• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something which bugs me a bit is how we never do discover what is under Mimikyu's cloak (at least, not in the games...). All we know is that someone who did try died of shock, while other people fell ill because of it. What atrocity could be under that piece of cloth to cause such an extreme reaction? One of my ideas is that some kind of substance that Mimikyu-under-the-blanket is made out of can stimulate a reaction in the human brain that causes the human to fall ill. Maybe that person who died was just rather sickly? It might just be how a chemical reaction works.

FowTech95

Random Passerby
Something which bugs me a bit is how we never do discover what is under Mimikyu's cloak (at least, not in the games...). All we know is that someone who did try died of shock, while other people fell ill because of it. What atrocity could be under that piece of cloth to cause such an extreme reaction? One of my ideas is that some kind of substance that Mimikyu-under-the-blanket is made out of can stimulate a reaction in the human brain that causes the human to fall ill. Maybe that person who died was just rather sickly? It might just be how a chemical reaction works.

If you watched the anime, you would see Meowth's under-the-blanket experience with Mimikyu.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

It's no different from the inside of a Shellder's shell or what's underneath Tangela's vines. There are just random mysteries about various Pokemon that are supposed to remain mysteries.

Gizmoa

I just came accross the origin for the kommo-o line and thought I should share it. Kommo-o is based in part on a man who treated people with fish scale disease, leprosy. He eventually contracted the illness himself(and sadly was genetically predisposed to the worse form of it). He carried a jingling staff to warn others he was in the area and to exercise caution to prevent infecting others (he did not know it is very hard to transmit nor that most people(~95%) are innately immune). He did his work in hawaii.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Father_Damien

Currently, many people continue to develop leprosy all over the world. In some places it is very common and people are unfairly shunned for it. In other areas, such as the USA, it is rare enough that many people live for decades with the illness undiagnosed. It is not always a skin condition, rather it causes peripheral neuropathy that progresses slowly for the victim's entire life. Leprosy is curable. If you or a loved one develops neuropathy and the cause can not be confirmed, please request a leprosy skin test to rule out this curable disease. Every year 20-50 Americans develop the skin version of the disease without any known exposure events, this is likely contributed to by the neuropathy versions of the disease going unrecognised. Another 100-300 will develope it with identifiable routes of infection.

http://www.idri.org/

Last edited:

BCVM22

That would be a very... specific origin for a Pokémon?

The "jingling staff" origin is more accurate, but it likely comes from similar staffs carried by Shinto priests, the noise scaring insects and small animals out of their path as they'd walk, to avoid being stepped on.

Is there something that says specifically that Kommo-o was based on Father Damien?

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
That would be a very... specific origin for a Pokémon?

The "jingling staff" origin is more accurate, but it likely comes from similar staffs carried by Shinto priests, the noise scaring insects and small animals out of their path as they'd walk, to avoid being stepped on.

Is there something that says specifically that Kommo-o was based on Father Damien?

I think the reasoning behind Father Damien specifically is that he worked in Hawaii. A lot of Generation VII Pokémon are based on animals, plants, and cultural concepts in Hawaii.

I wouldn't be surprised at its specificity either, considering the previous Base 600 non-Legendary, Goodra, is based on the Lou Carcolh, a mythical creature originating in France.

BCVM22

I didn't ask about the reasoning. The reasoning is sound enough. But sound reasoning makes for a good guess - it isn't tantamount to fact. Hence my asking if there was something specific to suggest an origin that specific vs. simply "it's an armored dragon with clanging scales and a tail that resembles a jangling Shinto staff."

Because it is very overly specific to say "it's not just based on a staff like that, it's based on a specific priest who carried a staff like that and did his life's work in Hawaii" without more than a guess to suggest that, however reasonable that guess may be.

Deus257

Does anyone know the situation with Oranguru and Passimian's hidden abilities? Were they scrapped? i'm not sure this is the right place to ask so forgive me.

BCVM22

Abilities don't get scrapped. Their respective Hidden Abilities simply aren't available right now, common for Pokémon in the first game(s) of their debut generation. A future Generation VII event, game or games will make them available via some means.

Baggie_Saiyan

I do really love what they did on Shinnies this Gen, a lot of the Shinnies were subtle but it works oh so very well, for example something as simple as changing the Litten line from black to white just makes it pop and look great, was the first starter I wanted to MM despite being my third fav from this Gen. Another example Vulpix/Ninetales just having a pinky purple hue makes it look even better. Sometimes Shinnies don't have to be crazy, in my book if it improves on the original design then in my opinion it is a good shiny. The only one I am no super keen on right now is Stufful/Bewear not a fan of that orange, I think pink works better for what they are going for with that line.

