• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Pokémon/Formes Discussion & Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon Pulse

If Meganium, Typhlosion and Feraligatr get Mega Evolutions instead of Alolan forms, I'd like to see Mega Meganium be Grass/Psychic with the Ability Healer, Mega Typhlosion as Fire/Ground with No Guard, and Mega Feraligatr being Water/Dragon with Rough Skin.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
If Meganium, Typhlosion and Feraligatr get Mega Evolutions instead of Alolan forms, I'd like to see Mega Meganium be Grass/Psychic with the Ability Healer, Mega Typhlosion as Fire/Ground with No Guard, and Mega Feraligatr being Water/Dragon with Rough Skin.

Healer? Really? Its not even that good in doubles, and its the reason why Mega Audino was one of the lowest tier megas in ORAS singles. I think they've mostly backpedalled on megas anyway, they're excluded from most official competitions and they must be aware of how broken Primal Kyogre, MegaMence and Mega Kangakshan were. So I doubt we'll see alolan Johto mons.

As for alolan forms, almost all of them went to totally unused or obscure pokemon last time so its more likely to go to something like Ledian, bellossom, corsola, jumpluff, or octillery.

Thure

It's no bigger a problem than the fact that every single Water Starter can learn Ice Beam as it is, upending that balance regardless.

But not from the start. It would break the system already in the first rival battle.

Healer? Really? Its not even that good in doubles, and its the reason why Mega Audino was one of the lowest tier megas in ORAS singles. I think they've mostly backpedalled on megas anyway, they're excluded from most official competitions and they must be aware of how broken Primal Kyogre, MegaMence and Mega Kangakshan were. So I doubt we'll see alolan Johto mons.

As for alolan forms, almost all of them went to totally unused or obscure pokemon last time so its more likely to go to something like Ledian, bellossom, corsola, jumpluff, or octillery.

In my opinion the most obscure of the original Alolan forms is Exeggutor considering all the rest have some major plot significance and were used by a gym leader, elite four member, champion, rival or by members of the evil team. Either that or they had some significance in other media that everyone knows. Ledian, Corsola, Jumpluff, and Octillery are obscure in that they are largely forgetable in their own region. I don't think Bellossom is going to get it because it's a cross-gen evolution. I could definitely see Sunflora getting it and getting a more tropical look.

whirlcupwinner

Water Tye Gym Leader
I'd actually prefer Alolan forms over Megas for them, not gonna lie. It would be REALLY cool to see their lines get Pokémon with COMPLETELY different types. Maybe even a new backwards type triangle, like steel, fairy, fighting. You could have a fairy Chikorita that's super effective against a fighting type Cyndaquil who's super effective against a steel type Totodile :D the typings fit too! I could easily see feraligatr having a more metallic coat with razor teeth, Meganium getting flowers and a smidgen of pixie dust and half of our fire starters are fighters or wrestlers anyways, shouldn't be a stretch to just drop the fire part altogether and tack on some boxing gloves.

I was hoping that could be on the lines of dual types with the mega evolution lol I would preferably love to see Feraligatr as a Water/Dragon type, could totally see that happening.

Akashin

But not from the start. It would break the system already in the first rival battle.

We're talking about hypothetical Alolan forms that wouldn't be available from the beginning anyway, so why does it matter?

In my opinion the most obscure of the original Alolan forms is Exeggutor considering all the rest have some major plot significance and were used by a gym leader, elite four member, champion, rival or by members of the evil team. Either that or they had some significance in other media that everyone knows. Ledian, Corsola, Jumpluff, and Octillery are obscure in that they are largely forgetable in their own region. I don't think Bellossom is going to get it because it's a cross-gen evolution. I could definitely see Sunflora getting it and getting a more tropical look.

Exeggutor, the one that has been front-and-center for Alolan form promotion and has an entire island in-game dedicated to it, is the most obscure one?

