• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Pokémon/Formes Discussion & Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

.Aerodactyl.

Now that they don't seem to be opposed to adding new Pokémon mid-gen, and they teased a fossil park in Sumo, do you think it's possible that Usum might get it's own fossil Pokémon? I know Hawaii doesn't have a lot of fossils natively but I could see them doing it anyway. I'd love something with a unique type combo, like rock/electric and rock/fighting. (I realize those aren't completely unique, but I'd like to see the combo on a Pokémon that wasn't a legendary/Ultra Beast). Perhaps a Rock/Poison modeled after the Titanoboa?

ShadowForce720

Now that they don't seem to be opposed to adding new Pokémon mid-gen, and they teased a fossil park in Sumo, do you think it's possible that Usum might get it's own fossil Pokémon? I know Hawaii doesn't have a lot of fossils natively but I could see them doing it anyway. I'd love something with a unique type combo, like rock/electric and rock/fighting. (I realize those aren't completely unique, but I'd like to see the combo on a Pokémon that wasn't a legendary/Ultra Beast). Perhaps a Rock/Poison modeled after the Titanoboa?

hmm, not sure maybe, it's tough to say.

Bus

Who here thinks Necrozma is Kyurem 2.0?

I mean, seriously, it's shaping up to be in an almost identical situation to BW2.

Hopefully, there'll be something to differentiate Dusk Wings and Dusk Mane Solagaleo and Lunala from their regular forms (I mean like an ability or move).

I think it's closer to Cell more than anything. Kyeurem just sat alone its its cave area and was forcibly merged via DNA splicers when Team Plasma took control. It had no real will of its own as it was just an empty shell that sat in a cave within a frozen valley minding its own business.

Necrozma is doing this of its own accord. And its not so much merging with one of the mascot legends as its straight up Absorbing and possessing it. We may not have seen too much, so there may be some evil Team manipulating it, but thus far, it kind of seems like Necrozma is doing this on its own for some as-of-yet unknown purpose.

Its a small distinction, but I think it makes a difference, especially plot-wise.

I would have thought it impossible, but with the addition of the two new UBs, I dont know anymore. I'd like to think that its more likely that we'd get an Alola form for earlier fossils more than anything. Since they seem to love Generation 1 so much; I'd say there's a better chance of an Alola Omanyte and/or Kabuto than a brand new fossil line entirely. Fingers crossed though; I'd love a new fossil pokemon.

Also, thats one of the first things I thought of, too; the fact that they said there'd be new areas and the Fossil park was teased in the first one. If this is an alternate time set 2 years later, it should be enough for at least his park to have gotten off the ground. If I'm allowed to dream, I'll hope for a Rock/Poison Dilophosaurus and some kind of Stegosaurus.

Last edited:
I think it's closer to Cell more than anything. Kyeurem just sat alone its its cave area and was forcibly merged via DNA splicers when Team Plasma took control. It had no real will of its own as it was just an empty shell that sat in a cave within a frozen valley minding its own business.

Necrozma is doing this of its own accord. And its not so much merging with one of the mascot legends as its straight up Absorbing and possessing it. We may not have seen too much, so there may be some evil Team manipulating it, but thus far, it kind of seems like Necrozma is doing this on its own for some as-of-yet unknown purpose.

Its a small distinction, but I think it makes a difference, especially plot-wise.

Speaking of, I seriously hope that it's doing this of its own accord. I know that the games don't really play the "all Pokemon are good it's the humans who mess up" card often, but the anime sort of destroyed it for me. It'd also be interesting to see Necrozma's motive for absorbing/possessing the box legendaries.

Speaking of the box legendaries and the new forms, I'm interested in how the two fuse. The best idea I've got is that Solgaleo and Lunala are representative of two kinds of natural light - sunlight and moonlight - and Necrozma is the Prism Pokemon, with a Prism being something that refracts light and separates it. I'm not sure how that's translate into the fusing thing, but it definitely is something to think about.