Hi there

Just wanted to gripe about something in the game. Sorry if this has already been discussed!

What the heck is up with alolan marowak! So I love the design and decided to raise one to be a false swiper for catching and sos chaining. Looked up the movesets and it evolves at lvl 28 yet learns shadow bone (a pretty powerful ghost move) at lvl 27!? It also learns other fire and ghost moves at lower levels before it can evolve. Doesn't even autolearn anything. This makes no sense! Have to wait till near the end of the game for the move relearner lady. Did GF screw up or are they just being jerks? Seems like a pretty bad screw up! Otherwise enjoying the game.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Alolan Marowak is really good, especially if you have it hold the Stick. This may be their way of keeping it from getting overpowered until near the end of the game.

Then again, Alola puts a few things extremely late into the game, most notably areas to evolve Pokémon. It is kind of annoying, but I can understand the reasoning behind it.

jginz1

Shiny Hunter
Alolan Marowak is really good, especially if you have it hold the Stick. This may be their way of keeping it from getting overpowered until near the end of the game.

Then again, Alola puts a few things extremely late into the game, most notably areas to evolve Pokémon. It is kind of annoying, but I can understand the reasoning behind it.

Lol don't you mean thick club?

I dont think Marowak would be overpowered if it could learn those moves sooner then the move reminder. Well theres always TMs as it can learn shadow ball and fire tms. I think those are all special moves though from TMs and his attack is higher (esp with the stick). Too bad. Probably useful for competitive battling or can raise it late in the game.

This is very random, but I love how Raichu got so much love this Gen. it got an Alolan Form with a unique type, a unique Z-move and a major use by a main character? Yes. I had always felt like Raichu needed more love, and this Gen gave it to us.

FowTech95

Random Passerby
I dont think Marowak would be overpowered if it could learn those moves sooner then the move reminder. Well theres always TMs as it can learn shadow ball and fire tms. I think those are all special moves though from TMs and his attack is higher (esp with the stick). Too bad. Probably useful for competitive battling or can raise it late in the game.

I admit that Alolan Marowak is trash until the E4 but it's especially good with Thick Club. I used one to battle against wild Pokémon in Poni Grove and she just destroys them with +2 Shadow Bone or Flame Wheel at only Lv. 37. It has enough bulk to take hits and power to destroy foes. Not only that, it also has Lightningrod, which retains its Electric immunity.

This is very random, but I love how Raichu got so much love this Gen. it got an Alolan Form with a unique type, a unique Z-move and a major use by a main character? Yes. I had always felt like Raichu needed more love, and this Gen gave it to us.

I love Raichu since the beginning but GF never showed love to the Pokémon. I'm glad they added an Alolan form and exclusive Z-Move to Raichu. Even if the game encouraged me to use Pikachu because of tutor Volt Tackle, Catastropika, and guaranteed Light Ball access, it won't stop me from evolving Pikachu into a surfing wonder than is Raichu.

xerxes

ようこそ!ワタシの音楽工場へへへへへ

Me too! I've always thought that Pichu and Pikachu are alright, but I absolutely love Raichu! Its colour scheme, tail and ears are cooler-looking than the other two's, but at the same time, it's still adorable. It doesn't really get much exposure (heck, not even the in-game trainers use it) because of Pikachu, so I'm super happy about the Alolan Raichu. I've used Raichu in every in-game team where it was available (so... all but gen V?) and the new Alolan form felt very refreshing. :>

NickChaos

Me too! I've always thought that Pichu and Pikachu are alright, but I absolutely love Raichu! Its colour scheme, tail and ears are cooler-looking than the other two's, but at the same time, it's still adorable. It doesn't really get much exposure (heck, not even the in-game trainers use it) because of Pikachu, so I'm super happy about the Alolan Raichu. I've used Raichu in every in-game team where it was available (so... all but gen V?) and the new Alolan form felt very refreshing. :>

Added to the fact the shiny looks better than the original coloration, and considering that there have been very underwhelming shinies like Cosmog, I feel that just adds to the Alolan Raichu positives. Unrelated, Alolan Raichu is an absolute monster on the battlefield, that thing has ridiculous offensive pressure.

G4Pokefan

THE AURA IS WITH ME
I'm definitely loving the Bugs this Gen. And I hardly ever have them on my team. Maybe once a generation. This gen I got both Golisopod and Chargabug on my team. Right now I'm at vast Poni canyon

If I could get some quick suggestions : Right now im trying to decide whether to level up Charja to 49 to get iron defense or just go and let it evolve while I'm there. It's at 36 right now and really don't know if it's worth it or not to teach iron defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.