• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gizmoa

Are you should marketing would say no. I would think they could make a small fortune selling different type Pikachu plushies and other merchandise. There is no reason they still couldn't keep the original as the mascot.

Yeah, and they do already. Pikachu has seen numerious forms that involve costumes, but the core TM needs to stay consistent for the branding. They could do a special costume version, or change the size of pikachu, but a major core design change could be problematic and confusing to the brand recognition as a whole.

EmphaticPikachu

A tired little girl~
Keep tellin' yourself that. They're not new pokemon. Making changes to existing pokemon is clearly far easier than making new ones from scratch. This is just GF being lazy AF.

Really, I don't give a crap whether its considered lazy or not. I like them. Being more easily able to create something different out of what you have already also allows a lot more time towards other things in the game, which was exactly why I was okay with megas.

Captain America X

I liked the days better when we got new evolutions and pre-evolutions for old pokemon. These alternative stuff isn't my thing and I like the other guy find it kinda cheap.

Really?These are on par if not more creative than pre or new evos for old pokemon.

Also,define uow is it cheap?

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
Apparently, with the recent forms, we have only 32 type combinations left.

Gizmoa

1) For all we know, there could be new dex entries. In Kalos we had a central, coastal and mountain pokedex, so in Alola we might get a regional pokedex for each island. If one island contains the regular Vulpix and a second island contains the ice form, then each form could be in a different area's pokedex. I also find it interesting that if they actually do this, they will actually have to make the effort to write a new pokedex entry instead of reusing a mixture of the ones from red, blue, yellow, gold and silver as they have done for years.

2) I very much doubt that this will be the case. As you say, unlike things such as Rotom, Fire Vulpix and Ice Vulpix are very different at their core. If they implement these changes without making it so that you can use both forms, something is very wrong!

1) I would expect multipage dex entries with one page per form, rather than each form getting it's own # is what I meant.

2) Yes, my thoughts exactly.

Unrelated side note: For those saying the new forms are easier/cheap, they are not, by any means, easier to create (I am a game developer, I have experience with these things. I have many times battled client's thinking this sort of thing will be a short cut and have to explain that it is not going to work out that way). They are not recolors, but reimaginings, which means entirely new core assets with the exception of the skeletal rig in some cases, which is already something shared between many pokemon as any similar form can use the same rig. In some cases, shared animations may work, but not in others. This is not a workload shortcut, and is even trickier to pull off since people have preconceived ideas about the pokemon and could backlash more easily from introduced design changes. A few might be able to start with the old 3D model and edit it, though that too will usually not end up being a major time saver in the end and will only work in some cases.

Last edited:

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
I liked the days better when we got new evolutions and pre-evolutions for old pokemon. These alternative stuff isn't my thing and I like the other guy find it kinda cheap.
I fail to see how these Alola forms are any more different than pre-evos/evos.

Salamandit

Some are just recolored (sandshrew and vulpix) and it makes the games chaotic in my opinion, I never really liked the alternative evolution thing to start with

And i'd rather see a bone lord type of Marowak evolution (even a mega Marowak) than one of my favorite gen 1 pokemon turn into just another fire pokemon, something I just don't seem fit for marowak. At least ninetales makes a bit sense to become like a polar fox, but sandslash? Ice/steel? No don't really my thing. Rather seen a Ground/Steel or Ground/Ice evolution or mega-evolution.

Digitalkaiser65

Dark Master
These new Alolan forms have got me thinking about Wormadam.

Before now, Wormadam was the only pokemon whose type, form, amd moveset varied by location, particularly the location of its pre-evolution prior to evolving. Honestly, I have to admit, it's given me a newfound respect for Wormadam. I can now appreciate its (now former) uniqueness.

What's really neat is that Wormadam will basically be our guide to understanding how these forms will work in terms of gameplay.

This is a great point, I was also thinking about this.
Especially as we are due for 4th gen remake at some point, Alola utilizing some of the themes introduced in those games makes a lot of sense.

Thepowaofhax

You know, I wonder; will Icetales get Snow Warning as a hidden ability as Ninetales gets Drought? If so, it could easily be the best Pokemon for setting up Hail. It's also likely it could get Ghost-type moves as well via TM, like Shadow Ball.

Digitalkaiser65

Dark Master
Some are just recolored (sandshrew and vulpix) and it makes the games chaotic in my opinion, I never really liked the alternative evolution thing to start with

And i'd rather see a bone lord type of Marowak evolution (even a mega Marowak) than one of my favorite gen 1 pokemon turn into just another fire pokemon, something I just don't seem fit for marowak. At least ninetales makes a bit sense to become like a polar fox, but sandslash? Ice/steel? No don't really my thing. Rather seen a Ground/Steel or Ground/Ice evolution or mega-evolution.

But they aren't just recolors? Sandshrew is markedly different with the ridges and its head dome thing, as is vulpix with its varying tail and head tuft. Its not just recolors.
These forms are basically new pokemon, new types, new stats weights, new moves, even new evolution methods, I just fail to see how you would consider that lazy?
It takes inspiration from Darwin theory or species being different based on location/evolution. I think thats plenty inspired!

