• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Moves & Abilities Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inconspicuosaurus

Bone-ified dinosaur
Ok, just a couple things. First, Rattata-A and Raticate-A should definitely get Strong Jaw, but that's just my opinion.

Second, I find it odd that you give the base stage of all three starter line a different Ability than their Evos, as that is atypical (only the Tepig line changed their HA while evolving, and even then it only happened during the transition from Pignite to Emboar.)
For Alola forms, I was trying to pick something that particularly set them apart from their regular form, because otherwise they might as well have the same HA (as I did for Exeggutor and Raichu). The strong jaws that Rattata and Raticate clearly have are present across both forms, so I see no reason for the Alola form to get it when the regular one doesn't. Thus, I went for something that makes a lot of sense for Rattata's Alola form backstory, where it fetches food for Raticate, and based Raticate's on its new design.

It is atypical for starters, but it is normal for many other Pokemon's HAs. The ones I picked make perfect sense for the final and mid stages, but none make too much sense for the basic stage. Rowlet is not yet associated with projectiles, and so doesn't fit Sniper until it starts throwing darts. Litten doesn't have the physique for Sheer Force before it gets Torracat's beefy arms. And Popplio makes no reference to dancing in his dex entry, whereas the other two stages have it as a primary focus.

Fiore1300

So, I have updated my HA predictions for new Pokemon and Alola forms. This time I have included a couple of my own creations that I think would be too good to pass up.

Loving the speculation. I agree with a lot of these. Some of which I especially love (Lycanroc with Moxie and Scrappy for Crabrawler, for example)!

I do have a few disagreements though.

- Sandyghast: Arena Trap.
- Pallossand: Arena Trap.

When I first saw these Pokemon I figured it would fit right in with the ant lion and wack-a-mole families with having access to this ability. Especially with the official art of a Palossand swallowing Pikachu into a swirling vortex of sand.

- Turtonator: Ignite, which turns all Normal-type moves into Fire-type moves.

I came up with this one a little while back in a discussion about new abilities. It fits Turtonator's landmine theme, and who can NOT want a Fire-Type Explosion? Steel types traditionally absorb this powerful attack pretty well. Not to mention meddlesome ghosts! Let's make this move one to be feared again! Time to return to the grave, Aegislash.

- Alolan Sandshrew: Heatproof.
- Alolan Sandslash: Heatproof.

As someone who really loves the Sandshrew family, I was never fond of their abilities. I like including Sandslash on my team casually as a Ground-type, and the abilities the line got always made that a sub-optimal build. When Alolan Sandslash was announced I was incredibly excited, but that was tempered a bit when I saw its new ability was one again dependent on the weather. So I've switched out Ice Skater (not a bad ability - Hail teams could really use abilities like this) for Heatproof. Having two 4x weaknesses is going to be rough. Reducing Fire to a 2x weakness (the only 2x weakness Alolan Sandslash has is Ground) will help a great deal I imagine. Plus, I think it fits the whole "cold steel" kind of theme going on. And Sandslash is formerly from hot places, and used to kick all kind of Fire butt.

Last edited:

Anthea

Psychic z move is what I always wanted from a psy type. Ghost z move is beautiful. I need these two z moves on my team!

Inconspicuosaurus

Bone-ified dinosaur
Loving the speculation. I agree with a lot of these. Some of which I especially love (Lycanroc with Moxie and Scrappy for Crabrawler, for example)!

I do have a few disagreements though.

- Sandyghast: Arena Trap.
- Pallossand: Arena Trap.

When I first saw these Pokemon I figured it would fit right in with the ant lion and wack-a-mole families with having access to this ability. Especially with the official art of a Palossand swallowing Pikachu into a swirling vortex of sand.

- Turtonator: Ignite, which turns all Normal-type moves into Fire-type moves.

