• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Pokémon/Formes Discussion & Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Truth be told i think if it was Girafarig getting a regional form i'd hope more for them to make a bigger form so it is more similar to a modern giraffe. That way it's two headed nature could work more like Alolan Exeggutor's additional head. I'll admit this is probably just me though.

I feel like giving it a massively long neck and head-tail, it would be much too similar in concept to Alolan Exeggutor.

Sorry for bringing this up again, but it seems like Nihilego have the same affect on humans as pokemon, check it . So once again that brings up the question, why did Nihelego completely change when attached to Lusamine?

I believe people said this last time you brought this up, but it probably has something to do with the combination of Lusamine's prolonged exposure, her desire to bond with Nihelego, and perhaps something special about Lusamine.

Adrexus

Do it the bird way!
One thing I noticed about the current Alola forms was that none of them received mega evolutions in generation 6. If they do make Johto Alola forms, you can probably count on there not being Alola Houndoom, Ampharos, Steelix, Scizor, Heracross and Tyranitar.

As far as Hoenn Alola forms, considering how recent ORAS was, I think that's pretty unlikely. Same for Kalos. Johto, Sinnoh and Unova haven't received much attention for a few years now. The former two especially so. I would think that Johto and then Sinnoh would be the most likely candidates for new forms.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
One thing I noticed about the current Alola forms was that none of them received mega evolutions in generation 6. If they do make Johto Alola forms, you can probably count on there not being Alola Houndoom, Ampharos, Steelix, Scizor, Heracross and Tyranitar.

Personally, I don't think its safe to say that was anything but a coincidence. It's a realistic possibility that Game Freak doesn't want to make Alolan Forms of Pokémon with Mega Evolution, but I don't think we have a big enough sample size to rule it out entirely. There's certainly nothing in-universe or out-of-universe that would stop it, aside from how Game Freak decides they want to handle it. Now if we do get another large batch of Alolan forms, and none of them can Mega Evolve, then I would change my opinion a bit.

Adrexus

Do it the bird way!
Personally, I don't think its safe to say that was anything but a coincidence. It's a realistic possibility that Game Freak doesn't want to make Alolan Forms of Pokémon with Mega Evolution, but I don't think we have a big enough sample size to rule it out entirely. There's certainly nothing in-universe or out-of-universe that would stop it, aside from how Game Freak decides they want to handle it. Now if we do get another large batch of Alolan forms, and none of them can Mega Evolve, then I would change my opinion a bit.

Well, that's why I say probably. I don't know for sure what they'll do. The reason I think its less likely we'll see Pokemon with megas get Alola forms is because the idea of giving an older Pokemon an upgrade to begin with is to give it some attention that it hasn't received in a while and partly as fanservice to older players. All the Pokemon that received megas already got another chance in the spotlight during generation 6. It would be a little bit boring if the same old Pokemon kept getting upgraded while others fell to the wayside. They can't upgrade every Pokemon, sure, but its nice to see a few old faces come back with a flair.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Well, that's why I say probably. I don't know for sure what they'll do.

I guess I didn't say it directly, but I meant to say I don't even think it's safe to say probably at this point. I would just say that there's a chance.

The reason I think its less likely we'll see Pokemon with megas get Alola forms is because the idea of giving an older Pokemon an upgrade to begin with is to give it some attention that it hasn't received in a while and partly as fanservice to older players. All the Pokemon that received megas already got another chance in the spotlight during generation 6. It would be a little bit boring if the same old Pokemon kept getting upgraded while others fell to the wayside. They can't upgrade every Pokemon, sure, but its nice to see a few old faces come back with a flair.

I see what you're saying, but I don't agree with it entirely myself. There's a lot more to Megas and Alola Forms than just giving attention to old Pokémon. Sure, that's a result of it, but that doesn't mean it's the only, or even primary, motivating factor. Both types of forms are, in the end, a way to play around with new concepts for old Pokémon, so if good ideas come for both a Mega and an Alolan form for the same Pokémon, it seems like a waste to artificially say that Pokémon can only have one. Now given, I can see Game Freak making that choice, can respect, but I personally disagree with it.

