• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Moves Speculation & Discussion Thread

flygon1509

I would like to see 2 things in the new games the most.
1. Acid Rain weather condition. Make all the pokemon except poison and steel types lose 1/16 of max HP, boosts the power of Poison type moves. I think it fits Galar with the british industrial revolution theme.
2. New status condition called Bleeding. After some razor moves (Fury Swipes, Slash etc) Pokemon would lose 1/16 of max HP 2-5 turns with possible increasing of its vulnerability (critical hits land more easily)
I have the same idea for Poison Terrain which damages all grounded non-Poison/Steel pokemon each turn, boosts Poison moves and prevents healing moves.

Kingudora

My favourite
I have been thinking a bit about Morpeko's signature move, Aura Wheel. I wonder how it would interact with moves such as Sketch/Mimic/Copycat/Mirror Move?

Would the type of the copied move be the same as the one used last turn? Or would it default to Electric, if you don't have the ability Hunger Switch? Or perhaps fail completely?

I'm also a bit disappointed we didn't get some more information about Obstagoon's Obstruct move.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I really want a move that I created called Double Trouble to become a reality but I doubt it will. The move works in Double battles and basically the user waits for its partner to use a damaging attack the same turn and both attack the opponent’s Pokémon at twice the power. So if Minun used Double Trouble and its partner Venipede used Steamroller then both Pokémon end up using the move at the same time and doubling any damage given. It’s sort of like Parental Bond except it works only in Double battles and two Pokémon must be on the same side for it to work successfully. It also won’t work for moves that must charge before a successful hit or one that recharges afterwards like Giga Impact. If a multi turn attack is used then this move would use that attack for the first turn and fail if used consecutively until the multi turn attack cycle ends. This is just to keep the move from being so broken.

DannyDark

I really want a move that I created called Double Trouble to become a reality but I doubt it will. The move works in Double battles and basically the user waits for its partner to use a damaging attack the same turn and both attack the opponent’s Pokémon at twice the power. So if Minun used Double Trouble and its partner Venipede used Steamroller then both Pokémon end up using the move at the same time and doubling any damage given. It’s sort of like Parental Bond except it works only in Double battles and two Pokémon must be on the same side for it to work successfully. It also won’t work for moves that must charge before a successful hit or one that recharges afterwards like Giga Impact. If a multi turn attack is used then this move would use that attack for the first turn and fail if used consecutively until the multi turn attack cycle ends. This is just to keep the move from being so broken.

So.. if I'm understanding it correctly.. it's Helping Hand, but a 100% boost instead of 50% boost to damage?

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Squeak, Fairy Utility move.
20pp.

The users makes an adorable squeaking sound that lowers the Defense and Special Defence of the target.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I would like to see 2 things in the new games the most.
1. Acid Rain weather condition. Make all the pokemon except poison and steel types lose 1/16 of max HP, boosts the power of Poison type moves. I think it fits Galar with the british industrial revolution theme.
2. New status condition called Bleeding. After some razor moves (Fury Swipes, Slash etc) Pokemon would lose 1/16 of max HP 2-5 turns with possible increasing of its vulnerability (critical hits land more easily)

Acid rain would be awesome! I always felt Poison and Steel were severely underplayed, they could really use something like that! Heck a Pokemon like Galar Weezing could automatically trigger it upon release!

I don't see much need for more status conditions though, I actually think we're good on those. The only thing I'd say is that they need to not make them as rigged in the AI's favor, it's quite insane how you can be paralyzed/infatuated every damn turn while the AI ignores Paralysis/Infatuation or shrugs off being frozen/sleepy while you're stuck waiting it out

anjunajake

you were the sun & moon to me
A physical Dragon move with at least 95% accuracy and 95 BP. Like a Dragon version of Play Rough. Dragon Claw is too weak, Dragon Rush is unreliable and not very well distributed, and Outrage locks you into the move and confuses you, not to mention you can't even choose your target in doubles.

Another semi powerful special fairy move aside from Moon Blast and Dazzling Gleam. Faries need more of a move variety in general to reflect all of the different types of faries we have now. I cannot see Weezing using Moon Blast or Dazzling Gleam.

Another special dark type move other than Dark Pulse.

As others have stated, a good special flying type move for all those /flying types. A flying variant of Flame Thrower/Ice Beam/Energy ball ect would be AWESOME. I had this idea of nerfing Hurricane into a base 90 BP move/100% accurate, and creating a new flying move called Gale Force Wings to replace Hurricane, with the 130 BP, low accuracy instead.

Another physical fairy move, maybe some sort of fairy type punch move or "Playful Bite".

A water move called Tidal Wave. I know the water type is the last type to need more moves. Honestly I just like the name, lol. Ideal it would be the signature move of a Water/Fairy type Pokemon, and would have some sort of cool side effect. Haven't decided what.

I would like either a new physical ice type move around 90 BP, or for Icicle Crash to be better distributed. Hardly anyone gets it!

