• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Movesets - Discussion/Speculation Thread

Luthor

Pretty sure Legends does show Scizor hovering.

Plus...Doduo and Dodrio can learn fly despite having no visible wings.

With Dodrio its stated from Pokemon Snap "It can jump so high with its powerful legs, it may as well be flying!". Essentially its just so good at jumping it can "fly" (or fall with style). As for Scizor hovering you make a fair point that is a slight retcon of its soulsilver entry "its wings are not used for flying. They are flapped at high speed to adjust its body temperature". I suppose they could make it learn Fly if they wanted to but to be honest now they've added Kleavor which very much does not appear to be able to fly (and unlike Dodrio for now is not noted as a great jumper) I don't think they'll give it to Scyther at least and I don't think it helps Scizor much.

Literally Fly would not help Scizor at all. It needs Bug Bite back. There's no reason to run any other Scizor but Technican

You make a good point with Bug Bite. I'd definitely add that to its level up movepool.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Move idea:
Name: Shining stars
Type: Fairy
<3

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Name: Bewear
Move: Strength
Reason: I think Bewear should learn Strength. My reason is that Bewear is classified as the Strong Arm Pokemon in its Pokedex entries. Its Pokedex entries highlight how strong Bewear is. The Sun and Ultra Moon Pokedex entries basically say that Bewear has an extraordinary amount of physical strength. The Sword and Moon Pokedex entries basically say that Bewear likes to hug its companions and that Bewear can easily shatter their bones.
Bewear does learn Strength though.

Luthor

Kleavor
Move-Lunge/Skitter Smack, Cross Poison, Bulldoze, Iron head, Low Sweep & Crunch. Roost/Recover, Rock Polish, Iron Defence, Accelrock
Reason: These mainly are moves to add to Kleavor given that it now has the ability of Sheer force. These are suggestions of moves to work with Sheer Force. I also added roost mainly as its a healing move it could get from Scyther before it evolves (Scyther has had it in the past) but I admit suits Kleavor less well so recover is also fine, Rock Polish is to give it a chance to get faster, Iron Defence is if you want to go defensive. Accelrock while currently a signature is a move that could be given out to more Pokemon. I know this is a lot of moves but Kleavor wasn't really given than many moves given Legends Arceus had limited movepools and didn't have to worry about abilities.

Julia Artemis

I'm wondering what would be the best physical ghost move for Male Basculegion to possibly have? I can't really see Shadow Claw and Phantom Force is pretty bad. Honestly I feel female Basculegion will be better with Adaptability Hydro Pump and Shadow Ball

Orphalesion

I'm wondering what would be the best physical ghost move for Male Basculegion to possibly have? I can't really see Shadow Claw and Phantom Force is pretty bad. Honestly I feel female Basculegion will be better with Adaptability Hydro Pump and Shadow Ball
Sorry, but why would male Basculegion have a different movepool than female ones?

Luthor

Sorry, but why would male Basculegion have a different movepool than female ones?

Its not down to having different movepools but different move choices. Male Basculegion is stronger on the physical side but female are stronger on the special side. As such it'd be better to use physical moves with Male Basculegion

Poltergeist seems like a good option for competitive (i could see it no longer being move tutor limited). For in-game it'll probably rely on phantom force or special moves (it still has base 80 special attack)

Last edited:

Kingudora

My favourite
Its not down to having different movepools but different move choices. Male Basculegion is stronger on the physical side but female are stronger on the special side. As such it'd be better to use physical moves with Male Basculegion

Poltergeist seems like a good option for competitive (i could see it no longer being move tutor limited). For in-game it'll probably rely on phantom force or special moves (it still has base 80 special attack)
Hopefully, it will be able to learn Poltergeist. But considering that Dragapult couldn't, I can see Basculegion also being unable to learn it.

Julia Artemis

If Poltergeist is in the game it could be decent on Male Basculegion but maybe could be too powerful. Maybe there will be a new move in gen 9 that will be a cool physical ghost move that will be good. Because looking at ghost attacks there's nothing impressive on the physical side, which is ironic as it started as a physical typing

Kingudora

My favourite
I may as well give my two cents on which signature moves from gen 8 are likely to be redistributed. This should include most of them, but I left out some I'm unsure about.

