• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Moves Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
Seeing as the Switch game is likely to be a new generation we will obviously be seeing some new Moves as well as new Pokémon. What kind of new Moves would you like to see?

I’ve been thinking would be cool to have a move similar to Taunt that stops Pokémon using attacking moves rather than status moves.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
As others, including Masuda himself, have noted they seem to be currently focusing on introducing more (temporary) signature moves and rare moves for Pokémon, particularly for new species to make individual species and archetypes more unique. You know, like Gen I games and Digimon.

But this aside, if they don't increase the number of TMs and Tutors, there is not much of a prospect for generic coverage moves, which is sad as most types desperately need such moves, specifically Fairy, Ghost and Steel.

SleepingGiant

Discord mod (Sudo)
  • Status moves add a lot more strategy to the game than generic attacks. But a lot of casual players don't really use status moves, especially the ones that pretty much define Doubles.
  • Attacks with drawbacks may not be very good because there are strong options for every type (except physical fairy and special rock).
  • Attacks that are good without as much of a drawback might cause power creep and cause existing moves to suffer the fate of the second bullet point.

I would like to see:
  • Support moves that can cause cool yet different strategic gameplay in Singles and maybe even in casual play. I'm way more of a Doubles player personally, but that might be owed to the fact that Singles has fewer options: hyper offensive, stall, and memey sweeping. Those archetypes kept me occupied in 2010 but got super old by 2018.
  • Support moves that may affect Singles or Doubles, but that are on a reliable few Pokemon. For example, Trick Room is found mainly on Psychic-type Pokemon. There are exceptions, but those exceptions are easy to learn. Ally Switch, on the other hand, is so widely distributed that it's more of a surprise tech move. However, Strength Sap is a bit too limited, as it's not strong enough to justify taking a slot on your team but it's not available on any Pokemon you would want to use in a non-ironic story playthrough or very low tiers in fan-based metagames.
  • Coverage attacks that are actually very limited. A physical Rock move with 100% accuracy and actually respectable power (more than 60 not asking for too much right?) for example. This would easily become overbearing if the likes of Mega Aerodactyl, Terrakion, or even non-STAB mons like Landorus or Garchomp had access to it, but give it to less common mons like Toxicroak, Furret, or Electivire and it would be easier for players to play with their favorites without worrying about other Pokemon that "do the same job better".
  • Moves that mess with the type chart. Flying Press and Freeze Dry are really cool. They also affect both casual and competitive gameplay.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Yeah, Dark Void could go back. I'd also be fine with it if they only buff it back to like 90% accuracy for singles and keep it at 50% for doubles and royals, because it hits multiple opponents and especially in doubles it can also get Gravity support from fast partners like Mewtwo or Deoxys.

Sprinter1988

Iron Fang, Stone Fang, Bramble Fang, Drake Fang, Aqua Fang, Moon Fang and Phantom Fang - Steel, Rock, Grass, Dragon, Water, Fairy and Ghost variants of Fire, Ice and Thunder Fang. Adds more physical moves to the water and fairy types!
Also, make Poison Fang the same strength as the other Fang moves!

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Iron Fang, Stone Fang, Bramble Fang, Drake Fang, Aqua Fang, Moon Fang and Phantom Fang - Steel, Rock, Grass, Dragon, Water, Fairy and Ghost variants of Fire, Ice and Thunder Fang. Adds more physical moves to the water and fairy types!
If these are introduced then I expect the punch variants will get introduced as well. Like there will possibly be punch moves for all types introduced other than Fire, Electric and Ice.

Kage-Pikachu

lol, why does both a tornado and a twister do so little damage? Last time I check both were devastating!

Thunder Tail (like Pikachu used against Lt Surge's Raichu and Drake Ditto), Possession (a two turn Ghost attack like Sky Drop in which a Ghost possesses a Pokemon and then makes it attack itself or heal it's opponent in the case of healing moves, DEFINITELY not 100 percent accurate), Dang it's so hard to think of physical Psychic attacks... Maybe an attack similar to Psyshock but for Fairy type Pokemon.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Thunder Clap.
Special Electric attack
80bp 100acc.
The user summons a massive bolt of lightning that sends a thunderous noise at its foes. (Electric type sound move)

Stalag Bite.
Physical Rock attack
75bp 100acc.
The user bites doen on the foe with hard as rock teeth.

Magma Geyser
Special Rock attack.
80bp 100acc.
Channeling engery into the ground, the user blasts the foe with a geyser of super heated rock.

Mud Pies
Special Ground attack
25bp 95acc.
This Pokemon flings 2-5 globs of mud at the foe, hitting grounded and aerial targets alike.

Prickly Vines
Physical Grass attack
85bp 100acc
Strikes its target with vines covered in prickly thorns dealing damaging and possibly causing the foe to flinch.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I’d like to see a few current moves either become or regain a TM status.

The following are the moves:

Moonblast
Pay Day
Recycle
Inferno
First Impression
Smelling Salt
Wake Up Slap
Force Palm
Darkest Lariat
Sacred Sword
Vacuum Wave
Ominous Wind
Silver Wind
Fury Cutter (with a slightly higher 50 base power but 90% accuracy with a max cap of damage cause to be 120 not counting resistance and weakness)
Follow Me
Spotlight
Giga Drain
Dragon Breath
Hone Claws
Beat Up
Barrage (I’ve always pictured Chansey using this move by hurling dozens of eggs in a frenzied fashion thus diffierentiating Barrage from Egg Bomb)
Sky Attack

If any become Move Tutors, I’d be happy with it as well.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian

I really don't see the reason for most of those tbh. Water already has plenty of physical attacks (Razor Shell, Waterfall, Crabhammer, Liquidation, Aqua Tail), why add even more to that list that aren't going to be used anyway? Pretty much every water type worth mentioning gets at least one of those moves already. Also Poison Fang is weaker because it's more accurate and has a very powerful side effect. 50% chance of badly poisoning the target, way better than a 10% chance for paralysis from Thunder Fang.

