• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowlbasaur

I just caught my Mareanie after about an hour of trying and I LOVE HIM! I was hoping for a female but I'll probably just breed for that later. Despite the dark Dex entry, Toxapex still is very charming to me.

BlitzGirl41

So far, I am on Akala Island and beat the first challenge, and I am struggling with the fact that many Pokemon I absolutely want in my team are not until the mid-high level 40 range zones. I really want Jangmo-o and Lapras, but they are still far away for me. There really is no other Water-type I care about this generation, and that's really sad.

Super Nerd 7997

Crazy Plant Guy
Randomly curious, anyone else think Araquanid looks like a Pikmin boss? I love it...

Bowlbasaur

So far, I am on Akala Island and beat the first challenge, and I am struggling with the fact that many Pokemon I absolutely want in my team are not until the mid-high level 40 range zones. I really want Jangmo-o and Lapras, but they are still far away for me. There really is no other Water-type I care about this generation, and that's really sad.

This was my situation too, so I just caught a couple new guys that I wasn't planning on using initially, like Pikipek and Wishiwashi, and I ended up pleasantly surprised at how useful they were for a while there! Each one saved my butt once or twice lol. I eventually switched out Wishiwashi for Mareanie and also am after a Jangmo-o, who will eventually replace Toucannon. It works out for me, I like to keep a full team even if I'm not particularly drawn to a certain one. Just in case you know lol.

Onyx Tanuki

Ma! There's a weird 'nuki in the yahd!
Man, Fomantis evolves at way too high of a level. I was planning on using it ever since it was revealed but I might be going with Bounsweet now.

*nod* Plus it's slow, which is a problem competitively with a lot of this gen's pokemon. So many seem to hover in that 45-60 speed tier that makes them too slow to be dependable sweepers, but too fast to function that well on a Trick Room team.

That said, I was using Tsareena as my Araquanid team's spinner. My big disappointment for her is her strongest Grass move is Trop Kick, which is only 70 BP, so she works a little better as a specially-defensive pokemon. She has decent bulk, but her typing is just not good defensively. I'll have to look into her moves more though. But I was surprised to see her with Rapid Spin, and I can see her getting some use in mid-low tiers since the only option besides Rock-weak ones in lower tiers I think is Hitmonchan.

ReneEnjolras

Explorer of Ruins
I have a Morelull and I'm not sure whether I'll evolve it. I think it's evolution is okay, but it's not cute like Morelull... Should I do a baby run with it along with my starter?

BlitzGirl41

Wow, it took me my entire lunch break (one hour, roughly) to locate a female Salandit! I get that it's supposed to be 12% rate compared to the male's 87%, but I've found Pokemon who have a flat 10% rate of appearance popping up more often than that one female Salandit! XD I bet after I play with it in Refresh it will grow on me. Literally caught it, swapped it into my party, saved, and then went back to my desk.

Onyx Tanuki

Ma! There's a weird 'nuki in the yahd!
So I thought I'd go ahead and post the sets I came up with for two other new pokemon I was using on my Showdown team.

763.png

Tsareena @ Assault Vest
Queenly Majesty
Adamant
252 HP, 252 Att, 4 Def
- Trop Kick
- High Jump Kick
- Play Rough
- Rapid Spin​

This is the set I mentioned above. AV seems to work perfectly for her. 72/98/98 bulk is decent, although it's not THE best, and her pure Grass typing isn't doing her many favors on either the offensive or defensive front, sadly enough. Trop Kick pairs well since it reduces the enemy's Attack, while HJK and Play Rough are decent coverage options for her. And Rapid Spin is Rapid Spin, and is made better by the fact that she isn't weak to Rocks. Queenly Majesty also pairs well with an all-out-attack set like this; I had at least one battle where the opponent tried to Sucker Punch her, only to waste their turn and lose their Lycanroc in the process. You may notice that this has nothing to handle Poison types; sadly she really doesn't get any such thing aside from Return and Facade. She has some issues with several Ghosts as well, in particular ones that resist Grass. She does get U-Turn however, so you could potentially use her as a Scarf scout/sweeper.

-----

793.png

Nihilego @ Choice Scarf
Beast Boost
Modest/Timid
252 SpAtt, 4 SpDef, 252 Speed
- Power Gem
- Sludge Wave/Sludge Bomb
- Thunder/Thunderbolt/Dazzling Gleam/Grass Knot/HP Fire
- Thunder/Thunderbolt/Dazzling Gleam/Grass Knot/HP Fire​

