• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wadeledge

Till all are One
I imagine that the VGC will just update its rules so that pokemon from gen 6 can also compete. Otherwise, you're going to have a lot of players who use some of the legendaries from there kind of angry. Myself included hehe.

There is that thought, but I feel like each year they tend to get harder and harder on hacked Pokemon. And we all know VGC's dirty little secret...

Lykouros

Sandslash fan
And we all know VGC's dirty little secret...

Can you confirm the secret for me? Is it that all of the pokemon are hacked, or something worse?

Wadeledge

Till all are One
Can you confirm the secret for me? Is it that all of the pokemon are hacked, or something worse?

What you said, and I wouldn't say ALL, just...they're out there. Lots of top competitors have friends that get the Pokemon for them, and it's kind of plausible deniability.

Lykouros

Sandslash fan
What you said, and I wouldn't say ALL, just...they're out there. Lots of top competitors have friends that get the Pokemon for them, and it's kind of plausible deniability.

So it's as I suspected. That's a shame. Is there a way GF can do something about that? The blue pentagon assured pokemon were from Kalos, but didn't prevent hacking (that I know of). Alola is bound to have similar issues.

Wadeledge

Till all are One
So it's as I suspected. That's a shame. Is there a way GF can do something about that? The blue pentagon assured pokemon were from Kalos, but didn't prevent hacking (that I know of). Alola is bound to have similar issues.

They get better at cheat detection each generation, but life, uhhhhhhhhhhhh, finds a way.

R_N

So here's the problem with hack checks. While the checker can still use work, I believe it's let slip things with wrong pokeballs or location data before and has no check for certain move combinations, it does at least grab the most obviously fake stuff.

But if I generate a Mawile with:
-perfect ivs (or near perfect)
-the right moveset
-the pentagon
-a legitimate pokeball (ie: anything other than cherish, safari and maybe the apricorn balls)
-a legitimate location (&/or egg hatching information)
-a legitimate moveset

How do you differentiate it from a bred Mawile?
Everything about Mawile 1 is 100% feasible. In a best case scenario, Mawile 1 & Mawile 2 or more or less indistinguishable. Everything about the hacked mawile is within legally accepted stuff.

dukemon22

There is that thought, but I feel like each year they tend to get harder and harder on hacked Pokemon. And we all know VGC's dirty little secret...

For sure. I just think it'd be a bit of a waste, since Gamefreak went to the trouble of making every pokemon previously available, available for Gen 6 in one way or another. To just nix everything from there would seem weird to me, unless there's no ways to get said Pokemon.

I don't think there will ever be a surefire way to rule out the hacking.

Luthor

It's a shame it seems like no cross gen evolutions seem likely. Alolan forms yes but no cross gens. Since gen two revealed pre- evolutions i've wanted one for Doduo and a few others.

R_N

The only pre-evolutions I'd like to see (NATURALLY, in wild, without incense) are ones for some gen 5 pokemon

It's really absurd how long you have to carry around Rufflet, Mienfoo, Vullaby, & Pawniard (& probably a few others but those take the cake) before they evolve. Even in their original games, with their exp system and placement in the game, you are still very likely not getting any of these evolved until after beating Ghetsis. So it's even worse now, where you can get something like Mienfoo before gym 2 but will be carrying this same pokemon until at least the climax before it finally evolves.

Pre-evolutions aren't the best solution, but I doubt they're ever going to retcon in mid-level evolutions so its the best shot they got and give an actual sense of progression. And maybe give a slight BST boost to the former-first stages to help make the wait a little less bad.

They get better at cheat detection each generation, but life, uhhhhhhhhhhhh, finds a way.

I remember Ray Rizzo had HA ball Aegislash lol. He didn't realize it wasn't possible. They made him swap it out ASAP

Lykouros

Sandslash fan
So here's the problem with hack checks. While the checker can still use work, I believe it's let slip things with wrong pokeballs or location data before and has no check for certain move combinations, it does at least grab the most obviously fake stuff.

