• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Moves & Abilities Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Slaking isn't getting a new ability (at least, one that isn't completely beneficial) for two reasons:

1) It's a normal Pokémon with stats higher than most Legends and Megas.
2) It goes against its theme of being lazy, then active, then lazy.

he really needs some sort of hidden ability that acts as truant AND infiltrator.
It'd have to have another bad side to it with the infiltrator addition but I'm not sure. PP used is doubled?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
he really needs some sort of hidden ability that acts as truant AND infiltrator.
It'd have to have another bad side to it with the infiltrator addition but I'm not sure. PP used is doubled?

Why Infiltrator? That seems a little random to me. Besides, the gimmick of Slaking is its amazing stats, but awful ability. Even giving it what you suggested would mess up that gimmick.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Why Infiltrator? That seems a little random to me. Besides, the gimmick of Slaking is its amazing stats, but awful ability. Even giving it what you suggested would mess up that gimmick.

I'm playing through my omega ruby and beat Norman using protect and then attack, over and over. I was thinking there has to be someway around this, or is this usually not even a problem for slaking?
It'd be a mix of truant and infiltrator, so like this:

The pokemon cannot use a move in the turn following one where it used a move, even if that move failed, and the protections and stat boosts caused by the moves Substitute, Reflect, Light Screen and Safeguard by the opponent are ignored, also raised PP usage of the pokemon by one.

EDIT: Wow upon reading my own comment... I realized not it's not infiltrator that I'm looking for, but something that slips through the moves like protect and detect. Not sure an ability exists that is like that.

Last edited:

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
EDIT: Wow upon reading my own comment... I realized not it's not infiltrator that I'm looking for, but something that slips through the moves like protect and detect. Not sure an ability exists that is like that.
No Guard did in DP.

But currently, there is none. I can actually see that being an ability in Sun and Moon, maybe called "Shield Breaker" or "Perfect Hit".

raichu27

I'd like to see an Ice(Glaze Kick) and an Electric version of Blaze Kick. Plus, we have a lack of Physical Electric and Physical Ice moves that can paralyze or freeze the opponent. A Poison move that's super effective against Steel types would be nice to see. A Steel damaging move that has a chance to burn an opponent would be nice to see, too.

I hope to see another Special Rock move with good base power for Pokemon like Lunatone, Omastar, and Magcargo.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
No Guard did in DP.

But currently, there is none. I can actually see that being an ability in Sun and Moon, maybe called "Shield Breaker" or "Perfect Hit".

o yeah those would be perfect. I read up on no guard and that is very interesting how they changed that up, they should have kept it how it was.
Either way, yeah a mix of truant and no guard would be very cool, but the no guard from DP before platinum!

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
Dragon's Jaw - 80 damage, 10 pp, 100 accuracy and may cause flinching. Physical attack and Dragon type move.
Dracolate - Dragon version of Aerilate and Pixilate. Ability for Dragon pokemon.
Dragon's Fiery - 70 damage, 10 pp, 100 accuracy and does super effective damage on Steel types. Physical attack and Dragon type move.

Navarch

We need more dual type moves. I'd like to see each type get one/share one, and I'd like the move to have that dual typing in it's typing list instead of saying "this move is also part flying".

To be honest, I'm surprised we haven't had a Pokémon with some weird move or ability that makes critical hits against them do less damage than a normal attack rather than a crit doing more damage than a normal attack.

goodpeople25

I don't know, have we ever had anything of that nature before? Preventing crits from activating is one thing. But actually having a near unavoidable chance that normally has a postive outcome be negative instead? (I think that was a possibility in gen 1 due to it ignoring ALL stat changes, but it was changed pretty quickly and might not have been fully intentional) Not saying it would actually be much of a balance issue, in fact it might easily be considered underpowered/not worth it in most cases. But something about it just dosen't feel right or like something they would do.

Class Zero

We have arrived.
To be honest, I'm surprised we haven't had a Pokémon with some weird move or ability that makes critical hits against them do less damage than a normal attack rather than a crit doing more damage than a normal attack.

Huh, I like it :D
An ability that has no usefulness except reversing your fortunes when you're hit with a critical hit.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
Blue Flame Blast - 80 damage, 100% accuracy and 10pp. It serves as both Fire and Dragon type attack. Belongs to Charizard.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
Blue Flame Blast - 80 damage, 100% accuracy and 10pp. It serves as both Fire and Dragon type attack. Belongs to Charizard.
Sounds like a good idea, but I'm not sure about it being a Charizard move only, given it's only a Dragon type/has blue fire during its X ME.

LoveMcQueen5683

I think there should be a move levelling up system like in the mystery dungeon games so you could some somewhat weaker but useful moves, like flame charge.

But there should probably be some caps. Like you can't go past 150. And you can only level up a move by +50 points.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I think there should be a move levelling up system like in the mystery dungeon games so you could some somewhat weaker but useful moves, like flame charge.

But there should probably be some caps. Like you can't go past 150. And you can only level up a move by +50 points.

I don't think that should be a thing at all. That functionality in Mystery Dungeon made some stuff ridiculously over-powered. It would only be worse in the main series. And this is coming from someone who normally doesn't care that much about balancing.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
So,

Cutiefly- Fairy Wind
Charjabug->Spark
Vikavolt->Thunder Wave(Eng trailer, unnamed), Zap Cannon(Jp. Trailer)
Bruxish->Psywave
Togedemaru->Discharge Strike(Jp. trailer), physical Electric move(Eng. Trailer).
Drampa->Dragon Breath.

Edit: Nature Fury hits Slowbro neutrally and Litten not very effectively, confirming that is a Fairy move, most likely the Sacred Sword for Island Deities.

Last edited:

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
So is Frenzy a "Pinch"-ability that doesn't just raise the STAB-type, but Sp.A instead? Kinda like a Pinch-Berry would? Or is it when Drampa is hit with a SE-attack (Dragon/Fairy)?

Aetius

The ugly fish will eat us all with that ability of his. XD
Jokes aside, it is a fearsome ability indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.