• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Mega Evolutions Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KillerDraco

Aerodactyl was pretty nasty to begin with, given it's Mega, he went all sorts of god-like.

I wouldn't go that far. Mega 'Dactyl is an okay Mega but is nowhere near what anyone would call "godlike". Unfortunately, although it got a great ability in Tough Claws, it's stuck with some weak moves to abuse it. After all, it's stuck with Aerial Ace for a reliable flying STAB, which has such a low base power; it really, desperately wishes it got Brave Bird. Most of its other best coverage moves don't get a Tough Claws boost, either; Stone Edge and Earthquake unfortunately miss out on it. It does get the boost on Aqua Tail and Fire Fang though, but these moves are used comparatively less. Compared to things like Mega Metagross and Mega Charizard X, who both have the same ability, both of them have their best STAB attacks and some of their coverage moves get a Tough Claws boost as well. It also has a serious case of 4MSS; it often finds itself struggling to carry everything it needs, and often misses out on valuable coverage as a result.

It's not bad, since that speed tier is fantastic, but let's not over-exaggerate how good it is, lol.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
It's not bad, since that speed tier is fantastic, but let's not over-exaggerate how good it is, lol.

Nah, Mega Salamence is better than Mega Metagross, Mega Charizard X and Mega Aerodactyl. Mega Salamence can kick off with one Dragon Dance and he's deadly. With Return/Double Edge, Earthquake and Fire Blast/Draco Meteor, he is a powerhouse. Fire Blast gives him coverage and Draco Meteor can do STAB damage without affecting its physical sweeper status. Earthquake gives him more coverage and his real power lies in Return/Double Edge. Combined with Aerialate, it can do horrible damage but you only go for Return if you don't like the horrible recoil damage.

Base stats of Mega Salamence:
95/145/130/120/90/120 (HP/Attack/Defense/Sp. Attack/Sp. Defense/Speed)

Last edited:

KillerDraco

Nah, Mega Salamence is better than Mega Metagross, Mega Charizard X and Mega Aerodactyl. Mega Salamence can kick off with one Dragon Dance and he's deadly. With Return/Double Edge, Earthquake and Fire Blast/Draco Meteor, he is a powerhouse. Fire Blast gives him coverage and Draco Meteor can do STAB damage without affecting its physical sweeper status. Earthquake gives him more coverage and his real power lies in Return/Double Edge. Combined with Aerialate, it can do horrible damage but you only go for Return if you don't like the horrible recoil damage.

Base stats of Mega Salamence:
95/145/130/120/90/120 (HP/Attack/Defense/Sp. Attack/Sp. Defense/Speed)

Um... No one was talking about Mega Salamence. All this was in reference to Mega Aerodactyl, not Mega Salamence.

It's well established that MegaMence is easily one of the best Mega Evolutions, with only Mega Rayquaza (lol) and Mega Gengar really being comparable.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Um... No one was talking about Mega Salamence. All this was in reference to Mega Aerodactyl, not Mega Salamence.

It's well established that MegaMence is easily one of the best Mega Evolutions, with only Mega Rayquaza (lol) and Mega Gengar really being comparable.

Well, ikr?! Well of the Tough Claws Megas mentioned, I like Mega Metagross the best because of 700 BST and is cool.

I still like fraxure way more than haxorus but steel is probably the most fitting 2nd type to add to it. Besides an absolute OP type combo(not even fairies hurt now, only ground and fighting, it totally fits it's armored design. No guard guillotine would be even more ridiculous than mega rayquaza but if not possible, maybe a fur coat with a different name, doubling it's defense (because armor) don't even add defense points but make it have not so good sp. defense. Still, there's 100 points do distribute through 2 key stats.
147/90/60/70/97 would turn into 177/180(90x2)/60/100/137. faster than standard M-rayquaza, almost the same attack, a beastly defense and a pretty decent sp. def as well, despite it's meh 76 base HP. hits fast, super hard, access to SD and even better, DD and the only thing it's afraid is earth power and the very inaccurate focus blast so...very very OP. I love it!

There's an ability that already exists and sorta fits your idea: Filter. With Dragon/Steel having so few weaknesses and so many resistances, it'd be hard to put a hurting on him with an ability like that. I also don't think he should be faster than M-Rayquaza with all that clunky armor, but that's just me being a realist. I would give him 177/110/60/100/117 BST, so that he's faster than most things that'd threaten him after one DD, and can tear them apart before he even needs to use Filter.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Okay, here's my low-down on how I rank the ORAS Mega Evolutions

Beedrill-Very happy with it. Admittedly there is only so much you can do with increasing 100 on what was a weak Pokemon, but they did enough. I love LOVE its design...one of the best mega designs I've seen
Pidgeot-While I like that mediocore Pokemon are getting a buff, Pidgeot's mega isn't that impressive. Its ability only helps Hurricane and Heat Wave
Slowbro-I'm divided on the design. It is either too stupid, or so perfectly stupid no other design would fit it
Steelix-Oh mah glob, it's the Crystal Onix!
Sableye-I expected Mega Sableye to be more offensive, but I guess being defensive serves as a counter Mega Mawile
Glalie-Why isn't it part Dark or Fairy?
Lopunny-Gamefreak, what are you on? You Mega Evolve your Playboy Bunny Pokemon with stockings?! E for everyone!

Luster Purge

not enough space h--

I'm still waiting for Mega Delcatty, Flygon & Mightyena.

