• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I love all these new Pokemon variants. Dragon Exeggcutor will take some getting used to though. :p Loving the new Ice type Vulpix and Ninetales.

Anthea

Yes please, I'd love to see this happen.

One leak going around has an Alolain Pidove mentioned.

To an extent, yes, but this is a celebration of the franchise as a whole, not just one particular part of it. Pokémon is much more then just Gen 1 and it shouldn't forget that, so a balanced respect to all aspects of the franchise should be want is aimed for then being completely stuck in one part of the past.
It's clear gf likes to go in chronological order with these things

Why the paranoia and the whining?!

You saw kanto get their starters before hoenn for the oras series. It's clear that other gens will EVENTUALLY get attention. Are you seriously mad and angry just because a measly 3 alt forms were revealed for kanto?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
You do know other gens get butlicked too. Blaziken getting a mega before his peers. Gninja and his exclusive form. Just childish this fanbase is. Wow

Psychic69

That same rumor also mentioned that some pokemon, like Arbok, would get cosmetic variants. The white pidove could just be that, rather than a proper Alolan variant. The way that rumor was structured was kind of vague though.

The fact that it's completely white makes me think it's another Ice-type Alola form though. Seems like a pattern.

cmats4020

It's clear gf likes to go in chronological order with these things

Why the paranoia and the whining?!

You saw kanto get their starters before hoenn for the oras series. It's clear that other gens will EVENTUALLY get attention. Are you seriously mad and angry just because a measly 3 alt forms were revealed for kanto?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
You do know other gens get butlicked too. Blaziken getting a mega before his peers. Gninja and his exclusive form. Just childish this fanbase is. Wow

Tao wasn't whining, nor was he/she acting the way you described. He was calm, clear and concise in his logic. In the end, stating the entire fanbase as a whole is childish based on this one post is childish itself.

The fact that it's completely white makes me think it's another Ice-type Alola form though. Seems like a pattern.

White doesn't always equal Ice though, especially if its based off of a dove. While doves do live in snowy parts of the world, they avoid extremely cold areas and live mostly below northern areas of the globe.

DemonDragon

Ironclad trainer
there is a rumor that we're getting a Bug/Psychic Butterfree and a Water Arcanine along with Fighting Alakazam and Dark Raticate in the Chinese leaks which seems to be mostly if not 100% true so I'm willing to think this will happen. We'll have to see.

Dark Raticate would be interesting, because with the new Alola formes I was wondering; Maybe Ratata or Raticate IS the pokemon Yangoos was introduced to Alola to control? But it is a alola variant forme of Ratata/Raticate?

ECM

Play nice kids. To be fair, generation 1 does get special treatment and extra attention, and I agree that the 20th anniversary should pay homage to the series as a whole. That being said, it is technically the 20th anniversary of the original games and I can see that being a good argument as to why it should get more attention. In the end though, I trust that GameFreak knows that there are way more fans that started off with gens other than the first than there are people who started with gen one, so even if they don't get as much love this time, which is a little too early to tell I think, then in the future they will definitely be getting the homage they deserve.

Gizmoa

Dark Raticate would be interesting, because with the new Alola formes I was wondering; Maybe Ratata or Raticate IS the pokemon Yangoos was introduced to Alola to control? But it is a alola variant forme of Ratata/Raticate?
Yeah, that seems reasonable.

Play nice kids. To be fair, generation 1 does get special treatment and extra attention, and I agree that the 20th anniversary should pay homage to the series as a whole. That being said, it is technically the 20th anniversary of the original games and I can see that being a good argument as to why it should get more attention. In the end though, I trust that GameFreak knows that there are way more fans that started off with gens other than the first than there are people who started with gen one, so even if they don't get as much love this time, which is a little too early to tell I think, then in the future they will definitely be getting the homage they deserve.
Gen 1 really didn't see any special attention until gen 6 though. I felt like those pokemon were fading away after the remakes until then.

Last edited:

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
That same rumor also mentioned that some pokemon, like Arbok, would get cosmetic variants. The white pidove could just be that, rather than a proper Alolan variant. The way that rumor was structured was kind of vague though.

The leak blatantly calls Pidove an "Alolan Pidove" though, so I'm more inclined to think it's an Alolan variant rather then a special case like Arbok (though that assumes Arbok itself isn't one).

