The move is also really cool, i like psychock and secret sword and since sceptile introduced the badass leaf blade it would be awesome if it introduced another move.

Wizardly Oz

Scholar of Insects
I was thinking about a cool design option for Mega Relicanth: turning it into a Dunkleosteus! While coelacanths and placoderms aren't related, in the pokémon's world it could still works, and Relicanth already has some inspiring details about that (the head armor in particular). In this sense, Relicanth's Mega would be a massive top predator armored fish, it could retains its typing or turning it into water/steel, rock head would fit perfectly with its original typing, a water/steel would need something different (Sheer Force? Solid Rock?). For the easier water/rock version with rock head, stats like 100/150/130/45/95/65 maybe sound not too menacing, but a waterfall/head smash/EQ/rock polish set could be fearsome, and I don't see any other option (boosting too much its speed would be nonsense conceptually).
Excellent idea! I signed in after reading your post so I could pin this picture of dunkleosteus skull:
Dunkleosteus_skull.jpg

Relicanth is essentially a bone-plated (placoderm, like dunkley) with mostly coelacanth mixed in. I think it'd be great if they expanded on the placoderm origins-- what a fierce mega!

SILVER XD

Momentai, bro.
Ampharos should have tail glow because it's tail is a freaking lighthouse light!

Yes! I was actually about to comment this, Tail Glow would be so sweet for Amphy.

Also, I agree, making Mega Flygon specially based with Tinted lens would be great. Flygon's probably the last Pokémon that seems plausible(or likely, rather) to get a mega in these games that I would really be excited for. I want a Mega Mightyena as well but that's nearly a pipe dream.

Rapiido

Random question not sure if this has been asked before...
In Mega Sharpedo's art, it has fanged protrusions coming out of its snout
In the screenshots, it doesn't

Was there was some sorta statement that it can retract these? Or... is one of them incorrect?

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.

Was there was some sorta statement that it can retract these? Or... is one of them incorrect?

It appears when taunted,using a boosting move otprforming a physical move that doesnt switch the camera angle.

There is no statement that they are retractable. However its description mentions that the nose horns can be regrown countless times. So I'm pretty sure they are either retractable or simply fall of and regrow.
What exactly that will cause the horns to appear/disappear is currently unknown though.

SILVER XD

Momentai, bro.
Or not, because Tail Glow is Firefly Light in japanese.

Or maybe because Manaphy also has Tail Glow and definitely isn't a firefly. Ampharos is able to preform the same glowing tail action as Volbeat. I see no flavor reasons why Ampharos shouldn't be able to use it if something as un-firefly as Manaphy can.

That's like saying non-Dragons shouldn't be able to use Dragon Pulse when many can.

Last edited:

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan
Yes! I was actually about to comment this, Tail Glow would be so sweet for Amphy.

Also, I agree, making Mega Flygon specially based with Tinted lens would be great. Flygon's probably the last Pokémon that seems plausible(or likely, rather) to get a mega in these games that I would really be excited for. I want a Mega Mightyena as well but that's nearly a pipe dream.

This is why i'm torn about giving megas to traditional pokemon. Mightyena and liepard are basically the starting dark canine/feline but since there's only 2 it would be cool to see both get megas. I would like to see mega mightyena. Same with linoone, furret, swellow, talonflame, staraptor, pidgeot, ariados, ledian, beedrill or mothim but since they are the traditional rodent/bird/bug it's unfair to make megas only for those and leave the others without anything but if all get them the designs get boring.

Jirachi for the demo (and it's megastone) would be cool but knowing GF and their habit with the event pokes i don't see that coming. I would really really like to have access to jirachi, like celebi with the bank but i'm lowering my expectations to only getting 1 of the starter's mega stone.

XXD17

Draco rex

Edit. Ignore the top part seen the pic that seems to show Luxio will be captured.

The afro covers its ears so it can't hear...If it did go mega and got fur coat, I'd want it to looks like a yak...

I'm sure GF will do something cool with Mega Flygon to differentiate it from Garchomp. Just see the differences between Zygarde and Garchomp.