Gen 8 signature moves unlikely to be redistributed:
  • Dynamax Cannon
  • No Retreat
  • Tar Shot
  • Dragon Darts
  • Teatime
  • Bolt Beak
  • Fishious Rend
  • Clangorous Soul
  • Drum Beating
  • Behemoth Blade
  • Behemoth Bash
  • Aura Wheel
  • Overdrive
  • Apple Acid
  • Grav Apple
  • Obstruct
  • False Surrender
  • Meteor Assault
  • Eternabeam
  • Shell Side Arm
  • Jungle Healing
  • Wicked Blow
  • Surging Strikes
  • Thunder Cage
  • Dragon Energy
  • Freezing Glare
  • Fiery Wrath
  • Thunderous Kick
  • Glacial Lance
  • Astral Barrage
  • Springtide Storm
  • Triple Arrows
  • Infernal Parade
  • Ceaseless Edge
  • Bleakwind Storm
  • Wildbolt Storm
  • Sandsear Storm
  • Lunar Blessing
  • Take Heart

Gen 8 signature moves with a limited redistribution:
  • Snipe Shot (Remoraid line, Horsea line)
  • Stuff Cheeks (other pokémon with Cheek Pouch, Pachirisu)
  • Octolock (Octillery)
  • Snap Trap (Carnivine - please)
  • Pyro Ball (as an egg move for some other Fire pokémon)
  • Strange Steam (maaaybe Musharna)
  • Eerie Spell (Delphox, Mismagius)
  • Stone Axe (Axew line, Pawniard line - though unlikely as a level-up move)
  • Barb Barrage (Mareanie line)
  • Esper Wing (the other Psychic/Flying pokémon)

Gen 8 signature moves with a potential for wide redistribution, or not at all:
  • Jaw Lock (as a tm, most pokémon with biting moves)
  • Magic Powder (potential new move for a lot of Psychic pokémon)
  • Court Change (as a tm, probably similar distribution as Magic Room, Wonder Room etc.)
  • Decorate (could be a potential new move for cutesy pokémon. Comfey especially seems like a good candidate)
  • Spirit Break (as a tm, i can see this slot into a bunch of existing pokémon's movesets)
  • Psyshield Bash (as a tm, it would fit most of the less humanoid Psychic pokémon)
  • Chloroblast (as a tm/tutor, almost every Grass pokémon)
  • Shelter (every pokémon that can learn Withdraw feel like that they have the potential to learn this move)
While technically not signature moves, Wave Crash, Raging Fury and Headlong Rush all feel likely to get distributed to a lot of pokémon.

