• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Mega Evolutions Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
So Mega Flygon was being considered for both X and Y and OmegaRuby and Alpha Sapphire but they couldn't come up with a good design apparently, according to Ken Sugimori in the new Nintendo Dream interview!

And with all the terrible fan designs of it I can't blame him. Flygon itself has such a basic design that to make a mega and not overdo it is asking for too much.

Maybe we'll see one in the future.

zapto369

Because I'm Worth It
And with all the terrible fan designs of it I can't blame him. Flygon itself has such a basic design that to make a mega and not overdo it is asking for too much.

Maybe we'll see one in the future.

If they're already been contemplating it, I feel like they would release one in the future, either in Pokemon Z/XY2 or what not or in the next gen. I respect them for waiting to think of a really good design. I'd rather them take their time and make a cool Mega for Flygon rather than releasing one that they rushed and it come out awful.

Autobot N

I'd say that M-Salamence and M-Rayquaza are the best. Just imagine, Adamant or Jolly M-Salamence with Iron Tail, Outrage, some other type coverage move (Aqua Tail maybe), and Aerialate boosted STAB Thrash. As for M-Ray, Adamant or Jolly with Iron Tail, Dragon Claw/Outrage, Dragon Ascent, and another Physical move. Personally, I like to put V-Create on it for the fourth slot because its a good second Ice counter, and it can deal super effective damage to Steel types, which resist all of its other moves.

Haunter ゴースト

We were given Mega Heracross but Sugimori thinks the Mega Flygon designs were bad?

Half of the Mega designs are only ok at most, some that come to mind being Mega Glalie, Mega Kangaskan, Mega Venusaur - I highly doubt a Mega Flygon design could have been so bad that it stopped them making it.

fishyfool

And a nice chianti
They should make up for this by running a Mega Flygon design competition. Just give us the basic image of him and let us work on megaing him up.

Having difficulty coming up with a proper design my arse. If they dumped out such gaudy things like Mega Glalie, Lopunny, Slowbro, Garchomp and even the above Venusaur, then why would a sand dragon be so hard?

zapto369

Because I'm Worth It
I'd say that M-Salamence and M-Rayquaza are the best. Just imagine, Adamant or Jolly M-Salamence with Iron Tail, Outrage, some other type coverage move (Aqua Tail maybe), and Aerialate boosted STAB Thrash. As for M-Ray, Adamant or Jolly with Iron Tail, Dragon Claw/Outrage, Dragon Ascent, and another Physical move. Personally, I like to put V-Create on it for the fourth slot because its a good second Ice counter, and it can deal super effective damage to Steel types, which resist all of its other moves.

Rayquaza can learn V-Create?! Unrelated, I would agree that M-Rayquaza is probably the best Mega there is, but a close second would probably be M-Blaziken. Between the coveted Speed Boost ability and access to moves like Swords Dance and Bulk Up, it becomes an absolute beastly sweeper (hence why it's in the Uber tier).

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
We were given Mega Heracross but Sugimori thinks the Mega Flygon designs were bad?

I mean. Have you actually seen what the bug Heracross is based on looks like? Mega Heracross has the most fitting design possible for what it's supposed to be.

Rayquaza can learn V-Create?! Unrelated, I would agree that M-Rayquaza is probably the best Mega there is, but a close second would probably be M-Blaziken. Between the coveted Speed Boost ability and access to moves like Swords Dance and Bulk Up, it becomes an absolute beastly sweeper (hence why it's in the Uber tier).

Top two competitively would definitely be Mega Rayquaza and then Mega Salamence. Mega Rayquaza completely invalidates the other Megas to the point where most teams would be made better just by replacing whatever Mega is on the team with Rayquaza. 780 BST with item choice, one of the best STAB moves in the game with incredible offenses/speed, acceptable bulk and an insanely good defensive ability leaves no room for question, especially since the phenomenal movepool was already there to begin with. Dragon moves are rarely needed, Dragon Ascent/Extreme Speed/Earthquake or V-Create/Swords or Dragon Dance covers basically everything it needs. I mean this thing single-handedly made Mega Gengar and Mega Salamence look sub-par or even mediocre, which says a lot since Mega Salamence is now the best Mega around solely with Mega Rayquaza banned. Blaziken is very good, but he really hates the existence of Primal Groudon and Mega Salamence.

Autobot N

5th Gen event. On a different note, M-Metagross is also really good. Neutral nature, with Meteor Mash, Zen Headbutt, Hammer Arm, and something else (perhaps Earthquake for Fire coverage). Another one I like is M-Sceptile, but the one I got as a starter had a bad nature, so I don't use it that much. For him, maybe Careful (because most Poison, Ice, and Fairy type moves are special) with Leaf Blade, Dragon Claw, Rock Slide, and Iron Tail.

Belgrim

Mega Sceptile is my fav starter mega. I love how he turns around and gives the opponent that glare.

TyranatarGojira

Half of the Mega designs are only ok at most, some that come to mind being Mega Glalie, Mega Kangaskan, Mega Venusaur - I highly doubt a Mega Flygon design could have been so bad that it stopped them making it.

I like Mega Kangaskan. It's a great example of a less is more design, rather than being a overly fancified version of the regular one. I'm looking at you Mega Lucario.