Adrexus

Do it the bird way!
I guess I didn't say it directly, but I meant to say I don't even think it's safe to say probably at this point. I would just say that there's a chance.

I see what you're saying, but I don't agree with it entirely myself. There's a lot more to Megas and Alola Forms than just giving attention to old Pokémon. Sure, that's a result of it, but that doesn't mean it's the only, or even primary, motivating factor. Both types of forms are, in the end, a way to play around with new concepts for old Pokémon, so if good ideas come for both a Mega and an Alolan form for the same Pokémon, it seems like a waste to artificially say that Pokémon can only have one. Now given, I can see Game Freak making that choice, can respect, but I personally disagree with it.

There's no particular reason why they can only have one. That's up to what the company feels is best. But, Gamefreak as a company only has so much time and resources. They're only going to make a certain number of new forms if they even do at all. There's a lot of Pokemon that haven't gotten an upgrade and there's no way they can all get one, so it would make sense to allocate those resources to Pokemon which haven't been visited in a while. Of course, A really Popular Pokemon, say Lucario, could have an exception made for it. If they do give any Pokemon with megas Alola forms, it will probably be very few. This is subjective, but for me at least, say for example if they made Alola forms for Kanto starters, I would be a little bit underwhelmed given these Pokemon already have pretty solid mega evolutions. Now if they made Alola forms for Johto starters, I would be a little more intrigued.

As far as predictions, though, its not unreasonable to look at past trends and make inferences based on those. They don't always pan out, and some are so far out there as to be total nonsense. There's a lot of variable to take into account, but its not a bad starting point.

ShadowForce720

There's no particular reason why they can only have one. That's up to what the company feels is best. But, Gamefreak as a company only has so much time and resources. They're only going to make a certain number of new forms if they even do at all. There's a lot of Pokemon that haven't gotten an upgrade and there's no way they can all get one, so it would make sense to allocate those resources to Pokemon which haven't been visited in a while. Of course, A really Popular Pokemon, say Lucario, could have an exception made for it. If they do give any Pokemon with megas Alola forms, it will probably be very few. This is subjective, but for me at least, say for example if they made Alola forms for Kanto starters, I would be a little bit underwhelmed given these Pokemon already have pretty solid mega evolutions. Now if they made Alola forms for Johto starters, I would be a little more intrigued.

As far as predictions, though, its not unreasonable to look at past trends and make inferences based on those. They don't always pan out, and some are so far out there as to be total nonsense. There's a lot of variable to take into account, but its not a bad starting point.

Another thing that makes it more complicated when it comes to giving pokemon that have Megas Alolan form is then eventually it gets into a situation where you that Alolan form would need to get a mega for itself, for instance take the idea of a pure fighting type Abra line, it wouldn't make any sense for a Alolan Alakazam to mega evolve into a pure Psychic type Mega Alakazam so they would need to create a new Mega evolution for the Alolan Alakazam basically create a Mega Alakazam, and then it becomes more complicated because then there will be the whole argument of it since Alolan Alakazam got a mega why couldn't say for instance Alolan Golem get a mega.

Basically by giving a pokemon that already has a Mega evolution an Alolan form your opening up a Pandora's box sure you can say oh but they don't have to give Alolan Alakazam a mega, but at the same time they don't have to give the Abra line a Alolan form since it already has a mega evolution. Is it impossible for a pokemon that has a mega to get a Alolan form? No, but until we actually get an instance where that happens I wouldn't say that it's likely for a pokemon that already has a mega evolution in it's line to get a Alolan form.

I mean sure Gamefreak could do it if they really want to but the question is does Gamefreak really want to open Pandora's box.

Adrexus

Do it the bird way!
Another thing that makes it more complicated when it comes to giving pokemon that have Megas Alolan form is then eventually it gets into a situation where you that Alolan form would need to get a mega for itself, for instance take the idea of a pure fighting type Abra line, it wouldn't make any sense for a Alolan Alakazam to mega evolve into a pure Psychic type Mega Alakazam so they would need to create a new Mega evolution for the Alolan Alakazam basically create a Mega Alakazam, and then it becomes more complicated because then there will be the whole argument of it since Alolan Alakazam got a mega why couldn't say for instance Alolan Golem get a mega.

