• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Moves & Abilities Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_N

Dragons have most of the moves they could need as is; Dragon Claw is reliable physical, Dragon Pulse is reliable special, and then Outrage and Draco Meteor are the power options.

Most types are getting into this with the continual wide distribution granted by TMs and tutors; it should be noted that Gen VI had fewer new moves introduced than any other generation. If anything, I wouldn't be surprised if Gen VII broke that record.

Gen 6 also had a lot of just...weird, moves.

Rototiller
Electrify
Not to be confused with Ion Deluge
Baby-Doll Eyes
Aromatic Mist
Magnetic Flux
Crafty Shield

Like just a ton of moves with limited distribution with weird niche effects. I didn't even know Magnetic Flux existed until I looked it up, it's only learnt by 4 pokemon and only affects pokemon with the Plus or Minus ability. Inexplicably, 2 of the pokemon that learn it can't even have the plus or minus ability, and neither Plusle or Minun can learn the move
And a lot of the other new moves are exclusive to one pokemon (or one specific line). Klefki has two unique moves

Last edited:

Bus

I see a lot of people saying Wishiwashi's school form looks like a Whale..am I the only one who thought 'submarine' upon seeing it? Not that it really matters, its incredible epic regardless. I was just curious if anyone else thought it looked like a submarine.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
Gen 6 also had a lot of just...weird, moves.

Rototiller
Electrify
Not to be confused with Ion Deluge
Baby-Doll Eyes
Aromatic Mist
Magnetic Flux
Crafty Shield

Like just a ton of moves with limited distribution with weird niche effects. I didn't even know Magnetic Flux existed until I looked it up, it's only learnt by 4 pokemon and only affects pokemon with the Plus or Minus ability. Inexplicably, 2 of the pokemon that learn it can't even have the plus or minus ability, and neither Plusle or Minun can learn the move
And a lot of the other new moves are exclusive to one pokemon (or one specific line). Klefki has two unique moves

And don't forget:

Belch
Flower Shield
Topsy-Turvy
Powder

Gen 6 was a bit on the odd side, that's true, but let's face facts here. Most Types already had the moves they needed, so they had to get creative with some of the moves they introduced.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
I see a lot of people saying Wishiwashi's school form looks like a Whale..am I the only one who thought 'submarine' upon seeing it? Not that it really matters, its incredible epic regardless. I was just curious if anyone else thought it looked like a submarine.
Yeah, I got more of a submarine vibe as well. TBH I thought that was the general conscience, I'm just hearing about the whale thing now.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
And don't forget:

Belch
Flower Shield
Topsy-Turvy
Powder

Gen 6 was a bit on the odd side, that's true, but let's face facts here. Most Types already had the moves they needed, so they had to get creative with some of the moves they introduced.

Belch actually has a much larger distribution than the others though.

I can see some of the new Pokemon getting those older moves. Like Comfey with Flower Shield and Aromatic Mist, Morelull with Powder and Aromatic Mist, and possibly Mimikyu with Crafty Shield.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
Belch actually has a much larger distribution than the others though.

I can see some of the new Pokemon getting those older moves. Like Comfey with Flower Shield and Aromatic Mist, Morelull with Powder and Aromatic Mist, and possibly Mimikyu with Crafty Shield.

Yeah, I know, but It's still an odd, niche move in terms of how it functions. And I want Mimikyu to get Crafty Shield as well, just because the idea of it holding up patchy handmade shield to protect its friends is freaking adorable. As for Powder on Morelull, I'm not too sure, given that its Japanese name is "Dust" and it is available exclusively on a Bug-Type (Vivillon) at the moment.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Yeah, I know, but It's still an odd, niche move in terms of how it functions. And I want Mimikyu to get Crafty Shield as well, just because the idea of it holding up patchy handmade shield to protect its friends is freaking adorable. As for Powder on Morelull, I'm not too sure, given that its Japanese name is "Dust" and it is available exclusively on a Bug-Type (Vivillon) at the moment.

