• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Moves & Abilities Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Last edited:

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer

Fiore1300

That is promising. It would be cool if the attack had a unique gimmick, like Eevee's. Perhaps it could deal both Water and Psychic damage, like a Z-Move equivalent to Flying Press. Or it could be a Psychic-type move that changes Psyduck into a Psychic type before executing it.

Also, it would obviously need some reference to headaches and awoken psychic power. Any ideas for names? :p

Migraine Limit-Breaker!!!!

Last edited:

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer

ninijatt

Half, ninja, half cat, all attitude
That is promising. It would be cool if the attack had a unique gimmick, like Eevee's. Perhaps it could deal both Water and Psychic damage, like a Z-Move equivalent to Flying Press. Or it could be a Psychic-type move that changes Psyduck into a Psychic type before executing it.

Also, it would obviously need some reference to headaches and awoken psychic power. Any ideas for names? :p

Migraine Limit-Breaker!!!!

That is a very cool idea to finally have Psyduck harness the power of it's headache in game. How about.... Duckstruction!

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
That is a very cool idea to finally have Psyduck harness the power of it's headache in game. How about.... Duckstruction!

If it weren't for Pikachu already using a similar pun, I'd suggest Quacktastrophe, or Webbed Feet Beatdown, or (my personal favorite) Running Afowl.

Edit: Special News Bulletin: Water Shuriken is now Special. More at 11.

Last edited:
Certain Z-Moves confirmed to vary by the original moves' base power.
That's interesting.
Gigavolt Havoc has 175BP when used through Thunderbolt.

Last edited:

R_N

That's interesting.

I wonder if it's just a flat +85 BP

That'd make Thunder break 200 which seems kind of absurd. I mean I guess you kind of need them to be really strong since you can only use one per battle...I don't know, I've never really been hot on z moves as a concept I guess.

Fiore1300

That's interesting.

Hmm. Interesting. This perhaps makes Z-Moves less useful as competitive tool. I figured in competitive they would mainly be used to give a Pokemon access to coverage they might not already have by turning a status move, like Toxic or Agility, into a strong Poison or Psychic attack. Such a strategy won't be useful in most instances anymore if you're giving up an item slot for a single-use, low Base Power attack.

R_N

Sounds like they didn't get rid of all the move descriptions, so when the dataminers are done we'll probably get a bunch of new moves. Maybe some will hint at specific pokemon. Signature moves and all.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
Hmm. Interesting. This perhaps makes Z-Moves less useful as competitive tool. I figured in competitive they would mainly be used to give a Pokemon access to coverage they might not already have by turning a status move, like Toxic or Agility, into a strong Poison or Psychic attack. Such a strategy won't be useful in most instances anymore if you're giving up an item slot for a single-use, low Base Power attack.

I always knew their usefulness would be limited in singles, but VGC players will love them, just like they did the Gems.

TyLogic

Sounds like they didn't get rid of all the move descriptions, so when the dataminers are done we'll probably get a bunch of new moves. Maybe some will hint at specific pokemon. Signature moves and all.

Yeah. I'm kind of ambivalent on this kind of thing. I really hope that this gen has more new moves than the last gen. X and Y didn't even make a new Dragon-type move. And, in my opinion, a lot of those new moves were either signature moves or extremely rare. Most moves, I didn't even know they existed for a while. At the same time, I don't want to spoil to much.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
That's interesting.

Only 175BP? I am thoroughly unimpressed. This just reinforces my position that these moves will make very little competitive impact and generally will not be worth giving up an item for.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
Only 175BP? I am thoroughly unimpressed. This just reinforces my position that these moves will make very little competitive impact and generally will not be worth giving up an item for.

I already said it, but they will make a big impact in VGC, due to the relatively short durations of the battles, just like Gems did in Gen 5.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
I already said it, but they will make a big impact in VGC, due to the relatively short durations of the battles, just like Gems did in Gen 5.

I suppose they are nearly a strict upgrade to Gems in most cases, but Gems are infamously useless in most scenarios in Singles. On the other hand Gems aren't exactly game changing, even in Doubles formats. They're not useless, but they're not exactly revolutionizing either. Kind of underwhelming for such a hyped-up new feature.

I wonder if using up a Z-Crystal will destroy the item and activate Unburden. I mean, being relegated to Unburden users is kind of shitty, but then again I'm not the one balancing new mechanics at GameFreak.

Sulfurian

So does Z moves consume the Z crystal for the duration of the battle? Just because the main use and strength of gems were they would activate moves/abilities that relied on consuming your item, like unburden and acrobatics.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
So does Z moves consume the Z crystal for the duration of the battle? Just because the main use and strength of gems were they would activate moves/abilities that relied on consuming your item, like unburden and acrobatics.

Not always in VGC, the one-time boost to a powerful STAB is often useful to guarantee certain KOs, especially in scenarios where you don't want to use a Life Orb or Choice item, perhaps due to item clause. Dragon Gem Latios comes to mind immediately.

That said I'm not a VGC player, and I don't do much Doubles play in general, so take that with a grain of salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.