Bus

Speaking of, I seriously hope that it's doing this of its own accord. I know that the games don't really play the "all Pokemon are good it's the humans who mess up" card often, but the anime sort of destroyed it for me. It'd also be interesting to see Necrozma's motive for absorbing/possessing the box legendaries.

Speaking of the box legendaries and the new forms, I'm interested in how the two fuse. The best idea I've got is that Solgaleo and Lunala are representative of two kinds of natural light - sunlight and moonlight - and Necrozma is the Prism Pokemon, with a Prism being something that refracts light and separates it. I'm not sure how that's translate into the fusing thing, but it definitely is something to think about.

Assuming it IS doing it of its own accord, I was thinking that maybe it views Solageo and Lunala as threats. It was stated that Necrozma is NOT an Ultra Beast (unless that gets changed) while Sol & Lun are actually UBs, so maybe, it awoke specifically to absorb Solageo or Lunala in order to forcibly remove the other UBs from the world. As to how the process works...Im guessing you're probably on to something. The fact that its the Prism pokemon, it can be used to manipulate light (via refraction or reflection I guess...) to house the bodies of those mascot legends in some way.

EDIT: The only thing that bothers me a bit about your theory is the fact that there is no natural Moonlight, per se. light from the moon is merely sunlight reflected off the surface of the moon; it doesn't emit any light on its own. Of course, this is a world filled with magical animals that all defy the laws of physics at every turn, so I probably can't look at it too critically.

Last edited:
Assuming it IS doing it of its own accord, I was thinking that maybe it views Solageo and Lunala as threats. It was stated that Necrozma is NOT an Ultra Beast (unless that gets changed) while Sol & Lun are actually UBs, so maybe, it awoke specifically to absorb Solageo or Lunala in order to forcibly remove the other UBs from the world. As to how the process works...Im guessing you're probably on to something. The fact that its the Prism pokemon, it can be used to manipulate light (via refraction or reflection I guess...) to house the bodies of those mascot legends in some way.

Hmm, now that I think about it, Necrozma explicitly showing up straight after the UB mission is finished would make logical sense with that. Maybe it awoke to exterminate the UBs, but we had already captured them all by the time it was ready. As for the box legendaries being UBs, I don't think it's been confirmed, but it's quite likely. I'd almost consider the box legendaries to be considered as deities in Ultra Space too, since they can create wirmholes unlike other UBs.

Thinking along a similar line, maybe Necrozma is only looking for Solgaleo and Lunala, since in a way they are neither UB nor Pokemon because they come from somewhere different to the Pokemon World, but have different powers to the UBs (note no Beast Boost). I'm not sure why Necrozma would want to absorb them if we're following this idea, but it's something.

Bus

Hmm, now that I think about it, Necrozma explicitly showing up straight after the UB mission is finished would make logical sense with that. Maybe it awoke to exterminate the UBs, but we had already captured them all by the time it was ready. As for the box legendaries being UBs, I don't think it's been confirmed, but it's quite likely. I'd almost consider the box legendaries to be considered as deities in Ultra Space too, since they can create wirmholes unlike other UBs.

Thinking along a similar line, maybe Necrozma is only looking for Solgaleo and Lunala, since in a way they are neither UB nor Pokemon because they come from somewhere different to the Pokemon World, but have different powers to the UBs (note no Beast Boost). I'm not sure why Necrozma would want to absorb them if we're following this idea, but it's something.

I thought the UBs were the only things capable of going between the two worlds, so finding out that little Nebby was capable of producing a portal there meant that it had actually originated from that world. I may just be making too many assumptions, though. As for Necrozma would be looking to absorb them, it could be because in this timeline, the rest of the UBs have run amok and the guardian Tapus were not able to stop them, meaning Necrozma awoke and was forced into action. Unfortunately, Nebby is a friendly and so the party ends up seeing Necrozma as evil when it forcibly absorbs him even though its simply trying to just do its job by ridding the planet of the invading UBs.

