• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Movesets - Discussion/Speculation Thread

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Toxipex is obviously getting Barb Barrage, I can see Banette getting Bitter Malice (fits its theme of a discarded toy out for revenge), and I can see the Pawniard line getting Stone Axe.

Chris02

Name: Pikachu/Raichu
Move: Knock off
Reasons: I think Pikachu/Raichu should learn Knock off once again in Scarlet/Violet. My reason is that they once learned the move via PtHGSS-USUM move tutors. In order to have the Pokemon with that move in Gen 8, you would have to transfer the Pokemon from earlier games. Plus it would be a useful move for Pikachu/Raichu to learn again as it would give them more utility. The same can be said for any Pokemon from Gens 1-7 that once learned Knock off via PtHGSS-USUM move tutors, but need to be transferred to have the move in their movesets.

Last edited:

Det. Viper

That’s Detective Viper to you
Name: Pikachu/Raichu
Move: Knock off
Reasons: I think Pikachu/Raichu should learn Knock off once again in Scarlet/Violet. My reason is that they once learned the move via PtHGSS move tutor. In order to have the Pokemon with that move in Gen 8, you would have to transfer the Pokemon from the Gen 4 games. Also you would probably have to breed them again because there was no way to guarantee 5 IVs in the Gen 4 games. Plus it would be a useful move for Pikachu/Raichu to learn again as it would give them more utility. The same can be said for any Pokemon from Gens 1-4 that once learned Knock off via PtHGSS move tutor but need to be transferred to have the move in their movesets.
Knock Off was a move tutor from PtHGSS through USUM so the transferring isn’t all that complicated… yet. I recently transferred a Stantler knowing Sucker Punch from my HG file to Home hoping SV allows it in and I can evolve it into Wyrdeer. Sucker Punch is only available as tutor move in PtHGSS so that’s a complicated move to keep.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I have a few specific wants like everyone else but I hope they keep expanding move pools to make up for Pokémon with limited coverage. I’d also want move tutors commonly seen in third versions/remakes to return

Luthor

Golem, Shedinja & Forretress
Move-Shell smash
Reason- These 3 Pokemon are very slow and they all have shells (or are a shell). Sure Shedinja would raise questions lorewise but all 3 haven't had much recently. At the very least it would make them less predictable.

Chris02

Name: Gliscor
Move: Crunch
Reasons: When I was reading through Gliscor's movepool, I noticed that Gliscor can learn Fire Fang, Thunder Fang, and Ice Fang, but can't learn Crunch. I think Gliscor should learn Crunch because Crunch is a move that when used, the user crunches up the foe with its sharp fangs. Gliscor has the sharp fangs to perform the move, and as mentioned earlier in this post it can perform the elemental fangs with those same fangs. Also as you all know, Gliscor is not in Sword/Shield, so it does not get to learn any of the TRs.

Tin-Tin-Alt

Marowak (Kantonian).
Move: Ice Punch.
Reasons: can learn Thunder Punch, Fire Punch and Blizzard, but not Ice Punch.

Also Head Smash would be a good option.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I think Wave Crash will be given to one of the Water Starters (most likely Totodile and Squirtle lines), Gyrados (because of its Dex entries describe it as being destructive and waves can take out buildings if they’re big enough), and Golisopod. Mountain Gale is definitely going to the Snorunt line, Sneasel line, Glaceon, and Snover line. Maybe Frosmoth as well and Crabominable. Victory Dance I don’t think is going to Victini as it really doesn’t need the boosts the move gives as its stats are already good without any boosting moves and Victory Dance V-Create would be broken. I do see Komomo-o, the Cubone line, Scyther, and the Kubfu lines getting it.

Det. Viper

Marowak (Kantonian).
Move: Ice Punch.
Reasons: can learn Thunder Punch, Fire Punch and Blizzard, but not Ice Punch.

Also Head Smash would be a good option.
One would assume that it did get Ice Punch since it has access to Ice Beam, Blizzard and Icy Wind. Even the Alolan form has access to those moves and it’s a fire type.

Luthor

Aerodactyl
Head Smash and Brave Bird
Reason- Aerodactyl doesn't currently get much use out of Rock head and if its Mega evolution ever returns its got very limited STAB options to use with tough claws. I'd say Head Smash is more likely than Brave Bird given other ancient Pokemon like Tyrantrum (which also has Rock head) gets the move and Aerodactyl isn't a bird. But then again if Zubat can learn Brave Bird Aerodactyl seems possible.

