• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Pokémon/Formes Discussion & Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

World Turtle

Reposting from the general thread: If Johto Pokemon are getting Alola Forms then you can bet Octillery will be among them. In Hawaii there are two species of Octopus called the Day Octopus and the Night Octopus. That is just to perfect to ignore.

I'm thinking Water/Psychic (Day) and Water/Ghost (Night).

Luthor

I'm guessing there will be more regional forms this time than in the sun and moon. Personally I think Gastrodon will get one (or possibly 2) given it's pokedex entries "Experiments are being conducted to discover what happens when a Gastrodon is raised in a location other than the sea where it was born." and "Plankton, invisible to the naked eye, is its main food source. It comes onto the land periodically, but the reason for this is not known."

Last edited:

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
I'm thinking these are the Solgaleo and Lunala UB forms that they had before they turned into normal pokemon

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
What if Necrozma is just another evolution of Cosmoem?

The mechanic of how Cosmoem evolves into Necrozma should've been datamined back then.
It's like saying that Luvdisc actually evolves into Alomomola in B2W2.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I know it's one hell of a stretch, but it would be nice if USM got 20 or 30 more new pokemon. Just a nice addition.

Darthleapyous

I want more Ultra Beasts, and a greater exploration of Ultra Space as well as non-Kanto regional variants.

Bus

I know it's one hell of a stretch, but it would be nice if USM got 20 or 30 more new pokemon. Just a nice addition.

Brand new pokemon is kind of unlikely, but there's a decent chance that more regional variants will show up. Gotta be ready for the day we find out that there's nothing new other than Necronaala and Necrogeo, too, though.

BCVM22

Brand new pokemon is kind of unlikely, but there's a decent chance that more regional variants will show up

Regional variants are distinct Pokémon with different appearances, stats, typings and movepools relative to their counterparts - despite the relationship, they aren't just forms. Entirely new Pokémon and new Alolan variants are prohibitive for the same reason.

Leosnake

It is funny you should mention the 20 number. I know PokeJungle isn't always the best source but in this case I am more referring to the game journalist Laura Dale.

Firstly she wasn't the one who said Pokemon Stars (which I took to be it's code name and she also stated that it was). Would be on the switch and secondly she also said that there might be 20 new ones.

Seeing how Itech Post also picked up this part of the story (the 20 new Pokemon bit) and seeing how there was as Serebii themselves found out a technical error. Putting the TBA of the switch on the official US and UM page. Which has since been removed. And Laura got the info from a ask me anything where the code name of Pokemon Stars, which we now know to be US and UM.

I think it is safe to say that there is still a chance that this 20 figure could still be correct as in my mind it is independent of the whole Switch incident.

If we are also to assume the Alternate story might take place in the future. depending how far into the future could also give an explanation as to why any new Alolan forms were not seen in the previous Sun and Moon.

So personally I think the new Pokemon will be Pokemon from previous generations not found in the original Sun and Moon games as well as new Alolan forms. I highly doubt they will be completely new Pokemon from scratch though.

Maybe new hope for water Arcanine :p

Edit:

Regional variants are distinct Pokémon with different appearances, stats, typings and movepools relative to their counterparts - despite the relationship, they aren't just forms. Entirely new Pokémon and new Alolan variants are prohibitive for the same reason.

Different appearances yes. But same 3d skeleton model to work with. Plus for them to get these games ready for announcement about 7 months after the release of the Current Sun and Moon they would have to have been working on these ones along side them.

Last edited:

Grey Wind

Different appearances yes. But same 3d skeleton model to work with. Plus for them to get these games ready for announcement about 7 months after the release of the Current Sun and Moon they would have to have been working on these ones along side them.

It's about compatibility with SM, not the work they would have to put in. If they introduced new Alolan forms they wouldn't be compatible with any other games, so they'd have to ban them from being traded/battled with online or something.

