• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Pokemon Abilities Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
With every new gen we many additions, since gen3 those habe included abilities as well.

Lets what kinds of new abilities we would like to see. As well as those that are revealed as that information is presented.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Quick Shot: Physical attacks that dont deal contact use double this Pokemons speed stat to determine turn order.

Basically if a Pokemon with this ability has say 75 base Speed, if it uses say Tackle, it uses base 75 speed. But if it where to use say Bullet Seed, then it that 75 is double to base 150 speed.

Bus

Quick Shot: Physical attacks that dont deal contact use double this Pokemons speed stat to determine turn order.

Basically if a Pokemon with this ability has say 75 base Speed, if it uses say Tackle, it uses base 75 speed. But if it where to use say Bullet Seed, then it that 75 is double to base 150 speed.

"Physical moves that don't make direct contact get +1 priority" might be an easier way to state it. Double speed is great and all, but if you have, say, a Stakakata using Rock Blast or something, then your Double Speed means nothing; it will still be slower than most Pokemon and move second. If you want it to go sooner, it's better to just raise the Priority like with Infiltrator. Other than that, its a nice idea.

I had an idea for another 'Weather' condition and ability to go along with it.

Ability: Miasma- The area is covered in a toxic haze that lowers the speed of Pokemon within it. Poison and Steel type pokemon are unaffected by the Miasma. Poison type moves get a small buff in damage while Grass type moves weaken. Castform becomes Poison type; Weather Ball becomes Poison typing.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
I would like more variants than anything else. More X-worker, X-ate abilities, a Speed variant of Defiant/Competitive, Special variant of Fur Coat, Dark-type variant of Synchronize etc.

Bus

The last gen was pretty slow overall; I wouldn't be surprised if this gen turned out to be faster on average; Speed is a pretty powerful modifier, so I don't think we'll really get more than what we have:
Speed Boost
Motor Drive
Rattled

More pokemon might get some of them, but I can't see them adding more Speed enhancing abilities due to how good they are (raised Priority maybe, but I dont know about straight up speed boosters). I could see some more Defensive buff abilities added though.

SleepingGiant

Discord mod (Sudo)
Speed boost is super OP. I agree with +speed on condition abilities, but free speed boost every turn is incredibly overpowered. The only reason people on Smogon aren't whining about it anymore is because they banned Baton Pass.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
I would like more variants than anything else. More X-worker, X-ate abilities, a Speed variant of Defiant/Competitive, Special variant of Fur Coat, Dark-type variant of Synchronize etc.
I agree, especially on the X-Worker ones being more wide-spread with the types.

Maybe two more could be nice:
Psy-worker or something like that would be nice for pokemon like Psyduck/Golduck and Hoothoot/Noctowl
Grass-worker would be nice for Florges and Sudowoodo maybe?

Although they probably wouldn't rewrite secret abilities on pokemon, It'd be interesting!

Kage-Pikachu

I would like to see buffs to several exclusive legendary Pokemon Abilities. TurboBlaza and TeraVolt are glorified Mold Breakers, with names like that it should have some effect on their Fire and Electric type moves respectively. Also, Full Metal Body should increase the power of Steel type moves for the same reason. Shadow Shield is good but since Multiscale exists I wish it did a bit more than what it does, like it would permanently have all attacks dealt to it or at least until it gets to a certain health level which would make it better than Multiscale but not too overpowered.

And what the heck's up with Alolan Raichu not being immune to Ground? At least let him be immune when he's surfing of Electric Terrain, but I guess the same could be said for many floating Pokemon...and swimming Pokemon, lol.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
A Steel Pokemon (Legendary or Pseudo-only?) to receive an ability that super-effective fire moves will be non-effective and to be called as 'Stainless' or 'Incombustible'. And, a Poison-type family to receive 'Inflammable' which triggers a 1/4 damage to the user if the opponent is hit by a fire-type move.

