• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Pokémon/Formes Discussion & Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pikachu111213

Traveler
Grass/Fire Sunflora would be awesome. Maybe Sunflora would become decent from it lol. As for water Arcanine, it breaks my heart it didn't happen. Same with the fighting Abra line and fighting/flying Dodrio....all would have been amazing. I'm starting to think we will get new Alolan forms. No new Pokémon. But regional variants. I mean they added megas in ORAS. So why not? Maybe it's just wishful thinking tho.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Grass/Fire Sunflora would be awesome. Maybe Sunflora would become decent from it lol. As for water Arcanine, it breaks my heart it didn't happen. Same with the fighting Abra line and fighting/flying Dodrio....all would have been amazing. I'm starting to think we will get new Alolan forms. No new Pokémon. But regional variants. I mean they added megas in ORAS. So why not? Maybe it's just wishful thinking tho.

With such a small amount of new pokemon, I'd be very surprised if they didn't have more variants upcoming. I don't think USUM would do as well without new pokemon included, besides the new legendary forms.

Adrexus

Do it the bird way!
With such a small amount of new pokemon, I'd be very surprised if they didn't have more variants upcoming. I don't think USUM would do as well without new pokemon included, besides the new legendary forms.

I think its almost certain we'll get new Alola forms. Otherwise I think the game will be pretty bland. I just wonder, we have Gold and Silver coming out on virtual console soon. R/B/Y came out on VC the same year as Sun and Moon did. Maybe new Alola forms will be mostly Johto Pokemon and their 4th gen evolutions?

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
Anything short of a special attack or speed switch and its inferior to the other ubiquitous Steel/Bug Pokémon. (Except Wormadam.)But what did you have in mind? Shuckle's novelty is the extreme contrast of stats; are you implying keeping the 230 point allocations but in other stats?

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while

Agreed. I feel like new variants is a given as there needs to be some new form of marketing for these games. Or I could be wrong; maybe they can showcase some new features like gyms and new characters. I would definitely like to see the Alolan variants of the Johto Pokémon that weren't featured in SuMo, however.

The Snubull, Sneasel, Chinchou, Murkrow, Misdreavus and Spinarak lines, for example, probably won't receive variants.
I'd like to see some unexpected typing variants like I did with Alolan Sandslash and Exeggcutor.
Rock/Poison Pineco/Forretress: gets Baneful Bunker and the Filter ability
Ghost/Flying Hoothoot/Noctowl: yeah, it's another Ghost owl, but with Infiltrator and Technician
Dark/Fairy Teddiursa/Ursaring: Prankster black bears eclipsed moon designs
Bug/Dragon Yanma/Yanmega: a blue Yanma and a red Yanmega to be the opposite of Magikarp evolving into Gyarados, and Sheer Force is its secondary ability instead of Tinted Lens (keeps Speed Boost).
I was also thinking Rock/Dragon Larvitar but I really like Tyranitar's Sand Stream ability competitively, and I don't know if the rest of the fan community would want that either.

Hero of Truth

Lillie Fan
Agreed. I feel like new variants is a given as there needs to be some new form of marketing for these games. Or I could be wrong; maybe they can showcase some new features like gyms and new characters. I would definitely like to see the Alolan variants of the Johto Pokémon that weren't featured in SuMo, however.

The Snubull, Sneasel, Chinchou, Murkrow, Misdreavus and Spinarak lines, for example, probably won't receive variants.
I'd like to see some unexpected typing variants like I did with Alolan Sandslash and Exeggcutor.
Rock/Poison Pineco/Forretress: gets Baneful Bunker and the Filter ability
Ghost/Flying Hoothoot/Noctowl: yeah, it's another Ghost owl, but with Infiltrator and Technician
Dark/Fairy Teddiursa/Ursaring: Prankster black bears eclipsed moon designs
Bug/Dragon Yanma/Yanmega: a blue Yanma and a red Yanmega to be the opposite of Magikarp evolving into Gyarados, and Sheer Force is its secondary ability instead of Tinted Lens (keeps Speed Boost).
I was also thinking Rock/Dragon Larvitar but I really like Tyranitar's Sand Stream ability competitively, and I don't know if the rest of the fan community would want that either.

Personally, I don't think Gen 2 Pokémon that have Megas will receive an Alolan form. If you notice carefully, none of the Gen 1 Pokémon that have an Alolan form have a Mega Evolution. So we can rule the Scizor, Mareep, Houndoor, Heracross, Steelix and Larvitar lines out.

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
Personally, I don't think Gen 2 Pokémon that have Megas will receive an Alolan form. If you notice carefully, none of the Gen 1 Pokémon that have an Alolan form have a Mega Evolution. So we can rule the Scizor, Mareep, Houndoor, Heracross, Steelix and Larvitar lines out.

