• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Pokemon Abilities Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Didn't someone from GF say they want to make battles simpler? Maybe these abilitys will get removed

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Didn't someone from GF say they want to make battles simpler? Maybe these abilitys will get removed
I doubt Abilities will ever get removed at all. Removing them means a lot of Pokémon are going to be nerfed and some even depend on Abilities to even be viable.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
I doubt Abilities will ever get removed at all. Removing them means a lot of Pokémon are going to be nerfed and some even depend on Abilities to even be viable.
That is the thing though. Let's say they want to change how Pokemon is done down to the battle style. Things would have to change. With that said that could be as simple as putting in combos and letting you dodge while keeping everything else. Let's just hope it doesn't become like YW

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
That is the thing though. Let's say they want to change how Pokemon is done down to the battle style. Things would have to change. With that said that could be as simple as putting in combos and letting you dodge while keeping everything else. Let's just hope it doesn't become like YW
True that Abilities would be the easiest thing to cut down because they're not as significant as types, Pokémon and moves but I still doubt Game Freak will bother do any changes to it. Abilities is not just a game-limited mechanic and Pokémon in the anime have been shown to activate Abilities.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
How about a version of Intimidate, but it reduces the special attack of the opponent rather than the physical attack stat.

That be nice, but honestly not as useful. Special attackers are far less common.

What about a version of intimidate that lowers Speed or either of the defenses

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Yeah I'd like one that reduces Speed considering that there are more faster Pokémon than special attackers and the speed creeping that happens a lot in competitive especially with the recent Tapu Koko. And considering that Sticky Web isn't one of the most widespread moves and that ungrounded Pokémon are immune to it.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Old ability idea I had for a Fairy/Dark Gremlin inspired Pokemon. Its inspired by the urban legend that gremlins would dismantle machines.

Dismantler
When this Pokemon enters battle Steel type attacks and Steel types are treated as Normal types.

The idea being that say Magnemite is on the battle field and this Pokemon enters, now its Normal/Electric, and its Flash Cannon attack is Normal type as well.

Ultra Beast Lover

I'd like some abilities with the field effect of making say water or psychic types more likely to appear.

Psychic shield-Absorbs all psychic type moves.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
I'd like some abilities with the field effect of making say water or psychic types more likely to appear.

Psychic shield-Absorbs all psychic type moves.

Hm... maybe we could call it Mind Trap: All Psychic moves are drawn to this Pokemon and absorb some HP. (Out of battle effect causes Psychic types to appear more often).

FrozTKnight

Will ORA ORA ORA you
How about Frostbite. The ability slows down every Pokemon in battle by 50% while the Pokemon is in battle. Doesn't effect other ice types.

But I think this could probably more useful implementing it into Hail so more Ice types could use it.

Creyk

That be nice, but honestly not as useful. Special attackers are far less common.

Yeah I'd like one that reduces Speed considering that there are more faster Pokémon than special attackers and the speed creeping that happens a lot in competitive especially with the recent Tapu Koko. And considering that Sticky Web isn't one of the most widespread moves and that ungrounded Pokémon are immune to it.

That would be very OP...just a well-placed spider web can win a whole match. Imagine if it came as an ability

Status
Not open for further replies.