Basically by giving a pokemon that already has a Mega evolution an Alolan form your opening up a Pandora's box sure you can say oh but they don't have to give Alolan Alakazam a mega, but at the same time they don't have to give the Abra line a Alolan form since it already has a mega evolution. Is it impossible for a pokemon that has a mega to get a Alolan form? No, but until we actually get an instance where that happens I wouldn't say that it's likely for a pokemon that already has a mega evolution in it's line to get a Alolan form.

I mean sure Gamefreak could do it if they really want to but the question is does Gamefreak really want to open Pandora's box.

As far as I can tell, they put mega evolution on the back burner for this generation. Unless of course they do decide to give new megas to Pokemon in US/UM, which would open new possibilities then. It seems like it would be excessive to give a Pokemon that has an Alola form a mega evolution, especially when that mechanic isn't even being emphasized this generation and the standard form already has one in the case of Alakazam. I don't think it would be that big of a conundrum to give a Pokemon with a mega an Alola form and not give that form a mega.

ShadowForce720

As far as I can tell, they put mega evolution on the back burner for this generation. Unless of course they do decide to give new megas to Pokemon in US/UM, which would open new possibilities then. It seems like it would be excessive to give a Pokemon that has an Alola form a mega evolution, especially when that mechanic isn't even being emphasized this generation and the standard form already has one in the case of Alakazam. I don't think it would be that big of a conundrum to give a Pokemon with a mega an Alola form and not give that form a mega.

Actually no, because the moment you give say like the Abra line a Alolan form even though it already has a Mega Evolution then the argument of well it's non-alolan form has a Mega Evolution so why shouldn't a Alolan Alakazam have a Mega of it's own, basically the only reason why your not seeing that many arguments for a Alolan form getting a Mega evolution is because currently none of the pokemon that have Mega Evolutions have Alolan forms so people just assume that if a pokemon line already has a Mega evolution it won't get a Alolan form and vice verse however the moment you give a pokemon with a Mega evolution an Alolan form like say giving the Abra line a Alolan form then the whole argument for giving Alolan forms Mega evolutions are going to rise exponentially.

Basically it wouldn't be that surprising if Gamefreak choose not to give pokemon with already existing Mega evolution Alolan froms and vice versa rather then giving pokemon that already has Mega evolutions, Alolan forms.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

I don't really think it's that big of a deal to simply lock the theoretical Alolan Alakazam out of Mega Evolving. Since Alolan forms have developed to be extremely different from their normal forms, it wouldn't be unusual at all to say they've lost the ability to Mega Evolve. There really is no "Pandora's box" here. If Game Freak wants to make Alolan Alakazam a thing, there's no real reason for Game Freak to arbitrarily limit themselves and not do it.

ShadowForce720

I don't really think it's that big of a deal to simply lock the theoretical Alolan Alakazam out of Mega Evolving. Since Alolan forms have developed to be extremely different from their normal forms, it wouldn't be unusual at all to say they've lost the ability to Mega Evolve. There really is no "Pandora's box" here. If Game Freak wants to make Alolan Alakazam a thing, there's no real reason for Game Freak to arbitrarily limit themselves and not do it.

Yes, but the moment you give a Alolan form then the arguments for Alolan forms to get Mega Evolutions, you can't say that it won't if they simply say they lost the ability to Mega Evolve because it still will, the only reason why you don't get a bunch of argument for Alolan forms to get Mega evolutions is because pokemon with Mega evolutions don't have Alolan forms.

No matter how you try to slice it the moment you give a pokemon that has a Mega evolution a Alolan form, the arguments for Alolan forms to get Mega evolutions, you can't really cherrypick the argument here and say oh well they don't have to give Alolan forms Mega evolutions, well guess what they don't have to give pokemon with Mega Evolutions Alolan forms. Also both were attempt to revitalize said pokemon to allow it to see more use so it could be seen as just being repetitive and excessive to give pokemon with Mega Evolutions Alolan forms.

