• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Plot - Old Lot! (450)

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
XD @ Cacturne falling for Jessie. Being with Harley that whole time must have seriously lowered its standards. Ragarding that fantasy, we probably need a solid translation to determine whether or not it was just a story Harley was making up (Harley has got to be at least 10 years older than May). Harley freaking out over Ariados being blasted off with james and Meowth was also a riot.

There were some peculiar musical cues in this not used often, particularly during the brief training session (I swear that sounds familiar, but I don't remember when it was last used in the anime) and the beginning of May's appeal. I really like the non-vocal version of "I Won't Lose", and hope it's used more often. Kicks the crap out of the vocal version (Which I only didn't mind the first one time I heard it. I mean, it has a great rhythm. I just think it's poorly-sung.). As for the animation, there were times when it seemed like they were trying to mimic the better animation teams by adding thick lines and facial shadows. They failed.

Alfonso

Derpgull
Geodude said:
Indeed he was. It was an overly dramatic sob story purely intended to get TR to go along with him. James and Meowth were skeptical, but Jessie totally bought into it.

...Indeed he was? Not meaning to be rude, but what evidence do you have to back up this firm claim?

Aldrius

Orange Champion
Wow. I might actually go to the trouble of watching this episode.

I wonder if Harley will have any new pokemon next episode. He needs more! MORE I say!

I must say I love villain team-ups. They're just too fun. Plus lil' Harley is cute. Plus uh... he has cute pokemon? @_@

Alfonso

Derpgull
Geodude said:
The overly dramatic music, and James and Meowth's skeptical reactions.

That's not really evidence, just your opinion and view of the scene. To outright say 'Yes, he was lying/making it up' isn't really justified since none of us can be certain.

Geodude

Well I'm confident enough that were I to start writing the guide for this episode, that's how I'd write that scene. And I'm not prone to making major mistakes like that in guide writing.

Last edited:

Lil Brother

Just kinda there.
Since everyone else has already said everything, I may as well point out some of the more bizzare off-character models. During the first scene when Harley shows up, everyone's heads are too big. XD And then Pikachu is smaller and has a completely different face than usual while th group is in the stands.

And yay, Ash seems to be getting more involved with May's contest instead of running away to train Swellow or Snorunt.

ArrEmmDee

The mini-Harley lunch scene was the cutest thing ever.

Otherwise, I dunno if it's just reading the speculation thread about the fact a weak animation team was doing this episode, but I was seriously distracted by the poor quality of the art-- Brock and Jessie's hair, and Drew in general come to mind.

Anyway, so far my theory about the TR disbandment episode being a result of Jessie flipping out because James and Meowth screw up this Grand Festival plan seems to be panning out as I figured it would.

The preview for next episode totally confused me.

Medea

Excalibur
I just saw the episode a couple of hours ago but I did love it!

It had Harley! There was a Drew cameo! I'm super satisfied here!

That little scene with Harley as a young kid was just so adorable. But for the most part it was really a good episode!

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
Does anyone know what those octopus-shaped treats are? I see them in anime quite a bit, but don't quite know what they are. Carved plums or something?

I'm with Geodude, I think Harley was just making up crap. I get the feeling that if they were really trying to show Harley's past, they'd give us some good indication as to what he has against the usage of "kamo".

Anyway, I may just be copying off everyone else, but in spite of the animation, it was a great episode. Harley never fails to amuse, once again (I'm surprised no one brought up the way he first appeared to Musashi by kinda sliding into the background XD). And I'm not very big on Shuu, but his appearance in the middle of the episode did come off as a surprise, and with the preview, he looks to have some promising interaction with Harley.

Oh, for the people that asked, the music playing when Haruka's practicing against Satoshi was an anime remix of the Champion Road theme from the games. And the reason Haruka had those flashbacks of Shuu and Harley was because, assuming that Shuu has his ribbons already, and she saw that Harley already got all of them, she has to win this contest if she wants to compete against them in the Grand Festival.

Kojiro said:
I swear it sounded like James said "Sensei Queer" (No offense to anyone) after HArley walked out angrily at the end.

