• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
I think a fossil pokemon would have been easy, especially for Minior to have been a fossil.

I found it refreshing that Alola had no new Fossils available tbh, though Jangmo-o probably could've been one instead of a pseudo-Legendary.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I didn't think much about Minior when it was first revealed if I'm being honest cuz I tend to find pokemon that are based on inanimate objects boring. But looking at Minior now, I do kind of think it should've been a Lunatone and Solrock pre-evo, just as a way of tying those two Hoenn species together into an evolutionary family. :3

Stats-wise though, Minior is way stronger than Lunatone or Solrock. (I'm also of the opposite opinion--I love Pokémon themed on inanimate objects. They tend to be the quirkiest.)

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
Stats-wise though, Minior is way stronger than Lunatone or Solrock. (I'm also of the opposite opinion--I love Pokémon themed on inanimate objects. They tend to be the quirkiest.)

That's a good point - it would also be hard to implement Shields Down effectively if Minior had inferior stats to Lunatone and Solrock.

Design-wise it kind of makes sense to group them together, but even insofar as design is concerned, losing the color diversity upon evolution would be a bummer, and a decent part of Minior's appeal is probably linked to colors.

Besides, we can have tons of spacey meteor 'mons that aren't directly related. I want more, they're literally my favorite!

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
That's a good point - it would also be hard to implement Shields Down effectively if Minior had inferior stats to Lunatone and Solrock.

Design-wise it kind of makes sense to group them together, but even insofar as design is concerned, losing the color diversity upon evolution would be a bummer, and a decent part of Minior's appeal is probably linked to colors.

Besides, we can have tons of spacey meteor 'mons that aren't directly related. I want more, they're literally my favorite!

Yeah, if we're going to have a baby Pokémon counterpart to Lunatone and Solrock, I think it'd have to be a completely different Pokémon. Maybe something that looks like a little star (well, something smaller than Minior with its rock casing removed), or a cloud of space dust, or something. It'd also have to be Rock/Psychic, or one of the two, as it won't make sense for a Rock/Flying to evolve into a Rock/Psychic with Levitate. I personally think Minior is complete as a concept on its own, and if anything, it could use a pre-evolution itself.

I remember having an idea for a Fire/Psychic Pokémon themed on a rocketship way back during Generation II. I always thought that'd be a really neat concept for a Pokémon. Well, we got one now, and it's Steel/Flying and way more creative than whatever I had imagined, as Celesteela also combines other concepts from The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter into it.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
Yeah, that's my impression regarding pachycephalosaurs too--people recognize the headbutting, skull-armored dinosaurs, but for the most part, they don't know what thse dinosaurs are called. That being said, when Cranidos and Rampardos were new, I frequently saw them mistaken for theropods (most commonly the tyrannosaurus) all the way until Tyrunt and Tyrantrum showed up, which were unmistakable. (Tyrantrum is another example of a Pokémon with multiple concepts tied together in multple ways, though with this one it's pretty obvious it's the tyrannosaurus combined with the medieval old king: Its ridges on its head resemble a crown, the feathers on its chin resemble a beard, and the feathers on its neck and its light gray underbelly combine to resemble a fur coat, especially as it has a thin line of a lighter shade on the far left and white of its underbelly. The choice of a dark, faded red may have been intentionally chosen to resemble the red velvet of that fur coat such kings in fiction commonly wear.)

Regarding coelacanths, I think the idea behind fossil Pokémon is that they're supposed to be extinct, as otherwise, Relicanth would be a fossil Pokémon too, I would guess. Then again, Relicanths can be found near the surface, and the ones in Alola can be found right by the shore, rather than in the deep ocean. But they're part Rock-type, so maybe they are connected to the fossil Pokémon in some way.

Yeah, I usually see people group them with theropods (mostly T-rexes) as well, even though they don't have much in common with the popular perception of theropods. Tyrantrum thankfully did put that to rest for the most part, and yeah, the medieval king angle was pretty evident and a very cool design choice for the line.

As for coelacanths, I was more getting at the comparison between them and crinoids as creatures that were thought to be extinct, but are still active. Still, you are right and more then likely the reason Cradily was chosen was because GF thought crinoids were extinct (which to be fair, most people do and did for a time) and chose them because of that. Relicanth having the Rock type is probably meant to be taken as a connection to fossils, particularly since the games do allude to its 'living fossil' nature.

XXD17

Draco rex
I'm just gonna get on a different train of thought here, because I don't wanna be a part of the crowd that is triggered by the discussion of why there aren't any fossils this gen.

