• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grey Wind

So, what if Mimikkyu actually does evolve, and changes into a bad Raichu costume instead?

And possibly evolves from a Pichu costume?

I don't know, I don't think I see it mimicking the whole line. I'm thinking that it could end up being a Klefki-esque standalone, although I hope it evolves at least once.

Macabrelicious

I'm complaining that my new favorite Salandite may turn up as Krookodile #2, many reptilian pokemon end up standing on their legs, which I find stupid.

I agree with you, and the other point you made about Salandit becoming bipedal making both Salandit2/3 and Krookodile less special.

I'm here for quadruped Salandit myself; I think Komodo dragons have a wonderful shape that would be lost (and look generic) if forced upright

wow just learned about bugs weakness towards fairy and ghost, which I think is incredibly stupid.
Why would bug type be not very effective to ghosts and fairies? That's ridiculous!
Anyways this makes me realize how shittier bug type pokemon are (never used them much) and how ghost pokemon have stupid typing matchups.

Ghosts can't die from poisoning because they're already dead, they can't be hit by normal things or fighting techniques because ghosts are portrayed as intangible, and don't have to worry about bugs because they're dead and arguably scarier than them. They break the concentration needed for psychic powers and bring fear, they're intangible and can't touch normal things in many depictions. Dark beats and resists them because ghosts are often seen as evil or malicious, where as Dark-Types are the evil type.

It's not very stupid, it's extremely easy to rationalise. As for Bug, it's meant to be weaker because bugs are seen as weak, but even then they're super effective on Psychic and Dark, both formidable offensive types, and resist Fighting and Ground, which are immensely present offensive types. It's just that a lot of Bug-Types suck.

And talking about intangibility, I really want a Ghost/Normal poltergeist with reverse Scrappy as an ability.

Sakuraba

So, wanna bet how much Mimikkyu will evolve by happiness and its evolution will not have a rag over it anymore?

Ominous Wind

The Ghost uses Pikachu merch as a disgusie because it wants to be loved.... Game Freak, are you all ok?

Kiteruguma looks really cute! I'm surprised.

Talonflame

Hatching Eggs
I'm thinking Mimikkyu either:
1) Might not evolve, it's a nice novelty Pokemon with its poor Pikachu Cosplay
2) If it does evolve, it'll be through affection/friendliness as some other users have suggested, but it will take off its Pikachu cosplay because it will finally be confident enough to be itself without fear of being rejected by others.

Class Zero

We have arrived.
So.. like.. Mimikkyu breaks the fourth wall, huh..
Its design has definitely grown on me, if only the same could be said about the monstrosity that is Kiteruguma..

Orphalesion

aweh yeah! soually hu cute how these two came out. One that gives you deadly hugs when you don't want it, and then one that wants you to give it a big hug but it's super shy. how perfect!

And now the brilliant part; Huggie Bear, being a normal/fighting typ,e can't actually hug Mimikkyu! D-: Biggest hugger in pokemon land can't hug the thing that wants to be hugged the most.

It's a tragic, poetic tale of the proportions of Romeo and Juliet!

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Ghosts can't die from poisoning because they're already dead, they can't be hit by normal things or fighting techniques because ghosts are portrayed as intangible, and don't have to worry about bugs because they're dead and arguably scarier than them. They break the concentration needed for psychic powers and bring fear, they're intangible and can't touch normal things in many depictions. Dark beats and resists them because ghosts are often seen as evil or malicious, where as Dark-Types are the evil type.

It's not very stupid, it's extremely easy to rationalise. As for Bug, it's meant to be weaker because bugs are seen as weak, but even then they're super effective on Psychic and Dark, both formidable offensive types, and resist Fighting and Ground, which are immensely present offensive types. It's just that a lot of Bug-Types suck.

And talking about intangibility, I really want a Ghost/Normal poltergeist with reverse Scrappy as an ability.

there we go! I knew it had some 'deeper' explanation like all the mythical types seem to have with their matchups. it is still a bit stupid imo. They could twist that with poison to ghost so easily, with fire shouldn't be neutral to them either, or ice. They're dead, they can't feel body temperature and therefore can't burn up or freeze. I don't like how they made the match-ups with bug type pokemon all dependent on the fear of bugs basically with the mythical types.

And now the brilliant part; Huggie Bear, being a normal/fighting typ,e can't actually hug Mimikkyu! D-: Biggest hugger in pokemon land can't hug the thing that wants to be hugged the most.

It's a tragic, poetic tale of the proportions of Romeo and Juliet!

hahaha aweh thats adorable. They could totally have an episode about this or something, I can see it now!

Bamboosle

I can see Mimikkyu (I LOVE HIM SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!! T.T) evolve just once. Outgrowing his "cosplay" but still wearing it.