I don't really use Mega Pokemon, so I can't really say whether I like the new additions other than aesthetcally. Personally, I think they're all ok. I don't know about Slowbro, though... I thought it was kind of a weird addition. Mega Audino is weird too? But I guess that's just because I don't know anything about their usefulness.

Honestly the only megas I have ever used are Lucario, Venusaur and Swampert because I don't really do a lot of battling outside of the main story, at least not yet (including X). Oh, and mega Rayquaza, which you're forced to use. I do really love Mega Rayquaza and the primal reversions. I mean, Mega Groudon's ability???? holy crap​

PlatinumD3

Apparently Mega Flygon was coming out if they found a design they liked. That's what I heard at least.

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
I'm still waiting for Mega Delcatty, Flygon & Mightyena.

In my opinion, Delcatty's BST is so low it's better if it gets a permanent standard evolution instead.

Seriously, Delcatty's BST is only 380. That's around the standard BST for basic stage Pokemon that can still evolve, example being Buneary who has 350.

A Mega Delcatty would have a BST only 10 points higher than a Cinccino's BST.

KillerDraco

In my opinion, Delcatty's BST is so low it's better if it gets a permanent standard evolution instead.

Seriously, Delcatty's BST is only 380. That's around the standard BST for basic stage Pokemon that can still evolve, example being Buneary who has 350.

A Mega Delcatty would have a BST only 10 points higher than a Cinccino's BST.

Tell that to Sableye and Mawile. Both of them had BST of 380 but their Mega Evolutions were AMAZING improvements. It's not just about stats, it's also about the ability they give them as well.

Alternatively, there's also the Mega Beedrill treatment, where although it only got a net +100 BST improvement, it effectively got a +130 since the 30 they took away from it were from its already low special attack which it didn't use.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Tell that to Sableye and Mawile. Both of them had BST of 380 but their Mega Evolutions were AMAZING improvements. It's not just about stats, it's also about the ability they give them as well.

Altaria also got a huge improvement all because it got a Mega. It partially has to do with its typing and its Ability. It had a similar story with Mawile, jumping from NU all the way up to OU.

Rio!

Composer
Altaria also got a huge improvement all because it got a Mega. It partially has to do with its typing and its Ability. It had a similar story with Mawile, jumping from NU all the way up to OU.

I agree about Altaria, especially. Now it can actually use its nice move-pool offensively YAAAY. Similar boat for Lopunny as well since it received Scrappy for smacking around Ghosts. Overall though, ORAS kind of left a better impression of megas this go 'round. Still love Char-Y/Kanga/'Rados but yeeah.

Last edited:

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member

Alternatively, there's also the Mega Beedrill treatment, where although it only got a net +100 BST improvement, it effectively got a +130 since the 30 they took away from it were from its already low special attack which it didn't use.

True, I forgot their BST were in the 380 range too.

I've had a second thought about it, I guess Delcatty CAN have a decent Mega, even without any stat cut or stat-boosting ability. But I would like it better if it can go Mixed or at least be like Pidgeot and turns into a more special-based Pokemon instead :p

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
Mega Rayquaza is the strongest in my opinion and not even steel, fairy or ice could stand up to it. BST of 780 and the powerful Dragon Ascent move makes Mega Rayquaza a dangerous foe. Delta Stream is a fantastic ability and it can hold items such as life orb. Now that is what you call a mega evolution.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Mega Rayquaza is the strongest in my opinion and not even steel, fairy or ice could stand up to it. BST of 780 and the powerful Dragon Ascent move makes Mega Rayquaza a dangerous foe. Delta Stream is a fantastic ability and it can hold items such as life orb. Now that is what you call a mega evolution.

Its counters are Power Herb Xerneas (already charged up) and when weakened, Extreme Speed Arceus can do the job. Even the most overpowered Mega can be countered.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
Its counters are Power Herb Xerneas (already charged up) and when weakened, Extreme Speed Arceus can do the job. Even the most overpowered Mega can be countered.

Those aren't counters, a counter by definition must be able to freely switch into the Pokemon. Xerneas can't switch in freely as Dragon Ascent will put it into Extremespeed killing range (and flat out OHKO it if Rayquaza has a boost of any sort), same with Arceus. They may be checks, but they can't freely chase out Emerald Delta Dragon that easily.

Last edited:

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Those aren't counters, Xerneas can't switch in freely as Dragon Ascent will put it into Extremespeed killing range (and flat out OHKO it if Rayquaza has a boost of any sort), same with Arceus. They may be checks, but they can't freely chase out Emerald Delta Dragon just by switching in as there's some risk in doing it.

Well, I thought of something. Risk a Prankster Sableye (Confuse Ray or Will-O-Wisp). It is immune to Rayquaza's priority move Extreme Speed.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Well, I thought of something. Risk a Prankster Sableye (Confuse Ray or Will-O-Wisp). It is immune to Rayquaza's priority move Extreme Speed.

that's a great strategy if you ever fight a Mega Rayquaza that only has Extreme Speed as an offensive move

Karxrida

Lost in the Waves
Yeah that's not a counter either, plus Mega Ray can hold a Lum Berry if it wants to.

Rio!

Composer

Personally, I'd be a little irate in having to open/waste a spot on my Uber-level team just to open it up for a very specific Pokemon that may or may not work. Mega Rayquaza is more like team-project if you ask me, so there isn't a single, consistent counter to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.