I gotta say, some of the shinies this gen are either a very minimal change or a very stark contrast *cough*Litten family*cough*, but I feel some of the shinies captured the essence of their concepts or typings, and so are my favorites for Gen 7 :)

They are:
-Shiny Primarina (in many cultures, blond hair is the epitome of beauty. Along with the pinks and purples in its color scheme, I think it truly brings out Primarina's femininity.)
-Shiny Vikavolt (the silver and slits of green seem to bring out its electric typing better than its regular color scheme)
-Shiny Ribombee (I can't say much about its shiny form, other than the pink bringing out its Fairy typing much better. Although, I love its little red ribbon! It kind of makes it look like an adorable Christmas ornament <3)
-Shiny Tsareena (purple had been considered a color for royalty for centuries, and since the tsar in Tsareena is the title for a Russian monarch, it's very fitting. Although minimal, I think the light purple really suits her.)
-Shiny Mimikyu (its monochrome color scheme brings out its ghost typing, and also a nostalgic feel to it, as it is said to wear 20-year-old Pikachu merchandise.)
-Shiny Jangmo-o line - it's one of the more stark contrasts, but I kind of like the pink and gold mixed together I mean, be happy it's not the usual green and orange.... I think the gold brings out a royal feel to it, since something about the Jangmo-o line looks very...tribal.)
-Shiny Comfey (it's basically Gen 7's Flabébé, since the only thing that changes is the Pokemon, while the flowers stay untouched. I'm not sure if there's a meaning behind the blue coloration, but I like it. It stands out from the Snapchat filter lei it's holding in place.)

The only thing I don't like about shiny tsareena is how all the white parts are a light green...it makes her look like one of those Bratz zombie dolls...

I love everything about shiny kommo-o besides the pink nails...they should have been red or something...

My favorite shinies from this gen though are primarina, incineroar, pallosand and minior

Can we just stop for a moment appreciate Silvally's Moon Dex entry?

"Although its name was Type: Null at first, the boy who evolved it into this form gave it the name by which it is now known."

Nibbles4Ever

1 more day ^^
Out of all the pokemon I used in my moon playthrough I think I liked using lycanroc night form the most. It wasn't that slow and it's pretty strong to =) I didn't really dislike using any of them but I will never use vikavolt again because it takes way to long to be able to evolve it >.>

Baggie_Saiyan

Out of all the pokemon I used in my moon playthrough I think I liked using lycanroc night form the most. It wasn't that slow and it's pretty strong to =) I didn't really dislike using any of them but I will never use vikavolt again because it takes way to long to be able to evolve it >.>

Yeah that was kind of ridiculous starting bug evolves at the last island? The hell GF? They should have just made it evolve at 35 like everyone thought from that trailer. I guess maybe cuz of it's 145spa they thought it'd be too op until late game? Idk. At least there were no new trade evolutions this Gen.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Yeah, I usually see people group them with theropods (mostly T-rexes) as well, even though they don't have much in common with the popular perception of theropods. Tyrantrum thankfully did put that to rest for the most part, and yeah, the medieval king angle was pretty evident and a very cool design choice for the line.

As for coelacanths, I was more getting at the comparison between them and crinoids as creatures that were thought to be extinct, but are still active. Still, you are right and more then likely the reason Cradily was chosen was because GF thought crinoids were extinct (which to be fair, most people do and did for a time) and chose them because of that. Relicanth having the Rock type is probably meant to be taken as a connection to fossils, particularly since the games do allude to its 'living fossil' nature.

I actually never knew people thought crinoids were extinct for a long time, as when I was little, I would read and see documentaries about the abyssal zones and see pictures and videos of them and tube worms and brine mussels and such. They're even in The Magic School Bus!

Actually, speaking of which, if there IS a mechanic that lets you explore these deep sea things, it'd be interesting if they had brine lakes down there too. It's a concept that blows people's minds: A body of water, which a submersible can float on, on the seafloor.

The only thing I don't like about shiny tsareena is how all the white parts are a light green...it makes her look like one of those Bratz zombie dolls...

I love everything about shiny kommo-o besides the pink nails...they should have been red or something...

My favorite shinies from this gen though are primarina, incineroar, pallosand and minior

Don't lump those Bratz dolls with Once Upon a Zombie--they're totally different! One is a plagiarization of Barbie dolls, the other is a ripoff of Monster High.

Same here but its really annoying with the s.o.s method because of disguise.

If you just want to tear through Mimikyus, you can use Rampardos, Pinsir, or Pangoro. Their Mold Breaker abilities will ignore Disguise and let you damage them immediately.

Yeah that was kind of ridiculous starting bug evolves at the last island? The hell GF? They should have just made it evolve at 35 like everyone thought from that trailer. I guess maybe cuz of it's 145spa they thought it'd be too op until late game? Idk. At least there were no new trade evolutions this Gen.

I WOULD say that Chargabug has a unique Ability...but then I looked it up and saw Chargabug is pretty frail, so I'd guess Battery is mainly there for the Totem Vikavolt fight. (A recurring thing I see with Totem Pokémon is that they are always species you're not allowed to have yet unless you're really overleveled, either as evolution forms you can't access until later or Pokémon that can't be caught until after you defeat the Totem. Wishiwashi seems to be the exception, though you can't get Wishiwashi at Level 20 or higher until after defeating the Totem.)