Kingudora

My favourite
I'm not sure if the Isle of Armor tutor moves will return in SV, but if they become level-up moves, these would be my guesses:
  • Expanding Force - this move is a bit generic, so it fits on most Psychic pokémon. But likely on the pokémon that already learn Psychic Terrain by level-up.
  • Steel Roller - best fit Togedemaru, and maybe the Ferroseed line. I think this might become a level 1 move for some pokémon, like Scolipede and Snorlax
  • Scale Shot - best fit Jangmo-o line, maybe on some other pokémon as well.
  • Meteor Beam - Lunatone, Solrock and Minior are obvious picks, maybe Clefairy line and some others that can learn Cosmic Power.
  • Misty Explosion - Galarian Weezing is an obvious pick, maaaybe Musharna?
  • Grassy Glide - I think the best candidates for this move weren't even in SwSh, Skiddo and Gogoat. But also likely on some pokémon that already learn Grassy Terrain by level-up.
  • Rising Voltage - Another rather generic move, but I can see this on Alolan Raichu, Pincurchin or Regieleki. Also likely on pokémon that already learn Electric Terrain by level-up.
  • Terrain Pulse - It will likely have a similar distribution as Weather Ball, with a few pokémon learning it at level 1. Blastoise and Clawitzer are my most likely picks.
  • Skitter Smack - I feel like the pokémon based on centipedes, Venipede and Sizzlipede lines, are the best fits for this move. But other pokémon based on spiders and caterpillars also fit this move well.
  • Burning Jealousy - Ninetales might be the best fit, but I think Spiritomb and Mimikyu fit the flavour of the move well. Likely as a level 1 move for those pokémon.
  • Lash Out - Tauros, Galarian Zigzagoon line, Sandile line and Morpeko seem like potential candidates for this move. Mankey line, which weren't in SwSh, are also good fits.
  • Poltergeist - Sinistea line and Rotom are obvious picks for this move, even if they don't really benefit from it. Maybe the Yamask families could have this as a level-up move too. Otherwise I think Poltergeist is the most likely move of the IoA tutor moves to become a TM move/remain a tutor move.
  • Corrosive Gas - Salazzle is the obvious pick here, might even be a chance this becomes a signature move for her. But the Koffing and Stunky lines are potential candidates as well.
  • Coaching - Passimian and Cinderace seem like the best fits for this move, since they fit the sport flavour of this move the best. Maybe Poliwrath as well. Likely as a level 1 move for those pokémon.
  • Flip Turn - Oddly enough, I think Golduck is the best fit for this move. I doubt it would be the only pokémon to learn Flip Turn if it would become a level-up move, but I have a hard time guessing what else would. Another likely candidate to become a TM move/remain a tutor move.
  • Triple Axel - This one is really hard to guess. I would say that this move is the most likely of these to remain unavailable by level-up. Otherwise maybe Galarian Mr. Mime and Mr. Rime?
  • Dual Wingbeat - Honestly, I don't know. Basically every pokémon that can learn Wing Attack are good fits for this move. I hope Dragonite and Salamence can have it as a level-up move, since they lack other good Physical Flying moves.
  • Scorching Sands - Another move I feel is hard to guess. But most likely any of the more desert themed pokémon, like the Trapinch line, the Hippopotas line, the Sandile line and the Silicobra line. Sandygast and Pallossand too.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I'm not sure if the Isle of Armor tutor moves will return in SV, but if they become level-up moves, these would be my guesses:
  • Expanding Force - this move is a bit generic, so it fits on most Psychic pokémon. But likely on the pokémon that already learn Psychic Terrain by level-up.
  • Steel Roller - best fit Togedemaru, and maybe the Ferroseed line. I think this might become a level 1 move for some pokémon, like Scolipede and Snorlax
  • Scale Shot - best fit Jangmo-o line, maybe on some other pokémon as well.
  • Meteor Beam - Lunatone, Solrock and Minior are obvious picks, maybe Clefairy line and some others that can learn Cosmic Power.
  • Misty Explosion - Galarian Weezing is an obvious pick, maaaybe Musharna?
  • Grassy Glide - I think the best candidates for this move weren't even in SwSh, Skiddo and Gogoat. But also likely on some pokémon that already learn Grassy Terrain by level-up.
  • Rising Voltage - Another rather generic move, but I can see this on Alolan Raichu, Pincurchin or Regieleki. Also likely on pokémon that already learn Electric Terrain by level-up.
  • Terrain Pulse - It will likely have a similar distribution as Weather Ball, with a few pokémon learning it at level 1. Blastoise and Clawitzer are my most likely picks.
  • Skitter Smack - I feel like the pokémon based on centipedes, Venipede and Sizzlipede lines, are the best fits for this move. But other pokémon based on spiders and caterpillars also fit this move well.
  • Burning Jealousy - Ninetales might be the best fit, but I think Spiritomb and Mimikyu fit the flavour of the move well. Likely as a level 1 move for those pokémon.
  • Lash Out - Tauros, Galarian Zigzagoon line, Sandile line and Morpeko seem like potential candidates for this move. Mankey line, which weren't in SwSh, are also good fits.
  • Poltergeist - Sinistea line and Rotom are obvious picks for this move, even if they don't really benefit from it. Maybe the Yamask families could have this as a level-up move too. Otherwise I think Poltergeist is the most likely move of the IoA tutor moves to become a TM move/remain a tutor move.
  • Corrosive Gas - Salazzle is the obvious pick here, might even be a chance this becomes a signature move for her. But the Koffing and Stunky lines are potential candidates as well.
  • Coaching - Passimian and Cinderace seem like the best fits for this move, since they fit the sport flavour of this move the best. Maybe Poliwrath as well. Likely as a level 1 move for those pokémon.
  • Flip Turn - Oddly enough, I think Golduck is the best fit for this move. I doubt it would be the only pokémon to learn Flip Turn if it would become a level-up move, but I have a hard time guessing what else would. Another likely candidate to become a TM move/remain a tutor move.
  • Triple Axel - This one is really hard to guess. I would say that this move is the most likely of these to remain unavailable by level-up. Otherwise maybe Galarian Mr. Mime and Mr. Rime?
  • Dual Wingbeat - Honestly, I don't know. Basically every pokémon that can learn Wing Attack are good fits for this move. I hope Dragonite and Salamence can have it as a level-up move, since they lack other good Physical Flying moves.
  • Scorching Sands - Another move I feel is hard to guess. But most likely any of the more desert themed pokémon, like the Trapinch line, the Hippopotas line, the Sandile line and the Silicobra line. Sandygast and Pallossand too.
Triple Axel fits Sneasel and Weavile. They can already spin in circles with their arms extended and claws outwards and it’d be a STAB move that isn’t Dark type that can hit even more Pokémon for neutral or super effective damage.

