• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Moves & Abilities Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aetius

Yungoos' ability is just there to punish mid-battle switches. LOL
Imagine if it could learn Pursuit and become a Normal/Dark Pokèmon....pure bliss!

TheEliteEmpoleon

I'm really liking Stakeout. With good coverage Yungoos and its evolution(s) could definitely force some switches that just lead to kos. I think it could see some good use in competitive, especially if more pokémon get it.

The OP has been updated with Stakeout and ability listings for Pikipek, Yungoos and Grubbin.

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
Stakeout is perfect for punishing people using Choice Pokemon. Force the switch out and watch the magic happen.

Soul Heart's ability kinda sticks out to me:

"Whenever another Pokémon faints on the battlefield, Magearna's Special Attack raises."

They didn't specify whether Magearna has to be the one to knock it out. Maybe there's a doubles strat for this with Explosion and Memento partners?

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
All Stakeout needs to do is be given to good Pokémon (not stuff like new region Ratatta) and it'll be easily one of the best new abilities.

U-Turn and Volt Switch be dammed.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Stakeout is perfect for punishing people using Choice Pokemon. Force the switch out and watch the magic happen.

Soul Heart's ability kinda sticks out to me:

"Whenever another Pokémon faints on the battlefield, Magearna's Special Attack raises."

They didn't specify whether Magearna has to be the one to knock it out. Maybe there's a doubles strat for this with Explosion and Memento partners?

also seems like she'll be devastating in the rumble battles. Every time a pokemon gets knocked out? A bulky magearna will probably do well.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
Stakeout sounds interesting, but it sounds like it'd be a better ability for the Patrat line...

XXD17

Draco rex
So let me get this straight. Soul-heart is basically a special moxie, but is also activated by any other 'mon fainting whether it be from magearna or not?

TheEliteEmpoleon

So let me get this straight. Soul-heart is basically a special moxie, but is also activated by any other 'mon fainting whether it be from magearna or not?

Yes, that appears to be what it does. Actually the best explanation I've heard of it all day.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Here's an idea that simply felt nice to write down.

Name: Hammer Peck
Type: Flying
PP: 10
Category: Physical
Power: 25
Accuracy: 100
Effect: The target is hit 2-5 times by rapid hammering strikes of a hard beak.

Basically a Flying type version of Icicle Spear tailored for Pikipek. Not at all inventive, but definitely a useful move for it.

Here's an idea that simply felt nice to write down.

Name: Hammer Peck
Type: Flying
PP: 10
Category: Physical
Power: 25
Accuracy: 100
Effect: The target is hit 2-5 times by rapid hammering strikes of a hard beak.

Basically a Flying type version of Icicle Spear tailored for Pikipek. Not at all inventive, but definitely a useful move for it.

Ugh, stop.

Hammer time :p

Love this concept though, IDK why but multi-hit Flying move seems well overdue IMO 'w'

Seeing as they more emphasis on the GUI, I'd like to see abilities that screw it up. Like 'this Pokémon lets out a weird signal that stops electronics from monitoring its current condition', which would stop you from checking up on its stats in-battle. It'd be really, really niche, but it'd be... Different, for sure.

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
Yeah, they're not going to give Slaking any Hidden Ability because pretty much every single ability makes Slaking OP, especially one where it becomes immune to nearly all forms of status.

Although for a Mega Slaking 'w'

Also, random question, but would you guys like me to put a list of what abilities and moves the New Pokemon (and new abilities and moves old Pokémon have) on the OP? I was thinking it'd be a useful resource rather than bouncing through the forums and other places on the web to find out one little fact! ^_^

Yeah but Slaking is absolutely awful though, in the lowest possible tiers competitively.

Do you reckon Slaking would become Uber if it had the Definite Sleep ability?

It's not about the metagame, it's the in-game that Game Freak obviously prioritizes. Traunt-less Slaking would be extremely powerful (it has higher stats than most most legends) and goes against its theme in the first place.

Did anyone catch the name of Zygarde's new moves and ability?

I give Slaking's base stats a double check. It is at 670 whereas most would be either at 600 or 700 and above. So the reason why everyone find this thing scary should its truant be replaced is because its base stats already carry it to OU standards? Am I getting it right? Slaking with any other ability except truant = disaster. But how about in the case of Archeops ad Regigigas? I mean their abilities are terrible too. It just hapens that the latter two are manageable?

From what I'm getting, if this thing (Slaking) gets another crappy competitive ability like Pickup, it will still be too strong. Am I getting the message correct?

Psychic69

I would kind of rather a Mega Slaking with that ability, just conceptually. But I don't see why it's out of the question as a normal HA, we've certainly had Pokemon be given much better and more fitting hidden abilities than their standard abilities, like Ditto and Kecleon for example, or most of the starters.

TheEliteEmpoleon

I give Slaking's base stats a double check. It is at 670 whereas most would be either at 600 or 700 and above. So the reason why everyone find this thing scary should its truant be replaced is because its base stats already carry it to OU standards? Am I getting it right? Slaking with any other ability except truant = disaster. But how about in the case of Archeops ad Regigigas? I mean their abilities are terrible too. It just hapens that the latter two are manageable?

From what I'm getting, if this thing (Slaking) gets another crappy competitive ability like Pickup, it will still be too strong. Am I getting the message correct?

Yeah, pretty much. Slaking is only banished to lower tiers because it effectively gets to move once for every two moves the opponent makes, thanks to Truant. It does have some pretty good stats though, so if it had an ability that benefitted it in some way, I'd say even something like Scrappy, it would no doubt be used a lot.

Zaide

I realized that too.
Very good against faster, u-turn/volt switch users, but...
If there's a Pokémon that gets both Stakeout and U-turn/Volt Switch/new move with similar effect, and that gets stab on top of it, this could be devastating when making the right prediction, ie. predicting your opponent switches out, and you using u-turn/volt switch/new move to damage the switched in pokémon heavily, as well as gaining back momentum (assuming you don't kill it with that massive damage output!).

I really, really like this ability, and for some reason I like to call it a "reverse pursuit", because it punishes the incoming pokémon rather than the one switching out, and it can also force a trap in certain situation.

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
Yeah, pretty much. Slaking is only banished to lower tiers because it effectively gets to move once for every two moves the opponent makes, thanks to Truant. It does have some pretty good stats though, so if it had an ability that benefitted it in some way, I'd say even something like Scrappy, it would no doubt be used a lot.

Say Slaking gets a Hidden ability like that scrappy so that Truant can be dumped for good. Would just the base stats be so good in OU that it will get banned? I always struggle to understand the great fear of this pokemon once Truant gets replaced or Slaking obtains a new hidden ability.

Say Slaking gets a Hidden ability like that scrappy so that Truant can be dumped for good. Would just the base stats be so good in OU that it will get banned? I always struggle to understand the great fear of this pokemon once Truant gets replaced or Slaking obtains a new hidden ability.

Slaking isn't getting a new ability (at least, one that isn't completely beneficial) for two reasons:

1) It's a normal Pokémon with stats higher than most Legends and Megas.
2) It goes against its theme of being lazy, then active, then lazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.