• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Moves Discussion & Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Well aside from the big three legendaries other people said, I'm sure Marshadow probably has a new move.
Mimikyu's almost getting something new for certain if we get its true forme.

...I do hope we finally get Eternal Floetta soon though

Luthor

I do expect quite a few more species specific Z-moves. It's an easy way to make a species not getting a new form have some new usage and something for the new regional forms.

utlhmsus

A move I'd like to see implemented would be like the following:

Type: Rock (physical)
Power: 80
Accuracy: 100
Additional Effect: 10% chance of paralysis

I would call it Rock Slide but that's already taken. Basically a move where rocks fall onto the opponent and have a chance of paralyzing them. It would finally give Rock a physical move with 100% accuracy and a base power higher than FIFTY, and it would allow slow rock types to get a leg up on their opponent in terms of speed if they are able to paralyze them.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Anyone have a clue on what kinds of moves we might get from the Move Tutors? I'm expecting similar ones to previous generations like Earth Power, but also some new moves. I wonder if we might get Solar Blade as a Move Tutor move, there are several pokémon like Leafeon and Victreebell that could make use of it.

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
Baltoy/Claydol should get Psywave some how. The line's biggest issues are lack of recovery and offense, but at least Psywave circumvents one of those to a degree. Ideally, something like Recover or Shore Up would make their way over to the movepools as well. So much wasted potential.

R_N

Baltoy/Claydol should get Psywave some how. The line's biggest issues are lack of recovery and offense, but at least Psywave circumvents one of those to a degree. Ideally, something like Recover or Shore Up would make their way over to the movepools as well. So much wasted potential.

Psywave...?
In the upper level attacks it gets the elusive Extrasensory, Psyshock & Psychic all of which are much more reliable than Psywave (for in-game use it is 100% useless because at level 60 it only reaches psychic's power at best and for level 50 battles it should never be used)

Recover, though, would help a bunch yeah.

So UB Burst seemingly getting a signature move kind of makes me want all the UBs to get a signature move (cut doesn't count, kartana). Sadly probably not in the cards, considering Assembly was showcased with Iron Defense, but it'd be fun. Nihilego, if only for being the most relevant of the 7, should really have gotten one I feel? It's entire shtick is being a parasite and empowering others, but neither of these are really reflected. It gets the Guard/Power Split but those aren't quite what I was thinking. A unique variant of Swagger maybe.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
Psywave...?
In the upper level attacks it gets the elusive Extrasensory, Psyshock & Psychic all of which are much more reliable than Psywave (for in-game use it is 100% useless because at level 60 it only reaches psychic's power at best and for level 50 battles it should never be used)

So UB Burst seemingly getting a signature move kind of makes me want all the UBs to get a signature move (cut doesn't count, kartana). Sadly probably not in the cards, considering Assembly was showcased with Iron Defense, but it'd be fun. Nihilego, if only for being the most relevant of the 7, should really have gotten one I feel? It's entire shtick is being a parasite and empowering others, but neither of these are really reflected. It gets the Guard/Power Split but those aren't quite what I was thinking. A unique variant of Swagger maybe.

Psywave doesn't work that way. It doesn't have a Base Power, but instead deals fixed damage ranging from 0.5 to 1.5 x the user's level. For example, at Level 50 it deals anywhere from 25 to 75 damage. It cannot be super effective or resisted, but Dark-Types are still immune to it. Basically, its a less reliable Night Shade/Seismic Toss.

I think the reason they brought it up is because it doesn't rely on high offenses to deal damage, but you're still right about it being pointless. Psywave is just plain awful.

On the UB front, it would be cool to see Nihilego get some crazy neurotoxin move. Going off of the Swagger variant idea, I could see it being a Swagger/Flatter hybrid, sharply raising both offenses. That would give Nihilego some serious utility alongside Tapu Lele or Own Tempo Mons in Doubles.

And finally, of course Cut counts! It sucks, but it counts. (Seriously though, Cut should have gotten a severe buff after losing its HM status, just like Defog eventually got.)

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
Psywave because there's options for going Bold/Calm and Claydol is primarily used for SR and Rapid Spin support. So the rest of it's moveset is either Earthquake/Power, and filler which in this case would be excellent for Recover/Shore Up/Psywave. Only having a ground move is complete suicide, Toxic is the best alternative most of the time. Remember, Psywave deals between 50 to 150 HP, which is more than what a lot of it's other counterparts would deal, and CM is pointless on something so low in special attack, plus that's not how Claydol functions. It also isn't staying in forever, Baltoy/Claydol have a major uphill battle these days. :/

(Fingers crossed for Shore Up.)

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
(Fingers crossed for Shore Up.)

On Claydol? Even ignoring the fact that's Palossand's signature move, that doesn't really make much sense. The move is meant to represent Palossand gathering more sand to make itself bigger, as it's a sand castle. Claydol is made of clay, not sand, and it doesn't have a design trait where it gathers more material to grow larger, like Palossand.