I came up with this one a little while back in a discussion about new abilities. It fits Turtonator's landmine theme, and who can NOT want a Fire-Type Explosion? Steel types traditionally absorb this powerful attack pretty well. Not to mention meddlesome ghosts! Let's make this move one to be feared again! Time to return to the grave, Aegislash.

- Alolan Sandshrew: Heatproof.
- Alolan Sandslash: Heatproof.

As someone who really loves the Sandshrew family, I was never fond of their abilities. I like including Sandslash on my team casually as a Ground-type, and the abilities the line got always made that a sub-optimal build. When Alolan Sandslash was announced I was incredibly excited, but that was tempered a bit when I saw its new ability was one again dependent on the weather. So I've switched out Ice Skater (not a bad ability - Hail teams could really use abilities like this) for Heatproof. Having two 4x weaknesses is going to be rough. Reducing Fire to a 2x weakness (the only 2x weakness Alolan Sandslash has is Ground) will help a great deal I imagine. Plus, I think it fits the whole "cold steel" kind of theme going on. And Sandslash is formerly from hot places, and used to kick all kind of Fire butt.
Thanks :) I had to think for a while about some of them, but Lycanroc and Crabrawler were two that just fit immediately.

Arena Trap is definitely another appropriate possibility for Sandyghast and Pallossand, so I wouldn't be surprised if that ends up being correct.

I'm all for more Pixilate/Aerilate/Refrigerate-style abilities, and I can see why a Fire-type Explosion would make a lot of sense for Turtonator, but I don't see how it would make sense for its other Normal moves to become fiery. Then again, I suppose there's not really a lore explanation for how the other abilities in that vein change the type of Normal moves, so I can live with it. I think it needs a different name though, as they seem set on continuing the -ate trend. Incinerate jumps to mind, but is already a move, so maybe not. Flagrate maybe? Although that word isn't really used outside of Harry potter lol.

Heatproof is a really interesting ability that I would like to see on other Pokemon, but I suppose it is superseded by Thick fat in most cases. A-Sandslash is Steel type, and I had always assumed that Bronzong is supposed to be "heatproof" because of its tempered metal nature, so I guess that works. Your explanation makes more sense than any I've heard for Bronzong anyway! I am biased towards Ice Skater though, as I really want more Hail-based abilities to exist. I think it would help in getting Ice to finally work.

EDIT: Bulbapedia has enlightened me wrt the origin of Heatproof. It apparently comes from a Japanese folk tale about a woman who donated a bronze mirror to be melted down into a bell, but regretted it for vain reasons, and so the mirror refused to melt in the furnace until she killed herself. Gruesome, but a pretty cool mythological origin for what previously seemed nonsensical.

Last edited:

Charmander103

Remember the Unown? Remember how super duper awesome and powerful they were in that one Pokemon movie? They created an Entei and a fortress made out of crystal! Let's give them the power they deserve with a Z-move GF. Something along the lines of summoning a horde of other Unown so they can "read" their opponent would be fantastic fro these cryptic Pokemon. I can just imagine my trainer putting on glasses for the Z-move action and reading the opponent because "The Library is Open." Hilarious.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-QDpltPSo0kU/V2wmw_ARr_I/AAAAAAAADDM/kU1k35Wpb90OELgxL8bNbmnfuo4fJiMAwCLcB/s1600/Unown_book.png

https://media.giphy.com/media/6p4Zjwmd4zizS/giphy.gif

Also While I don't think it will happen in Sun and Moon, I really hope that the Regi's and Lake Guardian's get there own special Z-moves like the Island Guardian's. Hopefully in the Diamond and Pearly remake :)

glacialcat

Remember the Unown? Remember how super duper awesome and powerful they were in that one Pokemon movie? They created an Entei and a fortress made out of crystal! Let's give them the power they deserve with a Z-move GF. Something along the lines of summoning a horde of other Unown so they can "read" their opponent would be fantastic fro these cryptic Pokemon. I can just imagine my trainer putting on glasses for the Z-move action and reading the opponent because "The Library is Open." Hilarious.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-QDpltPSo0kU/V2wmw_ARr_I/AAAAAAAADDM/kU1k35Wpb90OELgxL8bNbmnfuo4fJiMAwCLcB/s1600/Unown_book.png

https://media.giphy.com/media/6p4Zjwmd4zizS/giphy.gif

Also While I don't think it will happen in Sun and Moon, I really hope that the Regi's and Lake Guardian's get there own special Z-moves like the Island Guardian's. Hopefully in the Diamond and Pearly remake :)

