• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Mega Evolutions Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoldakin

I don't like the idea of Rapiash being fairy, if unicorn=fairy, then a lot of other mythical creatures should be fairy too and in which case a large majority of pokemon could be fairy as most seem to have some mythical creature inspirations in their designs!
I actually don't care what type M-Meganium is, I just want one that can shut the haters' trap! Johto starters are my favorite bunch of starters and the best thing that could happen is them being awesome without the need of a secondary type

haha, that first part sooo truuu. Like 9/10 of all the legendaries should be fairies. I wouldn't complain if rapidash did become fairy and I would understand, but that's a really broad categorization to use. I also don't care too much what it gets, so long as it becomes viable and bad ***. I wouldn't mind fairy because it would give it a good typing, but I'm hoping gamefreak goes all out and surprises me with something even more original.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
Inb4 Fire/Water MegaRapidashdueto the unicorn ever asociation with water, sometimes with wind...But that association started in the 40s of this century, les prominent but more widespread.

HRRlion

2795 4358 7025
I don't like the idea of Rapiash being fairy, if unicorn=fairy, then a lot of other mythical creatures should be fairy too and in which case a large majority of pokemon could be fairy as most seem to have some mythical creature inspirations in their designs!
I actually don't care what type M-Meganium is, I just want one that can shut the haters' trap! Johto starters are my favorite bunch of starters and the best thing that could happen is them being awesome without the need of a secondary type

Considering Azumarill, a rabbit/rat/mouse, is considered a fairy I see no reason why a unicorn shouldn't be considered a fairy. Fire/Fairy with pixilate would be great, and between Mega Pinsir, Mega Salamence and Mega Pidgeot, I tihnk we have enough flying typed megas for now. Besides, we've only had two megas add the fairy type so I don't feel they're overdoing it.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
Considering Azumarill, a rabbit/rat/mouse, is considered a fairy I see no reason why a unicorn shouldn't be considered a fairy. Fire/Fairy with pixilate would be great, and between Mega Pinsir, Mega Salamence and Mega Pidgeot, I tihnk we have enough flying typed megas for now. Besides, we've only had two megas add the fairy type so I don't feel they're overdoing it.

Oras added type to 2 megas, Audino and lopunny then switched one in Altaria. XY took away a type in agron, switched in Charizard and Mgyarados, and then added on pinsir, Ampharos and Mewtwo.

Itsreally prominent now.

HRRlion

2795 4358 7025
Oras added type to 2 megas, Audino and lopunny then switched one in Altaria. XY took away a type in agron, switched in Charizard and Mgyarados, and then added on pinsir, Ampharos and Mewtwo.

Itsreally prominent now.

Are you referring to type changes? If so well yes that's true but all of them aside from maybe Ampharos have made sense. With regards to the fairy type in particular they've only added it to 2 pokemon so I don't see why a third would be an issue.

Cerex

Its funny how there is no reason for meganium to be anything other that pure grass or grass/fairy (Im not supporting any typing here myself) but Crunch is all the reason that is needed for Feraligatr to be Dark, and volcanoes are all the reason needed for supporting Rock and Ground and coolness is all thats needed to justify dark, fighting, electric or anything else for Typhlosion.
I would love if Typhlosion at least remained pure Fire, its unique in being the only pure fire starter.
Meganium is based on a dinosaur, which we definitely more so associate with dragons than we do Fairies. Grass/Fairy for Meganium would be too easy. Though Pixilate Body Slam would be nice to see. Feraligatr Water/Dark is okay, though that type combination isn't really needed. I could see Water/Fighting. I love the idea of Typhlosion being Fire/Electric. It's similar to the Sceptile Grass/Dragon in concept.

