• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Moves Discussion & Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
Those are great points, especially Solar Blade. It'd be broken on Groudon, but on things that are Sun referenced like Sunflora and Solrock, Solar Blade makes sense.

Aerodactyl with Brave Bird and/or Head Smash would be 1000x Instant Ban. It's just too abusive. In all honesty, they need to retcon Aerodactyl's ability to something more usable because all it gets is Take Down anyways, unless you go way back in time. 100% of the time Pressure or Unnerve will help you out more.

Ribombee and Feraligatr are matters of time. They'll happen eventually. Bigger question is when will Steelix get its much deserved Coil? And talk about someone who's needed Head Smash, Steelix is still as slow as an abalone and has plenty of chances to get hit first.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Those are great points, especially Solar Blade. It'd be broken on Groudon, but on things that are Sun referenced like Sunflora and Solrock, Solar Blade makes sense.

Aerodactyl with Brave Bird and/or Head Smash would be 1000x Instant Ban. It's just too abusive. In all honesty, they need to retcon Aerodactyl's ability to something more usable because all it gets is Take Down anyways, unless you go way back in time. 100% of the time Pressure or Unnerve will help you out more.

Ribombee and Feraligatr are matters of time. They'll happen eventually. Bigger question is when will Steelix get its much deserved Coil? And talk about someone who's needed Head Smash, Steelix is still as slow as an abalone and has plenty of chances to get hit first.

I'm curious why they even gave Aerodactyl that ability if they weren't going to let it use it much. But the ban makes it make a bit more sense that they made a decision to leave them out instead of just thinking they didn't fit it. Although looking at the pokemon who got, I'm curious what the logic is around that move being given to pokemon.

I'm surprised they left coil out of Steelix's moveset also... the only snake not to get it I believe.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I don't think Aerodactyl would be OP if it got Head Smash. Head Smash has pretty poor accuracy and Aerodactyl only has base 105 attack. Stuff like Tapu Bulu with Wood Hammer hit way harder than that. Sure, Aerodactyl is way faster, but it's also pretty fragile and stuff like Bullet Punch and Ice Shard completely wreck Aerodactyl. Sudowoodo also got Head Smash in the generation shift, Sudowoodo has base 100 attack and it's still not even close to being OP.

R_N

I don't think Aerodactyl would be OP if it got Head Smash. Head Smash has pretty poor accuracy and Aerodactyl only has base 105 attack. Stuff like Tapu Bulu with Wood Hammer hit way harder than that. Sure, Aerodactyl is way faster, but it's also pretty fragile and stuff like Bullet Punch and Ice Shard completely wreck Aerodactyl. Sudowoodo also got Head Smash in the generation shift, Sudowoodo has base 100 attack and it's still not even close to being OP.

also if you're using it in doubles (the playstyle gamefreak REALLY cares about) you're probably running rock slide or its other support options instead

Sulfurian

With aero's speed it can afford to go choice banded head smashes which is more powerful than you think. Also sudwoodo is a poor example due to the set up required to make it work, as you sacriface sturdy for rock head on that, which needs to also set up rock polish with weakness policy

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I'm curious why they even gave Aerodactyl that ability if they weren't going to let it use it much. But the ban makes it make a bit more sense that they made a decision to leave them out instead of just thinking they didn't fit it. Although looking at the pokemon who got, I'm curious what the logic is around that move being given to pokemon.

It does literally have a head of rock, so it seems pretty logical to me to give it the ability. Competitive use is not the end-all reason for giving abilities to Pokemon.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
It does literally have a head of rock, so it seems pretty logical to me to give it the ability. Competitive use is not the end-all reason for giving abilities to Pokemon.

Yeah definitely, no argument there. But what is the logic behind not giving it Head Smash?

Lykouros

Sandslash fan
Stuff like Tapu Bulu with Wood Hammer hit way harder than that.

To be fair, Tapu Bulu with Wood Hammer hits way harder than most other pokemon in the game, especially with Grassy Terrain in affect.

It's possible they didn't want Aerodactyl to be OP with Head Smash and Rock Head, but after they made Mega Rayquaza and Mega Kangaskhan, I don't know if I believe they care about what's OP or not anymore. Even those can be taken out easily with some strategy, but if we're talking sheer potential in battle, they are good references.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Yeah definitely, no argument there. But what is the logic behind not giving it Head Smash?

All I can say is that there are plenty of Pokemon who can't learn moves that they really should be able to, many are much worse offenders than Aerodactyl (Heliolisk and Solar Beam come to mind immediately). In such cases, it simply comes down to Game Freak's mostly arbitrary choice.

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
Choice Band and Rock Head Smash or a B.B. scream utter abuse. The case can be made for priority until you remember Psychic Terrain is now a thing. In Doubles you also have Quick Guard, and those new priority dampening abilities. So that 394 speed all of a sudden is pretty important to bench mark, 80% of the time. Neither HS or B.B. have immunities, VERY few things have 4x resists to Rock or Flying (Cobalion, Lucario, A-Golem, Magnezone, the crappy Steel/Rock combos, these are your best counters). And Aero gets Quake for things that do.

So on paper it seems there’s enough counter measure but in practice a Head Smashing Aero would start turning uncompetitive quicker than Gen IV Outrage.

Last edited:

Fairy Queen

Lover of the Fairy type
I wonder what the base power will be for Photon Geyser. Probably 100. The move will be useful for Necrozma since it can use it in either form.

Status
Not open for further replies.