1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

New Pokemon Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Pokémon - Generation VII Discussion' started by afrior, Feb 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shadowF

shadowF Well-Known Member

So which of the Generation 7 pokemon will be the most popular in competitive battling?

2. RedJirachi

RedJirachi Veteran member

Alright, so Araquanid turns out to be better than I thought thanks to Water Bubble. I'm probably going to try and add it to my team as my Pokemon Sun Water Pokemon

3. XXD17

XXD17 Draco rex

Silvally seems pretty subpar...eviolite type: null, however, has potential...it gets t-wave and u-turn...great as a support 'mon.

I'd go with brave or quiet and invest in bulk. School-washi is already really slow. No amount of speed will really benefit it. It would be better to allocate that towards its two offensive stats. It runs a really powerful AV mixed set with EQ, scald, U-turn, and ice beam.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  4. BlazingRagnarok

BlazingRagnarok Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, I forgot that all it gets from evolution is 36 points of speed, an expanded movepool, and RKS system. 95/95/95 sounds like good bulk with eviolite. You could also run a gimmicky imprison + protect set in doubles.

5. Zoruagible

Zoruagible Lover of underrated characters

I'm going to go with Type: Null and Sivally.
    I think a lot of the older Pokemon available will be seen more than a lot of the Alolan Pokemon though, most of the new Pokemon aren't that great unfortunately.

6. Excitable Boy

Excitable Boy is a metaphor

Probably the Tapus, Toxapex, and Celesteela.

Most of the others are kinda meh.

7. Griever789

Griever789 Well-Known Member

Hm I trying to figure out what Mimikyu could used for, I was hoping it could learn baton pass since it abilty would make decent at that since you get one free shield from attacks..but it doesn't

Still it's abilty and adverage atk, and highish special defense does suggest a support build would be the way to go with this. It can learn trick room but it doesn't seem to be slow enough to take full advantage of it...

8. RedJirachi

RedJirachi Veteran member

Reading the Pokedex entry and description as a whole, I've concluded that Salazzle may be the biggest furbait in the entire franchise

9. Wryteous

Wryteous Rogue Trainer

At a glance Mimikyu seems like an ideal status-dealer / stat-disrupter with it's ability. Guaranteed hit whilst your opponent attempts to remove Disguise.

Kommo-o is an odd pokemon stats wise. Being able to run mixed attacks. But will be outclassed by a lot of things.
    Funny how Soundproof was being marketed as it's go-to ability despite Bulletproof having more immunties to attacking moves, Boomburst and Hyper Voice aside.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  10. XXD17

XXD17 Draco rex

Mimikyu is probably, IMO, one of the best nonlegendaries from 7th gen. Despite its looks, it's surprisingly fast. It can run a support set, like you said, or a very effective SD offensive set with weakness policy.

As for other top competitive non legendary 'mons, I'd go with primarina, toxapex, type: null...maybe golisopod or minior...As for legendaries, pheromosa, celesteela and kartana look promising as do all the tapus...

11. Wryteous

Wryteous Rogue Trainer

Using Minior throughout my playthough I have to agree. It's this generation's "Aegislash" for it's utility. Golisopod is interesting and I haven't had a chance to really try it out. Still not quite sure how emergency exit works... and Toxapex is still completely foreign to me due to it's rarity. But people are saying great things. So I'm aiming to capture one after dealing with the UB arc.

12. Bowlbasaur

Bowlbasaur Well-Known Member

It's definitely worth it to go for a Toxapex. I don't really play competitively so I can't vouch for how it would do there, but that little dude is a beast. It took me about an hour to locate and catch, but luckily it had the ability and nature I wanted so I didn't have to prolong that any longer.

13. XXD17

XXD17 Draco rex

Golisopod takes some strategy to use but having such a powerful priority STAB is pretty amazing. With emergency exit, it allows you to auto-switch without eating up a turn so you can potentially send in golisopod again to use it again. Furthermore, golisopod has access to leech life to keep itself healthy, is pretty bulky on the physical side and has great secondary priority moves like sucker punch and aqua jet. It's a pokemon that focuses purely on priority.

Toxapex is basically ferrothorn with a different perk. Baneful bunker punishes physical attackers even more allowing it to set up toxic spikes with ease. You can combine that with its merciless ability and venoshock to deal heaping amounts of damage even with no investment. If you predict the steel type, toxapex also has access to scald to punish the switch in and it also has recover for more reliable recovery than ferrothorn. Oh! Did I mention that its hidden ability is regenerator?

14. EmphaticPikachu

EmphaticPikachu A tired little girl~

Dear god Ribombee is my new favorite pokemon, I'm not kidding. I'm litterally infatuated with the thing ITS LIKE A LITTLE ADVENTURER BUG ITS SO CUTE AAAA

ADORABLE, ITS MY PRECIOUS

15. Creyk

Creyk Well-Known Member

It's totally cute. And that signature move...so great

16. Victreebong

Victreebong Gives 'em the slip..

Ribombee is very cute (Cutiefly is painfully cute). I also predict that it will be invaluable in VGC since it has (essentially) 5 moves as opposed to 4. It's fast, and while many people may not realize it, it's immune to flinching and freezing. Those resistances and immunity don't hurt either. A solid addition on all accounts!

Come Pokémon Stars, Midnight Lycanroc needs to get Hypnosis, or else it can join Zoroark for biggest letdown on a super hyped Pokémon. No Guard + Hypnosis has not been done yet, and it's about time it did!

17. Missingno.Fan

Missingno.Fan Well-Known Member

I don't know if this is the right thread, but does anybody know where I can hear all the cries for the new Pokémon?

18. BlazingRagnarok

BlazingRagnarok Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how Ribombee will fare in VGC. It doesn't have that much firepower, and, despite its high speed, speedsters like Midday Lycanrock, Tapu Koko, Pheromosa, and Talonflame all prey on it. Its great movepool will still need a fair bit of support to utilize, especially quiver dance passing. Shield dust will likely only matter on fake out and resisted hits, since additional effect protection will be useless if it dies, which 60/60/70 will ensure happens frequently.

19. EmphaticPikachu

EmphaticPikachu A tired little girl~

UBs are allowed in VGC?

that seems weird to me, but i guess their lopsided stats do tend to make them vulnerable

although I thought gamefreak disallows based on in game status rather then their actual potential, they just tend to be highly correlated.

20. Victreebong

Victreebong Gives 'em the slip..

It's true that it has limiting defenses, but it has screens, fast passing, U-Turn, GODLY cleric support, a coveted immunity, and a resist to the most spammed attack in the game. Sadly it's weak to the second most spammed spread attacks, but even Klefki and Whimsicott have limits. The only thing Ribombee's missing is misdirection. Stars is going to be very kind to this thing, I can already tell. I'm going to be extremely bold and say...

Gen VII equivalent to Venomoth status. OwO!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.