Leosnake

It's about compatibility with SM, not the work they would have to put in. If they introduced new Alolan forms they wouldn't be compatible with any other games, so they'd have to ban them from being traded/battled with online or something.

Maybe though didn't we go through a similar thing with Mega forms? What with the new ones that were introduced in ORAS? They found away around that and could do the same for new Alolan forms.

Leosnake

Making SuMo completely incompatible with US/UM would solve the issues, no?

Again maybe? I doubt it though. I think what we need to consider as I said before is how far into the future these games will be set. Also correct me if I am wrong but wasn't it also the case that Giratina's Origin form could only be used in Platinum despite being the same gen as Diamond and Pearl? Along with my previous example of new Mega forms?

BCVM22

as well as new Alolan forms. I highly doubt they will be completely new Pokemon from scratch though.

They're the same thing as far as the game is concerned.

It's a matter of compatibility with Sun/Moon. Again, Alolan formes are essentially distinct and separate Pokémon from their counterparts. They aren't just transformations triggered with an item or a move. That's the issue. They are basically separate Pokémon.

Maybe though didn't we go through a similar thing with Mega forms? What with the new ones that were introduced in ORAS? They found away around that and could do the same for new Alolan forms.

As Mega Evolutions are merely in-battle forms of existing Pokémon, that was easy - don't allow certain items (OR/AS Mega Stones) into the linked play features. Can't do that with an Alolan Pokémon because, again, they are distinct, separate Pokémon.

That would be intensely awkward and run counter to everything about the franchise. They'll refrain from introducing any content that can't be filtered out, nine different ways, before they'd come to that as the tenth option.

Last edited:

Akashin

Again maybe? I doubt it though. I think what we need to consider as I said before is how far into the future these games will be set. Also correct me if I am wrong but wasn't it also the case that Giratina's Origin form could only be used in Platinum despite being the same gen as Diamond and Pearl? Along with my previous example of new Mega forms?

Any case of forms being introduced later in a Generation has resulted in them being exclusive to that game (and whatever comes after, in the case of Giratina-O and HGSS), with the exception of Mega Lati@s due to them being in the coding for XY. Giratina-O, Black/White Kyurem, Keldeo Resolute Forme, etc. were all exclusive to their later games.

Out of curiosity, what would the timeline placement of these games have to do with anything? BW2 being two years past BW had no bearing on anything, if that's what you were getting at.

Grey Wind

They just banned the mega stones, though, which is a lot more straightforward than having to ban ~5-10 different families. Like, there are probably ways around the compatibility issue but I just don't think it's particularly likely.

Well... yeah, but I think it's safe to say that that won't happen.

Last edited:

.Aerodactyl.

Here's a thought...what about patching SuMo to recognize the new forms? I mean, at the very least there is gonna be some new Solgaleo and Lunaala forms and probably some new moves.

Like, I'm not saying there absolutely has to be new Alolan forms but I think it's a strong possibility. The Pokémon Bank does a lot to help with storing and sending Pokémon forward, for one. We are on new technology with new possibilities. I think they know the biggest selling point of any new Pokémon game is new Pokémon, so it might be in there best interest to consider it. It might be too difficult, or too exclusive or whatever and never happen, but I'm not ready to rule it out completely yet.

Last edited:

Akashin

Here's a thought...what about patching SuMo to recognize the new forms? I mean, at the very least there is gonna be some new Solgaleo and Lunaala forms and probably some new moves.

There's nothing saying they can't, but if they didn't patch XY for ORAS I can't imagine why they will now.

Pokemon Power

What if Necrozma is just another evolution of Cosmoem?

That's what I predicted.

Anyways, by new Pokemon that were not in Sun and Moon, I think they mean Alolan forms of classic Pokemon. I did some research and found that including the Island Scan Pokemon, there are 386 Pokemon (the same amount as the total in Generation III) obtainable in both Sun and Moon alone. So they probably wanna expand on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.