• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Pokémon/Formes Discussion & Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
^Taodragon has been the supporter of that idea.

You rang?

is there a non-broken link, or

Midday

When Rockruff is bathed in profuse amounts of solar energy, it evolves into its Midday Form. In the world of Pokémon Sun, Solgaleo’s influence causes Rockruff to evolve into this form.

Midnight

When Rockruff is bathed in an abundance of lunar energy, it evolves into its Midnight Form. In the world of Pokémon Moon, Lunala’s influence causes Rockruff to evolve into this form.

So yeah, the legendaries are supposed to influence their evolution, thus why Rockruff can only evolve into one or the other depending on the version regardless of whether it's daytime in Moon or Nighttime in Sun. Thus, it stands to reason to believe that Necrozma is similarly influencing Dusk form just like with the other two Lycanrocs.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
that reads less like Word of God and more like ad-hoc justification of for existing version differences

I thought we had something in-game

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
You rang?

Midday

Midnight

So yeah, the legendaries are supposed to influence their evolution, thus why Rockruff can only evolve into one or the other depending on the version regardless of whether it's daytime in Moon or Nighttime in Sun. Thus, it stands to reason to believe that Necrozma is similarly influencing Dusk form just like with the other two Lycanrocs.

Actually, it still needs to be night for Rockruff to evolve in Moon, and day for it to evolve is Sun. Still, the point stands. Dusk Form needs something more than a time of day to evolve, like Necrozma's influence (or possibly the influence of Necrozma enhanced Solgaleo/Lunala) or some sweet, sweet Ultra Space radiation.

that reads less like Word of God and more like ad-hoc justification of for existing version differences

This is all canon, dude. It may not be in any in-game Dexentries, but it is still applies to the lore of the games.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst

Can't it be both? The profiles on the site are essentially extended Pokedex entries as they describe other notable aspects of the Pokémon, so there's no reason to doubt that the legendaries have an influence on the different forms. It also doubles as a reason to make us hunt for version exclusive forms, just like how GF wants it.

Actually, it still needs to be night for Rockruff to evolve in Moon, and day for it to evolve is Sun. Still, the point stands. Dusk Form needs something more than a time of day to evolve, like Necrozma's influence (or possibly the influence of Necrozma enhanced Solgaleo/Lunala) or some sweet, sweet Ultra Space radiation.

My point was you can't evolve Rockruff into Midnight in Sun nor can you evolve it into Midday in Moon, only with the influence of one particular legendary can you evolve it into one of those forms.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Really.

This aren't anime facts. This came from the official website of the games.

it's vaguely worded, not backed up anywhere else, and was put out before the game's release, when it wasn't known that the existing forms aren't really exclusive anyway, which pokes something of a major hole in that factoid

color me skeptical, I guess

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
it's vaguely worded, not backed up anywhere else, and was put out before the game's release, when it wasn't known that the existing forms aren't really exclusive anyway, which pokes something of a major hole in that factoid

The thing is, the alternate version's Lycanroc form is only available in the Alternate World, in which the opposing Legendary is found (I mean, they can't be caught, at least they are around long enough to help make a cosmic poot baby).

Taodragon

Training Anaylst

How is it vaguely worded though? It pretty much blatantly says "this legendary influences this Lycanroc form", it's pretty straightforward in what it means.

Also, it should be noted that the only area where you can find both is where the Altar leading into the other legendary's world is and you can't find them anywhere else, and before you say "GF doesn't do lore like that", SM has a lot of little quirks like that such as Bagon being easier to find at the bottom of a cliff then at the top of it and Sableye stalking innocent Carbinks.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
They're both in both worlds, just time of day exclusive

I'm pretty sure the website is just justifying the evolution exclusivity through misleading wording (the world of Sun is under Solgaleo's influence, etc) and they'll retcon whatever based on availability, imo

Rio!