I was making sure of ruling them out, but the idea of a Rock/Dragon Larvitar line with a new Mega to rekindle the interests of Megas in the fan community drove my wish for that line.

Would love if some Alolan variants of Hoenn and Sinnoh Pokémon came through, but with the (relatively) recent Hoenn remakes and hopefull Sinnoh remakes, it's extremely unlikely.

Hiro Ray

Fallen Knight
I'd imagine that these are buffed forms for Solgaleo and Lunala, just to try and differentiate it a bit from Kyurem, i.e. Necrozma will be the sacrificial Pokémon rather than the previous two.

I think they'll have their respective signature moves plus Prismatic Laser.

I have to agree with Mudster on this one.

I don't see why they wouldn't introduce new Alola forms since they are still pokemon adapted to Alola. And it does sounds like a marketing scheme personally. My other concern is that this game takes place in a newer timeline so can such new forms be justified in game? Probably, probably not.
I do have a personal wishlist of new Alola forms.

Alola Smoochum : Ice/Fairy
Alola Delibird : Water/Flying
Alola Lapras : Fire/Rock
Alola Mankey : Dark/Psychic

Last edited by a moderator:

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
Kind of glad Water type Arcanine didn't happen we already have an over abundance of Water types.

Be that as it may, it still sounds like it would have been so cool.

Since Gen II VC - or, rather, 2/3 of Gen II VC - is coming this year, maybe Alolan Kingdra of some sort, anyone? That's something that I would be particularly excited to see, since it's been one of my favorites for so many years. Make it pink-red, still Dragon-type, and give it a cool second type like Fire or Psychic.

Rileyixx

Pokemon Fanatic ^.^
If we're getting new Alolan formes I think it's probably going to be for Gen 1 and 2 Pokemon that weren't in the dex last time but I see Gen 1 being more likely because they've pretty much been fan servicing Gen 1 since Gen 5 (Gen 5 had brand new dex and mimicked the Kanto dex in a lot of places, Gen 6 had Kanto starters and Gen 7 had more Kanto Pokemon in Alola than Alolan Pokemon).

I can't see Hoenn Pokemon getting new formes just due to Hoenn being warm and tropical like Alola and I can't see Sinnoh getting any love until Gen 8 because that's when the remakes will happen.

If the story focuses on the Ultra Beasts we could maybe get different formes for the Ultra Beasts like Giritina got Origin and Altered form, that could make things interesting

I don't see why they wouldn't introduce new Alola forms since they are still pokemon adapted to Alola. And it does sounds like a marketing scheme personally. My other concern is that this game takes place in a newer timeline so can such new forms be justified in game? Probably, probably not.
I do have a personal wishlist of new Alola forms.

Alola Smoochum : Ice/Fairy
Alola Delibird : Water/Flying
Alola Lapras : Fire/Rock
Alola Mankey : Dark/Psychic

Honestly I just want to forget the Smoochum line even exists so if it gets an Alolan form I'll be kinda disappointed.

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
If the story focuses on the Ultra Beasts we could maybe get different formes for the Ultra Beasts like Giritina got Origin and Altered form, that could make things interesting

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing UBs with alternate forms. I actually think that's far more likely than getting new ones, as Game Freak has never added brand new Pokémon mid generation, and UBs are still Pokémon. That being said, I still don't think the chances are high of them getting new forms, but I think it's possible.

I would love to see a Guzzlord form the most. I think it really needs an improvement myself, and I wanted it to be good, but it isn't.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
The new legendary forms look worse every time I see them. Painfully awkward

I've gotten somewhat used to them myself, although when I first saw the new forms of Solgaleo and Lunala, I assumed that they were fan-made photoshopped images or something non-official hee hee. I prefer the original Solgaleo and Lunala over these upgrades.

ShadowForce720

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing UBs with alternate forms. I actually think that's far more likely than getting new ones, as Game Freak has never added brand new Pokémon mid generation, and UBs are still Pokémon. That being said, I still don't think the chances are high of them getting new forms, but I think it's possible.

I would love to see a Guzzlord form the most. I think it really needs an improvement myself, and I wanted it to be good, but it isn't.

And before this generation they never had a main series games that didn't have HM's, Gyms, and legendary pokemon that was part of an evolutionary line aside from being able to breed Manaphy to get a Phione but it wasn't possible for Phione to evolve back into Manaphy. Now while I don't think will get say like a evolution for Komala introduce in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, I wouldn't be that surprised if new Ultra Beast were introduced because if you actually think about it would make sense given how Ultra Space is so big and yet we only saw like a tiny portion of it, so it would be that far out there if there were some Ultra Beast that we didn't see because they were just in a different part of Ultra Space and didn't come down through the wormhole.

I mean given how big Ultra Space is it would seem weird if there were only 7 different lines of Ultra Beast + the Cosmog line and Necrozma there, I mean that would be like if we were going to region to region and the only pokemon we ever saw were the original 151 pokemon from Kanto with no more being introduce despite the Pokeworld be pretty big.