The more I read this, the more its starting to look like a fanfic lol. I think I may be speculating a bit too much. It'd be cool if I'm right, but I think we're just lacking too much information. What are we; 2 months from release? Hopefully next month's Corocoro gives us the answers we need. Its either going to give us a reveal that'll confirm new Alola pokemon or a couple new Pokemon/UBs or its going to be a highlight showing the typing for the two new UBs and perhaps some more info on Necrozma itself (like new typings and if it gains a new ability upon absorption).

Ambyssin

Winter can't come soon enough

It's Pokédex descriptions could offer a hint. Specifically the Moon one:

Light is apparently the source of its energy. It has an extraordinarily vicious disposition and is constantly firing off laser beams.

Perhaps it's attacking or whatever in USUM out of desire for its own self preservation. After all, Solgaleo and Lunala are tied to celestial objects. They've got to be full of cosmic light energy for Necrozma to snack on like a parasite.

Sulfurian

I can kind of see Necrozma as a misunderstood guardian that absorbs the lunala and solgaleo being viewed as threats, as maybe the earlier ones that have visited or existed have caused destruction in some form. Since our nebby is more docile due to traveling with us.

I can kind of see Necrozma as a misunderstood guardian that absorbs the lunala and solgaleo being viewed as threats, as maybe the earlier ones that have visited or existed have caused destruction in some form. Since our nebby is more docile due to traveling with us.

I think in SM's lore the box legendaries were revered as godlike beings similar to the Tapus - with nobody knowing about Cosmog and Cosmoem in the process. Unless this universe has received a different experience of the box legendaries to SM's universe, I can't see them doing this trope with Necrozma. Plus, the anime has already sort of tried out this idea with the Zygarde cores and Squishy becoming more docile and trustworthy of humans after finding a travelling companion, so I don't really see them repeating it with USUM.

Akashin

While I'm not sure how likely this theory is, thinking along these lines, a possible reason Necrozma would want Solgaleo/Lunala would be for their ability to create Ultra Wormholes. It Necrozma's goal were to be the hunting of Ultra Beasts, the ability to freely reach Ultra Space to do so would definitely be something it'd want.

Alternatively, it is an Ultra Beast to some extent, its reasoning for seeking Solgaleo/Lunala could be mostly the same, albeit to use their ability as a means of getting itself home.

We do know that Solgaleo/Lunala clashed with the Guardians the last time they came to Alola, though whether that was because they were a genuine threat or simply because the Guardians viewed them as such is something I don't think is really made clear. Regardless, that they part more or less amicably and even give the Guardians their own Z-Crystal in the process implies they probably weren't malicious.

Last edited:

Aetius

Actually, I think that Necrozma could show up after we have beaten Lusamine in Ultra Space.
Think about it; Necrozma is attracted by light and what triggers Nebby's evolution into either Solgaleo or Lunala on the altar? Exactly, light itself.
Necrozma will be attracted by it and certainly won't give up on putting its hands on it.
Basically, I can see USUM's plot being extremely similar to the one from SUMO, however when we will have reached the point where we come back from Ultra Space, Necrozma will be there and will prey on Nebby in order to subjugate it.
After that, I do not know what path the story will take, but I've got the feeling that it will have something to do with those misterious figures' ploy.
Finding Nebby again could lead us to thwart their plan and, of course, to the capture of the other UBs!
Basically, I'm positive that they will expand more on the story centered around Anabelle and Looker in the post-game, only better.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
What are your running theories about Necrozma?

Mine is that Necrozma is an ancient weapon. It's an anti-Ultra Beast, like how Type: Null was created to combat them. Thousands of years ago a strange asteroid crashed, and they used the extraterrestial materials to craft Necrozma. Necrozma would be used to defend against Ultra Beasts. It would infect and assimilate the Cosmog line so as to utilize the Ultra Wormhole as the ultimate defender. It's just that this function has long since been forgotten, and it wasn't a complete creation. Necrozma has a number of design flaws which make it irritable, or maybe it's just so long since Necrozma has been underground that it's starved for energy and lashes out like a wounded animal

Aetius

What are your running theories about Necrozma?