I dread to imagine what a Mega Arceus might be like. Okay I also salivate. Maybe it gets an ability named "omnipotent" like it had in Pokemon Conquest. Some crazy effect like it only takes 1/4 damage from all elemental types, and does 4x damage to all elemental types.

zapto369

Because I'm Worth It
I like Mega Kangaskan. It's a great example of a less is more design, rather than being a overly fancified version of the regular one. I'm looking at you Mega Lucario.

I dread to imagine what a Mega Arceus might be like. Okay I also salivate. Maybe it gets an ability named "omnipotent" like it had in Pokemon Conquest. Some crazy effect like it only takes 1/4 damage from all elemental types, and does 4x damage to all elemental types.

Mega Kangaskhan was pretty cool, mostly because of it's fun ability which made it really strong when used the right way (also Uber I believe). It was an interesting gimmick among Megas anyways.

Mega Arceus would just be madly strong. I don't think they would ever do it, but it would be ungodly (hehe) to see. To be honest, I don't really see them doing more Megas of legendaries since most of ones they did either had relevance to the plot of a game (Rayquaza) or were fan-service (both of the Mewtwo's). I guess M-Diance would be the exception to this. Now Primal Reversions... that would be fun to see more of, and quite possible. I mean, Dialga technically had a Primal form in PMD, although I don't know if that would be related or in the same canon.

Autobot N

Mega Kangaskhan was pretty cool, mostly because of it's fun ability which made it really strong when used the right way (also Uber I believe). It was an interesting gimmick among Megas anyways.

Mega Arceus would just be madly strong. I don't think they would ever do it, but it would be ungodly (hehe) to see. To be honest, I don't really see them doing more Megas of legendaries since most of ones they did either had relevance to the plot of a game (Rayquaza) or were fan-service (both of the Mewtwo's). I guess M-Diance would be the exception to this. Now Primal Reversions... that would be fun to see more of, and quite possible. I mean, Dialga technically had a Primal form in PMD, although I don't know if that would be related or in the same canon.

That was a translation. I believe its Japanese name meant Dark Dialga.

zapto369

Because I'm Worth It
That was a translation. I believe its Japanese name meant Dark Dialga.

Ah, that makes a lot of sense then actually. In that case, I retract my previous statement, I don't think we'll be seeing much in the way of primal reversion in the future lols.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Primal Reversion is presented as being explicitly tied to Groudon/Kyogre and the Red/Blue Orbs. In other words the plot and lore of the Hoenn region, the conflict between the two and their desire for power. The fact that Rayquaza got a Mega for its own unique reasons instead of Primal suggests that it's not a thing they're just giving to legendaries that have lived for millions of years (otherwise Ray would definitely have one). I really can't see a Primal anything after these two, I feel that this will be a lore specific thing similar to Absofusion for Kyurem. If they do anything for future legendaries I doubt they'll use Primal Reversion, they'll probably come up with a new and more fitting name and gimmick. Even if in essence it ends up comparable to Mega Evolution.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
So Mega Flygon was being considered for both X and Y and OmegaRuby and Alpha Sapphire but they couldn't come up with a good design apparently, according to Ken Sugimori in the new Nintendo Dream interview!

At least he's being honest. I wasn't looking forward to Mega Flygon much anyway. I wanted Mega Milotic instead, but we didn't get that in these games either for what ever reason.

I must say that I'm actually quite pleased with Sugimori's answer. I personally have a hard time seeing how they could make a Mega Flygon without either "just adding spikes" or making it a completely different concept than the regular Flygon.
I never really saw why Mega Flygon was so important and I'm glad they didn't make Mega Flygon just for the cause of having it. Although I do question how some other designs got the green light. I guess we probably will see Mega Flygon sooner or later when they have made a design they are pleased with.

zapto369

Because I'm Worth It
I never really saw why Mega Flygon was so important and I'm glad they didn't make Mega Flygon just for the cause of having it.

I'm thinking the main reason why it'd be so cool to have a Mega Flygon is because it's a decently popular evolutionary line that didn't get a Mega when other less popular ones did. Also, Flygon in ORAS was the signature Pokemon of a notable character (Aurane), so it would have made sense to let him have a Mega, much like Steven, the E4, Maxie/Archie, and Brendan/May did. To be honest though, there are others I would have liked to see get a Mega before Flygon, most notably one of the only past-gen pseudo legendaries to not get one: Dragonite.

Belgrim

I'm thinking the main reason why it'd be so cool to have a Mega Flygon is because it's a decently popular evolutionary line that didn't get a Mega when other less popular ones did. Also, Flygon in ORAS was the signature Pokemon of a notable character (Aurane), so it would have made sense to let him have a Mega, much like Steven, the E4, Maxie/Archie, and Brendan/May did. To be honest though, there are others I would have liked to see get a Mega before Flygon, most notably one of the only past-gen pseudo legendaries to not get one: Dragonite.

Dragonite doesn't need a mega imo. I'm curious though, if Mega Flygon was to be fully designed and added, what would change? Would it lose one typing for another? would it lose levitate for a new ability? What stats would be buffed and by how much? There's much more to a mega evolution than just design.

Status
Not open for further replies.