• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Plot - Old Lot! (450)

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Yes, but the other time May was stranded on a Donphan island! And she missed the ferry because of her darling little brother was lost! It was nail-biting for sure.

Anyway, was the location of the GF revealed?

B

Blaziken master

The location will probally be revealed in the next episode by Drew or Vivian.But it may be put in this episode

ChaosMage

Izit cuz I is black?
This looks bloody good, I have to say.

Harley and May cannot be the same age- no way is Harley 10! Maybe it was Caroline...

Anyway, Drew appearing is good, as is Banette's return and the shipping between Cacturne and Jessie. Very nice.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
God, this was an excellent episode. Now I know why I'm starting to like the Contest episodes even more than Ash's Brain battles, the character interactions in this are brillaint! Not to mention the comedy, I had a smile on my face throughout the entire episode.

So much good stuff, I loved how nervous and insecure May was throughout most of the episode. She was really emotional throughout the entire episode, hiding her hand in her face (and the camera gives us a nice crotch shot), and going through her regular girly motions.

Harley and Team Rocket really make an awesome combination. Jessie/Harley is amusing, but Cacturne/Jessie > all! I loved it how they planned to defeat May in this episode, with them messing up May though the microphones and Ariados' string shot.

Cacturne's appeal was great, as was Combusken's. Top notch I'd say, some great animation with May twirling and falling on her butt, nice.

It was also great to see Ash involved more with her arc this time. May asks Ash for a practice battle and they run off together to do a little training before the competition, something they rarely do nowadays. It was also nice to see Ash go upstage and stop Ariados/James/Meowth, although Combusken defeated Ariados by itself, Ash managed to blast them off.

LMAO @ Harley freaking out over Ariados and yelling at James/Meowth. He sure is angry, loved the backstory with May-lookalike too. Oh, and Drew showing up was nice too, even though he didn't really do much. He obviously has all 5 ribbons.

I liked the non-vocal May's theme played, really nice and upbeat.

This really does feel like a mini-Grand Festival, and if this is a preview for things to come in the actual GF competition, then this is sure going to rock!

An almost perfect episode, except for the lack of Harley/James interaction as well as Cacturne/Cacnea. Oh well, maybe the next episode for them.

Last edited:

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
The animation stopped this episode from being perfect in my opinion. I really tried my best to ignore it, but I just couldn't. It sucked major ass, with FAR too many freakishly off-model shots and poorly executed movements for my liking. With hindsight, I wish they had considered having Iwane work on this episode, instead of the failure of a comedy ep that was last week's Sudowoodo romp.
Though I will say this. I'm not one for the appearance of attacks constantly altering. But my word, Noctus-chan’s rendition of Needle Arm kicks Cacnea’s weedy little rotating limb attack to the curb.

But otherwise? it was still a great watch.
They've been blatantly overusing Harley throughout the Battle Frontier trek, but I don't give a crap. Thus far, he hasn't failed to impress and I don't think he will for a long time to come. Straight off the bat (And I use the term 'straight' lightly...) he poured on the charm. The whole 'Oops! I 'accidentally' dropped my ribbon case' charade, the overly effeminate poses and the limp wrists. It was all a wonderful display of why this character is so god damn awesome. And there was his reaction to his oh-so-precious Ariados-chan being burnt to a crisp. Lovely stuff that, just lovely :p

I also enjoyed how sinister Team Rocket turned out this time around. I mean, we had the occasional scene of comic hi-jinks (the flaming Ariados...naturally *rimshot*), but otherwise their performance was pretty much spot on. Especially that of Jessie.
But of course, their comic rountines were great fun too. Noctus-chan crushing on Jessie was gut busting stuff to be sure.

Combusken's appeal kicked so much rear it's just not funny. Screw Squirtle and it's bs ice sculptures, and to hell with Munchlax and it's...whatever the hell it does. That one fire tornado spat all over the other performances we saw, and the instrumental of 'I won't lose!' only served to make it all the more appealing. Combusken is where it's at, for both appeals and battles.
Speaking of which. The scene near the beginning of the episode involving the sparring match between Ash and Haruka provided a much-needed slice of Haruka training time. We need to see more practise matches between the two in the future, as seeing little tid-bits like that make Haruka seem a much more respectable pokémon trainer.

If next week's episode turns out to be as good as this, despite obnoxious Squirtle usage, methinks I'll have to christen this as one of, if not the best Contest stop-off yet.

CyberCubed said:
Cacturne's appeal was great, as was Combusken's. Top notch I'd say, some great animation with May twirling and falling on her butt, nice.
Well, of course. That's because most of it was stock footage from one of Tokuda's episodes :p

Dark Cacturne

The Road To Victory!
Haha, this episode is full of action and fun! And finally: Cacturne makes a new appearece, he did a good job this time. Its actually cool when Jessie controls cacturne. I feel sorry for ariados when he got burned by Combuskens flamethrower. But next episode, its banette his turne, it is been a long time...

OverClockedZero

No effin you, Kirby
I dont get how in the flashback (I think it should be), Harley looked young, and May did too. They looked the same age... Yet now, May is around 11ish (C'mon, she cant be 10 forever, cant she? So I'm guessing she's around 11), and Harley is what, 19? Did Harley just age faster or something?

Jo-Jo

blows stuff uhup
^^;; I wonder how many more times that question is going to be asked in this thread? ;)

The girl in Harley's flashback was not May. She was just somebody who looked a lot like her.

