• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Moves & Abilities Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Game2016

@pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
Dark-type Z-Move is a black hole. How are "fighting dirty" extremists going to explain this?

I've seen someone make a good point. Physical Dark moves are based on dirty tactics, while special ones are based on literal darkness and black magic.

Blizzardy

Loves Eeveelutions
Do any of the new pokemon have a non-damaging move or ability to prevent wild pokemon from fleeing?
I have had no luck finding one so far.

White8025

Does anyone know how to get keen eye for midday lycanroc? Is there's a certain ability rockruff needs to have to evolve it with keen eye?

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
Does anyone know how to get keen eye for midday lycanroc? Is there's a certain ability rockruff needs to have to evolve it with keen eye?

Rockruff with Keen Eye will retain the ability when they evolve into either Lycanroc form. It's only Rockruff with Vital Spirit that become Sand Rush Midday Lycanroc, while Midnight Lycanroc keeps Vital Spirit.

ebevan91

So many bad movepools for new Pokemon this gen. Some of the Pokemon I want to use don't even learn an attack over 40/50 BP that fits their type until late in the game.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
So many bad movepools for new Pokemon this gen. Some of the Pokemon I want to use don't even learn an attack over 40/50 BP that fits their type until late in the game.

I know right?
I had to go get a TM for Goliosod as he's seemingly never wanting to learn a Water move himself.

raichu27

Is anyone else disappointed that Darkrai's Dark Void got decreased too low for accuracy? I'm surprised it went way down, plus Hypnosis already has low accuracy.

Nimajneb

I bred some Rockruff using one with Vital Spirit and a few came out with Keen Eye. I decided to raise one of those and when it evolved it kept the Keen Eye ability.

Azery

What is Mareanie's ability, out of curiosity?

Merciless. This Pokemon will always score a crit against a poisoned target.
Their signature move is Baneful Bunker, a poison type version of spiky shield/king's shield, that poisons targets that make contact.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I'm not sure where else to put it, but I saw a wild Golduck use Psych Up, and it sounds remarkably like a Generation I attack. That is, it sounds really familiar but I can't put my finger on which one it is. It's distorted and with additional sounds placed on top of it, but there is what is unmistakably a Game Boy era Pokémon sound effect within it. Can anyone identify which one it is? (Is it the Psych Up noise as originally heard in Gold and Silver?)

Last edited:

willprogresivo

Creepy Uncle
I'm fairly happy with the exclusive new moves and abilities this gen. My Sun team had quite a few. Queenly Majesty, Corrosion, Berserk and Stamina. All amazing abilities. And new moves like Trop Kick, High Horsepower, Accelerock, Sparking Aria/Oceanic Operetta.

I also have a back-up team planned, either for a Moon playthru or the rumoured Stars which also has several new exclusives that I really wanted to use. Mimikyu with Disguise, Toucannon with Beak Blast, Toxapex with Merciless and Baneful Bunker, Togedemaru with Zing Zap and Exeggutor with Dragon Hammer.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I was actually surprised when I heard that Zing Zap (Togedemaru's signature move) was actually a real move. With a name like that, I thought it was just some wacky catch phrase the writers made up for the anime

Rio!

Composer
I suppose it was because I was fortunate, but I have noticed quite a few others seem...lackluster especially in the variance department (I suppose this is just the norm with starter gen games but still).

Lycanroc is a need concept, but its evolution split as far as stats/movepools/ability just bothers me.
I was under the initial impression that it was simply aesthetic between two versions, then I noticed the lack of Accelrock on Midnight, and took a proper look at its stats. Just. Why. The defense/speed swap seems unwarranted, especially when there isn't an additional type split.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
I'm surprised by how many new attacks were made just for old pokemon. Like Ariados getting a new move just for it, Typhlosion's line and Growlithe's line and Moltres getting the burn up move is awesome, and like firelash or whatever by FireAnteater... it's weird how they're doing that, but I love it. Can't wait to try burn up on a typhlosion lol.

Kataphrut

Is Beak Blast for real? A flying-type Focus Punch except getting hit doesn't flinch you out of it and the opponent gets burned if they try? I just one-shot Totem Lurantis on the first turn with it.

Mikazuki Marazhu

of the Furry Fandom
I'm surprised by how many new attacks were made just for old pokemon. Like Ariados getting a new move just for it, Typhlosion's line and Growlithe's line and Moltres getting the burn up move is awesome, and like firelash or whatever by FireAnteater... it's weird how they're doing that, but I love it. Can't wait to try burn up on a typhlosion lol.

Burn up really sounds nice but one has to wonder if investing EV on SpA on Arcanine is logical. A current problem I have with my boyfriends arcanine
we're thinking Jolly Arcanine, Intimidate, Life Orb, 252 ATK/252 Spe/4 SpA, Burn Up, Close Combat, Wild Charge, Extreme Speed

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I was thinking about this recently. When it comes to new moves and abilities introduced in Sun and Moon there's a good and bad side. I absolutely love how essentially every evolution line gets at least one signature move and/or ability. At the same time, because of this, almost no new moves and abilities were given to old Pokemon. There were a few minor exceptions, but for the most part even the more generic new moves introduced like Leafage and Liquidation were only given to Alola Pokemon. Even with the three new TMs introduced, two of them cannot be learned via level-up by any Pokemohn (Smart Strike and Aurora Veil) while also being taught to only limited number of Pokemon via TM. It's a bit of a shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.