Lykouros

Sandslash fan
On Claydol? Even ignoring the fact that's Palossand's signature move, that doesn't really make much sense. The move is meant to represent Palossand gathering more sand to make itself bigger, as it's a sand castle. Claydol is made of clay, not sand, and it doesn't have a design trait where it gathers more material to grow larger, like Palossand.

Shore Up can also refer to simply filling in a hole or gap, which could be a fit for Claydol and a few other Pokémon who have been stated to be made of mud/clay/rock.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Shore Up can also refer to simply filling in a hole or gap, which could be a fit for Claydol and a few other Pokémon who have been stated to be made of mud/clay/rock.

The term shore up could literally refer to that, but we're not dealing with the literal term. It was meant to be a pun on gathering sand from the shore to shore up. Also, the Japanese name is literally Sand Gather, which rules out mud, clay, and rock.

Fairy Queen

Lover of the Fairy type
Photon Geyser is a very cool move. Necrozma can use it, and the move itself does damage based on attack or special attack, whichever of Necrozma's is higher. This is cool because it will benefit from it in any form it is in (Solgaleo-Attack and Lunala-Special Attack).

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
I’m going to be selfish here and offer up what I think would be a killer move for Assembly: Thousand Eyes. Clearly this thing can surround other Pokémon and it’s got eyes. It is canonically proven fact that eyes fire laser beams in pop culture, so UB: Assembly should have a laser beam move similar to an Iron Maiden where it drops down over an enemy and fires laser beams out it’s eyes simultaneously from every angle. BLUE laser beams. Always lowers special defense, and Rock-type specially based, 100% acc. Glorious.

Really still wish GF would reconsider Rock/Ghost. Rock/Steel is so played out.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Photon Geyser does what the Kyurem forms couldn't, and that's giving Necrozma and it's forms a move that doesn't favor either of them and will always deal maximum damage. Ice Burn and Freeze Shock just weren't good enough to really impact either forms, and is one of the major reasons Kyurem-B is still in Overused rather than Ubers.

The term shore up could literally refer to that, but we're not dealing with the literal term. It was meant to be a pun on gathering sand from the shore to shore up. Also, the Japanese name is literally Sand Gather, which rules out mud, clay, and rock.

While I think Shore Up will remain a Sandygast/Palossand exclusive move, it being called Sand Gather in Japan doesn't necessarily rule out any other Pokemon to get it. Hippopotas and Hippowdon would be the most likely due to their Sand theme.

Last edited:

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
Photon Geyser is the beginning of something great much like Freeze Dry and Flying Press. Moves that break preconceived confines. It almost makes you wish they could do something similar for Kyurem with a fluid Ice-type move that favors the greater offense for it’s category. As it is, the exclusives for Kyurem are too telegraphed despite nothing being immune to ice attacks sans Shedinja.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
While I think Shore Up will remain a Sandygast/Palossand exclusive move, it being called Sand Gather in Japan doesn't necessarily rule out any other Pokemon to get it. Hippopotas and Hippowdon would be the most likely due to their Sand theme.

That post was made in response to someone saying Claydol should be able to use Shore Up, which has no sand-theme to speak of.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
That post was made in response to someone saying Claydol should be able to use Shore Up, which has no sand-theme to speak of.

Yes, I know, I was referring more to when you said "Ignoring the fact it's Palossand's signature move", which isn't saying much considering many Pokemon in the past to receive a signature move have lost it to other Pokemon. Chesnaught with Spiky Shield, for example.

Also Claydol and Baltoy have a small sand theme as almost everywhere they're found in the games is in a sandy/desert place.(Barring Route 3 in HG and Route 206 in DPPt) Though, Shore Up wouldn't be as fitting as Recover for it.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Yes, I know, I was referring more to when you said "Ignoring the fact it's Palossand's signature move", which isn't saying much considering many Pokemon in the past to receive a signature move have lost it to other Pokemon. Chesnaught with Spiky Shield, for example.

Also Claydol and Baltoy have a small sand theme as almost everywhere they're found in the games is in a sandy/desert place.(Barring Route 3 in HG and Route 206 in DPPt) Though, Shore Up wouldn't be as fitting as Recover for it.

The only thing is that Shore Up means to support or prop up with something, in this case, more sand. Can those pokemon support themselves up by gathering more sand? You'd have to think of a pokemon that uses sand or something like sand to support body. But thats getting very literal. They could say Grimer or something, maybe it could mix sand with itself to prop up its gunk :p idk lol.

Also random but for other moves:
-Solrock to get SolarBlade (not out of necessity, but because I like Solrock and think it'd be better than SolarBeam at least for a sun based move)
-Gogoat and Sawsbuck to get TropKick
-Butterfree and Beautifly to get PollenPuff (not vivillon though for having hurricane)
-Ice Hammer for Abomosnow and it'd be neat if Alolan Exegutor got icehammer too just out of getting all the hammer moves even though it wouldn't fit exactly with it's typing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.