• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Pokémon/Formes Discussion & Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
assembly should have been rock/ghost

It's literally a wall, what better two types could you pick than Rock and Steel?

Thure

It's likely based on a japanese ghost since it also resembles a well with eyes

Yokai aren't necessary Ghosts... Nintails is based on a Yokai too and not a ghosts. Yokai are better translated as 'Monsters' or 'spirits' than as 'ghosts'

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
I kind of agree with that Ghost typing.

Though they could have just made it pure Rock. Is the dual typing really necessary?

Yokai aren't necessary Ghosts... Nintails is based on a Yokai too and not a ghosts. Yokai are better translated as 'Monsters' or 'spirits' than as 'ghosts'

Several types of Yokai are in fact ghosts.

I think you're being a bit nitpicky.

Orphalesion

As much as I wish Adhesive was poison/psychic, or poison/fairy, I don't want it to evolve and be a special case of UB that can evolve as it wouldn't fit with the rest.

But aren't Solgaleo and Lunala Ultra Beasts? They evolve.

Several types of Yokai are in fact ghosts.

I think you're being a bit nitpicky.

A lot of Youkai are in fact ghosts of formally living creatures, including humans. It's like "Fairy" in Irish folklore where it pretty much includes every type of mythological creature, including ghosts.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
But aren't Solgaleo and Lunala Ultra Beasts? They evolve.

They're speculated to be UBs, but nothing is outright confirmed.

Hopefully this game clarifies the connection between them, Necrozma, and the Ultra Beasts.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

Hopefully this game clarifies the connection between them, Necrozma, and the Ultra Beasts.

The game flat-out says they come from Ultra Space. It's essentially confirmed already.

The game flat-out says they come from Ultra Space. It's essentially confirmed already.

It says they're from another world (I can't remember if it's explicitly stated or not whether they're from Ultra Space specifically), but every other UB that has a confirmed ability has Beast Boost, and Solgaleo, Lunala, their pre-evolutions and Necrozma don't. That leaves it in a confusing grey area.

It’s creepy sentient wall covered in eyes and the bricks move as if they were possessed...I think a ghost typing is more fitting than steel...

It's explicitly stated on the website that all of the bricks are separate entities that form together as a massive wall. That fact that they move independently is purely because each one is its own thing. That doesn't really speak "ghost" to me.

Either way, if my avatar didn't give it away, Assembly has been growing on me. The concept of a massive structure created by small beings coming together as one is really cool to me, and it looks pretty great with the eyes and all.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I find it odd still that Burst is part Ghost type. It's far too colorful than the other Ghost types and even the ones that aren't shades of black and purple aren't that flashy looking. Every other Ghost type has dull or faded colors to them and they fit a theme. Banette is a literal haunted doll that looks like it really was discarded by a child after it started to fall apart and Shedinja is colored just like a discarded exoskeleton. Even Mimikyu isn't brightly colored and it's part Fairy which are typically look like some sort of result from an explosion at the Crayola company.

Thure

I find it odd still that Burst is part Ghost type. It's far too colorful than the other Ghost types and even the ones that aren't shades of black and purple aren't that flashy looking. Every other Ghost type has dull or faded colors to them and they fit a theme. Banette is a literal haunted doll that looks like it really was discarded by a child after it started to fall apart and Shedinja is colored just like a discarded exoskeleton. Even Mimikyu isn't brightly colored and it's part Fairy which are typically look like some sort of result from an explosion at the Crayola company.

It's a clown... and read his entry on the official page. Sounds very ghost to me.

Orphalesion

I don't really think it's bad when a Pokemon breaks the established "colour code" for it's type. Especially considering that his is an Ultra Beast, a being from another dimension where the laws of reality might be different.
And particularly purple (and especially that murky grey-purple of Gengar and such) is sooooooooooooooooo overused in Pokemon ever since Gen 1 (where it seems like ever other pokemon had that colour) so it's not bad if this particular ghost type has some brighter colours.

Aetius

However they are indeed UBs.
Solgaleo's and Lunala's cries have a distinguishable sound, which is the same for all the other UBs.
Their stats are all prime numbers, leaving no doubt whatsoever about them being UBs.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
It says they're from another world (I can't remember if it's explicitly stated or not whether they're from Ultra Space specifically), but every other UB that has a confirmed ability has Beast Boost, and Solgaleo, Lunala, their pre-evolutions and Necrozma don't. That leaves it in a confusing grey area.

Beast Boost is a representation of energy from Ultra Space surrounding the Pokémon. This is the same energy that attracts Ultra Beasts to fallers, as well as what creates the aura around wild ultra Beasts, Lusamine's Pokémon in the final fight with her, and even Totem Pokémon. Presumably this energy wears off after a certain period of time, meaning they would lose the Beast Boost ability. As Solgaleo, Lunala, and likely Necrozma have been on Earth for thousands of years, they no longer have the energy to fuel Beast Boost.

Really, the only gray area there is the fact that they are never outright referred to as such, but it is so heavily implied, that it's a safe assumption to make.

It’s creepy sentient wall covered in eyes and the bricks move as if they were possessed...I think a ghost typing is more fitting than steel...

I'm not saying the Ghost-Type would be ill-fitting, but when a Pokémon is literally a wall, it stands to reason that it's type would be the most defensively oriented type in the game.

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
Okay, everyone put down the literal sauce. Some yokai Pogeymans are ghost, some aren't. Game Freak is never super constrained, nor should we be.

See floating electric lamprey

shadowF

While it might be too early to say, which move do you guys think might be best for Dusk Lycanroc? Fire fang or Thunder Fang? I heard Fire Fang is better for the other forms of Lycanroc but I was wondering if it may be different in this case?

ShadowForce720

While it might be too early to say, which move do you guys think might be best for Dusk Lycanroc? Fire fang or Thunder Fang? I heard Fire Fang is better for the other forms of Lycanroc but I was wondering if it may be different in this case?

I'd say for Lycanroc Fire Fang is better then Thunder Fang because Fire Fang covers two of Lycanroc's weaknesses being Steel, and Grass, while Thunder Fang only covers one of Lycnaroc's Weaknesses being Water, another advantage Fire Fang has over Thunder Fang is less pokemon are immune to it, being that Thunder Fang won't work on Pokémon that are Ground type or has the Lightning Rod or Mortor Drive ability, with case of pokemon that aren't even Electric or Ground type having the former of the 2 abilities which allows them to force all Electric attacks to attack them, while the only the only pokemon that are immune to Fire Fang are pokemon with the Flash Fire ability and all of the pokemon that have the Flash Fire ability are Fire types so you would just hit them with a Rock type move instead of Fire Fang any way.

Sulfurian

I say fire fang as well. However to keep in mind you do have a chance to threaten out things like pelliper or gyarados but you already do that with your stab anyway lol, so really thunderfang doesn't do much for ya. Anything immune to thunderfang already resist your rock so you'd have to switch regardless there.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst

The problem with Lycanroc is that its movepool is terrible (seriously, no Earthquake?) and as a result it has trouble with hitting Steels as the only other option it has is Brick Break. Fire Fang deals with that issue to an extent since it hits Steel types super effectively while also giving decent coverage of other types. Thunder Fang is pretty niche outside of a couple Pokémon since Stone Edge hits most of the options that would be weak to it at least neutrally. If it's movepool is patched up and it gets better coverage, then Fire Fang may lose relevancy to Thunder Fang, but as it is now the former is superior to the latter.

Status
Not open for further replies.