• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New OU team, any suggestions?

pkmtrainer

PLEASE READ DESCRIPTIONS BEFORE RATING a certain pokemon. I have been in competitive battling since last summer, so don’t expect an unbeatable team. I am also new to team building and this team was made with a friend, who is also learning.
My team isn’t complete in my game, but it´s basically based around a fully attacker gyarados. In fact in my game I´ve just got gyarados, gliscor and vappy. I haven’t got the others.

TEAM BUILDING:

First, I picked up my gyarados because it can sweep entire teams, it has a natural bulkiness, it´s a good scizor counter, and for some reason, it had become one of my favorite pokemon.
;130;
Then I checked out his counters, and they were bulky waters like vappy or swampert. Porygon 2 was also a problem due to trace copies intimidate and becomes unbeatable for gyarados. So then heatran was a good option for walling this pokemon.
;130; ;485;
Heatran couldn’t deal with all the bulky water, so I added celebi to my team due to bulkiness and a little for power
;130; ;485; ;251;
I needed a good revenge killer, and scizor does this job pretty good
;130; ;485; ;251; ;212;
I noticed that I needed a lead for the team and gliscor was a good one, due to his resistance to electric moves and it can taunt, preventing other slower leads to put entry hazards. Also I didn’t choose swampert because it would have been taunted hundred of times.
;130; ;485; ;251; ;212; ;472;
Gyarados has big weakness to SR, and scizor is getting chipped each time he comes and returns, so wish support was a good idea here. Vappy is one of the best wish passer in the game. This may seem dumb to leave 2 pokemon of the same weakness, but vappy can take care of himself
;130; ;485; ;251; ;212; ;472; ;134;
THE TEAM:
The lead:

gliscor.png

Gliscor @ leftovers
Jolly nature
252 hp / 40 def / 216 spe
~SR
~taunt
~EQ
~u-turn / stone edge
Gliscor works fine as a lead, it can taunt slower pokemon, set SR, do a little of damage with his stab EQ, and then u-turn out. I can´t decide whether to put u-turn or stone edge. U-turn is helpful to attack and switch in the same turn, but stone edge helps me to kill mence and gyara after intimidate has hit someone else. I need to decide which of thess 2 moves Ishould put.
252 hp for resistence, 216 spe is here to be faster than base positive 90 speed like lucario or roserade, and 40 def are for a little of def

heatran.png

Heatran @ leftovers
Timid nature
252 spe / 252 spA / 6 hp
~substitute
~toxic
~fire blast
~earth power
Toxic tran is helpful to stall gyara´s counters, thinking they can come in fireblast, I catch them off guard with sub, and then with toxic. This is pretty helpful to kill swampert, vappy and porygon 2. Sub is here to take the next move (whether it´s surf from vappy or swamp or thunderbolt from P 2), fire blast for stab and earth power for coverage.
The evs are for as fast as you can and as hard-hitter as you can. 6 hp are left out

celebi.png

Celebi @ life orb
Modest nature
232 HP / 244 SpA / 32 Spe
~T-wave
~leaf storm
~HP fire / psychic
~recover
This set is to paralyze fast pokemon, like mence, kingdra without sub…. The point is to paralyze them so that gyarados can be faster than them. Leaf storm for a powerful stab, HP fire for type coverage, but physic would be another powerful stab attack. Recover is here to heal the damage from hits and the recoil of LO. The moveset is sadly walled by heatran and houndoom, so don´t remind me this please xD. The evs can KO a max HP T-tar.

