• Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LockFelino

Sparkling Noodleboi
After listening to it again and again, I can kind of hear Mimikyu's cry being a ghostly/distorted/poorly imitated version of the cry Pikachu used to have. Which I think is adorable.

storm12

Weather Bearer
I've seen Wimpod called a horseshoe crab and a trilobite but surely it's more based on an isopod? Marine crustacean = Bug/Water?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isopoda

Specifically it looks like a woodlouse so I expect Rollout, Gyroball etc. and I really hope Gamefreak haven't trolled us again and actually have a Bug/Water evo for Wimpod, if it is a standalone I will be furious because it looks very weak. I want a useable Bug/Water!

Comfey is interesting, even though it is highly reminiscent of Klefki which indicates it might not evolve but then again it also reminds me of Flabebe so it could go either way. Depending on how much the flowers become a part of it's design I hope it actually gets a Grass subtype when it evolves.

Bewear! It makes me think its name involves wear because it literally looks like a bear suit rather than an actual animal.

Mudsdale is awesome, one of my favorite Ground types ever. I can't wait to ride one ;)

I don't have much to say on Bounsweet.

Last edited:

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Wimpod reminds me more of a wharf roach than a trilobite because the former usually un away from people when they approach them.
I thought it was a trilobite myself at first, but the fact its not a fossil pokemon and its name tells me its most likely based on a copepod (a name for a wide away of tiny crustaceans that look much like Wimpod aside from usually having only one eye). Fittingly due to their tiny size and lack of physical defenses copepods don't have much in the way of defense aside from being very fast at escaping predators.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copepod

Storm12 could be right about it being an isopod, but its tail makes it look more like a copepod to me. Perhaps it will evolve into an isopod?

Last edited:

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
I thought about something recently
Everyone has their team planned out. But what makes you think you can have that team early on?

What if the horse or salandit or whoever, is only accessible late into the game. Are you just going to use your starter and one or two early mons until you reach those late game places? This is why I got a back up team planned out which I will transfer wit pokebank
Actually, I don't have my team planned out yet, pretty much for this reason.

Wadeledge

Till all are One
I thought about something recently
Everyone has their team planned out. But what makes you think you can have that team early on?

What if the horse or salandit or whoever, is only accessible late into the game. Are you just going to use your starter and one or two early mons until you reach those late game places? This is why I got a back up team planned out which I will transfer wit pokebank

This happens every time there's a new generation. People's plans don't always pan out, I remember how sure I was that I was going to use Pangoro last time and then my Chespin became part fighting and I dropped it and didn't use one until my 3rd playthrough. I've not decided with certainty on any team members besides whatever Rowlet evolves in to, then in order of "probably gonna use" it's Rockruff, Yungoos, Mudsdale, and then Mimikyu. The others are firm maybes and even the other could be rotated out if I find something else I want to use that fills the same role.

*Note: I only use new Pokemon my first time through each region.

I honestly am not a big fan of the "goofy" aesthetic they have been going for with new Pokémon. I like Bounsweet, Comfey and Mimikyu out of the newly revealed ones.

Bounsweet looks like it could be Cherubi's pre evolution, probably not though.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
I honestly am not a big fan of the "goofy" aesthetic they have been going for with new Pokémon. I like Bounsweet, Comfey and Mimikyu out of the newly revealed ones.

Bounsweet looks like it could be Cherubi's pre evolution, probably not though.

Only a few have been kind of goofy honestly, drampa, the horse is a little bit...and maybe yungoose just with the teeth.

storm12

Weather Bearer
I thought it was a trilobite myself at first, but the fact its not a fossil pokemon and its name tells me its most likely based on a copepod (a name for a wide away of tiny crustaceans that look much like Wimpod aside from usually having only one eye). Fittingly due to their tiny size and lack of physical defenses copepods don't have much in the way of defense aside from being very fast at escaping predators.

Storm12 could be right about it being an isopod, but its tail makes it look more like a copepod to me. Perhaps it will evolve into an isopod?

Interesting :) thanks for mentioning that, they look like they certainly served as an inspiration too. I hope we get a giant isopod :O

Giant_isopod.jpg

They're actually kind of cute, in a really gross way.

AlexTogekiss

Isn't it a wharf roach? Wharf Roach are found in beaches, they are very shy so they run away when they hear someone approaching them, they are usually found in groups and they are known as the "scavengers of the beach"

Here is a pic of one http://https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQcy087UXysH2NVl21ohz9Zm7-T-Ju-dUwCL4PCxnHnxbuZGqM9

Wadeledge

Till all are One
Interesting :) thanks for mentioning that, they look like they certainly served as an inspiration too. I hope we get a giant isopod :O

Giant_isopod.jpg

They're actually kind of cute, in a really gross way.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
I'm going to pretend I never saw this...