Salamandit

Like I said before, i'd rather seen more new pokemon, I don't like these alternative colors and models for GEN 1 pokemon.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
You know, I wonder; will Icetales get Snow Warning as a hidden ability as Ninetales gets Drought? If so, it could easily be the best Pokemon for setting up Hail. It's also likely it could get Ghost-type moves as well via TM, like Shadow Ball.

I'm more curious to see if the Alolan Vulpix and Ninetales will still have a Fire move or two in them. It would be neat to see a the Ice Ninetales breakout a Flamethrower.

Before anyone tries it, Rhydon can learn Surf, so shut-up.

Captain America X

They have more changes than colour.Their physical features also changed.They weren't just drastically changed so that they resemble their cousin species.

Brilliant logic there.Fire to Ice makes perfect sense but Ground to Ice/Steel does not.How does a fire fox turn into a polar fox?

Mega Evos are even less creative than these alternative species.These has more thought put into it than super saiyan for pokemon.

These just sound like people wanting the same old same old and not liking new stuff.

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
I'm in love with this concept.

The very idea of climate based subspecies, that Pokemon will 'evolve' in different ways based on their environment, makes the world feel much more alive and realistic. Pokemon don't have to be confined to a single Region or Generation as their 'native' land anymore. There's so much potential too; you could practically remake every Regional PokeDex with this idea. Expanding on them all in new ways. I hope this becomes a mainstay.

Digitalkaiser65

Dark Master
Like I said before, i'd rather seen more new pokemon, I don't like these alternative colors and models for GEN 1 pokemon.

Well then that's great, you'll get that too! Lots of new pokemon revealed with more to come!

I just think calling it 'lazy' is kind of a cop-out when all you personally want is new Pokemon. Its okay to have that opinion, but I don't think Forms are lazy, they add a lot of variety and spice into the competitive scene as well as the pokemon lore. Not to mention, there will be a time when making MORE new pokemon won't really be an option (when your getting near 1k like we are) Alternative forms that are effectively like new pokemon, is a great way for the pokemon company to add to our list of usable pokemon without needing to pump the pokedex # up a few hundred slots every couple years.

Thepowaofhax

I'm more curious to see if the Alolan Vulpix and Ninetales will still have a Fire move or two in them. It would be neat to see a the Ice Ninetales breakout a Flamethrower.

Before anyone tries it, Rhydon can learn Surf, so shut-up.
It would make sense for it to be able to get moves like Flamethrower if it breeds with a normal Vulpix/Ninetales, seeing as it is a subspecies and could be an evolutionary fragment in the Alolan Ninetales's DNA.

Salamandit

They have more changes than colour.Their physical features also changed.They weren't just drastically changed so that they resemble their cousin species.

Brilliant logic there.Fire to Ice makes perfect sense but Ground to Ice/Steel does not.How does a fire fox turn into a polar fox?

Mega Evos are even less creative than these alternative species.These has more thought put into it than super saiyan for pokemon.

These just sound like people wanting the same old same old and not liking new stuff.

Mostly Gen 1 getting new models again, then some extremely popular other gen pokemon maybe. Then they drop it again like the super sayan mega-evolutions, which i'm also not a fan off. I want them to change the game play a lot, don't mind that, but not this alternative forms for old pokemon.

Wingulltrainer

Marowak already throws around bones, now it can throw around torches I guess. I would expect pure fire though since if it is not digging in the ground to rob graves for femur bones, it wouldn't really have any ground relationship... I hope it has a different helmet too, that would be cool (unless that thing is always an exoskeletal armor grown by marowaks that is shed and woven into the eggs(cocoons) of the babies/given to babies at hatch... Cubone and Marowak have long been favorites of mine, and I don't expect the new form to replace the old ones in that regard. Something about the original designs just feel right... not the bone elements either, the silhouette is what I have always liked (though they failed to capture some of marowak's feel when transitioning to 3d for me)

Godzilla legs and the fact that it turned into an even more dinosaury shape is why grass/dragon for exeggutor... but I agree, it is a stretch... then again, why was it half psychic before? I think they just felt ready for a grass dragon xD Really it is logical once you look at the whole "is it a lizard monster born of eggs, or is it a tree monster born of seeds?" thing.

I like how it attacks by face planting on things xD

what if it changed so that there were forms with slowbro being the vestigial part?

yeah, that is pretty great. I like how it is lashing out because things are blocking it's sunlight when young and then just delights in luring in and beating the snot out of things when it grows up, lol. Very sadistic pokemon.

Your mention of marowak made me remember about the luau fire dancers with tiki torches, so now it makes perfect sense to me.

ECM

It makes me wish that had done this sooner. I feel like the clinate in Hoenn and Sinnoh could've prompted some Pokémon to change. I need to see more Alolan form Pokémon to decide how I feel about it, though I'm loving Ice/Fairy Ninetales.

Thepowaofhax

Mostly Gen 1 getting new models again, then some extremely popular other gen pokemon maybe. Then they drop it again like the super sayan mega-evolutions, which i'm also not a fan off. I want them to change the game play a lot, don't mind that, but not this alternative forms for old pokemon.
I highly doubt they dropped mega-evos, it's very likely we're getting more delta species-like mons in future gens as well as Mega-Evos.

Status
Not open for further replies.