• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New one here.

Sietse23

*Brainfarts*
Hello, I'm Sietse23 and I'm new in making sprites/fusions.
http://i42.*******.com/kapkzl.jpghttp://i42.*******.com/118145i.jpghttp://oi42.*******.com/25arm8g.jpg
Saved as PNG, I will use that next times
http://i44.*******.com/2rfymv5.png---After the ash man's advice--->
iaza17959021546800.png
iaza17959016509400.png
iaza17959086418200.png
iaza17959029713400.png
iaza17959084283800.png
iaza17959068644300.png
iaza17959099923000.png
iaza17959026804800.png
iaza17959054087500.png
iaza17959081232200.png
iaza17959087601400.png
/
iaza17959010728400.png
iaza17959022522400.png
iaza17959035798400.png
iaza17959055999100.png

More will come soon.

C+C is appreciated.

Last edited:

Bert

Untitled
Hmm, I'm sorry, but it's not good, even for a beginner. I think you should start with the basics for now, and make a few recolors before attempting this again.

The biggest problem I have with it is that you ruined the outline. I don't know how you did it, or why, but the outline shouldn't be anything more than 1 pixel wide (some exceptions put aside). Secondly, the coloring. Part of the tail is green, as well as one tiny part of the bely and a thumb in its left hand. Again, I don't know why you would do that.

Do you sprite using paint? If you use anything else, I advise you to stop that right now and start using paint. Zoom in while you're working, and try to be patient. Start with recoloring. After that, we can talk about attempting fusions again. Please don't be discouraged, though. We're happy with every spriter joining our community, but if you want to improve, we're here to do just that. :)

Edit: also, rating our own threads is not something we do here usually, just kinda part of the etiquette. Thought I'd let you know :)

Last edited:

Cloudeon of the Sky

But call me Sky
I have to agree with Bert.I have more to add myself.

The bottom part of the mouth just merges into the torso. There is no outline seperating it. The right wing is a little of in the middle and flat one the top. Try recoloring and THEN attempt fusions.

Sietse23

*Brainfarts*
Hey guys, I've got a new one and I think it's way better then the other 2:
http://oi42.*******.com/25arm8g.jpg

Cloudeon of the Sky

But call me Sky
I'm not the best rater, but I think it is better. There are still ways to improve, but atl least the outline isn't super wide. I don't know what else to add. I'm a new art critic here. So, I'll leave it at that, and let someone else explain the bad things.

the ash man83

Avid TCG Fan
two things from me.

firstly, the first fusion appears to be saved as a jpeg. the alakazam one also shows up as jpeg in MS Paint. make sure to save as PNG in the future.

secondly, the right side of alakazam's moustache isn't that distinct and just merges with torso imo. there should probably be a definitive outline between the two.

Sietse23

*Brainfarts*
I did nake another 1 and saved it as PNG
Opinions please.
http://i44.*******.com/2rfymv5.png----->
iaza17959021546800.png

two things from me.

firstly, the first fusion appears to be saved as a jpeg. the alakazam one also shows up as jpeg in MS Paint. make sure to save as PNG in the future.

secondly, the right side of alakazam's moustache isn't that distinct and just merges with torso imo. there should probably be a definitive outline between the two.
Thanks for the advice I will save the next ones as PNG

Hmm, I'm sorry, but it's not good, even for a beginner. I think you should start with the basics for now, and make a few recolors before attempting this again.

The biggest problem I have with it is that you ruined the outline. I don't know how you did it, or why, but the outline shouldn't be anything more than 1 pixel wide (some exceptions put aside). Secondly, the coloring. Part of the tail is green, as well as one tiny part of the bely and a thumb in its left hand. Again, I don't know why you would do that.

Do you sprite using paint? If you use anything else, I advise you to stop that right now and start using paint. Zoom in while you're working, and try to be patient. Start with recoloring. After that, we can talk about attempting fusions again. Please don't be discouraged, though. We're happy with every spriter joining our community, but if you want to improve, we're here to do just that.
Thanks for the critiques

Last edited:

Bert

Untitled
It's definitely a big improvement, and I have to apologize for overlooking the .jpg issue. Thanks to Sky for pointing it out :).

Anyway, on your Machoke/Alakazam, the thing bugging me is that it's pretty rough on the edges at some places.I'm talking about the way the left (our left) Alakazam arm is attached, or not fully attached rather, to the body and to the moustache (which Ash also pointed out).

On your newest one this is better already, and I like the way you colored it. The legs seem a bit oddly positioned in your png'd-version (I actually liked the legs from the jpg better, personally :D) but I can live with that. Also it probably does exceed the 90x90 pixel limit I think, but that's only an issue if you let it be, most people won't care. You also missed a spot to make it transparant (inside the arm). If you didn't know how to do that, I suggest you use GIMP after you're done with the spriting work to make it transparant (just add an alpha layer to your basic layer, use the magic wand tool to select everything that needs to be transparized and press delete, then save).

Well, you definitely got it together with your last try, so all I can advise you is to keep practicing, and - especially in the beginning - sticking to the KISS method (Keep It Simple, Silly!). Don't make your stuff overly complicated unless it adds to the value.

Good luck, you're on the right track!

Sietse23

*Brainfarts*
^Thanks, about that transparant, I did gorgot something but in the following sprites you wouldn't see it :).
Got some new ones in the spoiler,
I've made a Ramprados/Articuno with Scyther from LG colours:
iaza17959068644300.png

Bert

Untitled
You've made advancements and some of your ideas are pretty cool (Ghastly's head on Garchomp/Milotic e.g.) but naturally there are still some things you should look out for:

- First off, your designs are somewhat complicated. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. The Weavile with Ho-oH colors and Zapdos wings looks great, but the claws are totally unnecessary and do not add any value to the design. Once again I'd like to refer you to the KISS method: Keep It Simple, Silly. Same goes for that jousting Krookodile thing. Basic idea is pretty good but that Sand-crab's body in the middle of it looks terribly out of place. On your last one, I like the color schemes, but you should not use the same scheme for the entire sprite. I think the whiskers especially shouldn't be red/green because that way they're hard to distinguish and at first I thought they were cables or something. Other than that there are some outline problems (on top of its head, e.g., the fin thingy is dark red but the outline has some green spots, which are weird.

Also, here's a little something for the future to consider:
- You need to bear anatomy and 'material' in mind. Ghastly's head on aforementioned sprite is made out of gas, which means it'll have a darker outline for a dark base color but a lighter outline when the color is light. Therefor, Milotic's color scheme won't suffice to make the head look natural. This is only a very minor problem, though, and I'm just pointing it out for you for future reference.

Hope you've learned a thing or two :)

Bert

Untitled
Pretty cool stuff, the Slowpoke one is great (especially the one with the bush tail)!
On Garchomp the red outline is too light (refer to the red outline in Garchomp's official sprite, on the belly, that's the color it should be) and the wings are somewhat weirdly shaded. However, I think the design on the wings and the overall sprite is effin' G.R.E.A.T.
The swords look kinda...flat thoug, because they're so symmetrical. The Slowpoke/Cranidos' sword is way better.

I like this a lot, it's obviously not ground-breaking or anything but it's solid. Are these WarMon your idea or are they just a new kind of sprite? I've been inactive for quite a while and there's been lots of new types of sprites lately.