But if I generate a Mawile with:
-perfect ivs (or near perfect)
-the right moveset
-the pentagon
-a legitimate pokeball (ie: anything other than cherish, safari and maybe the apricorn balls)
-a legitimate location (&/or egg hatching information)
-a legitimate moveset

How do you differentiate it from a bred Mawile?
Everything about Mawile 1 is 100% feasible. In a best case scenario, Mawile 1 & Mawile 2 or more or less indistinguishable. Everything about the hacked mawile is within legally accepted stuff.

This is what came to mind initially. A pokemon that is hacked to have perfect IVs and otherwise is entirely within its limitations is not distinguishable from the real thing. The only difference is one took a few minutes to hack and the other probably took hours/days.

R_N

This is what came to mind initially. A pokemon that is hacked to have perfect IVs and otherwise is entirely within its limitations is not distinguishable from the real thing. The only difference is one took a few minutes to hack and the other probably took hours/days.

Which is probably why gamefreak's made a point to allow people an easier time to get battle-ready pokemon faster over the past few generations. Super Training isn't necessarily faster but it makes it more transparent, hordes, unbreedable pokemon get 3 perfect IVs, destiny knot, ever stone and so forth. And now Hyper Training.

They know they can't stop hacking, so may as well allow players who don't hack to have an easier time getting ready

Cradily17

I want to facepalm anytime I see or hear someone say we can't have any fossil Pokémon this Gen because Hawaii isn't old enough. I mean, really? It's not like the tyrannosaurus and the amargasaurus were discovered in France.

Orphalesion

I want to facepalm anytime I see or hear someone say we can't have any fossil Pokémon this Gen because Hawaii isn't old enough. I mean, really? It's not like the tyrannosaurus and the amargasaurus were discovered in France.

Hear hear! Also when they say that "such and such animal wouldn't fit, because it doesn't live in Hawaii" or are confused why there's a Koala pokemon in a region based on Hawaii.

It was even worse in the beginning when some people expected Alola to be a 1:1 conversion of Hawaii down to the one condo with the hibiscus tree in the front yard, just outside of Honolulu.

I mean, as we all know pandas are indigenous to France and you can find giraffes causally strolling around the country side of Japan, right?

goodpeople25

I agree with being against the absolute, but I don't know which post(s) you're exactly responding to so I'm not sure whose post (if any) actually used it. While the lack of fossils (or dinosaur fossils anyway) dosen't mean they can't have any, the info still has merit and could possibly influence their decision on what (if any) fossil Pokemon to include.

R_N

Speaking of fossils, I find it interesting that they've been showing Archeops & Tirtouga here and there.

Tirtouga's been shown...twice, I think, being used by the player. Archeops was in a "wild" battle at a distinct level 38.
I don't think their use proves or disproves anything since they may not even be available during the game (& if they are so was Aerodactyl), but kind of an odd pair to go with when showing off anything.

BlitzGirl41

Speaking of fossils, I find it interesting that they've been showing Archeops & Tirtouga here and there.

Tirtouga's been shown...twice, I think, being used by the player. Archeops was in a "wild" battle at a distinct level 38.
I don't think their use proves or disproves anything since they may not even be available during the game (& if they are so was Aerodactyl), but kind of an odd pair to go with when showing off anything.

At the very least, Tirtuoga seems like a good fit for Alola due to sea turtles living in tropical waters. But new fossils for Gen 7 would be nice to see. There's been a new fossil duo for nearly every gen so far.

Cradily17

I hope that Salandit gets an evolution. It has a lot of potential to be something really great.

I agree with being against the absolute, but I don't know which post(s) you're exactly responding to so I'm not sure whose post (if any) actually used it. While the lack of fossils (or dinosaur fossils anyway) dosen't mean they can't have any, the info still has merit and could possibly influence their decision on what (if any) fossil Pokemon to include.

I wasn't really referring to any posts on Serebii, specifically. Just other forums on the Internet in general. But yeah. You are right that the Hawaiian-inspired Alola region could heavily influence GameFreak what Pokémon they will add.

TheEliteEmpoleon

Granted, one of the times was Turtonator's trailer, in which every turtle-like pokémon was shown. Still an interesting point.

Status
Not open for further replies.