The general offensive set for chomp and zygarde don't really play very differently though...they both use a boosting moves (d-dance/ coil vs SD), 2 physical STABs (outrage and EQ) and one coverage move (E-speed/ stone edge vs fire fang/ stone edge/ poison jab/ iron head)...the only differences is that one is more defensive where it can achieve boosts that help it last longer while the other is faster and can deal lots of immediate damage without the need to set up...along with certain niche moves such as zygarde's E-speed priority vs. chomp's poison jab/ iron head fairy coverage...otherwise, they play very similarly with zygarde being significantly less popular due to its lack of immediate power while still retaining the same 4X ice weakness that chomp has while unable to abuse scarf like chomp can....and although defensive zygarde with coil is possible, it's just an ice beam waiting to happen with zygarde's subpar speed...HOWEVER, I'm confident that zygarde will get a buff pretty soon (mega evo or alternate forms) and along with its unreleased special thousand arrows move, it will become significantly better than garchomp and most likely will become Ubers in the future...

For flygon, it's essentially a mediocre garchomp with a slightly different play style...its stats are offensively-oriented with pretty good speed and decent attack that are completely overshadowed by chomp's stats...all flygon really has over chomp is a slightly stronger coverage move in the form of fire punch and the very niche u-turn, which makes it a great scarf/ band scout that is much better than noivern for the job, which is a decent trade off for its lack of boosting attacks save the mediocre hone claws...if it does get a mega that still keeps dragon/ ground, it's going to need enough speed to outspeed garchomp to even be considered in OU...since it has no item access, stuff it will normally outspeed with scarf (notably greninja) will no longer be outsped simply making it a worse garchomp...IN UU, there is a possibility for it to shine but choice scarf flygon is the norm there...the only other way for flygon to be unique while still retaining dragon/ ground might be making it special rather than physical...but landorus already stomps all over that once again usurping flygon's OU potential...

That's why I think in order for flygon to be a force in OU is for it to change its type upon mega-evolving to make it completely different from chomp...as everyone has already suggested, myself included, changing its typing to bug/dragon will do just that...this type change doesn't just aesthetically and logically make sense but it also centralizes around flygon being that ideal scout-dragon giving STAB to its u-turns...this typing will eliminate its 4X ice weakness as well making it harder to OHKO...a trade off will be the obvious rocks damage and more weaknesses but it does get roost to compensate and has great type coverage in its movepool...as for ability, tinted lens is great allowing it to get neutral or SE STAB U-turns off on everything and not getting completely walled by fairies...as for stats, give it 20 speed to outspeed chomp, 30 attack to equal chomp, and either 25 in both defenses or 25 in SA and 25 in defense with SD untouched since flygon has a pretty decent special move pool to work with...

BUT, Smogon tiers are nothing official therefore making my reasoning lose weight but either way, a bug/ dragon would still be pretty cool...

Last edited:

Zoldakin

I always saw Luxray Mega getting an ability related to it's eyes since that's mention in all it's pokedex entries something like Tinted Lens.

well lens would imply he had lens over his eyes, not anything to do with his eyes. But yea, I always thought something like keen eye in terms of word usage would be cool, you know, so long as it didn't suck hard like keen eye.

BurningWhiteKyurem

After seeing that Clemont's going to get Luxio in the anime, I'm really starting to think that they'll now either release Mega Luxray in OR/AS or the third Kalos game

Except the anime doesn't exactly influence the games. Plus, it's seems weird to assume Clermont having a Pokemon means that said Pokemon will have a Mega Evolution.

Hexin' Wishes

Diva Extraordinaire
Except the anime doesn't exactly influence the games. Plus, it's seems weird to assume Clermont having a Pokemon means that said Pokemon will have a Mega Evolution.

Ahh, but the animé is promotion for the game so it's not unlikely that the decision for Luxray to have a role in the animé could be promotional material planned for Mega Luxray by Gamefreak.

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan

Its the other way around, we are sayign its getting captured to promote the line, the anime is game advertising so yes ofc the anime doesn't dictate what goes in the games but this might be a "spoiler/hint" at Luxray getting a mega.

...I wonder what a Mega Skarmory would look like? Possibly a boost to its Atk and Spe, Aerilate/Gale Wings, and a GoT-inspired wings-made-of-swords design? Since everyone wants MOAR DAKKA in their Mega's...

Status
Not open for further replies.