Only a few have been kind of goofy honestly, drampa, the horse is a little bit...and maybe yungoose just with the teeth.

Bruxish and Bewear are also goofy imo. Wimpod is kinda goofy too.

Not that there is anything wrong with goofy Pokémon, I just have a feeling there will be many of them in this generation instead of a few, like with older generations.

storm12

Weather Bearer
Isn't it a wharf roach? Wharf Roach are found in beaches, they are very shy so they run away when they hear someone approaching them, they are usually found in groups and they are known as the "scavengers of the beach"

Here is a pic of one http://https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQcy087UXysH2NVl21ohz9Zm7-T-Ju-dUwCL4PCxnHnxbuZGqM9

This all sounds very convincing as a basis and they are isopods too:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ligia_exotica

This species in particular.
Bruxish and Bewear are also goofy imo. Wimpod is kinda goofy too.

Not that there is anything wrong with goofy Pokémon, I just have a feeling there will be many of them in this generation instead of a few, like with older generations.

goofy good :D

Last edited:

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
There has been a notable lack of "majestic" looking pokemon aside from the cover legendaries. But that is probably because we have been mostly getting first stage pokemon, cute pokemon, gimmick pokemon, etc. Hopefully we'll get some more like Noivern, Avalugg, Pyroar, Aegislash, Dragalge, etc.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
I'm going to pretend I never saw this...
Aww, they're harmless scavengers, basically like pillbugs (they'll even roll up in a ball).

Just ya know, a few hundred times bigger, with really big and menacing eyes...

Last edited:

storm12

Weather Bearer
There has been a notable lack of "majestic" looking pokemon aside from the cover legendaries. But that is probably because we have been mostly getting first stage pokemon, cute pokemon, gimmick pokemon, etc. Hopefully we'll get some more like Noivern, Avalugg, Pyroar, Aegislash, Dragalge, etc.

Wait for Rockruff's, Comfey and Cutiefly's evos ;)

TrottingMinccino

Can also jump!
I'm going to be that guy and say that i'm loving all the new pokemon so far!

Mudsdale has a real nice design, it's got dreadlocks! It appears it has a move that's exclusive to it, it must have a heck of a hoof! I've read somewhere where it's heavier than a Snorelax?? Just how much mud IS on that horse!?

Comfey is an adorable Hawaiian lei, which I think is quite fitting. It's ability seems pretty interesting too, I can imagine alot of places where it will be useful! It reminds me of an island cousin of Flabébé.

Wimpod, need I say more? It's got a face that makes it seem like it REALLY doesn't want to be there. It's pretty funny! I bet they'll be a pain to catch unless you have a Quick Ball or give it a status that's not Burn or Poison. Though I wonder how Wimp Out works in Trainer battles...

Bounsweet is another cute one, it looks kind of like a Cherubi 2.0! That said, i'm curious if if has an evolution that can transform similarly to Cherrim.

Mimkyu, that's a pretty curious one. I guess the critter underneath that disguise must be idolize Pikachu A LOT, why else would it look like that? Plus for some reason I find the message when its ability activates amusing!

Bewear is also totally adorable! As dangerous as its made out to be, crushing everything it gets his paws on and splitting logs with the swipe of its tail, I can't help but think of it as actually a gentle giant who's just a total klutz. Plus it's ability is "Fluffy", that alone warrants a hug! (Even though it would probably crush me, but it'll be worth it!)

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Sugi still designs. He actually did some of the character artwork (Hau, Lillie and Kukui so far).
The final official artwork for the Pokemon was done by someone else though.

Yes, I'm aware he still designs I just wasn't exactly sure if he made the official artwork.

Missingno.Fan

I love Mudsdale. I always wanted another horse. I sort of like Wimpod too for some weird reason. The rest are just meh to me. Comfey just seems like a derivative of Flabebe and Bounsweet seems like a derivative of Cherubi.

Daisukereds

I hope Wimpod has a move that will help it cure itself, and maybe recycle (since it cleans the sea)? Just call it "The Referee" and have it hold a Red Card. I've always wanted something that would make both Pokemon in play switch at the same time.
Also, the design and typing! Great. Most probably will lose the [wimp out] ability if it evolves, which is partially a shame..

Status
Not open for further replies.