1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

New Moves Speculation & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Pokémon Sword & Shield Discussion' started by Kingudora, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Kingudora

Kingudora My favourite

Discuss the new moves of the Pokemon series.

See this link for a current list.

What new moves would you like to see? An old move but with a different typing? Something entirely new?

I'm very interested in what the move of the CoroCoro move naming competition will turn out to be. The fact that it is a special Steel-type move with recoil really intrigues me. Special Steel-type moves are uncommon and special moves with recoil even more so. And most special Steel-type moves have involved reflecting light so far, but I hope this is based on molten metal. Perhaps the user melts parts of their metallic body as an attack, thus explaining why it hurts the user so much.

I also wonder which pokémon will be able to learn the move. For some background, Draco Meteor has similar history as the new move, also having a naming competition in CoroCoro prior to Diamond/Pearl. And Draco Meteor turned out to be a new move tutor exclusive to all Dragon pokémon. Will this new move be the same but for Steel pokémon? What do you think?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    wolf jani likes this.
  2. RileyXY1

RileyXY1 Young Battle Trainer

I believe that the next CoroCoro issue will definitely announce the winner of the move naming contest.

3. crystalphoenix88

crystalphoenix88 Fan 5ever

There's a new post on the main page about a move Grookey's shown using on the official Japanese site, which has been translated as "Stick Bash."

Not gonna lie, when I first saw that image on the Japanese site, I just assumed it was a new "Vine Whip" animation and moved right along. Glad somebody caught it! I' m not TOO excited by the prospect of yet another low/mid-power Grass-type attack after just receiving "Leafage" last Gen, so hopefully it comes with an interesting added effect. (I'm assuming it's not a high-power move since Grookey's battling a Lv. 6 Wooloo in those images, but we shall see).

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    wolf jani likes this.
  4. wolf jani

wolf jani The 6th member to reach 20 000 posts

Wow what?! I tough that was just wood hammer and wondered why such a low leveled pokemon had it. Dang I'm dumb.

5. paipr_christian

paipr_christian grass type fan.

I'm always game for new Grass attacks. And considering the damage it potentially does (specially if that particular Wooloo had Fluffy) maybe it's a pretty strong attack?

wolf jani likes this.
  6. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

Stick Bash confuses me. It's used by a low-level Grookey and sounds like the name of a weaker move, and yet I have to assume it was a move made specifically for Grookey. Did they really just introduce a weak, low-level signature move? If so, what's the point?

I suppose it could be learned by an extremely select few other Pokémon, like maybe Phantump or Mimikyu, but it just seems too specific to Grookey to assume that's possible.

7. Divine Retribution

Divine Retribution Master of the freak show

Probably Farfetch'd too, but yeah, just seems to be Gen 8's version of Leafage. Completely pointless other than an early game STAB option for the Grass starter.

8. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

Leafage was at least somewhat generic. Sure, it wasn't really given to anything (likely due to how pointless and unneeded it was), but at least in theory a large number of Grass-Types could have been given the move if it was desired. But Stick Bash is not generic and all, and is unable to pretend that it was made for anything but Grookey.

9. paipr_christian

paipr_christian grass type fan.

Again, keep in mind Wooloo has Fluffy, so half damage from moves that make contact (which I'd assume Stick Bash will) so it's possible the damage done with this attack is halved. Plus we don't know nature's or stats.

For all we know it's a signature attack that has decent BP. Maybe even an added effect.

10. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

It doesn't really matter. This is a move being used by a low level Pokémon against a low level Pokémon. It's not going to be a powerful move.

Not to mention that Stick Bash might be one of the sillier concepts for a signature move, if that's what it really is.

11. crystalphoenix88

"Leafage" was only given to Gen VII Pokémon, so there might be some as-yet-unveiled Gen VIII Pokémon who also get access to "Stick Bash." The starters' damage-dealing signature moves have never been weaker than 65 (unless they're multi-strike or vary by weight difference), so hopefully this isn't the one to break that trend.

Even if it's not exclusive to Grookey, though, I'm still not terribly excited for it (unless we get pleasantly surprised by its actual power and/or added effects). Grass really isn't hurting for low and mid-power move options: "Bullet Seed" (depending on hits), "Absorb," "Leafage," "Mega Drain," "Vine Whip," "Razor Leaf," "Magical Leaf," "Needle Arm," "Leaf Tornado," "Trop Kick," "Giga Drain," "Horn Leech"...

**Fingers crossed** for another special Rock attack (with wider availability), or just a second physical Fairy move (not counting Z-Moves).

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  12. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army Staff Member Moderator

Stick Bash I could see being given to the Phantump line, Sudowoodo, the Snover line, and both Exeggcutor forms. Basically any Pokémon that are connected to or look like trees with the exception of Sceptile.

13. Trainer Yusuf

Trainer Yusuf VolcaniNO

^Yeah pretty much, GameFreak wants each Grass-type* group to be their own sub-type of sorts(like mushrooms, cotton balls, flowers etc.), this would be for the wood-related species.

*This isn't exclusive trend for Grass-types, it is just more blatant here since they seem to want to make Grass the next most common type, when it is currently behind Flying and Water. This is arguably comparable to how Water is divided into three Egg Groups, regular aquatic animals, fishes and invertebrates.

wolf jani likes this.
  14. TheKnightsFury

TheKnightsFury TheKnightsFury

Just want to point out that Grookey when battling Milo had Razor Leaf instead of Stick Bash. Iirc it was lvl 15 at that point. Stick bash kind of seems useless if you get Razor Leaf access not long after. Also you have to squeeze Taunt in there as well. So it if starts with Tackle, Growl, Stick Bash you’re probably looking at Taunt around lvl 8-9 and Razor Leaf lvl 13-15. Seems kind of pointless if Stick Bash is just the filler Grass move, could have just given it Leafage.

15. Kingudora

Kingudora My favourite

Stick Bash might have an additional effect, sorta like Rock Smash, to set it apart from Leafage and Vine Whip.

EDIT: Considering how the official website describes Grookey's stick as having 'special powers', Stick Bash might raise one of the user's stats.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    PokeMon2.0 and wolf jani like this.
  16. crystalphoenix88

Looks like "Stick Bash" is officially "Branch Poke" in English. 40 PP. No additional effects seen.

17. Kingudora

Kingudora My favourite

If Branch Poke is just Leafage 2.0, I'll be a bit disappointed. Especially since there are types that really could use some low-power physical moves for variance. Water, Fairy and Psychic are just some that spring to mind.

Actually, I could easily see a Fairy-type clone of Thief/Covet, considering how fairies have penchant for stealing things in folklore.

wolf jani likes this.
  18. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

So yeah, Branch Poke is either an extremely specific generic move, or the world's most pathetic signature move.

19. Pokemon Fan

Pokemon Fan Knuckle Trainer

Gotta admit its a fitting low power move for a mischievous primate. Its literally weaponizing the long cherished "poke it with a stick" trope.

20. Kingudora

Kingudora My favourite

Yeah, absolutely. Thematically, I love Branch Poke. Mechanically, I think it is oversaturating the Grass-type with low-power moves. Especially if it isn't distributed well either.

Actually, my main beef with Leafage last gen was that it could have been distributed to pokémon like Chespin and Skiddo, where Leafage would have fit better thematically rather than Vine Whip as an early physical Grass-type move. But instead, Leafage was exclusive Gen 7 pokémon.

So I hope the same won't happen with Branch Poke. Hopefully the Phantump line and Sawsbuck can learn it, maybe even Farfetch'd, but otherwise it seems somewhat exclusive.