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
We're talking about hypothetical Alolan forms that wouldn't be available from the beginning anyway, so why does it matter?

Exeggutor, the one that has been front-and-center for Alolan form promotion and has an entire island in-game dedicated to it, is the most obscure one?

I think they forgot that there is an island dedicated to that pokemon, and it's where you find a very important item in the story.

Dragon Pulse

Hmm... perhaps Mega Meganium could have Regenerator instead. With Mega Audino being said, am I the only one who feels as if it looks more of a regional variant, than a Mega Evolution?

.Aerodactyl.

Yes it would be Steel>Fairy>Fighting>Steel... But there would be a problem with this. It wouldn't work backwards: Fighting is not very effective against Fairy. Fairy is not very effective against Steel. Steel is normal effective against Fighting. You see the problem?

Of course it wouldn't work backwards??? That's the point of a type triangle. It can't be simultaneously super effective against a type whilst also being ineffective to the same type. I'm not sure what you mean. I just meant backwards for the Pokémon themselves, as in instead of Totodile being weak to Chikorita and effective against Cyndaquil, Totodile would be weak to Cyndaquil and effective against Chikorita.

EDIT: Oh wait I think I see what you mean. Like, fighting type doesn't resist steel type, but fairy resists fighting and steel resists fairy, so there is a slight disadvantage to fighting and a slight advantage to steel. I honestly don't think that's a huge deal as long as the attacking side works. These wouldn't be functioning as starters in the traditional sense anyway, since our real starters are the gen 7 ones. The point of Alolan forms is that they got this way by their lifestyle in Alola. The starters would have to be catchable, albeit rare and probably in new areas. If it's really bothersome, you could always give typlosion a new ability that makes it resist steel type moves.

Last edited:

Tuoko

Alolan Exeggutor is far from obscure.

Woodsman

I believe they were trying to say that before being given an Alola form, Exeggutor was the most obscure of the Pokemon that did receive one. After all, I'd hardly call Raichu, Geodude, Meowth or Vulpix obscure.

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
I wish to see alternates forms for the Alolan starters final evolved form, preferably animalistic looking ones

jginz1

Shiny Hunter
Let me just say how Game Freak really likes to throw us off guard with what titles are being released next. For example:

2012:
What we assumed: Ruby and Sapphire Remakes/Pokemon Gray
What we got: Pokemon Black 2 and White 2

2015:
What we assumed: Pokemon Z
What we got: Nothing

2017:
What we assumed: Pokemon Stars
What we got: Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon

2018:
What we are assuming: Pokemon Diamond and Pearl Remakes
What we end up getting: ???

Game Freak can be so unpredictable sometimes ugh. I am actually really hyped for these new games though

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
the plot is like SMTIV:A; it's halfway between a gaiden game and an alternate universe where Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon wasn't killed and instead was saved by Necrozma, who controls their body

Alolan Exeggutor is far from obscure.

I meant that the original pokemon is the most obscure. Exeggutor may have gotten a push in this generation but up until Generation VII was largely ignored. All the others that got Alolan forms are used heavily in the story of either the game, manga, or anime in some way or another.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Let me just say how Game Freak really likes to throw us off guard with what titles are being released next. For example:

2012:
What we assumed: Ruby and Sapphire Remakes/Pokemon Gray
What we got: Pokemon Black 2 and White 2

2015:
What we assumed: Pokemon Z
What we got: Nothing

2017:
What we assumed: Pokemon Stars
What we got: Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon

2018:
What we are assuming: Pokemon Diamond and Pearl Remakes
What we end up getting: ???

Game Freak can be so unpredictable sometimes ugh. I am actually really hyped for these new games though

If I recall correctly, I've read in an interview back in B2W2 pre-release period that did want the fans to be thrown off guard. They knew people were actually expecting Gray so they made sequels instead.

As for Stars, wasn't it a codename similar to how SM was codenamed Niji (Rainbow)?

Status
Not open for further replies.