I'm trying to imagine a Z-Move strong enough to justify using an Unown... I'm not even sure a guaranteed 1HKO would be worth it considering that's basically just bringing the match down 5 to 5. Maybe like... an Extreme Evoboost that automatically Baton Passes.

Still you're right, it does seem fitting to give Unown a signature Z-move to justify it's status in mythology.

Sakuraba

I'm trying to imagine a Z-Move strong enough to justify using an Unown... I'm not even sure a guaranteed 1HKO would be worth it considering that's basically just bringing the match down 5 to 5. Maybe like... an Extreme Evoboost that automatically Baton Passes.

Still you're right, it does seem fitting to give Unown a signature Z-move to justify it's status in mythology.

I feel Unown fit their role in mythology pretty well.

For them to impress or showcase their real power, I think an event would be better. Something akin to a side-quest with similar occurences to the Third movie. That or an Unown School form, that'd be pretty amusing to see.

Talking about a Unown Z-Move.... That brings up a question: How does Z-Moves interact with Hidden Power? It's classified as a Normal-Type move, so I'll activate the Normal-type Z-Move, but it's damage varies in typing. Will it ignore it as well and just do the regular "add 100 Base Power" and go? Or will it adjust to the moves real damage?

Last edited:

Fiore1300

I think it needs a different name though, as they seem set on continuing the -ate trend.

What about...BURNINATE

Eh. I apologize for the old internet reference.

I'm trying to imagine a Z-Move strong enough to justify using an Unown...

How does Z-Moves interact with Hidden Power?

Unown Z-Move:

The Ruin of Alph

140 BP

The Ruin of Alph is a dual-type attack. The primary type is based on your Hidden Power type. The second type is randomly selected from all the other types except Hidden Power's current typing.

Animation: The Player Character performs the Z-Move dance for the randomly chosen secondary type. A huge portal opens above the battlefield as Unown stream through. Your Unown rises up, and the recent arrivals begin to revolve around your Unown, following variously shaped paths. Suddenly, you realize they spell out DOOM, where the O's are interlocked with your Unown in the middle. Every other Unown sends a beam of energy into your Unown, causing them to glow with Z-Power! At the climax of the attack, your Unown fires a giant laser down at the battlefield, dragging it across the terrain and forming a Z (sorta like Core Enforcer). Everything explodes.

Last edited:

Fairy Queen

Lover of the Fairy type
Unown def needs to get something, they were hyped up so much!

Also, Popplio gets Aqua Jet? So not only does it get an amazing type combo, but now it gets a priority move...oh boy.

glacialcat

What about...BURNINATE

Unown Z-Move:

The Ruin of Alph

140 BP

The Ruin of Alph is a dual-type attack. The primary type is based on your Hidden Power type. The second type is randomly selected from all the other types except Hidden Power's current typing.

Animation: The Player Character performs the Z-Move dance for the randomly chosen secondary type. A huge portal opens above the battlefield as Unown stream through. Your Unown rises up, and the recent arrivals begin to revolve around your Unown, following variously shaped paths. Suddenly, you realize they spell out DOOM, where the O's are interlocked with your Unown in the middle. Every other Unown sends a beam of energy into your Unown, causing them to glow with Z-Power! At the climax of the attack, your Unown fires a giant laser down at the battlefield, dragging it across the terrain and forming a Z (sorta like Core Enforcer). Everything explodes.

Great idea for an animation... but that power, Unown will need a lot more than 140 BP to get anywhere!