With what is effectively a version of Moxie that can be tailored to the pokemon's specific needs, Nihilego struck me as a great offensive pokemon. Its unique typing does mean 4x Ground weakness, but a handful of interesting resistances, and until people get used to it, I can't see people really knowing what else to use on it besides Earthquake. With 109/47/131 defenses, you'll want to keep it away from physical attacks, but it might be able to safely switch in on most special attackers (unless they happen to be running Earth Power, HP Ground, or Psyshock). I went with Power Gem and Sludge Wave for STAB, Thunder and DG for coverage (Thunder over TBolt because I was running a rain team, and DG to help against Kommo-o and Guzzlord). Grass Knot and Psychic are options, as well. Sludge Bomb can be used over Sludge Wave, but keep in mind that Bulletproof Kommo-o will give you issues if you haven't taken DG. Sadly this thing does have problems handling Steel types, as the only thing it can rely on to take them on is Hidden Power (Fire being preferable to help handle Ferrothorn, Kartana, and the multitude of Bug/Steel types in the upper tiers, though I ignored it on my set because, again, rain team). I personally went for a Timid one, since even then its SpAtt was higher, but Modest is probably preferable, as a Modest Scarf Nihilego can outspeed anything except Ninjask and Deoxys-S without considering speed boosts or opposing Scarf users. Timid can outspeed +1 max Speed Modest Salazzle and anything slower, and ties with +1 max Speed Adamant Hawlucha, so if you're considering them threats Timid is still quite a viable option. If you've taken out most of the opponent's faster threats, however, and have a move everything on their side is at least neutral to, then you should be good to sweep even if they have a decent SpDef pokemon on their side, as you'll have what is essentially a SpAtt Moxie at your disposal.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I really wish they didn't take a note from Black/White and limit a lot of COOL Pokemon to so late in the freaking game.
It really eliminates the possibility of having game runs with certain Pokemon. Unless you have a second 3DS to which you can just breed and send the offspring over to the other copy.

Grey Wind

For anyone who's used Crabrawler in game, what's it like? I feel like it could end up being a bit of a dead weight considering how late it evolves.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
It's justified by its final form. Toucans live in tropical places.

Yea I saw Toucannon this morning and I think it looks fine, although out of all the fully evolved regional birds, I find Toucannon's facial expression to be the most intimidating ha ha. Trumbeak could be better however. Right now it just looks like Staravia to me.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
i have a limited team prefence in gen7 due to some designs. my main team is Primarina, Lycanroc, Toucannon, Salazzle, Vikavolt and Cottonnee (need to get him to evolve :( ) its not the best balance team but i like them for their designs and uses. Toucannon is beast and cottonee was responsible to give me 3 trail wins from leech seed KOs when my team had typing/coverage move issues.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Yea I saw Toucannon this morning and I think it looks fine, although out of all the fully evolved regional birds, I find Toucannon's facial expression to be the most intimidating ha ha. Trumbeak could be better however. Right now it just looks like Staravia to me.

Yeah, Toucannon's actually grown on me. Especially after using it for 90% of the game.
Trumbeak on the other hand, I still don't like.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Regardless of Yowashi's stats, I'd never use one myself since it just doesn't look appealing to me. I wish that its form change had been its evolved form, instead.

ReneEnjolras

Explorer of Ruins
Is Kommo-o a good Pokémon for an Ultra Space/Elite Four team? My team right now isn'y very diverse, most are weak to water. Here's my Team:

Torracat lv. 50 @ Firuim
Bold, Blaze
-Shadow Claw
-Flamethrower
-Fire Fang
-Bite

Lucanroc Midnight lv. 48 @ Rockium
Lonely, Keen Eye
-Rock Slide
-Rock Throw
-Rock Climb
-Crunch

Salazzle lv. 48 @ Amulet Coin
Gentle, Corrosion
-Flamethrower
-Flame Burst
-Venoshock
-Toxic

Mudsdale lv. 48 @ Groundium
Hardy, Own Tempo
-Earthquake
-Rock Tomb
-Bulldoze
-Double Kick

Palossand lv. 48 @ Spell Tag
Lonely, Water Compaction
-Psychic
-Shadow Ball
-Giga Drain
-Earth Power

Morelull lv. 48 @ Fairium
Lax, Illuminate
-Giga Drain
-Sludge Bomb
-Moonblast
-Grass Knot

Griever789

Hm I thinking washiwashi going to be a slaking, good stats but abilty holds it back. Still it it looks to have some interting potential as a mixed attacker...maybe in trick room set.

Well I don't know if this is the right place to ask for competive predictions but there seems to be no other threads for that

Does 10% zygard have any advantages over 50 percent? What is a good nature for it?

Heck what is a good guess of a good nature for the all the new legendaries? Be a shame to waste the one chance I get to get them with a mediocre nature.

BlazingRagnarok

Hm I thinking washiwashi going to be a slaking, good stats but abilty holds it back. Still it it looks to have some interting potential as a mixed attacker...maybe in trick room set.

Well I don't know if this is the right place to ask for competive predictions but there seems to be no other threads for that

Does 10% zygard have any advantages over 50 percent? What is a good nature for it?

Heck what is a good guess of a good nature for the all the new legendaries? Be a shame to waste the one chance I get to get them with a mediocre nature.

Wisiwashi's school form's stats look almost as if Gamefreak looked at Shuckle and said, "what if we allocated half of its defensive stats to its offensive stats?" It's one of a few solid Trick Room options introduced this gen.

The only legendary I have already tried to SR a nature for is Tapu Koko. Mine is naïve, and I would recommend a +speed nature to take advantage of its speed tier. Unfortunately, its offenses are held back by its movepool, which unfortunately doesn't include play rough. You'd have to go special or mixed to use its fairy STAB, and you have to turn to hidden power to deal with steels that also resist electric. All of the tapu have one great stat, one solid stat, one OK stat, and three mediocre stats, so that is a good guide to determine nature.

I'm more puzzled as to what I want my Silvally to do. It's a jack of all trades and king of none, and, unlike Arceus, it doesn't have its own competitive niche.

Status
Not open for further replies.