Mine is that Necrozma is an ancient weapon. It's an anti-Ultra Beast, like how Type: Null was created to combat them. Thousands of years ago a strange asteroid crashed, and they used the extraterrestial materials to craft Necrozma. Necrozma would be used to defend against Ultra Beasts. It would infect and assimilate the Cosmog line so as to utilize the Ultra Wormhole as the ultimate defender. It's just that this function has long since been forgotten, and it wasn't a complete creation. Necrozma has a number of design flaws which make it irritable, or maybe it's just so long since Necrozma has been underground that it's starved for energy and lashes out like a wounded animal

I believe Necrozma has been already confirmed to be an UB.
Its stats are prime numbers (like the other UBs) and its appearance has always been otherwordly.
Not only that; listen to its cry and to the ones of the other UBs.
You'll notice that there is an easily distinguishable sound in their cries.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I believe Necrozma has been already confirmed to be an UB.
Its stats are prime numbers (like the other UBs) and its appearance has always been otherwordly.
Not only that; listen to its cry and to the ones of the other UBs.
You'll notice that there is an easily distinguishable sound in their cries.

Not really. If you look at it's Pokédex descriptions and what Looker says about it, it's supposed to be "reminiscent of the Ultra Beasts." This could mean one of two things, it is literally an Ultra Beast, or it is related to them in some way, resulting in the similarities. It really could go either way, and it certainly hasn't been confirmed.

R_N

Not really. If you look at it's Pokédex descriptions and what Looker says about it, it's supposed to be "reminiscent of the Ultra Beasts." This could mean one of two things, it is literally an Ultra Beast, or it is related to them in some way, resulting in the similarities. It really could go either way, and it certainly hasn't been confirmed.

It's definitely a UB in the same way that Cosmog's family are: they came through the worm hole ages ago. The fact that the BSTs are prime numbers and that they all share the same ending in their cy is proof enough that they're UB even if the games themselves are trying to go "what no, thats silly, get out of here"
It's not a UB in the same way Kyurem came from a meteor, to put it another way.

future.newyorker

It's definitely a UB in the same way that Cosmog's family are: they came through the worm hole ages ago. The fact that the BSTs are prime numbers and that they all share the same ending in their cy is proof enough that they're UB even if the games themselves are trying to go "what no, thats silly, get out of here"

It could be that Necrozma is the Mew/Arceus of the Ultra Beasts. Or another theory I have is that the Ultra Beasts are all man-made and once Necrozma left its home world, the people of that world attempted to recreate Necrozma and inherently created the Ultra Beasts and they're coming through the portals to try and find Necrozma. Nebby could also have come through the wormhole to hunt down Necrozma and defeat it as well.

R_N

It could be that Necrozma is the Mew/Arceus of the Ultra Beasts. Or another theory I have is that the Ultra Beasts are all man-made and once Necrozma left its home world, the people of that world attempted to recreate Necrozma and inherently created the Ultra Beasts and they're coming through the portals to try and find Necrozma. Nebby could also have come through the wormhole to hunt down Necrozma and defeat it as well.

Solgaleo/Lunala came through the wormhole hundreds of years ago, fought the Tapu, then basically did nothing in the meantime other than presumably being revered and fading into legend.
So...probably...not any of that.

Hero of Truth

Lillie Fan

Basically, in Alchemy (which Solgaleo/Lunala/Necrozma draw a lot from) if you fuse Sun+Moon+Prism, you basically get the power of God. Of course, in USUM we only get Necrozma fused with only one of the two at a time, but still you can see where this is going. So yeah, Necrozma may really be the Arceus of the UBs, that possibility exists.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

I was in the middle of writing a response further emphasizing how we just can't use the term confirmed, no matter how likely it seems, and how Ultra Sun and Moon could go either way with Necrozma's origin story, making it actually an Ultra Beast, or just a pseudo-Ultra Beast, but then I went back and re-read its Pokédex description. It does say that ancients believed that it came from another world. I forgot about that detail. That does pretty much confirm that it's an Ultra Beast. Odd that it says that in the very same description that claims it bares a resemblance to the Ultra Beasts. It's as if they couldn't make up their minds on if they wanted to confirm it was an Ultra Beast or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.