Zaide

I think the idea is nice. However, I think despite your precaution, it might still be too OP. Now, I just want to make it clear that I have no idea which Pokémon would get access to that kind of move, and that a move is only broken or overpowered when it can be used by a Pokémon that makes it be.

I also assume that "doubling the power" was an abuse of vocabulary on your part, and that in reality, what would happen in your scenario is first, Venipede uses Steamroller, and second, Minun uses Steamroller. In practice, that's the same as "attacking at the same time" (with, I assume, the original user going "first" for logisitic programming). I don't think you meant it in a way that only Venipede would use Steamroller, but it would have twice the BP, since you mentionned a similarity to Parental Bond.

My last assumption is that it would have to be a priority move, in the same mold as Follow me, Helping hand, etc., for it to work.

Knowing this, this is where my main issue arises. If you pair a Pokemon with that move alongside a fast/scarfed strong Pokémon, you can basically hit twice before any of your opponent can move. This would be particularly devasting if the Pokemon learning Double Trouble happen to have decent offensive stats, and/or ways to boost themselves, which is likely to happen. I think we can all agree that Minun is pretty bad, but it also has access to Nasty Plot. Just imagine virtually priority thunderbolts for both on electric terrain (I say virtually due to Koko's speed tier and the possibility to have it wear scarf). This also allows very slow Pokémon (which are generally either bulkier or stronger, or both) to leapfrog their way in front of much faster Pokémon, without having any negative consequence like Trick Room would have on its faster teammate.

If anything, I think the way to balance such a move would simply be by making it a Mirror Move counterpart, which fails when used on an enemy. Basically, it would copy the last move used by the allied target. No "waiting for X to move". It would fail if the target hasn't used a move since switching in.

Other solutions to balance it, and keep the principle of attacking at the "same time", would be :
- The BP of the move used by the Pokémon using Double Trouble is reduced by 50%, 66% or 75% (the latter is in line with Parental Bond, but I think it would be too much)
- The move doesn't have priority, and it only works if used before the targeted allied moves (honestly, this might be what you meant all along, so sorry for my initial assumption if that's the case!)

Last edited:

Kingudora

My favourite
I have a hard time seeing Breaking Swipe having a high base power. It is probably on the same level as Fake Out in power, since the effect of Breaking Swipe is rather strong (especially in doubles).

Steel Beam is a rather lacklustre name, however, it is still a pun like the original Japanese name.

Fairy Queen

Lover of the Fairy type
I have a hard time seeing Breaking Swipe having a high base power. It is probably on the same level as Fake Out in power, since the effect of Breaking Swipe is rather strong (especially in doubles).

Steel Beam is a rather lacklustre name, however, it is still a pun like the original Japanese name.

Breaking Swipe will likely be a physical version of Snarl and Struggle Bug. So it will likely have 50-55 BP.

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
Steel Beam as the offical English name for Exhaustive Beam sounds a bit lacklustre. I get translation can be a tricky matter but keeping it as Exhaustive Beam seems to sound a bit better.

PurinTrap

Normally A "Fairly" Special Kind of Trainer.
Idk about new moves. But id like to see an update of a few moves. For example:attract.

If it can only work on pokemon of the opposite gender; can we at least increase the 50% chance of infatuation to at least 70%. Some people might not like this but honestly. Combating attract is as simple as switching out or using a genderless pokemon.
Abd if not modify attract. Can we at least increase the chance of infatuation for Cute Charm. Alot of pokemon have this ability; and its pretty Damn obsolete considering it only has a 30% chance of activating. If not increase the chance of immobilizing the oponent than at least increase the chance of cute charm activating so that it actually has some usage. I know other abilities are pretty useless on alot of pokemon but Cute Charm literally is quite useless on pretty much every pokemon with this ability its just not viable enough to advocate usage.

Kingudora

My favourite
Idk about new moves. But id like to see an update of a few moves. For example:attract.

If it can only work on pokemon of the opposite gender; can we at least increase the 50% chance of infatuation to at least 70%. Some people might not like this but honestly. Combating attract is as simple as switching out or using a genderless pokemon.
Abd if not modify attract. Can we at least increase the chance of infatuation for Cute Charm. Alot of pokemon have this ability; and its pretty Damn obsolete considering it only has a 30% chance of activating. If not increase the chance of immobilizing the oponent than at least increase the chance of cute charm activating so that it actually has some usage. I know other abilities are pretty useless on alot of pokemon but Cute Charm literally is quite useless on pretty much every pokemon with this ability its just not viable enough to advocate usage.
I think it is fine on 50%. However, I would like to see other attacks that cause infatuation other than Attract (preferably attacks that do damage as well).

And I think as well that Cute Charm effect rate needs to be bumped to 50%. Heck, all the abilities that can cause a status condition upon contact (Static, Flame Body etc.) should have their chance increased to 50%.

PokeMon2.0

Cramorant is too cute for words!
I’d like to see a move called Bear Hug. Physical fairy move that can cause paralysis. Learned by bear Pokémon.