Also I wouldn't be that surprised if we see some new Alolan forms, and if some pokemon like Oricorio got new forms.

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
Well, they have a lot of creative opportunity if they're pushing this "alternate story" narrative with these games. One of the posts I saw somewhere speculated that this could be something like, "oh, instead of coming to Alola in 2016 or so, it's like the protagonist(s) never showed up and moved in a year later." I saw a video with some similar speculation that it's like they move there at about the same time, but start their actual adventure maybe a year later, since the family looks more settled in the short trailer we have so far.

I think that gives them a ton of time to work with new forms. They could introduce new Alola forms and say that they had been discovered recently, or that new ones continued to appear throughout time. You could even bring in new Ultra Beasts with the emphasis on "ultra," since (as ShadowForce720 stated above!) there's probably several hundred species in the Ultra Space universe or dimension.

I totally understand people who have the perspective that they are unlikely to add totally new species to this generation in the middle, and I share that reservation - I don't think that they're going to radically alter every established norm or tradition within the confines of this generation. However, I'll echo the sentiment that Ultra Beasts are - while still Pokemon - something altogether different, something we aren't used to. There are so many possibilities with the idea that there's another dimension, universe, or world with entirely different Pokemon that we've never seen before, and that behave in such a strange manner when accidentally exposed to the world we're used to.

I might not be quick to subscribe to some of the crazier theories - such as the one that Ultra Beasts attacked the "old world" of pre-Mega days, or something - but their presence allows for so much creativity that I wouldn't count anything out, even knowing we're in the middle of a generation.

.Aerodactyl.

I think a few new ultra beasts are honestly a real possibility. Hard to say since we have so little info, but new Pokémon sell games. I'm kinda neutral too though, I won'tnt be surprised if we don't see new ultra beats either. There's a good case to be made on both sidese. We're getting some new forms at least of Solgaleo and Lunala, and I think it's possible we'll see new forms to Mimikyu and Lycanroc because they have some placeholder empty images in the PGL, and they aren't for totem forms or shinies! I think Mimikyu is either going to get a second disguise...like if clefairy or something, or else we might actually get to see Mimikyu unmasked! Lycanroc I think will have either like a "twilight" form or "eclipse" form that's sort fo a blend between the two (hopefully still learns accelerock).

They could also be gearing up for some sort of "battle bond" gimmick where Pokémon get "ultra" forms if they have that special ability (so kinda like Megas but not exactly?). Maybe certain Pokémon will have battle bond forms like Ash-greninja, and ash-greninja was just a sort fo teaser.

Story wise, and I'm basing this SOLELY on the few seconds of trailer we saw, I think our "protagonist" is actually going to be native to Alola, or at least have been already living there for awhile when we start the game. In a way, it will be a different "form" of the protagonist XD, cause I think they will still be the same person from Sumo, just an alternative background.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
And before this generation they never had a main series games that didn't have HM's, Gyms, and legendary pokemon that was part of an evolutionary line aside from being able to breed Manaphy to get a Phione but it wasn't possible for Phione to evolve back into Manaphy. Now while I don't think will get say like a evolution for Komala introduce in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, I wouldn't be that surprised if new Ultra Beast were introduced because if you actually think about it would make sense given how Ultra Space is so big and yet we only saw like a tiny portion of it, so it would be that far out there if there were some Ultra Beast that we didn't see because they were just in a different part of Ultra Space and didn't come down through the wormhole.

Just because they've changed some things, doesn't mean it's realistic to think they'll change something else. They could also go and change any number of random things. Maybe, since they've changed so much already, they'll make it so we can carry ten Pokémon on our team, and Pokémon can go up to level 200. You see the problem with your logic?

ShadowForce720

Just because they've changed some things, doesn't mean it's realistic to think they'll change something else. They could also go and change any number of random things. Maybe, since they've changed so much already, they'll make it so we can carry ten Pokémon on our team, and Pokémon can go up to level 200. You see the problem with your logic?

That still doesn't change the whole point about the possibility of them introducing new Ultra Beast in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, especially given how big Ultra Space most likely is and that we only see a very small portion of it. It would seem really weird if their were only the 7 different lines of Ultra Beast + the Cosmog line and Necrozma there, like I said before that would be like if we went to region to region and never got any new pokemon introduce besides the original 151 even though the pokeworld is pretty big.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
Kind of glad Water type Arcanine didn't happen we already have an over abundance of Water types.

Yeah, we got a solid of bulky waters in every competitive format already. Electric Arcanine could be pretty amazing though. Electric is a nice defensive typing with few to no bulky mons with decent recovery to take advantage of it. Only one weakness with Arcanine's bulk, intimidate, snarl and morning sun. It could be even more amazing in VGC than the fire arcanine.

Status
Not open for further replies.