PDL

disenchanted
perhaps Harley was making the whole thing up.

it wouldn't be completely out of character to invent a story with a May-lookalike to gain the rocket's sympathy.

The Doctor

Absolute Beginner
Maybe that's one of the five (I think it's five anyway, at the last count) reasons why Harley holds a grudge against May.

1. She didn't know about Harley's signature Pokemon, Cacturne.

2. She said that Cacturne was "so cool it's scary".

3. Harley took it as an insult that she said his cookies "weren't half bad".

4. I quote from A Cacturne For The Worse: "Hey, let's face it, you're not serious about Contests, you're just here to play around. Hello?" Harley disses Haruka-chan as inexperienced and winning only through luck.

NEW! 5. Because of a girl that looks like May ate his last bit of sushi, Harley blames May.

But hey, it could just be like PDL said and be a ploy to gain Rocketto-Dan's sympathy.

Jack Of Blades said:
Maybe that's one of the five (I think it's five anyway, at the last count) reasons why Harley holds a grudge against May.

1. She didn't know about Harley's signature Pokemon, Cacturne.

2. She said that Cacturne was "so cool it's scary".

3. Harley took it as an insult that she said his cookies "weren't half bad".

4. I quote from A Cacturne For The Worse: "Hey, let's face it, you're not serious about Contests, you're just here to play around. Hello?" Harley disses Haruka-chan as inexperienced and winning only through luck.

NEW! 5. Because of a girl that looks like May ate his last bit of sushi, Harley blames May.

But hey, it could just be like PDL said and be a ploy to gain Rocketto-Dan's sympathy.
The first four i'm pretty sure were dub add ons, like I don't think original Harley would hate May for not knowing Cacturne >_>;;

Then again thats just my opinion.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Jo-Jo said:
The girl in Harley's flashback was not May. She was just somebody who looked a lot like her.

It's hard to believe that there is another girl in the world with the same hair style as May. It's almost like her trademark, its unthinkable of another brunette walking around with her hair like that! :eek:

I wonder if she became a looker though, especially since she'll be like May but at 19ish years old, and damn she must be breathtaking.

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
This episode was awesome!

*Harley already has three ribbons.
*Their was a awesome BGM I don't hear alot when Ash and May were battling, I think it is from the games.
*Harley's lunchbox had Octillery on it, and he called the octopus snack "Octan-chan"
*Cacturne seems to have a crush on Jessie and jumped up and hugged her.
*Drew is in this episode, but has like no lines.
*Cacturne has a awesome appeal. he cuts a Onion with his spikes, and looks cool doing it.
*Ariados messes up Combushken's appeal, until Combushken does a huge fire attack, which makes Ariados on fire, and James tries to put it out.lol.
*Their is a karaoke version of Haruka's Theme.

I swear it sounded like James said "Sensei Queer" (No offense to anyone) after HArley walked out angrily at the end.

ghost master

the kawaiist thing
*Harley already has three ribbons.
He has all 5 ribbons.

Anyway as others stated good episode. Although one question how come Cacnea always hurts James when it hugs him but when Cacturne hugs her shes fine?

Torchic23

gee that's swell
Wow what a great episode. This is my new favorite! Besides the animation, this may be one of the best episodes ever!

I loved that Drew made an appearence and I'm hoping this appearence leads to something good. Harley is so funny, I can't believe he likes Jessie and his Pokemon like her too. He's gonna let her use Banette, this should be good.

Poor May though. Jessie might actually be good with Banette, it sure looked like it. Maybe Drew will let her borrow Flygon then? I wish, but she's using Squirtle. The whole flash back thing was really friggen' weird....

Last edited:

Flamez

Elite 4 Champion
Seen the episode and cant really say anything that hasnt been said already (damn you people lol). But i want to give my opinion and extend on gravy and v factions thoughts.

Have to agree with gravy about the animation, it wasn't good. The characters looks really off at times, when ash is sitting down with pikachu, take a look at pikachu's head that thing shrinked like crazy,lol. And what gravy said about combuskens appeal being probably the best so far is something i have to agree with, cuz i like combusken and for TR to be messing it up at first and then it came back and still put on a show was amazing specially the fire tornado and that one flame swirling in the air to get ariados. (poor ariados, it was funny how james was trying to cool off the fire)

And what V said about combusken proving that it is may's best pokemon is damn true, no one is better.
Chibi Harley was just adorable and so was the may look alike.
Overall i give it a 9/10.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
The flashback, whether actually true or not, was adorable. 'May' and Harley were drawn very cutely there (wait.....did I just call Harley cute? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!) and Harley's evil plotting with Team Rocket was funny too.

This is one contest I'm actually looking forward to seeing dubbed.....

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Torky Stu said:
The first four i'm pretty sure were dub add ons, like I don't think original Harley would hate May for not knowing Cacturne >_>;;

Afraid you're wrong on that, as information on the episode said the same thing long before the dub version came. Harley's a wacky guy, so it fits quite well that he'd be upset that somebody would not only not know what his beloved Cacturne was but would also find it a bit creepy.

Geodude

PDL said:
perhaps Harley was making the whole thing up.
Indeed he was. It was an overly dramatic sob story purely intended to get TR to go along with him. James and Meowth were skeptical, but Jessie totally bought into it.
Torky Stu said:

And your opinion is wrong. :p The dub really doesn't change things that much or often. Those were all in the original.
Flamez said:
and that one flame swirling in the air to get ariados.
It wasn't in the air. It ran along one of the weblines.