So Mimmikyu uses sheets based off of Pikachu merch from 20 years ago because it wants to be loved? Three things I'm getting from this:

1) Nice 20 years reference.
2) I'm betting if Mimikyuu evolves, it'll be via affection or happiness.
3) THAT's ACTUALLY REALLY SAD ITS OKAY LIL BUDDY ILL LOVE YOU ;-;

That is best way lore wise yes! :D

there we go! I knew it had some 'deeper' explanation like all the mythical types seem to have with their matchups. it is still a bit stupid imo. They could twist that with poison to ghost so easily, with fire shouldn't be neutral to them either, or ice. They're dead, they can't feel body temperature and therefore can't burn up or freeze. I don't like how they made the match-ups with bug type pokemon all dependent on the fear of bugs basically with the mythical types.

Those are just my rationalisations though? Also, there's a thing called balance they also have to take into account.

Also, 'mythical types'?

IrieFuse

Unify To Thrive
So, wanna bet how much Mimikkyu will evolve by happiness and its evolution will not have a rag over it anymore?

that would be the best evolution ever. I would love to have it in my team if that happened. followed by synchro evolution because bonds.

DreamShield

OMG! OMG! O! M! G!

I love those two new pokemon! Never thought I'd see the day a Normal/Fighting mon would interest me, but here we have Lethal Hugs Bear! I think it will be a standalone, but gee, can you imagine how freaking cute its pre-evolution would be?

And I ADORE Mimikkyu! It has exactly the combination of cute and eerie that is embodied in many fairy legends. Love the badly made Pikachu outfit, though I'm hoping somewhat that it has a few more variations, like Flabebe and Vivillion.

inb4 somebody calls Mimikkyu an "exception"

Hundred percent all of this!

I've wanted a Ghost/Fairy since fairies were revealed and this is perfect! I love it's design and description, and it's perfect for the direction I knew was possible for Fairy. I'm not expecting it to evolve, it seems like a farfetch'd or Kecleon, but I won't mind if it does!

As for Lethal Hug Bear, the only fighting types I have ever actually had as favourites were Heracross and Mienshao, most others just can't do it for me. This one though, I think, is a very possible contender. Usually fighting type descriptions are boring for me, the moves aren't my kind of thing, their designs aren't interesting to me, or a combination of the three.

Last edited:

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
So.. like.. Mimikkyu breaks the fourth wall, huh..
Its design has definitely grown on me, if only the same could be said about the monstrosity that is Kiteruguma..
How does it break the fourth wall?

ReneEnjolras

Explorer of Ruins
I love Mimikkyu and its terrible Pikachu cosplay so much. It took me a few seconds to go from 'WTF?!' to 'OMG!' but I think it's going on my first team. (So far: Rowlett, Rockruff, Sandalit and Mimikkyu. Assuming I like all their evolutions.)

Am I right in thinking that it won't be weak to Poison OR Dark because of its typing? And it's immune to Bug altogether? That's pretty neat!
Its cosplay is pretty funny~ It may well be resistant to Poison and Dark because of its Ghost type. I'm curious~

Class Zero

We have arrived.
How does it break the fourth wall?

Being aware of Pikachu's worldwide popularity?
I mean I guess some of the Poke-Fan trainer class sprites wear Pikachu merch, but I wouldn't say Pikachu has too much of a popular presence in the in-game universe..

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
Kiteruguma looks like a costume. It's hideous.

The funny thing is I'm pretty sure that's the point. As far as I can gather, Kiteruguma is a portmanteau of kitten, kigurumi, and kuma (bear). Kitten and bear fit together because red pandas (which it appears to be based on) are sometimes called cat bears. As for kigurumi, that is a hooded onesie, usually resembling an animal, thus making it a costume. This is really clever, as it sort of makes it a bear in a cat costume, giving us a literal and figurative cat bear. Kudos Game Freak. Ku-dos.

Also, someone give Mimkkyu a hug and some ice cream, stat! It's ok little buddy, I'll train you! :'(

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
Being aware of Pikachu's worldwide popularity?
I mean I guess some of the Poke-Fan trainer class sprites wear Pikachu merch, but I wouldn't say Pikachu has too much of a popular presence in the in-game universe..
Well, it is present in almost every region, so it is possible that it is very popular but just not shown much.

ReneEnjolras

Explorer of Ruins
The funny thing is I'm pretty sure that's the point. As far as I can gather, Kiteruguma is a portmanteau of kitten, kigurumi, and kuma (bear). Kitten and bear fit together because red pandas (which it appears to be based on) are sometimes called cat bears. As for kigurumi, that is a hooded onesie, usually resembling an animal, thus making it a costume. This is really clever, as it sort of makes it a bear in a cat costume, giving us a literal and figurative cat bear. Kudos Game Freak. Ku-dos.
If they really did that... I'll give Gamefreak ten plates of Internet cookies. That is really clever idea. Makes me like Kiteruguma all the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.