Just because some types have fang moves doesn't mean all other types have to get them. The game would be boring if all types got the exact same moves.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
I really don't see the reason for most of those tbh. Water already has plenty of physical attacks (Razor Shell, Waterfall, Crabhammer, Liquidation, Aqua Tail), why add even more to that list that aren't going to be used anyway? Pretty much every water type worth mentioning gets at least one of those moves already. Also Poison Fang is weaker because it's more accurate and has a very powerful side effect. 50% chance of badly poisoning the target, way better than a 10% chance for paralysis from Thunder Fang.

Just because some types have fang moves doesn't mean all other types have to get them. The game would be boring if all types got the exact same moves.

Id say not every type needs a Fang, or Punch, or Beam, or etc equivalent. That said some not only could use them, but they could also use more variety. Sure Water type has plenty of physical attacks, but distribution of some of those attacks isnt great, hence why Liquidation as a move Tutor move is so appreciated.

Thats the bighest thing Id like to see more move diversatiy specfically for Pokemon lacking that (namely Pokemon post gen 3ish). Id also like to see some diversity removed.... and this will be an unpopular opinion, but can we retcon and limit EQ's distribution. For such an OP move its just to availible.

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
We do need a ground typed bite attack, though, just so it can be named Terra Bite.

What you just did there... I saw it.

Whatever they do with new moves, they need to tone it down on the exaggerated names. Clangorous Soulblaze comes to mind, so does Darkest Lariat and Malicious Moonsault. These are supposed to be commands a Pokémon would learn naturally. Malicious Moonsault doesn’t just roll of the tongue, is hardly organic OR intuitive. Attacks like Lunge, Toxic Thread, Flame Lash, those are intuitive and normal sounding.

Also, I know I’ve said this for years but buff Poison Tail. It’s distribution is abysmal and the move is useless on what gets it. Make it either 60 BP with 100 critical hit, or buff it to 90 BP with current rates. As it stands it’s terrible and everything that gets it has no reason to use it, ever. Not befitting of such an awesome sounding move.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
What you just did there... I saw it.

Whatever they do with new moves, they need to tone it down on the exaggerated names. Clangorous Soulblaze comes to mind, so does Darkest Lariat and Malicious Moonsault. These are supposed to be commands a Pokémon would learn naturally. Malicious Moonsault doesn’t just roll of the tongue, is hardly organic OR intuitive. Attacks like Lunge, Toxic Thread, Flame Lash, those are intuitive and normal sounding.

Also, I know I’ve said this for years but buff Poison Tail. It’s distribution is abysmal and the move is useless on what gets it. Make it either 60 BP with 100 critical hit, or buff it to 90 BP with current rates. As it stands it’s terrible and everything that gets it has no reason to use it, ever. Not befitting of such an awesome sounding move.
One name I can never get over: Light that Burns the Sky... I get that It's a legendary's special z-move, but that is just ridiculous for a pokemon move, sounds like a digimon move or yu-gi-oh spell card. So I agree they should tone down the names big time and make them more natural and basic sounding.

Ivannis

Overload
Special electric attack
70bp 100acc 20pp
This move is super effective on Electric types. This may also leave the target with paralysis (10%)

Ultra Beast Lover

Mind Blast, the hyper beam for psychic types.

Arctic Blast
Special ice type attack
100bp 5pp
This move damages all non ice types, 30 percent chance of freezing

Siren Song
Special fairy type attack
95bp 12pp
This move not only damages the foe but may cause confusion

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
Siren Song
Special fairy type attack
95bp 12pp
This move not only damages the foe but may cause confusion

PP should be an increment of 5 (like 10), and switch confusion for attract status, plus sound based. I can see it on things like Lapras, Primarina, Tapu Fini, Meloetta, and yes even that s3xy beast Slowbro.

Overload
Special electric attack
70bp 100acc 20pp
This move is super effective on Electric types. This may also leave the target with paralysis (10%)

Love it, wouldn’t change a thing. Always wanted a Steel-type or an Electric-type EMP move that does what Throat Chop does but to electric type moves.

Last edited:

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
Priority electric and fire attacks. Long overdue.

Also change Dark Void back to what it was (but only usable by Darkrai)

This is what I would like to see too.

Also, more moves from TCG.
- Ram is one that I think will be good for the game as a 60-75 base power 100 accuracy physical Fight move that can be learned by most Pokemon. A lot of Pokemon would appreciate having access to a physical Fight move that's not Rock Smash.
- We need more physical Fairy moves, particularly ones that looks like they are learnable by most Fairy-type Pokemon. Snubbull from Fates Collide set has the move Ruckus, which I think would be good as a 75-80 base power 100 accuracy physical Fairy move.
- We also need more special Rock moves. Since Lunge becomes a Bug move in main series games, why not turn Manaphy-EX's Mineral Pump into a special Rock move? Team Magma's Aggron card has the move Boulder Storm, which sounds like a good candidate for another special Rock move. Or a Rhydon card's Mad Mountain move.

Last edited:

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I'm still waiting for Acid Rain to be come a real move. I'm honestly surprised it hasn't happened yet.

It would just be a Poison-type weather effect that damages pokemon each turn, and deals double damage to Water, Grass, and Steel-types. It would be a real game changer, for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.