Kojirou was saying "Sensei kowai!" (Sensei's scary).

Last edited:

Geodude

Yamato-san said:
Does anyone know what those octopus-shaped treats are?
Octillery-shaped treats, to be specific. :p At least in this case. I distinctly heard "Octan" when they were on-screen. And besides, this is the Pokemon world. :p *insert first-season real-world animal/fish objection here* Yeah I know, but that was the first season, it hasn't really happened since.

V Faction

www.faction.com
Geodude said:
Octillery-shaped treats, to be specific. :p At least in this case. I distinctly heard "Octan" when they were on-screen. And besides, this is the Pokemon world. :p *insert first-season real-world animal/fish objection here* Yeah I know, but that was the first season, it hasn't really happened since.
They can call 'em Cthulhu Treats for all I care! Just what are they?

Fizban

Propaniacs
I want to say they are hot dogs, but eating wasn't really something I was doing during my trip to Japan (barring green tea ice cream).

What a great episode. The appeal Koffing did by forming the gas into the four card suits was really cute. I kind of wanted to see what that Bellsprout was going to do ^^;

sCiZoR_2006

Cascade Trainer
S.Suikun said:
There were some peculiar musical cues in this not used often, particularly during the brief training session (I swear that sounds familiar, but I don't remember when it was last used in the anime) and the beginning of May's appeal. I really like the non-vocal version of "I Won't Lose", and hope it's used more often.

They've used the music from when Ash and May were practice battling before in the Japanese version (don't know if it stuck with the dub or not). It's from R/S/E (the BGM which plays while you're battling the Elite 4).

The BGM that played when May started her appeal comes from R/S/E, too. It's the BGM music that plays when you journey through Team Aqua's base next to Lilycove City. I particularly liked this one...wish it was played longer.

I've noticed that a lot of the BGM from the games are composed well for the anime (especially the Pokemon Contest's main theme).

And just to say, I HATE "I Won't Lose". It sounds too "punk rockish" to me.

KuwabaraTheMan

Thunder Trainer
Good episode. Harley's story was a hilarious scene, and Wakashamo's appeal was awesome.

I was pleasantly surprised to see Shuu show up. Next episode should be a great final contest, and it looks like we'll get to see Shuu actually do something aside from looking cool, so this two parter is off to a great start.

Harley and Musashi are hilarious together.

Chatsy

Perverted Ash fan
Can anyone tell what was going on between Haruka and Musashi when they talked together in the lobby before they were to make their appeals?
And what Haruka was thinking after everybody else in the room stared/glared at them, where she afterwards started smiling and giggling which provoked Musashi?

It was funny when Musashi imitated the giggling when it cut to the commercials, and then she said something XD

Also, what did Satoshi tell Haruka when they sat at the table talking at the start of this episode?

I ask too much, yes I do.

Thriller

Its almost time
I've had this ep since Friday but just now watched it.

Ok, the scene with young Harley in it and young Haruka appearing is BS. Haruka is about 11 and Harley is atleast in his 20's. Was I missing something? I don't understand Japanese y'know.

The whole situation with Harley is begining to get hillarious. Harley isn't even participating in this contest yet he is still getting smacked down by Haruka. I thought that was an excellent appeal with Fire Spin and the Spider Webbing.

No Tanne (Octillery)? Rats, Harley, please use Tanne again. I miss it.

Dammit Drew when are you going to be in a contest? He hasn't been in one since the whole arc started. Oh well, surely he'll be in the GF.

Juputoru

M-m-m-m-onobear?!
-Did I hear James call Harley "Noctas man" when he slid in? XD
-Harley's "flashback" scene was so much BS and yet so in-character XD The man has shown how much of a grudge he can hold over little things, after all. And child Harley is the most adorable thing ever. :D As is his lunch ^o^
-Combusken finally gets more Contest spotlight. Horrah.
-They may be overusing Harley this saga, but if his eps keep being this awesome, I don't care!
-The pictures of the advacing coordinators popped up like normal...until they got to Haruka's, when there was a sudden dramatic pause. Riiiight.
-"I Won't Lose" feels so RIGHT after seeing this ep.