• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LockFelino

Sparkling Noodleboi
*facepalm* *headdesk* *headesks* *headdesk*

Alolan Forms...really? Really GF? You have to keep shoving the Kanto mons down our throat, possibly at the expense of actual new pokemon?

I mean I won't complain too much about an Ice/Fairy variation of Ninetales and to some extend I can see the merit of pokemon having "sub-species" or whatever, but please don't produce them at the cost of potential new pokemon, not all of us are Genwunners (not that Genwunners are the only people who could like them, like I said I'd love a Ice/Fairy Ninetales)

In fairness, we don't know if it's exclusively Kanto Pokemon getting the retweaks. I myself would love to see a Ghost/Flying or Psychic/Flying Noctowl, or Fighting/Bug Ledian

Mudster

Master of the Legend
What a day! Most excited I've been about the main series for a long time, and I've been playing since Red and Blue.

Firstly - Alolan subspecies. In my opinion, great idea. Whilst I did like mega evolutions, I think I prefer this, and these ones have interesting type combinations too. I look forward to training them (and sticking them in 2v2 matches with their original counterpart). I look forward to the next ones over the coming months (hopefully they save some). It sounds like a (at least part) fire type Marowak could be on its way.

- Exeggutor: Plain bonkers. Gives me a slight Jabberwocky vibe, so I get the part dragon typing. Nice to have this combo on a non-mega Pokémon.
- Vulpix and Ninetales: Beautiful designs for these two, and I like the Ice/Fairy typing of Ninetales. My shiny Ninetales will look awesome alongside its icy cousin
- Sandshrew and Sandslash: I was probably least impressed by this one. I like the unique typing though.

In terms of the new Pokémon, again pretty strong. This is shaping up to be one of the favourite generations:
- Gumshoos: Wasn't a massive fan of Yungoos, and I can't say that really changes here. I'm sure a few may be nicknamed after a certain American tycoon running for president...
- Mudbray: Sweet design, though given that we already knew its evolution I'm more interested in the end product, and I did like Mudsdale.
- Minior: Probably one of the first Pokémon designs this generation I haven't been really thrilled with. I like the concept behind it though, just not sure if I could make it that useful.
- Fomantis and Lurantis: I like these two, and completely fair play for not giving them the 'expected' (at least on design) additional bug typing. I still expect it'll learn X-Scissor, and a physical version of Solarbeam in the form of Solar Blade sounds very interesting.
- Oricorio: Nice concept, my favourite of the four being the ghost typing, and it's nice that we're getting some extra non-legendary fliers that are part fire, ghost and electric. The psychic one we could have done without, would have been nice to see part fairy perhaps.

Thepowaofhax

In fairness, we don't know if it's exclusively Kanto Pokemon getting the retweaks. I myself would love to see a Ghost/Flying or Psychic/Flying Noctowl, or Fighting/Bug Ledian
I would doubt Ledian getting an Alolan form seeing as we have normal Ledybas in the first area of the game.

Azhdarcho

I'm assuming the alternate form Pokemon will have the same BST as the regular ones, but have a different distribution. Sandshrew-A's official description talks about how they're more defensive but slower than regular Sandshrews.

LockFelino

Sparkling Noodleboi
I would doubt Ledian getting an Alolan form seeing as we have normal Ledybas in the first area of the game.

Oh damn, I forgot all about that. Does Exeggcute have any differences from normally? It could potentially be the evolution itself that changes, no big loss either way I suppose.

Red and Blue

So does this mean less Gen 7 pokemon? I imagine ninetails and Sandslash won't be the only ones to get the Alolan version

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Oh damn, I forgot all about that. Does Exeggcute have any differences from normally? It could potentially be the evolution itself that changes, no big loss either way I suppose.
Exeggcute is normal looking in the Japanese trailer. It is shown to evolve into the Alola forme then.

Thepowaofhax

We haven't actually seen an Exeggcute-A, but there will probably be one seeing as it would be weird for a Grass/Psychic to suddenly become Grass/Dragon.

Orphalesion

I doubt they'll take time away from making new Pokémon. It's basically just the same Pokémon with a different coloration and type, which shouldn't take too long to make.

Similar things could be said for Mega Evolutions, but I hope you are right.

After calming down a bit, I have to say I actually like this concept, it should have shown up way sooner!

Ice/Fairy Ninetales? Yes please! I think Ninetales could make for a great ice type.

Ice/Steel Sandslash? Awesome, both it and Sandshrew look awesome as an Igloo and a collection of ice crystals respectively.

Grass/Dragon Exeggutor? Still want a new family with that typing but...man that thing looks leaps and bounds better than the Kanto version!

anybody up for a Grass/Fire Alolan Bellossom? A Bug/Dragon Alolan Flygon? An Electric/Dark Alolan Shinx? The posibilities are quite endless...

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
So does this mean less Gen 7 pokemon? I imagine ninetails and Sandslash won't be the only ones to get the Alolan version
As said before, doubt it as these forms don't look super complicated to make.

Considering that in the anime it was supposed to be resistant to Water type move and weak to Fire.

Maybe it could be part Ice, i mean crystal is more related to Ice in looks than any other type.
Maybe Rock/Steel? But that wouldn't be very different once it evolves...