Plus in Gamefreak's view they could easily see it a waste of resources to give a pokemon that has a Mega evolution a Alolan form, and decide that the resources are better spent on giving other pokemon a chance that don't currently have Alolan forms or Mega evolutions. Also until we actually see a pokemon that has a Mega Evolution get a Alolan form I'm going to have to say that it's probably unlikely. It would be one thing if it's already happened with Sun and Moon like for instance if we had gotten a Alolan Abra line, Alolan Gastly line but we didn't.

Look you can argue until your blue in the face but at this point until proven otherwise I'm going to have to say it is unlikely that pokemon that have Mega evolutions will get Alolan forms. But then again one could also argue that the beast trio and Tower Duo and Celebi will get Alolan forms even though you probably find it unlikely.

Last edited:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Yes, but the moment you give a Alolan form then the arguments for Alolan forms to get Mega Evolutions, you can't say that it won't if they simply say they lost the ability to Mega Evolve because it still will, the only reason why you don't get a bunch of argument for Alolan forms to get Mega evolutions is because pokemon with Mega evolutions don't have Alolan forms.

I suppose some people might want Megas for Alolan Forms to be made, but it really isn't the same as concept as having an Alolan Form made for a Pokémon with a Mega. It's a completely different concept and would be very unnecessary. Both Alolan Forms and Mega Evolutons are new takes on old Pokémon. Giving a new Mega specifically to a Alolan Pokémon, is a tad bit silly and redundant. Maybe they could give a Mega to something like normal Sandslash, but there's no reason to give one to Alolan Sandslash, so you're point doesn't really matter much.

No matter how you try to slice it the moment you give a pokemon that has a Mega evolution a Alolan form, the arguments for Alolan forms to get Mega evolutions,

Once again, no, those are two different and unrelated arguments.

you can't really cherrypick the argument here and say oh well they don't have to give Alolan forms Mega evolutions, well guess what they don't have to give pokemon with Mega Evolutions Alolan forms.

Yeah, they don't have to. I never said they had to. I'm saying that the latter is less artificially restricting on the natural creative process. The former has no need to exist.

Also both were attempt to revitalize said pokemon to allow it to see more use so it could be seen as just being repetitive and excessive to give pokemon with Mega Evolutions Alolan forms.

Both Mega Evolution and Alola Forms are about more than just allowing them to see more use. Sure, it's a part of it, but it's also about giving new designs and uses, and if someone comes up with a good idea for new designs and uses for a Pokémon that already has a Mega, it wouldn't be waste, as there's now that many more options when using that Pokémon.

Plus in Gamefreak's view they could easily see it a waste of resources to give a pokemon that has a Mega evolution a Alolan form, and decide that the resources are better spent on giving other pokemon a chance that don't currently have Alolan forms or Mega evolutions. Also until we actually see a pokemon that has a Mega Evolution get a Alolan form I'm going to have to say that it's probably unlikely. It would be one thing if it's already happened with Sun and Moon like for instance if we had gotten a Alolan Abra line, Alolan Gastly line but we didn't.

I don't deny that. I fully accept the possibility that Game Freak could think that. All I am saying is that we have to small of a sample size to know if that's really what they think, as there is a trend of logic that would allow for them to do so.

20LigerZero16

"..........................."
Due to Gold and Silver being on the virtual console, I would like to see these johto pokemon getting alolan forms in USUM:

Alolan Sentret/Furret
Alolan Hoothoot/Noctowl
Alolan Natu/Xatu
Alolan Hoppip/Skiploom/Jumpluff
Alolan Sunkern/Sunflora
Alolan Pineco/Forretress
Alolan Teddiursa/Ursaring
Alolan Slugma/Magcargo
Alolan Remoraid/Octillery
Alolan Phanpy/Donphan
Alolan Wooper/Quagsire

I chose these because they fit the pattern that we got from SM's alolan forms of kanto pokemon, as they didn't have mega evolutions or any other form changes prior to gen 7. I feel that if any johto pokemon are going to be getting alolan forms, these are probably the most likely. These picks are just my opinion, but I would like to see if even half of these can become true.

Last edited:

Tuoko

Why would that argument happen, though?

If a situation where the entire Abra line, including its Mega, got Alola forms does occur, then it happened. The only reason Alolan Golem wouldn't have received one is because Golem itself doesn't have one.