Anyway, Johto starters Mega evolution is a ways away. In fact now with ORAS I don't even know where or when we could come back to Johto. I'm hopeful we get one or two more Megas before the release or at the very least included in the game. I think there are the ones everyone has been talking about, i.e. Flygon (Dragon/Bug?) and such, but I also wouldn't mind a few more surprises like Beedrill. I'm curious of Butterfree will get one as it was the counterpart, and so far counterparts have also gotten a Mega. If I had to take a guess I would bet on Butterfree being Bug/Psychic.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I second the Johto Megas staying pure typed. Mega Sceptile gaining a type made since as he was the only pure type out of the trio.
I don't even know what types they'd give them. Feraligatr could be Dark but what about Typhlosion?

LordSerperior

That is exactly what I am saying, if you are gonna use the "mythical creature" logic, fairy would be a sensible type to give to a lot of Pokemon! A lot of pokemon take some inspiration from mythical creatures, in their designs or dex entries! Also look at the fairy types that already exist, maybe GF does not think of the type the same way as you do! Maybe to them, being based on a mythical creature is not what describes the type, its something different, according to which Azumarril might fit but Rapidash does not. Rapidash has nothing in common with any of the existing fairy types, it looks like a pure fire type and Id like it to stay that way.

Meganium is based on a dinosaur, which we definitely more so associate with dragons than we do Fairies. Grass/Fairy for Meganium would be too easy. Though Pixilate Body Slam would be nice to see. Feraligatr Water/Dark is okay, though that type combination isn't really needed. I could see Water/Fighting. I love the idea of Typhlosion being Fire/Electric. It's similar to the Sceptile Grass/Dragon in concept.

Idk what you're trying to say to me. Are you trying to argue against my point or support it? Because what I meant was that most people dismiss almost every type combinations brought up for Meganium saying they don't make sense but for Typhlosion and Feraligatr, all type combos are considered cool whether they make sense or not. Personally I am fine with whatever type GF decides to give Meganium as long as it looks awesome and can shut haters up(though I have a little preference for pure grass)

Gabry00023

I've been surfing on many pokémon websites and many people are saying MegaHaryama is going to be a thing. Is there something pointing to it?

I've been surfing on many pokémon websites and many people are saying MegaHaryama is going to be a thing. Is there something pointing to it?

All the Veterans in the Demo have the 3 starters and Hariyama, and they make a comment about the player having mastered Mega Evolution.
There was also a picture that contained pokémon that were all capable of Mega evolving, along with Flygon, Milotic and Hariyama, I think.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.

He was portrayed in promo material along flygon and milotic with the other mega evolving oras families. It seems like a tease to be honest but gives some flygon beggars hope.

HRRlion

2795 4358 7025
it looks like a pure fire type and Id like it to stay that way.

I'll start with your conclusion just to iron out a misunderstanding. I'm not arguing normal rapidsh should be a fairy, but rather a potential mega that is much more heavily unicorn in appearance should.

That is exactly what I am saying, if you are gonna use the "mythical creature" logic, fairy would be a sensible type to give to a lot of Pokemon! A lot of pokemon take some inspiration from mythical creatures, in their designs or dex entries!

Yes but that's just the way the cookie crumbles. Yes GF isn't and hasn't been logical and fair in deciding things but to use that as an argument against something happening is silly, as you could apply it to literally everything and say that that is why something won't happen.

A lot of pokemon take some inspiration from mythical creatures, in their designs or dex entries!

And Rapidash is certainly an example of this. It resembles a unicorn although is primarily a horse and has many similarities with many greek and hindu horses in roman/hindu mythology (from bulbapedia).

Also look at the fairy types that already exist, maybe GF does not think of the type the same way as you do! Maybe to them, being based on a mythical creature is not what describes the type, its something different, according to which Azumarril might fit but Rapidash does not. Rapidash has nothing in common with any of the existing fairy types,

But that is where your argument falls flat against itself. You claim GF may have a different criteria for deciding what does and doesn't get the fairy type and I agree. But to then say that something won't get the fairy type because it doesn't fit any existing patterns nullifies that. You're essentially saying a mega Rapidash can't get the fairy typing because GF uses a different way of deciding what is and isn't a fairy but then go on to say it won't get the fairy type BECAUSE it does not have similarities with existing fairies.

it looks like a pure fire type and Id like it to stay that way.