Kingudora

My favourite
Triple Axel fits Sneasel and Weavile. They can already spin in circles with their arms extended and claws outwards and it’d be a STAB move that isn’t Dark type that can hit even more Pokémon for neutral or super effective damage.
It definitely fits them, but personally I think Triple Axel feels more like an egg move for them than a level-up move.

I definitely hope they can keep learning Triple Axel in the upcoming gen in some way, since it is their best Ice-type move other than Icicle Crash.

Luthor

Names-Garchomp
New moves- Dual Wingbeat, Sky Attack, Air Slash, Acrobatics and Steel Wing
Reason- Garchomp is partially inspired by a jet plane and even has dex entries saying "It is said that when one runs at high speed, its wings create blades of wind that can fell nearby trees." and "When it folds up its body and extends its wings, it looks like a jet plane. It flies at sonic speed". Clearly it is a good flier and has a way to generate wind blades and it has what are considered to be wings. Despite this its only flying option is Aerial Ace. If you are going to make such a big deal about it being able a good flier and having wings and generating wind blades it makes sense to me to give it the moves to use those facts in its movepool.

Last edited:

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
Fuecoco: Slash and Fire Fang early.
Lastly Flamethrower should be a level up move and not a a limited TM Move earned very late in the game. They did this with Cinderace and as a result it didn't have a lot of fire moves early. It was only mildy better with libero helping with the move STAB bonuses.

Sprigatito I think Energy Ball should also be available as a level up move into 3rd stage instead of earned as a late TM.

Quaxly Surf should return properly back into the series after being absent from PLA (I don't care if Hydro Pump had better accuracy chances than usual) and having been limited to TR and limited vendors in BDSP

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
I'd think it'd be great if Pyro Ball could be an egg move for Scorbunny as I like the move, but not CIdnerace.

Problem is of the very specific animation for the move that may make it locked to CInderace.

Kingudora

My favourite
I'd think it'd be great if Pyro Ball could be an egg move for Scorbunny as I like the move, but not CIdnerace.

Problem is of the very specific animation for the move that may make it locked to CInderace.
AFAIK, there is a 'generic' version of the animation since other pokémon can use it through Mimic/Copycat/etc.

Names: Unfezant and Sirfetch'd
Moves: Slash (both) and Double-Edge (Unfezant)
Reasons: I think both Unfezant and Sirfetch'd should learn Slash and Unfezant should learn Double-Edge. First, this will probably raise questions because most bird Pokemon can't learn Slash with the exceptions of Rufflet, Braviary (both), and Farfetch'd, but my reason for Unfezant to learn Slash is that Unfezant is capable of learning Night Slash and can also learn Aerial Ace. Also, one of Unfezant's abilities is Super Luck. Next, my reason for Sirfetch'd to learn Slash is that Sirfetch'd is capable of learning Night Slash, Leaf Blade, and Fury Cutter. Finally, my reason for Unfezant to learn Double-Edge is that Unfezant is capable of learning Brave Bird and Giga Impact.
It is actually a bit strange that very few bird pokémon can learn any sort of slashing/cutting moves, despite many of them having prominent talons. I feel like pokémon such as Fearow, Staraptor and Unfezant absolutely should be able to learn Slash, even if only as an egg move.