Marzbar

Ability: Sonar
Grants immunity to Rock and Steel attacks (including Stealth Rock)

This would be perfect for Crobat who needs a buff.
Potentially you could give it to Swoobat, Noivern, Wailord, Exploud, and Sandslash either forme. (Shrews use sonar IRL too)

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist

Potentially you could give it to Swoobat, Noivern, Wailord, Exploud, and Sandslash either forme. (Shrews use sonar IRL too)
I don't think it should be called Sonar, as Sonar lets you sense things, but doesn't give you the ability to automatically dodge every attack. Also it might make more sense to at least say CONTACT rock and steel moves have no effect as depending on what the special move is, a sonar could pick it up or not. Or just saying Steel and Rock contact moves have 50% accuracy against this pokemon or something would be more realistic.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.

I agree that that might not be the most telling name for that ability..... but it be interesting.... and possibly to powerful. That make a Pokemon like Crobat immune to Rock and Steel attacks, as well as Ground.

A while back I had a sound related ability named Sonar.

Sonar
Every time a this Pokemon uses a 'sound' based attack its accuracy increases a stage.

Another was

Echo (or Reverberate)
Turns all sound based attacks into 2 hit moves, each hit is 60% the base power of the attack.

Basic idea of the above is to boost sound base moves a bit, while also turning them into multi-hit moves (making stuff like Sturdy not matter).

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I have thought of an Ability that would prevent stat resets and also prevents the Pokémon from being switched out using opponents' moves.

Resilience
Prevents the effects of Haze on the field. Immune to the effects of Roar, Whirlwind, Dragon Tail and Circle Throw. Cannot be switched out using the Red Card.

Kung Fu Ferret

The Usurper
I came up with an ability that basically like Tough Claws (slightly weaker, but there's a catch), with the added effect of healing 25% of the damage dealt and/or a 10% chance of restoring 2 PP of a random move. The only name I have in mind for this hypothetical ability is "Carnivore", but that might be a little *too* on the nose.

Pokémon who could benefit from this ability include Sharpedo (as a regular ability) and Luxray (as the new Hidden ability because Guts isn't as good for Luxray nowadays)

Zaide

I'm not good with names, so I'll just say the effects I'd like from new abilities.
  • An ability that boosts the power of sound-based moves by 20-30%
    • And/or, an ability, much like described above, that causes echo from sound-based moves. However, I think it should be 100% then 25%, like Parental Bond, and that the second hit comes at the end of a turn following the use of a sound-based move. Secondary effects would still be kept on the second hit, I think, but it's debatable - could just be damage too. So if you use hyper voice on turn 1, on turn 2 your opponent would receive the equivalent of a 22 BP echo.
    • I would be careful on giving this to Pokémon that learn STAB boomburst
  • An ability that removes the power buff from an opponent's ability (so, sheer force, tough claws, the -ates, etc. wouldn't get their power boost when attacking a pokémon with this ability, although type changes remain)
  • An ability that removes secondary effects added by an opponents ability (poison touch, serene grace, etc.) - not sure if damage boosts are secondary effects (in which case the previous ability is a bit redundant)
  • An ability that boosts special attack by 50% under hail
  • An ability that causes a fixed 12% recoil to the opponent when it uses a non-contact special attack
  • An ability that mirrors indirect damage received to the opponent (or 50% of indirect damage)
    • Say you switch into one layer of spikes, then upon your switch, your opponent would also lose the same amount of HP that you lost
    • I don't know if entry hazards should be exempted from this, and/or status because of toxic.
    • It could also be (due to the reason above) that for each indirect damage received, your opponents loses 6% of its HP. So say you switch into 1 layer of spike, your opponent would lose 6%. Say you switch into 2 layers of spikes, your opponent would still lose 6%. 2 layers of spikes and rocks? 12% (6+6). You lose HP from status at the end of a turn? 6% to your opponent. Weather damage? 6%. Recoil? Never know if it's considered indirect damage, but if so, 6% too. Hurt in confusion? 6% to your opponent. And so on. Obviously if your pokémon is burned/poisoned, switches into rocks and spikes during hail/sandstorm, it would deal 24% over the course of one turn, so I don't know if it's too much or not balance wise.
  • An ability that boosts the power of a move by 10-20% if the same move was used on the previous turn (not cumulative, so using earthquake on turn 1 would result in it being 110-120 BP on turn 2, and if used on turn 3, it would still be 110-120 BP, not 121-132 BP)
  • On the opposite, an ability that boosts the power of a move by 10-20% if it was not used the turn before
  • Still following the same idea as the two previous abilities, but defensively, an ability that reduces damage taken by 30-50% (or cumulative 20%) if your pokémon is hit by the same move in consecutive turns
  • An ability that has a 50% chance of boosting held item effects by 20-50%, and a 50% chance of nullifying it (this is more of a funny ability than anything else and it shouldn't go on any serious pokémon, in the case of life orb it would also boost the recoil)
  • An ability that makes all damaging moves used or received by that pokémon critical hits
  • An ability that halves damage taken or given by that Pokémon by half when below 50% HP (so, your pokémon deals 50% less damage, but also takes 50% less damage)
    • Could also just be that your pokémon takes 50% less damage, but still deals the same amont of damage, don't know if it would be OP though
  • An ability that boosts the power of charging moves (hyperbeam, solarbeam, sky attack, giga impact, etc.) by 20-30%
And I'd also like to see some abilities buffed/changed.
  • Corrosion : Just make it so that it removes immunity to poison-type moves altogether, instead of just working for toxic
  • Liquid Voice : Add a 20% damage boost (similar to the -ates) OR add a 30% chance of causing confusion
  • Turboblaze/Teravolt : I agree with the poster above they need buffs, but instead of adding a (20%) damage boost to fire/electric type moves respectively, I'd say they should also ignore the effects of abilities that affect the user of a move, such as rough skin, tangling hair, etc. OR though I think it would just be way too overpowered, they totally nullify all other abilities.
  • Berserk : Should be activated by indirect damage OR boosts special attack by 2 stages, but can only be activated once (counter resets if switching out obviously)

