• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Moves Discussion & Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aetius

Photon Geyser, other than being a fantastic move, is extremely curious, as it is an extreme variation of Psyshock.
I wonder what his base power will be...

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
Guys! About my post with Shore Up and the Baltoy line from a few weeks ago, suck it up. I’ll give you a straw if you need one.

The phrase "to shore up" means to support and like just about everything in these games, shouldn’t be taken literally. In Pallosand's case it's a play on words. Baltoy/Claydol are notoriously found in areas with Sandstorm active, and they’re made of freaking earth! Give them Recover if you want, the point of my post was Shore Up fits them thematically and would do WONDERS for their use, especially on Sand Box teams (66% heal). At least until a Pursuit trapper or Knock Off user appears. But we’re not limiting ourselves to the realm of “oh noes it's a signature move”, because really there’s no such thing. Even Octillery swallowed some crow with others getting Octazooka, and the move’s got his name in it, especially the Japanese version. So split hairs on something else.

Last edited:

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Guys! About my post with Shore Up and the Baltoy line from a few weeks ago, suck it up. I’ll give you a straw if you need one.

The phrase "to shore up" means to support and like just about everything in these games, shouldn’t be taken literally. In Pallosand's case it's a play on words. Baltoy/Claydol are notoriously found in areas with Sandstorm active, and they’re made of freaking earth! Give them Recover if you want, the point of my post was Shore Up fits them thematically and would do WONDERS for their use, especially on Sand Box teams (66% heal). At least until a Pursuit trapper or Knock Off user appears. But we’re not limiting ourselves to the realm of “oh noes it's a signature move”, because really there’s no such thing. Even Octillery swallowed some crow with others getting Octazooka, and the move’s got his name in it, especially the Japanese version. So split hairs on something else.

Hey it was a good topic starter, i don't think it's a big deal or anything. I was also starting to think that they could easily give Shore Up to a few ground pokemon, even baltoy, as recover is given to pokemon who don't seem like they could easily regenerate, roost is given to pokemon that are neither birds or bats, and heal bell is given to pokemon who clearly do not have a bell. They've done too many pokemon injustice by giving their signature moves away that it shouldnt stop now lol

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

Or maybe you should admit that you're stretching what the theme of Shore Up is. In the end, it's concept is taking the surrounding sand, and adding it to itself. Claydol is not made of sand, so gathering sand would not help it. I don't deny it wouldn't help Claydol, but it would not fit thematically.

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
Sure it is. Claydol's got clay in it's name, Dex says it's made from mud/clay. Clay's fine silica, just like sand. Boom, no stretch.

If anything, give Shore Up to Hippowdon for maximum trolling. And nobody can deny Hippowdon's affinity for sandy goodness.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
So happy Lunala got the cooler move name and animation!!! Maelstrom is one of the best words in the English language

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Sure it is. Claydol's got clay in it's name, Dex says it's made from mud/clay. Clay's fine silica, just like sand. Boom, no stretch.

Keyword: fine silica. Sand is course and anything but fine. If you tried making clay out of sand, you would never get it hold together in anything at all resembling clay.

If anything, give Shore Up to Hippowdon for maximum trolling. And nobody can deny Hippowdon's affinity for sandy goodness.

I could give you completely different reasons for why it wouldn't work on Hippowdon, but I'm not even going to bother, as you'll probably just ignore them too and continue to pretend like it makes sense.

Sulfurian

At the end of the day it's Gamefreak's franchise and they can do whatever they want. It's not like they haven't done questionable things with moves before. Like why can't Entei learn earthquake.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
At the end of the day it's Gamefreak's franchise and they can do whatever they want. It's not like they haven't done questionable things with moves before. Like why can't Entei learn earthquake.

Well, yeah. But just because of that, we shouldn't expect/want them to things that don't make sense and ruin the lore of certain moves.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Keyword: fine silica. Sand is course and anything but fine. If you tried making clay out of sand, you would never get it hold together in anything at all resembling clay.

I could give you completely different reasons for why it wouldn't work on Hippowdon, but I'm not even going to bother, as you'll probably just ignore them too and continue to pretend like it makes sense.

For Hippowdon, couldn't he, thematically, suck sand into holes to support his body up? :p

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
For Hippowdon, couldn't he, thematically, suck sand into holes to support his body up? :p

Maybe... It still kind goes against directly using the sand to fortify the body made of sand, but I guess that could be excuse. Not the best, but an excuse nonetheless.

Fairy Queen

Lover of the Fairy type
Maybe... It still kind goes against directly using the sand to fortify the body made of sand, but I guess that could be excuse. Not the best, but an excuse nonetheless.

They explained Raichu getting an Alola form using pancakes...I don't put it past GF to use that excuse.

Akashin

They explained Raichu getting an Alola form using pancakes...I don't put it past GF to use that excuse.

Eh, GF doesn't really tend to bother too much with excusing what Pokemon get what where moves are concerned. We just usually go in after them and figure out whether or not this or that makes sense; we probably care a fair bit more than they do.

With that said, giving new Pokemon a niche signature move seems to have been a somewhat big thing this Generation. I wouldn't be surprised if most if not all of them stay that way, at least for the time being.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
But seriously, I HOPE HOPE HOPE Solrock is in these games with SolarBlade seriously

If you read Solar Blade's description, it states: "In this two-turn attack, the user gathers light and fills a blade with the light's energy, attacking the target on the next turn." This would mean that the Pokémon has to have an existing blade like Lurantis' scythes to use the move. Solrock has no such feature.

Akashin

If you read Solar Blade's description, it states: "In this two-turn attack, the user gathers light and fills a blade with the light's energy, attacking the target on the next turn." This would mean that the Pokémon has to have an existing blade like Lurantis' scythes to use the move. Solrock has no such feature.

It does, however, have rock points that could be used in place of a blade while spinning itself to swing the blade. It's not like the method of attack needs to 100% match what the description says; Gallade and Kartana don't use a sharp leaf for Leaf Blade, for example.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
It does, however, have rock points that could be used in place of a blade while spinning itself to swing the blade. It's not like the method of attack needs to 100% match what the description says; Gallade and Kartana don't use a sharp leaf for Leaf Blade, for example.

Debatable, but sure.

Hero of Truth

Lillie Fan
Thought about it a while ago, would it be cool to have a move that will act like Protect but for two Pokémon? It would be useful in double battles; I'm surprised there isn't a move like that yet.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
Thought about it a while ago, would it be cool to have a move that will act like Protect but for two Pokémon? It would be useful in double battles; I'm surprised there isn't a move like that yet.

It's probably because it would be overpowered in doubles. Have the two Pokemon switch off using the double Protect and matches would go on much much longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.