Though considering we have yet to receive Megas for Pokemon that have multiple forms (Wormadam, Rotom, Cherrim, Sawsbuck, and Lycanroc to name a few) I'm curious how Game Freak would handle them.

JLK2707

Yeah, that would be pretty cool. I also wouldn't mind seeing Alolan forms of Mightyena, Hariyama, Claydol and Relicanth.

Pikachu111213

Traveler
Due to Gold and Silver being on the virtual console, I would like to see these johto pokemon getting alolan forms in USUM:

Alolan Sentret/Furret
Alolan Hoothoot/Noctowl
Alolan Natu/Xatu
Alolan Hoppip/Skiploom/Jumpluff
Alolan Sunkern/Sunflora
Alolan Pineco/Forretress
Alolan Teddiursa/Ursaring
Alolan Slugma/Magcargo
Alolan Remoraid/Octillery
Alolan Phanpy/Donphan

I chose these because they fit the pattern that we got from SM's alolan forms of kanto pokemon, as they didn't have mega evolutions or any other form changes prior to gen 7. I feel that if any johto pokemon are going to be getting alolan formes, these are probably the most likely. These picks are just my opinion, but I would like to see if even half of these can become true.

I love these ideas! I could see Furret becoming Electroc, Noctowl becoming Psychic/Flying or even Psychic/Dark, Xatu becoming Grass/Fairy, Jumpluff becoming Grass/Steel, Sunflora getting a fire typing or being Grass/Fire, Forretress could be Bug/Grass or Bug/Rock, Magcargo could be Fire/Steel or even Fire/Water, Octillery could be Water/Steel, Donphan becoming Water, Steel, or Grass or even a mixture of two of those, and for Ursaring they could do a rivalry with Bewear and make it Fighting type

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
I love these ideas! I could see Furret becoming Electroc, Noctowl becoming Psychic/Flying or even Psychic/Dark, Xatu becoming Grass/Fairy, Jumpluff becoming Grass/Steel, Sunflora getting a fire typing or being Grass/Fire, Forretress could be Bug/Grass or Bug/Rock, Magcargo could be Fire/Steel or even Fire/Water, Octillery could be Water/Steel, Donphan becoming Water, Steel, or Grass or even a mixture of two of those, and for Ursaring they could do a rivalry with Bewear and make it Fighting type

they also used the alolan forms for new typing combos half the time,
so I have a feeling that if any new ones do come out (which I agree these ones have the most likeliness),
then half of them will have new combos for sure.

The main typing ideas I like are:
Sunflora - grass/fire sun was so hot for sunflora it unlocked her fire typing
senret/furret - normal/ground had to gain ground typing to be able to burrow through hard alolan rocks to escape preds
hoothoo/noctowl - psychic/dark the moon bathed them in energy, strengthening their psychic powers and giving them stronger nocturnal powers as well
Teddiursa (ghost)/Ursaring ghost/fighting - due to dangerous Bewears, Teddiursa had to venture out at night instead of day time to avoid meeting the pokemon giving it a ghost typing as they practice their evasion, and then Ursaring trains in martial arts to be able to extract revenge for having to keep in the night time by itself as lonely teddiursa.

Last edited:

JLK2707

That sounds great. That makes a lot of sense. By the way, I would also like to see these Johto Pokemon with Alolan forms in USUM:

Alolan Sudowoodo - Grass/Rock Type - Sudowoodo would have just taken quite a huge shine to the grass life and has therefore adapted to the Grass Type well.
Alolan Delibird - Dark/Flying Type - Delibird adapted to the region of Alola and has taken a huge liking to the moonlight.
Alolan Shuckle - Bug/Grass Type - Shuckle has adapted to the region of Alola and has taken a huge liking to the grass life.
Alolan Spinarak/Ariados - Bug/Ghost Type - Spinarak and Ariados have adapted to the ghostly side of Alola where the Ghost Type Pokemon hang out.
Alolan Lanturn - Water/Ghost Type - Lanturn have explored deep within the ocean of Alola and have learned to adapt with the Ghost Types.
Alolan Houndoom - Steel/Dark Type - Houndoom has adapted well to the steel scenery of some sections of Alola.

Status
Not open for further replies.