I understand, but if we go into specifics, this is the 20th Anniversary of the first generation. No one's stuck in an era of time, and there will more than likely be more regional variants in the future of different generational Pokémon.

It's the 20th anniversary of both the first generation and the franchise as a whole, when other franchises celebrate their landmark dates, they usually don't just celebrate the first game/movie/book/etc. of their franchise, they celebrate the whole thing. So Pokémon should celebrate all aspects of the franchise, it's more then just one part that has led to this big moment, it's a multitude of parts that have contributed to its success and each deserves to be celebrated for their contributions.

Right, because Gen 3 also had its Starter and Legendary get 2 Megas, a forest remade in its image, legendaries that replaced the typical trio caught in another region, its starters available within the main story, its starters and legendaries getting access to the new toys before the current generation even got a chance, among other things, all outside of its remake.

Except no, that's not what happened. Kanto got the lion share of the favoritism over any other generation and pretending its equal to all others is basically ignoring what has been present in the franchise. When people critique the overfocus on Gen 1, it's not because it got focus, it's because it got a bunch of it to the point that it consistently overshadowed others in that same regard, included Gen 6 in some respects within its own generation. If it was more balanced, no one would care, but that's not the case and that's why the complaints exists.

And actually pay attention to what I said as I never complained about the Alola forms we know about currently, I'm only talking about the possibility of others outside of Kanto.

Last edited:

gliscor&yanmega

I'm sure more than Gen 1 will get them. Not sure what the leaks say exactly about it but you can never fully trust a leak be it adding in fake info or forgetting something.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if Gen 1 is one of the most.

Ideally, about 5 for each Gen though.

Julia Artemis

Honestly I have no issue with the Alola forms just being the 1st gen pokemon if that's the case. Anyways this made me far more interested in older pokemon than the Megao evos did. They totally take old pokemon and turn them on their head. I mean what would a Fighting Alakazam even look like and fight like?

cmats4020

. . . when other franchises celebrate their landmark dates, they usually don't just celebrate the first game/movie/book/etc. of their franchise, they celebrate the whole thing.

Not every franchise chooses to celebrate their anniversaries the same. GF has already seemingly demonstrated that Gen 1 is their pride in this franchise, and I think it's perfectly reasonable if they only decide to use Gen 1 Pokémon in the delegation of Alola variants. Pokémon from other generations will get their chance.

Coller23

Aggron Extraordinair
Not every franchise chooses to celebrate their anniversaries the same. GF has already seemingly demonstrated that Gen 1 is their pride in this franchise, and I think it's perfectly reasonable if they only decide to use Gen 1 Pokémon in the delegation of Alola variants. Pokémon from other generations will get their chance.

Not really, because once we leave Alola. There will be no more Alola forms.

Nunn

Pokermanz Meister!
Nothing specifically says we can't have an Alolan Arcanine and the Arcanine we have historically known both occur in the same game. We're only inferring because they're called "Alolan" forms.

True, it's not stated anywhere. But we know that there are no wild Non-alolan exeggutor, Vulpix, Ninetales, Sandshrew and Sandslash based of off their lore. So why would we be seeing wild pokemon native to the Alola region without Alolan variants?

Having them both there would take away from the new forms. And I could understand trainers having Non-Alola forms, but the Butterfree and Arcanine in the trailer were wild.

Weren't those videos from earlier on? If so, things are definitely subject to change.

I doubt it with the game being this late in development. I think it's probably just the leaker dropping false info in the mix.

there is a rumor that we're getting a Bug/Psychic Butterfree and a Water Arcanine along with Fighting Alakazam and Dark Raticate in the Chinese leaks which seems to be mostly if not 100% true so I'm willing to think this will happen. We'll have to see.

The Chinese leaks are far from being confirmed.

They just seem to be piggy backing off of the starter evolutions which popped up earlier.

They do talk about there being no gyms, but that was a fairly common thought among fans since we were not seeing any trace of gym leaders. They also talk about rebuilding the league yourself, no? That doesn't seem like a thing.

The leaks with apparent validity are the ones from I think it was reddit. They predict Bewear's name, pokemon variants ect...