I have to say that I really dig these new forms. I wasn't really into Mega-Evolutions, heck they even made me quit playing pokemon, but forms I do like. Ninetails and Sandslash are awesome and hopefully they keep some moves from the past or maybe learn more with breeding. I even like Exeggutor haha, although the Dragon type seems unnecessary but GF has made the Dragon-type less special and even handed it to a dinosaur like pokemon like that T-rex last Gen. And GF is pretty smart with pokemon Go and these new forms of gen 1 pkmn to lure back the first generation of pokemon players. Nice move.

But if someone could be so kind to give me a link to these leaks or rumors since I have missed them. Plus that Fire Marowak is a good find so hopefully it'll be Fire/Ground or something. I really love this gen already!

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
We haven't actually seen an Exeggcute-A, but there will probably be one seeing as it would be weird for a Grass/Psychic to suddenly become Grass/Dragon.

The Japanese trailer heavily suggest that it evolves from a normal Exeggcute (marked).

Unless the trailer is trying to be deceitful (which I really doubt), Alolan Exeggutor is obtained from evolution as opposed from the start of the line.

One thing that could happen is if Exeggcute specifically from the Alola region are the only ones to evolve, or if its more of a reflection of the ecotype.

Phillies

Mostly Gen 1 getting new models again, then some extremely popular other gen pokemon maybe. Then they drop it again like the super sayan mega-evolutions, which i'm also not a fan off. I want them to change the game play a lot, don't mind that, but not this alternative forms for old pokemon.

Do you feel the same way about Eevee? If no how is this any different?

Thepowaofhax

Considering that in the anime it was supposed to be resistant to Water type move and weak to Fire.

Maybe it could be part Ice, i mean crystal is more related to Ice in looks than any other type.
Crystal Onix is weak to Fire and resistant to Water, however. The three types that resist Water are Grass, Dragon and Water. It's very likely that it is actually a Grass-type due to it being the only type with these properties. It has to include Grass in its typing, and could be either just Grass or Grass and Normal, Electric, Ice, Fighting, Ghost, Poison, Flying, Psychic, Dark, Steel, Fairy and Bug. Let's narrow this down.

Due to sedimentary rocks forming near water typically turning into Sandstone, something that produces Quartz, this actually gives hint to the most likely secondary typing. Crystal Onix, according to many of Onix's pokedex entries, could've formed in these quartz deposits, which is used in glass making and has been used for carving for thousands of years. Quartz's chemical compounds is Silicon Dioxide, used in manufacturing glass. Silicon itself is a metalloid and has a similar melting point to steel. Most likely, Crystal Onix is Grass/Steel.

Last edited:

Missingno.Fan

My thoughts on the new Pokémon:
Gumshoos: Is this thing supposed to look like Donald Trump? I joked around with a friend a while back that Yungoos's evolution should look like Hillary Clinton but this is ridiculous.
Mudbray:I have been wanting a donkey for quite some time now, so I am glad to see this.
Minior: Uhh, what?
Fomantis/Lurantis: These I like. I have one issue with them: why aren't they Grass/Bug?
Oricorio: This is a very clever gimmick.

Orphalesion

Crystal Onix is weak to Fire and resistant to Water, however. The three types that resist Water are Grass, Dragon and Water. It's very likely that it is actually a Grass-type. It has to include Grass in its typing, and could be either just Grass or Grass and Normal, Electric, Ice, Fighting, Ghost, Poison, Flying, Psychic, Dark, Steel, Fairy and Bug. Let's narrow this down.

Due to sedimentary rocks forming near water typically turning into Sandstone, something that produces Quartz, this actually gives hint to the most likely secondary typing. Crystal Onix, according to many of Onix's pokedex entries, could've formed in these quartz deposits, which is used in glass making and has been used for carving for thousands of years. Quartz's chemical compounds is Silicon Dioxide, used in manufacturing glass. Silicon itself is a metalloid and has a similar melting point to steel. Most likely, Crystal Onix is Grass/Steel!

But Grass would make no sense with the design... the type resistance/weakness does not have to be the exact same as in the anime.

I"d like to see a version of Onix that isn't completely useless though, or that evolves into something that's less hideous than Steelix. Rock/Fairy would work imho, given the association of the Fairy Type with Gemstones. Or Ice/Psychic.

08davise

Does this now mean that the Chinese leak starter final evos are real as they show in the 'leaked artwork' Mallow with littens Evo. Also I love how the exeggcutor is a possible nod to the jungle tcg box from way back when lol.

Oo, here's a fun thought. With regional forms maybe we could get the Ukulele Pichu from Pokemon Ranger: Guardian Signs. The Ukulele is pretty commonly associated with Hawaii after all. This wouldn't really be something for battling, just a fun gimmick.

I have mixed feelings about the Alola forms, because I do see how they're functionally the same as getting new species (different types, movepools, appearance, etc) but like Megas it doesn't really feel the same as having truly new species.

As for the new guys, I'm pretty content. It's neat to see another species with multiple forms that each have their own types and movepools, but by the looks of it I don't have much confidence that the new bird will be really powerful. I wonder how its ability will work with Teeter Dance, and if you can force it to commit suicide using Lunar Dance.

Status
Not open for further replies.