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I have to wonder at this point; does anyone exist who doesn't like Mimikyu? Because I've rarely seen a Pokemon give this much love

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
I actually never knew people thought crinoids were extinct for a long time, as when I was little, I would read and see documentaries about the abyssal zones and see pictures and videos of them and tube worms and brine mussels and such. They're even in The Magic School Bus!

I'm looking it up to be certain, so I could very well be wrong there, but I thought for sure they were considered completely extinct for a time. It's been a while since I've read up on the Crinoids though, so this would be a good opportunity to learn more and refresh myself on them while I'm looking for that answer. Still, if the Magic School Bus had them then they were thought to be alive for at least a good decade, so it's more likely that GF was basing Cradily off of one of the many extinct ones then thinking the entire group was dead (unless they overlooked a detail).

Actually, speaking of which, if there IS a mechanic that lets you explore these deep sea things, it'd be interesting if they had brine lakes down there too. It's a concept that blows people's minds: A body of water, which a submersible can float on, on the seafloor.

Oh definitely! I remember when I first learned about it I couldn't believe it, it's such a unique thing about the deep sea and it shows that the world around us still holds some great surprises that we'd never expect.

Last edited:

Baggie_Saiyan

I have to wonder at this point; does anyone exist who doesn't like Mimikyu? Because I've rarely seen a Pokemon give this much love

TheKingNappy is not crazy about it and when he said it the comment section went crazy lol.
I like it I like the concept it has a great ability but haven't used it yet to totally love the Mon. I do think Mimikyu stole Togedemaru's thunder though.

Prakhar

Normal: The abnormal
TheKingNappy is not crazy about it and when he said it the comment section went crazy lol.
I like it I like the concept it has a great ability but haven't used it yet to totally love the Mon. I do think Mimikyu stole Togedemaru's thunder though.
What thunder? Pika-clones don't have any thunder.

Orphalesion

Well apparently they weren't. I actually wrongly believed that they were wrongly believed to be extinct, based on my own experience of encountering them in books and programs about the ancient days long before I saw them as living creatures.
Famous biologist Ernst Haeckel included them in his famous paintings of zoology and that guy died in 1919. Though there seems to be a frequent believe about Sea Lillies being/being believed to be extinct (based on my experience of talking to people) maybe it's one of those pop-cultural myths? I know dinosaur stuff used "Brontosaurus" long after it was discovered that it didn't actually exist.
Of course it has been discoevered now that Brontosaurus is it's own species after all so...

RedJirachi

Veteran member

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I'm looking it up to be certain, so I could very well be wrong there, but I thought for sure they were considered completely extinct for a time. It's been a while since I've read up on the Crinoids though, so this would be a good opportunity to learn more and refresh myself on them while I'm looking for that answer. Still, if the Magic School Bus had them then they were thought to be alive for at least a good decade, so it's more likely that GF was basing Cradily off of one of the many extinct ones then thinking the entire group was dead (unless they overlooked a detail).

Oh definitely! I remember when I first learned about it I couldn't believe it, it's such a unique thing about the deep sea and it shows that the world around us still holds some great surprises that we'd never expect.

Yeah, it's why I was confused as to why Lileep was one of the Pokémon you could get out of a fossil, as of the Pokémon I had seen up to that point, it was the only one that isn't actually extinct. I do see why people at Game Freak thought they were...but Game Freak's people are usually on the ball when it comes to doing their research--after all, Lileep and Cradily are of the same generation with Pokémon based on the colocynth, the Anomalocaris (I had mistakenly called Kabuto that when I meant Anorith), the mudskipper, and an accurate portrayal of the life cycle of an ant lion.

(I'll be waiting for them to make a Pokémon themed on the fern, then laugh as people try to breed it and they have to go through two generations to get back to the full-size plant.)

What I find amusing about the brine lakes as they are seen nowadays is that people brush off Goo Lagoon in SpongeBob SquarePants as something ridiculous when it actually has real-life basis. The show itself actually is a case of people knowing their stuff. Stephen Hillenburg, the creator of the cartoon, studied marine biology in college, after all.

Well apparently they weren't. I actually wrongly believed that they were wrongly believed to be extinct, based on my own experience of encountering them in books and programs about the ancient days long before I saw them as living creatures.
Famous biologist Ernst Haeckel included them in his famous paintings of zoology and that guy died in 1919. Though there seems to be a frequent believe about Sea Lillies being/being believed to be extinct (based on my experience of talking to people) maybe it's one of those pop-cultural myths? I know dinosaur stuff used "Brontosaurus" long after it was discovered that it didn't actually exist.
Of course it has been discoevered now that Brontosaurus is it's own species after all so...

The word "Brontosaurus" continues to be used to refer to an Apatosaurus to this day, perpetuated by stuff like The Flintstones. People who aren't into dinosaurs, or are only into it as far as the Jurassic Park movies, are still completely unaware of it. I had to make a correction to a podcast about this around mid-2016, upon which they pronounced "Apatosaurus" wrong! As it seems, they never heard the word before. (I'd like to make a correction here too: The Brontosaurus is actually a genus, not a species.)

Alolans have a laid back society.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.