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
  • Turboblaze/Teravolt : I agree with the poster above they need buffs, but instead of adding a (20%) damage boost to fire/electric type moves respectively, I'd say they should also ignore the effects of abilities that affect the user of a move, such as rough skin, tangling hair, etc. OR though I think it would just be way too overpowered, they totally nullify all other abilities.

What about make it so in addition to ignore abilities, they also ignore resistances, and Immunities? And/Or make them Mold Breaker + Burn/Paralyze versions of Corrosion.

Zaide

What about make it so in addition to ignore abilities, they also ignore resistances, and Immunities? And/Or make them Mold Breaker + Burn/Paralyze versions of Corrosion.
It doesn't really make any sense, and this is just compounding several abilities into one, which Gamefreak avoids of doing. At least with the ability nullifying thing, it is an upgrade over mold breaker which extends on the concept, much like full how metal body is an upgrade over clear body and how shadow shield is an upgrade over multiscale (in that they cannot be ignored by mold breaker or sunsteel/moongeist/photon)

The only "compound ability" I can think of is Water Bubble, which on top of reducing fire damage by 50% and preventing burn, doubles the BP of water moves.

Another thing, may I add, when thinking about potential new abilities, is that not every ability needs to have an special/physical counterpart, or for other types. This allows certain typings or certain category of walls/attackers to be distinguished, and increases gameplay diversity within the game. So, I strongly think there should not be special versions of fur coat, huge power and intimidate, for instance (just like I believe a physical assault vest would be dumb, even if it makes sense), nor do I think there should be too many -ate or -worker (though that one could work for 1-2 other types) style abilities, etc.

Also, about potential new abilities, I think drawing a parallel to Gen III is interesting, as that was when weather causing abilities were introduced. It came with a few weather based abilities, but most of the abilities affected by weather came in Gen IV. Therefore, I think it is extremely likely that we see more terrain based abilities like grass pelt or surge surfer, though not necessarily to the extent that we saw in Gen IV with weather abilities since terrains already offer a bunch of additional effects compared to weather.

Last edited:

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Startling: When this Pokemon enters battle the foe is startled and thier attack misses, and the receive 10% recoil damage.

Tsukuyomi56

Sky High Knight
Guard Break: Pokemon ignores the effects of "protecting" moves when attacking the foe. Does not negate the negative effects incurred from King's Shield, Baneful Bunker and Spikly Shield.

Corrosion been buffed to affect all Poison-types moves (not just inflicting the Poisoned status) would also be nice.

Ivannis

I though with an ability to stop a bit the use of the tapus. It's the Cloud Nine of the terrains instead of the weathers.

Terrain Block?
"All terrain effects are negated while the pokémon is on the field"

Status
Not open for further replies.