I respect that, but I respectfully disagree. A fairy typing would both suit a mega rapidash that is unicorn in appearance and also help to make it good competitively. It certainly makes more sense than Ampharos becoming a dragon type simply because of the ryu bit of its name being one letter away from ryuu.

Gabry00023

Aw, I understand now. If it turns out to be real, I think it is an interesting choice. To say the truth, I don't really care about Haryama so I wouldn't be bugged by it having a m-evo. I just can't think about how it will turn out to be. I bet it will be even bigger and fat.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
Aw, I understand now. If it turns out to be real, I think it is an interesting choice. To say the truth, I don't really care about Haryama so I wouldn't be bugged by it having a m-evo. I just can't think about how it will turn out to be. I bet it will be even bigger and fat.

Ot totally ripped having 6packs on his 6packs, remember Sumo wrestling is widely respected on japan. Also most of the body mass of a Sumo wrestler aiming to the top is sait to be muscle. They do have avery extreme training regimen if i recall. Emboar is anither sumo based pokemon and just look at how bulky and agresive it looks.

Gabry00023

I think you're right. He really looks like a sumo wrestler. Trying to imagine its mega evolution I expect this:

HP: 144
Att: 150 (+30)
Def: 100 (+40)
S.Att: 40
S.Def: 100 (+40)
Speed: 40 (-10)

Its ability could be something like Sheer Force, Thick Fat or even Iron Fist.

DasManiac

Anyway, Johto starters Mega evolution is a ways away. In fact now with ORAS I don't even know where or when we could come back to Johto. I'm hopeful we get one or two more Megas before the release or at the very least included in the game. I think there are the ones everyone has been talking about, i.e. Flygon (Dragon/Bug?) and such, but I also wouldn't mind a few more surprises like Beedrill. I'm curious of Butterfree will get one as it was the counterpart, and so far counterparts have also gotten a Mega. If I had to take a guess I would bet on Butterfree being Bug/Psychic.

Dinosaurs are always Rock types in the games. There's only been two that were part Dragon and they are Trynunt and Tyrantrum. Amaura, Aurorus, Cranidos, Rampardos, Shieldon, and Bastiodon were all Rock types. Not sure where the association with Dragons comes from.

I second the Johto Megas staying pure typed. Mega Sceptile gaining a type made since as he was the only pure type out of the trio.
I don't even know what types they'd give them. Feraligatr could be Dark but what about Typhlosion?

Mega Meganium would likely be Grass/Rock, Feraligatr would probably be Water/Dragon, and Typhlosion is very likely to become Fire/Dark.

Kyurem209

Dp you guys think mega milotic will happen? I do, Im still hoping for mega milotic to be revealed

I think so, and a few things point to it being so
> Contests now involve megas
> Feebas evolves through Beauty (still involving Contests)
>you battle Wallace outside the Gym, and being a performer of sorts (so I heard) he could very well have a Mega Milotic

piemaster924000

Finals make me cry
Dinosaurs are always Rock types in the games. There's only been two that were part Dragon and they are Trynunt and Tyrantrum. Amaura, Aurorus, Cranidos, Rampardos, Shieldon, and Bastiodon were all Rock types. Not sure where the association with Dragons comes from.

Mega Meganium would likely be Grass/Rock, Feraligatr would probably be Water/Dragon, and Typhlosion is very likely to become Fire/Dark.
ummm those dinosaur/prehistoric pokemon are fossils so yeah and meganium is based of a brontosaurus

Taodragon

Training Anaylst

Sugimori has said that Haxorus is based on a plant eating dinosaur, and other dragon type Pokemon like Kyurem and Dialga take some cues from dinosaurs as well (theropods and sauropods respectively). Similarly, not all dinosaurs are rock types as proven by those like Tropius, which is definitely based on a sauropod.

I'm curious why Typhlosion would be likely to become Fire/Dark. There's nothing about its personality, background or design that fits the typing, it seems pretty random for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.