That isn't even enough to OHKO an Assault Vest Conkeldur unless the secondary typing happens to be fairy or flying! If it was supposed to take down something that wasn't weak to it.. it'd need to be like 280 BP (that would one hit KO a standard garchomp 50% of the time). Now... maybe if the second typing wasn't random, but always selected something your opponent was weak to... that could be interesting.

It's still Unown, so once it fires that off it's nearly useless, but that would be a heck of a nuke.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
Unown def needs to get something, they were hyped up so much!

Also, Popplio gets Aqua Jet? So not only does it get an amazing type combo, but now it gets a priority move...oh boy.

Yeah, but it won't get much play on Primarina, since it's shaping up to be bulky and Special. It'll be like how Aqua Jet Empoleon is rather rare.

Inconspicuosaurus

Bone-ified dinosaur
I feel Unown fit their role in mythology pretty well.

For them to impress or showcase their real power, I think an event would be better. Something akin to a side-quest with similar occurences to the Third movie. That or an Unown School form, that'd be pretty amusing to see.

Talking about a Unown Z-Move.... That brings up a question: How does Z-Moves interact with Hidden Power? It's classified as a Normal-Type move, so I'll activate the Normal-type Z-Move, but it's damage varies in typing. Will it ignore it as well and just do the regular "add 100 Base Power" and go? Or will it adjust to the moves real damage?
I would love love love love an Unown School form. That would be amazing! They would have to allow Unown access to some more moves though, as with it being an in-battle form change, it wouldn't really be possible for it to have a different movepool.

What about...BURNINATE

Unown Z-Move:

The Ruin of Alph

140 BP

Hahaha, yes! That would be the perfect name. :D Getting a Turtonator and calling it Trogdor now, even if Druddigon probably looks the most like him (those beefy arms).

Also, that's an awesome idea for the Z-Move. I like the touch that they literally spell "DOOM" for your opponent XD

raichu27

Is anyone else here disappointed that TM28 got replaced with Leech Life? I know I am. Plus, I think Dig makes a great coverage move. I'd like to see that move return back as its' original TM or a Move Tutor move on the next Gen. 7 game.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
Is anyone else here disappointed that TM28 got replaced with Leech Life? I know I am. Plus, I think Dig makes a great coverage move. I'd like to see that move return back as its' original TM or a Move Tutor move on the next Gen. 7 game.
I would've been, if it weren't for the fact that Leech Life got a major buff.

Orphalesion

I would love love love love an Unown School form. That would be amazing! They would have to allow Unown access to some more moves though, as with it being an in-battle form change, it wouldn't really be possible for it to have a different movepool.

An Unown school form based of the Nazca lines maybe? It'd be cool.

Still keeping my fingers crossed that there is still hope for Growlithe to get fire lash. Since its breedable with heatmor and it's not transferable to sun and moon until January. Will mega p##### with Nintendo if it doesn't get this move with move tutors were inches game. Well I can hope for a another set of games this gen that unlocks for moves for pokemon like what happened for x and y to oras. Part from that Sin and Moonare very promising.

Atome

Snowy Poochyena
Not sure if this is the place to ask but can the fletchling in Sun and Moon ONLY have big pecs? I've caught nearly 15 of the suckers looking for a Flame Body one and...they all have Big Pecks. OTL

Grey Wind

Not sure if this is the place to ask but can the fletchling in Sun and Moon ONLY have big pecs? I've caught nearly 15 of the suckers looking for a Flame Body one and...they all have Big Pecks. OTL

Hahaha. No Fletchling can have Flame Body, it's not one of its abilities. Evolve it if you want Flame Body.

Atome

Snowy Poochyena
Hahaha. No Fletchling can have Flame Body, it's not one of its abilities. Evolve it if you want Flame Body.

Omg then why did it get recommended to me sdfjsd they didn't even tell me to evolve it. Next time I'm asking google instead of skype.

Status
Not open for further replies.