Yeah Belch is an odd, niche move, but it does have a large distribution, which IMO makes it easier to remember than say Ion Deluge or Magnetic Flux.

True, but we've had what seemed to be a specific type exclusive move spread out to other types.

Like, it wouldn't surprise me if Oricorio got Quiver Dance. An almost completely bug-type specific move.

R_N

And don't forget:

Belch
Flower Shield
Topsy-Turvy
Powder

sure but it's just weird when they get so specific to the point that no one will really use them
And then on top of that, barely anyone got them and the ones that did probably never will

Erron Black

The Outlaw
We've only seen two somewhat promising moves that aren't exclusives right now, being Solar Blade and Highhorse Power.

However--

Solar Blade is a physical Solarbeam, very situational use in terms of competitive battling, and not too many physical grass type Pokemon around, hence why Petal Blizzard(Yet another easily forgotten gen 6 move) doesn't see any use at all.

Highhorse power could very well be Mudsdale exclusive, but if not, the only other Pokemon that could likely learn it are Rapidash and Zebstrika.

Inconspicuosaurus

Bone-ified dinosaur
Imagine what happens if Groudon had Solar Blade? It would make use of it's attack stat with that kind of move.
I was going to say no, because you'd have to get rid of the Red Orb in favour of a Power Herb to make good use of it, but then I realised that I was derping hard, because it will almost certainly skip the charge turn in Sunny Day or Desolate Land conditions, just like Solar Beam. In that case, it could be a very good counter to Kyogre, and all the tanky Ground and Water types that occasionally ruin P-don's day.

Bus

I was going to say no, because you'd have to get rid of the Red Orb in favour of a Power Herb to make good use of it, but then I realised that I was derping hard, because it will almost certainly skip the charge turn in Sunny Day or Desolate Land conditions, just like Solar Beam. In that case, it could be a very good counter to Kyogre, and all the tanky Ground and Water types that occasionally ruin P-don's day.

That just seems mean lol. Desolate Land by itself already acts as a counter to Kyogre, pretty much. It would almost be cruel to give it that crazy Solar blade move.

On a side note (slightly related). Anybody play the Disgaea games? Solar Blade looks a lot like Dimensional Blade; its what made me think of it. Having a huge beam blade crash down from the sky is nothing new (Im pretty sure Squall from FF 8 has a finisher limit like that as well), but it just made me think of Dimension Blade as well (mostly due to the green energy coloration).

League

Master Abra Catcher
That just seems mean lol. Desolate Land by itself already acts as a counter to Kyogre, pretty much. It would almost be cruel to give it that crazy Solar blade move.

On a side note (slightly related). Anybody play the Disgaea games? Solar Blade looks a lot like Dimensional Blade; its what made me think of it. Having a huge beam blade crash down from the sky is nothing new (Im pretty sure Squall from FF 8 has a finisher limit like that as well), but it just made me think of Dimension Blade as well (mostly due to the green energy coloration).
Both pokes can counter the other if they are of like form, it mostly just depends on who laughs last. Sure, PR-Groudon can be immune to two of Kyogre's common moves (X Water-type move and Thunder) on the switch, but PR-Kyogre threatens PR-Groudon with a 9x-damage Water move when it jumps into battle where Groudon's most threatening move is Solar Beam which uses its lower attack stat and Kyogre's higher defense stat.