scizor.png

Scizor @ choice band
Adamant nature
252 att / 248 hp / 8 spe
~bullet punch
~super power
~u-turn
~pursuit
Standard scizor, but it´s pretty effective. I can´t decide whether to use LO or CB because with CB, I lose turns switching out, and besides, I wont be mysticgar weak if I run LO. Bullet punch for stab and priority move, super power to OHKO heatran in the switch-in. U-turn to do a escape with damage, and pursuit to hit escaping pokemon, like gengar or latias.
Max att is necessary and almost max hp for bulkiness, and 8 spe to outspeed other scizor

gyarados.png

Gyarados @life orb
Adamant nature
252 att / 252 spe / 6hp
~DD
~waterfall
~EQ
~ice fang
Another standard dragon dance gyarados with standard moveset. Gyarados has a natural bulkiness, so I could invest in att and spe. With one or two DD, it can sweep entire teams if there´s no counters. I almost swept a team with gyara and I saw his destructive potential. I used to have stone edge, but I saw that a little of hax can kill me, like not hitting mence or zapdos can cost me the game.
Max att and spe is necessary in a sweeper like him. With LO, gyara does ~75% damage to the bulkiest zapdos in smogon (248 HP / 228 Def / 32 Spe) with 2 DD without SR (yay!).

vaporeon.png

Vaporeon @ leftovers
Bold nature
252 def/ 188 hp / 68 spA
~wish
~protect
~surf
~ice beam
Vaporeon is one of the best wish passers of the game, and due to gyara´s weakness to SR, I considered on putting him here. Wish is here to provide more time of living for my team, protect to scout what the pokemon will do, and also to take wish´s effect with no damage. Surf for stab move, and Ice beam to kill salamence, since this team can handle other gyarados, so I´m not running HP electric.
252 def is here because it would be easier to take physical hits better, 188 hp for bulkiness and 68 spA to have a little of power. I put the 68 evs in spA instead of in spe because it would be worthless to invest on a stat that got 5 ivs -.- , so I just invested it in spA. If you recommend me to give it HP electric, I´ll kill me because it was too hard to me to breed this poke.

thanks to arkeis for the awesome pics!!
RATE PLEASE, ANY COMMENT IS WELCOMED.

Last edited:

Ontop

Hello pkmntrainer, nice team! To the (short) rate:

First off i don't see how Life orb works best on Celebi(i). Sure Recover can heal up damage taken from it, but with 100 Base HP and almost maxed out EVs you will take huge damage. Instead Leftovers would be a good item to put in this spot. Also i don't like it to be that offensive. I think some of those EVs should be putted in Sp.Def.

Scizor wants Choice band because otherwise you will be left with no revenge killer. I don't see why Heatran is so necessary is this team. Starmie which is a good Gyarados counter is faster and can break the sub on first turn, and then kill on the next turn, same with Gengar.

You have a small weakness to CMLatias. This is one of the reasons i suggest you change Celebi more Sp.Def bulky.

As i have said i don't think Heatran suits your team and you are a bit Latias weak. Also you don't have a revenge killer or a scarfed pokemon(if you don't choose to go with Choice band on Scizor). This is why i suggest a Choice scarf Tyranitar! It's a set that i think have grown in usage this last time and it's actually really nice, take a look:

Spr_b_g4_248.png

Tyranite @ Choice scarf
Jolly nature
EV: 252 Atk 252 Spe 4 Sp.Df

Stone edge
Earthquake
Crunch/Fire punch/Aqua tail
Pursuit

This is a great Latias counter. and take a hit from Starmie as Sandstorm raises hes Sp.Df.

Good luck with the team!

Last edited:

pkmtrainer

First off i don't see how Life orb works best on Celebi(i). Sure Recover can heal up damage taken from it, but with 100 Base HP and almost maxed out EVs you will take huge damage. Instead Leftovers would be a good item to put in this spot. Also i don't like it to be that offensive. I think some of those EVs should be putted in Sp.Def.

Scizor wants Choice band because otherwise you will be left with no revenge killer.

ok thanks, pokemon fixed, but I dont know which spread to give celebi.. I´ll later make one

I don't see why Heatran is so necessary is this team. Starmie which is a good Gyarados counter is faster and can break the sub on first turn, and then kill on the next turn, same with Gengar.

In fact, heatran is one of the most important in the team I´ll explain how:
most of battlers would switch to heatran´s fireblast in to a swampert, vaporeon, gyarados and even porygon 2 due to trace. then I catch them off guard with substitute, and the next turn I poison them, shorting its life, and/or becoming easier to kill

Last edited: