• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
The minute they call it Lugrowl there's going to be the nickname Lugrowlio, which sounds like a mispronunciation of Lucario. I personally like Rockdogé. We've already seen some unnusual nominclature (looking at you Type:Null) so another excuse to use "é" is welcome.

PocketMonsterRealm

Since Crystal
It was said in a past corocoro that rockruff was to leave its trainer to evolve I thought, so that would hint you leave him somewhere or you trade. perhaps leave him at a shrine or landmark that has to do with the sun or moon. maybe the trading is to get the opposite rockruff evolution than what you have in your version.
either would have something to do with the power of the sun and power of the moon.

YOOMTAH

Let's dance~
Is it being considered that Rockruff will evolve depending on the in-game time, similar to Eevee with Espeon and Umbreon? Because that would seem way more logical than version exclusives to me.

EDIT: Ah, I see now that the new leaks confirm that. My bad.

Last edited:

Orphalesion

All I'm saying is, there weren't Helix fossils everywhere in ORAS for no reason.

It's a difference to make a small unobtrusive reference to something and naming a pokemon that will be around until the end of the franchise after a internet meme that's already dated as of right now.

Naming the thing Rockdoge would be the equivalent of having some NPCs stand around and actually worship an Omastar (I haven't played ORAS, but I highly doubt that happens).
Do you want the pokedex to read "Very Claw. Much Bite. Such Rock Type.Wow." as well?

Last edited:

BlitzGirl41

From the "New Pokemon" page of Sun/Moon on Serebii.net:

"Lugarugan was revealed in the October 2016 issue of CoroCoro. It is the evolution of Rockruff, but has a unique feature. It has two different forms depending on when it evolved. If it evolves during Daytime, it'll have the standard Midday Form, but if it evolves at Nightime, it'll have its Night Form."

I really think that it makes more sense anyway for it to be dependent on time not on the version. I don't think it would make much sense for a Rockruff in Moon to evolve into Night Form even in broad daylight, and vica-versa. Fingers crossed...

Sulfurian

So the day evolution of Rockruff is easily OU with that priority move. Perhaps what they're implying with the fact that the midnight form gets counter, is that you'll need to breed that priority move onto rock ruff OR that the midnight form loses rock as its main type.

PocketMonsterRealm

Since Crystal

"Lugarugan was revealed in the October 2016 issue of CoroCoro. It is the evolution of Rockruff, but has a unique feature. It has two different forms depending on when it evolved. If it evolves during Daytime, it'll have the standard Midday Form, but if it evolves at Nightime, it'll have its Night Form."

I really think that it makes more sense anyway for it to be dependent on time not on the version. I don't think it would make much sense for a Rockruff in Moon to evolve into Night Form even in broad daylight, and vica-versa. Fingers crossed...

yeah

In it, it shows the Midday Form being obtained in Pokémon Sun and the Midnight Form being obtained in Pokémon Moon. The name of the Pokémon Rockruff evolves into is Lugarugan and has a different appearance based on if it evolves in Day or in Night. It notes that Rockruff becomes the Midday Form when bathed in the rays of the sun and when full of the night's power, it becomes the Midnight Form.

but there is an eariler corocoro post that talked about Rockruff leaving its trainer. if you have a sun version maybe you leave it at a sun or day shrine or landmark like a sundial. maybe for moon it would be a moodial. this would have to be at the appropriate time. to get the other you would need to trade.
of course this is speculation but it is considering more than today's corocoro.

XY said that the moondial and sundial may have been created with the mysterious power from pokemon. this sounds like what is talked about in corocoro as well as lunala and solgaleo and the versions of sun and moon.

Wadeledge

Till all are One
So the day evolution of Rockruff is easily OU with that priority move. Perhaps what they're implying with the fact that the midnight form gets counter, is that you'll need to breed that priority move onto rock ruff OR that the midnight form loses rock as its main type.

There is literally no way to know this, a theoretically good move does not an OU Pokemon make.

BlitzGirl41

yeah

In it, it shows the Midday Form being obtained in Pokémon Sun and the Midnight Form being obtained in Pokémon Moon. The name of the Pokémon Rockruff evolves into is Lugarugan and has a different appearance based on if it evolves in Day or in Night. It notes that Rockruff becomes the Midday Form when bathed in the rays of the sun and when full of the night's power, it becomes the Midnight Form.

but there is an eariler corocoro post that talked about Rockruff leaving its trainer. if you have a sun version maybe you leave it at a sun or day shrine or landmark like a sundial. maybe for moon it would be a moodial. this would have to be at the appropriate time. to get the other you would need to trade.

XY said that the moondial and sundial may have been created with the mysterious power from pokemon. this sounds like what is talked about in corocoro as well as lunala and solgaleo and the versions of sun and moon.

I think that those CoroCoro pages showing Sun and Moon's logos with the respective evolutions is because if a player plays those games as they are meant to be played, without messing with the internal 3DS clock, they will naturally get the Day or Night evolution. It doesn't necessarily prove to me that they are version exclusives. We also ahve to remember that some translations may be off.

I also think that the whole "leaving its trainer" blurb was just flavor/lore text. It sounds like something you'd find in a Pokedex entry. The Dex says many things about Pokemon that you never, ever see in the games. Also remember that it mentioned the howling at night before evolving. I think that bit was referencing that when it evolves at night it becomes a werewolf type of form.

noakai

yeah

I'm pretty sure the CoroCoro you're talking about wasn't CoroCoro but one of the many leaks we got that said you leave it on an island to evolve, and it's from the leak that gotten's nothing right so far. Not saying it's not possible, but that leak said Rockruff has four evos and didn't mention a day or night thing at all, so so far it doesn't match up well with what we know for sure much.

Akashin

That's what Serebii said based upon what we saw yesterday, and doesn't account for the implication that they could be exclusives that was in the pages that only got leaked today.

I agree that having them be time dependent rather than version exclusive makes infinitely more sense, but Serebii's word on the matter doesn't confirm anything.

I'm pretty sure the CoroCoro you're talking about wasn't CoroCoro but one of the many leaks we got that said you leave it on an island to evolve, and it's from the leak that gotten's nothing right so far. Not saying it's not possible, but that leak said Rockruff has four evos and didn't mention a day or night thing at all, so so far it doesn't match up well with what we know for sure much.

What they're talking about is actually from the official site, where it says that Rockruff howls at the moon as it nears evolution and will leave its Trainer's side to evolve before returning.

Last edited:

Luthor

Looks like my prediction about Rockruff's evolution being version exclusive might actually be accurate. Awesome. Even if they are not version exclusive time based evolution would not be too far off.

PocketMonsterRealm

Since Crystal

no... well you are right it wasnt from corocoro, instead it was from the offical pokemon site

Rockruff is a sociable Pokémon, but as it grows, its disposition gets wilder. If it begins to howl when the sun goes down, that is proof that it’s close to evolving. It’s said that it leaves its Trainer’s side to evolve and returns again when fully evolved.

http://www.pokemon-sunmoon.com/en-au/pokemon/rockruff/

howling hinted its evolution (or at least one form) but leaving the trainer hints for something else as well i believe.

Raging Ghost

Red Dragon Archfiend
There is literally no way to know this, a theoretically good move does not an OU Pokemon make.

^this. After all, the only non-legendary, non-mythical Rock-type that is OU would probably be Tyranitar.

esquilo09

Theory: What if they pull an Aipom or Lickitung on Alolan Vulpix? By making it being able to evolve at any level while knowing a certain move. It could be Fairy Wind, Dazzling Gleam or Moonblast which would match with Alolan Ninetales's secondary type.

noakai

no... well you are right it wasnt from corocoro, instead it was from the offical pokemon site

Rockruff is a sociable Pokémon, but as it grows, its disposition gets wilder. If it begins to howl when the sun goes down, that is proof that it’s close to evolving. It’s said that it leaves its Trainer’s side to evolve and returns again when fully evolved.

http://www.pokemon-sunmoon.com/en-au/pokemon/rockruff/

howling hinted its evolution (or at least one form) but leaving the trainer hints for something else as well i believe.

Huh, I wonder if maybe all of this means that you'll need to be well into the storyline before you can evolve Rockruff, if it really has to do with it leaving you somehow and it supposedly needs the sun or moon's power (aka the legendaries). This could turn out to be a kinda complicated process to evolve it.

PocketMonsterRealm

Since Crystal
Huh, I wonder if maybe all of this means that you'll need to be well into the storyline before you can evolve Rockruff, if it really has to do with it leaving you somehow and it supposedly needs the sun or moon's power (aka the legendaries). This could turn out to be a kinda complicated process to evolve it.

that's how I feel, but the legendaries get their power from the sun and moon as they are not the embodiment of them with XY info about sundials and moondials it makes me wonder if Rockruff uses the same power that the ledgendaries use.
but who knows at this point. tomorrow should be interesting with the announcement of all kinds of stuff.

Wadeledge

Till all are One
^this. After all, the only non-legendary, non-mythical Rock-type that is OU would probably be Tyranitar.

PLUS we don't know if it's an exclusive move or note. The reaction reminds me of the Physical/Special split being announce in Gen 4. People thought that Alakazam and Gengar were going to be Uber because Shadow Ball was going to be special.

Status
Not open for further replies.