Inconspicuosaurus

Bone-ified dinosaur
Both pokes can counter the other if they are of like form, it mostly just depends on who laughs last. Sure, PR-Groudon can be immune to two of Kyogre's common moves (X Water-type move and Thunder) on the switch, but PR-Kyogre threatens PR-Groudon with a 9x-damage Water move when it jumps into battle where Groudon's most threatening move is Solar Beam which uses its lower attack stat and Kyogre's higher defense stat.
It is true that whoever's ability activates last is dominant, but your last sentence is not relevant because we are talking about Solar Blade, which uses Groudon's higher offensive stat and Kyogre's lower defensive stat, and so at least equals the playing field. Whereas previously Kyogre in PS could wreck Groudon with STAB moves, Groudon's STABs were weak against Kyogre, even in DL. Now he will likely have a (granted non-STAB) physical move that absolutely shreds it.
Unless... I have completely misunderstood you and you were making the same point as me by saying that as things stand now, P-don only has the much weaker (for many reasons) Solar Beam, and so Bus' point about it not much difference is not true.

League

Master Abra Catcher

It is true that whoever's ability activates last is dominant, but your last sentence is not relevant because we are talking about Solar Blade, which uses Groudon's higher offensive stat and Kyogre's lower defensive stat, and so at least equals the playing field. Whereas previously Kyogre in PS could wreck Groudon with STAB moves, Groudon's STABs were weak against Kyogre, even in DL. Now he will likely have a (granted non-STAB) physical move that absolutely shreds it.
Unless... I have completely misunderstood you and you were making the same point as me by saying that as things stand now, P-don only has the much weaker (for many reasons) Solar Beam, and so Bus' point about it not much difference is not true.
I was going off of Bus' usage of the word "already", so, yeah, Solar Blade's relevance is irrelevant to the current discussion. (Naturally the revealed move would benefit Groudon/PR-Groudon and particularly so against like-Kyogres if indeed Groudon received the move.) I was only saying that, when either Groudon or PR-Groudon comes in on its respective Kyogre counterpart, it doesn't per se directly threaten it like is the opposite case.

I was challenging the initial point that Desolate Land "counters" Kyogre. In a sense, yes it does, because PR-Groudon does counter standard Kyogre hard in nullifying Thunder and X Water-type attack, but, like-to-like (which may yet not be fair as people are likelier to use standard Kyogre than standard Groudon, or which may be fair for precisely that reason, it's hard to say), it's triggering the ability second that matters (usually, as while Kyogre can threaten Groudon upon switch in it fears coming in on a STAB Precipice Blades more).

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
From Gamescom:

Mimikyu- Shadow Sneak

Litten- Fire Fang(previously shown)

Popplio- Bubble Beam

Turtonator Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFWLoyZESAc

Torkoal- Rapid Spin

Turtonator: Shell Trap, Dragon Pulse, Eruption(?) Explosion(new animation).

Edit: I'd be happy if someone uploaded the battle itself, so we can add the moves showcased there fully.

Edit 2: Fixed Tutonator's attack. I thought it was Eruption because Carracosta was in flames after the move, but apparently that's a feature of Explosion's XY animation.

Last edited:

slowkingsley

From Gamescom:

Mimikyu- Shadow Sneak

Litten- Fire Fang(previously shown)

Popplio- Bubble Beam

Turtonator Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFWLoyZESAc

Torkoal- Rapid Spin

Turtonator: Shell Trap, Dragon Pulse, Eruption(?)

Edit: I'd be happy if someone uploaded the battle itself, so we can add the moves showcased there fully.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljzXRJuIQho

The other moves shown in the battle are

Pikachu
Slam
Electroball
Spark
Thunder Wave
& Normal Type z-move

Mimikyu
Shadow Sneak
Feint Attack

Togedemaru
Tackle
Discharge
Spark

Komala
Slam
Swallow
Rapid Spin

Rockruff
Tackle
Stealth Rock
Rock Tomb
Bite

R_N

If Komala gets Swallow then it also gets Stockpile, which is always nice, and probably gets Spit Up

LockFelino

Sparkling Noodleboi
The Normal type Z-Move was hilarious to me, just Pikachu flying head first into a Rowlet at mach speeds.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
So, exactly how strong are some of these Z-Moves? Pikachu and Rowlet were both the same level (I think), but Rowlet only got depleted to around half damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.