Chris02

Name: Parasect
Move: Poison Jab
Reasons: I noticed that Parasect can learn Cross Poison, Poison Powder, and Sludge Bomb, but can't learn Poison Jab. I think Parasect should learn Poison Jab because Parasect can perform Cross Poison using its pincers and it should be able to perform Poison Jab as well. Another reason is that there are other Bug Pokemon that are not Poison-types that can learn Poison Jab. A few examples of those Pokemon are Leavanny, the Dwebble line, the Joltik line, and the Grubbin line.

DatsRight

Poor Sneasel really got its moveset nerfed in Gen 8, it needs a good STAB attack.

Also I'm all for more Meowth marketing (can't tell can ya? :p) but I think they need to at least make the line more competitive for it to mean much, which again means at least one good STAB attack and likely an Attack stat buff like Pikachu and Dugtrio got (come on, we all want Gen 1 level Persian again).

Det. Viper

Poor Sneasel really got its moveset nerfed in Gen 8, it needs a good STAB attack.
Throat Chop isn’t that bad of a move. It did gain Triple Axel which is dangerously powerful when considering STAB and a choice band. But the loss of Knock Off did hurt it slightly.

DatsRight

Throat Chop isn’t that bad of a move. It did gain Triple Axel which is dangerously powerful when considering STAB and a choice band. But the loss of Knock Off did hurt it slightly.
Problem is Throat Chop is still a TM only move, and from what I remember one you can only obtain by chance meeting in the wild area. Triple Axel and Lash Out also require the expansion pack.

Like Feint Attack and Punishment weren't partularly hard hitters, but they gave it SOMETHING in it's natural movepool until you could collect some of the trickier TMs. And I don't know why Icy Wind stayed over Ice Shard. What good is a special attack for a freaking Sneasel? :p

Last edited:

Det. Viper

Problem is Throat Chop is still a TM only move, and from what I remember one you can only obtain by chance meeting in the wild area. Triple Axel and Lash Out also require the expansion pack.
Or through raids. But a Weavile I transferred has both Knock Off and Triple Axel. Great combo.
. What good is a special attack for a freaking Sneasel? :p
In my original game of Platinum I used one for a bit as my Surf user. So… not completely useless

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
Problem is Throat Chop is still a TM only move, and from what I remember one you can only obtain by chance meeting in the wild area.

No chance at all, its available from Watt Traders which can always be found in the same spots and have a set stock on rotate.

Add in the dark type raid dens and you can farm it easily, as with all tms and trs in gen 8

DatsRight

No chance at all, its available from Watt Traders which can always be found in the same spots and have a set stock on rotate.

Add in the dark type raid dens and you can farm it easily, as with all tms and trs in gen 8
Even then, it feels gratuitous that Sneasel got nearly ALL its STAB moves taken out of its natural movepool when Weavile still has tons (it can even relearn Assurance and Ice Shard despite Sneasel losing them).

It felt like a bad attempt to enforce evolution neccessity.

Luthor

Crabominable
Move- Ice Shard or Mach Punch
Reason- Given how slow Crabominable is and how its stats really don't allow it to outspeed much or take hits well and an increased priority move would really help. Mach Punch would work with Iron Fist (and I think suits it better) but either would be an improvement.

PokeMon2.0

Cramorant is too cute for words!
Unfezant line
Moves: Double Kick (Tranquill and Unfezant only), Close Combat (Unfezant only), Wing Attack, Peck, Nasty Plot (to help with the line learning mostly special moves), Play Rough, just any strong physical attacks. Smart Strike and Lash Out too because pheasants are aggressive.
Staraptor
Moves: Revenge, Lash Out, Smart Strike, and Payback because of its aggressive nature, since from the dex entry mentioned, it sounds like Staraptor will fight even to the point of it dying or being severely injured (this is very true with many raptor birds as they will fight to their deaths against other competing predators).
Zebstrika line
Moves: Rising Voltage, Thunder Cage, and Lash Out and Triple Axel
Swanna line
Moves: Calm Mind, Life Dew, Dual Wingbeat, Aqua Jet, Smart Strike, and Payback. Calm Mind because swans are seen as a peace symbol. Smart Strike and Payback and possibly Revenge because swans are known to be super aggressive and territorial and like the raptors on which Staraptor is based on will fight til death. Could also see Swanna in particular learning Esper Wing.
Toucannon
Moves: Dual Wingbeat and Bolt Beak. Bolt Beak well look at the size of its beak. Dual Wingbeat because well other Flying types learn it.
Swellow line
Moves: Dual Wingbeat, Esper Wing. If they don't learn it already Brave Bird.