Composer
I'd imagaine it would mean something since a player is locked from simply evolving Rockruff at night in Sun and daytime in Moon. I'm sure it means absolutely nothing. Really.
/s

Last edited:

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
They're both in both worlds, just time of day exclusive

I'm pretty sure the website is just justifying the evolution exclusivity through misleading wording (the world of Sun is under Solgaleo's influence, etc) and they'll retcon whatever based on availability, imo

You're right about that first part. My mistake. I am very tired right now o_O

And yes, it's an excuse used to explain version exclusivity, but that doesn't mean it doesn't carry weight. Something can be used to explain away plot inconsistencies AND be used to establish important lore. The two don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Anyhoo, back on topic, and in regard to actually vague wording, I'm curious about this "light from another world influencing Pokemon". I'm hoping that this means more Alola Forms, since we only got 18, only 10 of which were fully evolved. I'm also a bit disappointed that we finally got a new regional Dex with the Shellos line in it, and yet they didn't get a new form, but that's just a personal pet peeve, and I don't expect them to get one in USUM.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Functionally, it's whatever

Lorewise, it seems spurious to extend that quote to the origination of the forms themselves or whatever, in that "influence" is a vague way of putting it and the quote in question is intended to address functionality ingame

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
What I'm most interested in is this Rockruff distribution. Ever since X and Y, Game Freak has been handing out day one event Pokémon with some sort of exclusive factor. X and Y had the Torchic with Blazekin's Mega Stone, the only way to get it in X and Y. Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire had the Shiny Beldum with the Metagross Mega Stone. While this wasn't the only way to get Mega Metagross, the shiny part added some exclusivity to it. Then Sun and Moon had the Munchlax with the Snorlax Z-Crystal, which was exclusive. This Rockruff could very well be a special one that meets extremely specific requirements to evolve into Dusk Lycanroc. They did say that Rockruff will only evolve into Dusk Form under special conditions. The other possibility I see is an exclusive Z-Crystal. Of course, that's just some speculation. This could easily be more along the line of the Shiny Beldum, or even be something else entirely.

Functionally, it's whatever

Lorewise, it seems spurious to extend that quote to the origination of the forms themselves or whatever, in that "influence" is a vague way of putting it and the quote in question is intended to address functionality ingame

But what would be the point of saying it if it didn't mean anything? If anything, I would say this is more solid lore than the Pokédex descriptions, given how weird those can be. There's nothing particularly crazy about. It actually makes perfect sense.

Last edited:

Tsukuyomi56

Sky High Knight
Tough Claws looks pretty decent on Dusk Lycanroc though it is a shame Accelrock is the only STAB move that Lycanroc learns that takes advantage of it for now. Fingers crossed that the event distribution is not the only to get a Dusk Lycanroc in the game (or at the very least a Wi-Fi event).

Luthor

Like above I think this new form at the least has a potentially fun ability. I just hope it gets the right moves to take advantage of it. Accelrock is always welcome but I hope it also avoids the Mega Aerodactyl situation and gets a powerful STAB move that it can use with tough claws. Something like Head smash. I also hope as a consequence the other Lycanroc forms get a movepool upgrade.

Last edited:

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Solid rock, or tough claws I could see on it.

It'd be cool if the green rays are somehow connected to UltraSpace and he gains the Beast Boost ability that way.

Huh, whoever said that Dusk would get the ability Tough Claws was right on the money. So it can hit hard it seems. Now the question is what are it's stats. If it has tough claws it might have a higher attack stat than the other two.

Go me!

You're right about that first part. My mistake. I am very tired right now o_O

And yes, it's an excuse used to explain version exclusivity, but that doesn't mean it doesn't carry weight. Something can be used to explain away plot inconsistencies AND be used to establish important lore. The two don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Anyhoo, back on topic, and in regard to actually vague wording, I'm curious about this "light from another world influencing Pokemon". I'm hoping that this means more Alola Forms, since we only got 18, only 10 of which were fully evolved. I'm also a bit disappointed that we finally got a new regional Dex with the Shellos line in it, and yet they didn't get a new form, but that's just a personal pet peeve, and I don't expect them to get one in USUM.

I'm thinking Mimikyu will be debuted an episode after the new Lycanroc episode. And then maybe next month they'll do another one or two releases of new pokemon.

Lykouros

Sandslash fan
Yeah, I though it was just the Green Flash that sunsets have. Then again it has been said that Lycanroc's two forms were influenced by the legendaries, so what's influencing this?

The green flash only lasts one or two seconds, at least in real life. In the anime it seemed to go on for a while? However I'm not sure how accurate they're trying to keep it.

R_N

I wonder if they might sack some of the attack stat and the speed stat and make a properly bulky version of lycanroc
just completely invalidate midnight form.

Dragon Pulse

Apparently the blue text boxt says this:

"A new form is started!!
A light that comes from another place is affecting some Pokemon in the new Alola!"

Does anyone think Decidueye, Incineroar and Primarina could be getting new forms? I've been wishing for it!

Status
Not open for further replies.