Though I doubt everything there is fully accurate. Leakers will purposely place false information in there.

Thepowaofhax

One could argue that future regions will have there own forms, because it would be a travesty in my mind if we get this as a region exclusive feature.

True, it's not stated anywhere. But we know that there are no wild Non-alolan exeggutor, Vulpix, Ninetales, Sandshrew and Sandslash based of off their lore. So why would we be seeing wild pokemon native to the Alola region without Alolan variants?

Having them both there would take away from the new forms. And I could understand trainers having Non-Alola forms, but the Butterfree and Arcanine in the trailer were wild.
I don't think I saw a wild Butterfree in the trailers, but there was a wild Caterpie. Likely, as like someone mentioned about Exeggcute's evolution shown in the trailer, that Caterpies caught in Alola or are the offspring of Alolan/offspring of the offspring of Alolan Caterpies could evolve into the hypothetical Bug/Psychic Alolan Butterfree. Also, I'm pretty sure the Chinese leak also predicted Salandit and variants.

Last edited:

Lykouros

Sandslash fan
I think Iceshrew and Iceslash are based off Lemmings. Maybe more Sandshrew.

Maybe, but the original Sandshrew and Sandslash are based off of armadillos and pangolins, respectively. While pangolins and armadillos aren't related, neither species has a relationship or even many similarities to lemmings, so it is doubtful the ice versions are based on such.

Sandshrew does resemble an igloo, however, and sandslash has adopted icicle spikes and claws fit for climbing ice. It's possible they required no more inspiration than someone making that connection and running with it.

Seems a bit hypocritical to call this fanbase childish for taking the time to explain our interest in having more than just Kanto pokemon develop the Alolan qualities, while you use the term 'butlicked' to explain how other gens get treated and completely disregard the information we stated. Blaziken was one mega that got special treatment, as was Greninja. It's not as if when we visited Kalos every other Gen 3 pokemon got a mega; that would be the Kanto pokemon who fit that description.

Last edited:

cmats4020

I doubt it with the game being this late in development. I think it's probably just the leaker dropping false info in the mix.

Ah, kind of like what the XY leaker did when he switched the starter typings. Either way, I'm going to believe it until its disproven; the leaker's been pretty accurate thus far, from what I've been told.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst

It is ultimately up to them, but just because they can do it in the future doesn't mean they certainly will get that chance. With Alola variants or similar concepts, they can shuffle that out for something new as Pokémon as a whole has a tendency to trade out its mechanics for new ones all of the time, nothing says that they'll keep it for sure outside of the current existing set of Pokemon.

One could argue that future regions will have there own forms, because it would be a travesty in my mind if we get this as a region exclusive feature.

Potentially yes, but as mentioned above, Pokémon has a tendency to shuffle out features between generations, for better or for worse. For instance, the Difficulty Mode was a feature in B2W2 that could've been brought back and expanded on for other games, but it was left behind in Unova. For a Pokémon example, we didn't get Spiky-Eared Pichu in Gen 5 or 6, and before ORAS, we lost Feebas' original evolution method for another trade based item.

Last edited:

Dragonheart7

Dragon Trainer
maybe we will get crystal onix?

cmats4020

It is ultimately up to them, but just because they can do it in the future doesn't mean they certainly will get that chance. With Alola variants or similar concepts, they can shuffle that out for something new as Pokémon as a whole has a tendency to trade out its mechanics for new ones all of the time, nothing says that they'll keep it for sure outside of the current existing set of Pokemon.

Considering how popular variants have become just from 5 examples, I doubt GF would give up that chance. It also gives them creative "replay" value; giving them an easy way to create new Pokémon while not really creating anything at all. Megas were revolutionary, but there's no evidence that they're being shuffled out for something else anytime soon. Variants will most likely stay, especially considering the new fans that are being created with the release of Pokémon GO will want variants of their favorites as well.

While the difficulty feature was taken out after B2W2, many features have also stayed consistently through generations. Creative innovations are usually kept.

"A rose by any other name" . . . For instance, if we go back to Sinnoh, there could be Sinnoh forms. Same feature, different name.

Last edited:

esquilo09

I wonder if it will be possible to make a Weavile to use a Z-move? I would love to see its expression when charged with a Z-move.

Status
Not open for further replies.